Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 2,985 Words
  • 1,007 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The People of the Forest - 13. Chapter 13

Chapter 13 - Battle at the Gorge

I was shaken awake. Trevor stood by the bed, desperation across his face. “Tro has gone.”

“How can this be?”

“I don’t know. Last night, all night, he made love to me as never before. He was most loving, yet somehow desperate. He exhausted me. I woke as he left the bed and only just saw him as he climbed out the window. I ran to the window to try to stop him, but he had descended the wall into darkness before I could even utter a word.

“Try not to worry. He is of this place and perhaps has set out to learn how we might escape.”

A brightness began to fill the windows. It could not be the dawn, so deep were we in the valley and the hour had not yet come. Still the glow grew. On looking out, we could see the cause. Fires could be seen along one wall of the valley. These were not the fires of the smithies, but fires that grew to consume houses and buildings.

Then roaring and screaming could be heard. The growing brightness revealed packs of animals ranging the city. Panicked people fled from them. From the human screams we could tell that the valley’s citizens were being taken as prey.

Trumpets sounded and the citadel’s gates ground open to make way for the lord’s elite forces. I presumed they set out to bring order. In only a few minutes they were overwhelmed by fleeing people and pursuing beasts. All around the fires grew.

Among the tumult, Tro calmly strode into view below our window. He nodded and gestured toward the gate. This was our moment of escape. My panic over how to contact Reskin was answered by Tro’s next gesture. He pointed to the next set of windows, no doubt rooms adjoining our own. Before I could speak, Gar was out the window, scaling along a narrow ledge. Moments later he returned carrying a woman with a child strapped to her back. He was followed by Reskin, also with a child strapped to his back.

“We saw and heard the uproar and made ready,” Reskin whispered. “The citadel and city beyond are in turmoil. I think we might escape through the gates in this roiling madness.”

As Reskin had suggested, the central court and main gate were a maelstrom of guards struggling to exit against a tide of citizens seeking the safety of the citadel. Our little group hunkered down behind Gar’s broad back and followed him behind a platoon of exiting soldiers. We were only a few steps past the gate, when Tro appeared and pulled us aside. He guided us along the citadel’s walls to an obscure passageway. He led with an authority that must come from knowledge gained during his life here in the Deep Valley. At the bottom of the path, we were suddenly surrounded by all manner of wild and frenzied beasts, great cats, wolves and dogs, many with bloodied jaws. Tro marched us among them showing no concern. All these creatures gave him deference.

“You freed them?” I asked. “And the fires, it was you.”

He nodded.

“This is the diversion we need to make our escape.”

Again he nodded, adding a gesture that indicated that we needed to hurry. Trevor gently took Reskin’s daughter from his wife. “You can travel faster if I help.” Again following Tro, we dashed through the city. All around us the nightmare of violence and destruction raged, yet Tro led us unfalteringly along. The valley seemed to narrow, I assumed that we were approaching the passage out of the valley. Tro motioned for us to conceal ourselves behind a low wall. I peered above to see what lay ahead. Tro had led us to the passage that led out of the valley. In place of the two guards we had passed on our entry were a dozen or so clearly prohibiting anyone from leaving.

Tro gestured for me to have a moment’s patience. He cocked his head, waiting for some sound. From all directions an army of enraged beasts sprang out, putting the guards to flight. We sprinted through the opening and proceeded up the path at a run. I saw Tro and Gar pause to pick up swords dropped by the fleeing guards.

The sound of many marching meet resounded from behind us. I glanced back. There forming up at a distance into the valley were the lord’s troops. Armed and organized, even the beasts could not deter this army. Their objective was clear, it was to detain us. On and on we ran, though our way was slowed by our need to carry the children. Gar picked up Lyana, Reskin’s wife, as she began to faulter with exhaustion.

The army gained ground on us until it was clear we could not outrun them. We had reached a narrowed section of the passage. Tro broke off his lead to scramble up the side of the nearly sheer cliff. Moments after we passed, the ground shook and an avalanche of rocks plunged into the passage. Tro nodded at my question, “You?”

The blocked passage served to slow our pursuers, not stop them. Soldiers could be seen scaling the obstructing boulders and leaping down to reform their ranks. On they pressed, on we ran.

The brightening of sky above us and the easing of the incline indicated that we were nearing the end of the passage. I turned to tell my companions only to see the soldiers nearly upon us.

“Trevor, take Reskin and his wife and children, flee to our friends beyond.” Tro and Gar already understood. We must turn to oppose our pursuers if any of us was to escape.

I had only just accepted the sword Tro presented to me when Reskin snatched it from my hand. “Reskin, you must flee.”

“No, Simon. I will defend my family. This I must do.” Never was a man more resolute.

Tro and Reskin stood in the narrow passage brandishing their swords. The coming army all but halted in shock at the site of these brave men. The moment passed when their leaders ordered them to press on. Gar pushed me along the passage then turned back to the fight. I was now unarmed so had little choice but to continue after Trevor, Alyana and the children. I sprinted ahead to rally the friendly forces who waited for us beyond the gorge.

Radley met me at the entry to the defile at the head of his forces. Even at that distance, the furor occurring in the Deep Valley could be heard.

“Trevor, take our precious charges to the safety of the rear.” Then to Radley, “Come, the army of the lord of the Deep Valley is right behind us.”

On reentering the passage, I beheld a sight of bravery and devotion and horror. There, opposing an army were Tro, Reskin and Gar. Tro and Reskin confronted the soldiers as they came through the narrow passage, their swords a blur of destruction. Gar fought off those who managed to get past those two, protecting their backs. Several soldiers appeared on top of a boulder at one side, seeking to outflank Tro and Reskin. Gar dashed toward them, laying them waste. Then the horror, I looked back at Tro and Reskin only to see them overwhelmed by a wave of soldiers. Gar fell back, dragging me away from the battle.

Of a sudden, the fighting stopped. It was then I could hear the approach of Radley and our friends. The soldiers of the Deep Valley could not know how strong a force now confronted them and retreated from the scene. Radley’s troops pursued the fleeing soldiers.

I continued up the passage to make sure Lyana and the children had reached safety. I found Trevor with them, a sword in hand standing guard. In that moment, I marveled at how the bookish, gentle man who had come to help me with clerical tasks now stood before me, grim-faced, fierce and resolved to protect his charges.

Radley, leading his men, emerged from the passage to the valley. They were not fleeing, but somberly marching. At the rear of the column were two groups of soldiers carrying something on their shoulders. As they neared I could see what they carried were the bodies of men.

Radley stopped in front of me. “It must have been a fiercesome fight. Hundreds of dead men lay around them. I have no doubt that their courage and bravery accounted for the escape.”

I could now see that the bodies were Reskin and Tro. My deep sadness was suddenly overwhelmed. What of Gar? I turned and ran past the marching soldiers into the defile. There, alone, stood Gar. He was battered and bleeding, but alive. I ran to him, embraced him and led him the final steps out of the Valley of the Deep to join the others.

As we approached, the air was shattered by a cry of despair. Alyana embraced the body of her husband, Reskin.

Nearby, the crumbled form of Trevor lay at the side of Tro’s body. He wept silently.

I knelt at Trevor’s side, trying to offer comfort. “Never has such bravery been shown as by these two men. Let us prepare a fitting rest for them.”

Radley approached us. “Simon, it would be better for us to retreat further from the Valley of the Deep. They may regroup and attack again. We must wait to honor these fallen man. Come.”

I tended to Gar’s wounds using herbs we had gathered in preparation for the mission. Litters were prepared to carry Reskin and Tro’s bodies. We set off again, retracing our earlier journey. The group of soldiers guarding the bridge over the chasm retreated on our approach, allowing us to pass unchallenged. The demeanor of battle must have shown on our faces.

We proceeded on through the night, reaching the crossroads where the way to the City of Walls intersected with the ways to the City of the River, the City of the Cliffs and Valley of the Deep. The area had long ago been cleared of the surrounding forest. In ancient times it had been a place where a market was held to exchange goods and products, a practice that had fallen away as each city turned in on itself in fear or jealousy of the other cities.

I approached Radley, expecting each of us to go our separate ways to our respective cities, when I saw a contingent of men approaching from the direction of the City of the Cliffs. I recognized the man at the head of their column as one of the officials who had treated us falsely. On seeing me, surrounded by an army of soldiers, he came to a sudden halt, sending his own men into disarray. I could see his mind working, trying to assess what our presence could mean.

He spoke to me, stammering. “Uh, your Excellency, ummm, how good to see you. We had heard of a struggle among our neighbors and came to see if we could assist. Have you come from the City of Walls?”

By his words I knew he was keeping his options open. “No, good sir. We come from the Valley of the Deep.”

“But that’s impossible. The Lord of the Deep Valley would never permit anyone to escape, I mean depart. And you are an armed force. Have you attacked one of our neighbors?”

“We indeed, did ‘depart’, as you say, despite the wishes of the lord and have been attacked by his forces, but have prevailed. We seek only to leave in peace.”

“As it should be,” he acknowledged, still clearly wondering what side would be to his advantage to support, our forces being much larger than his own group yet without the aggression of the Deep Valley.

One of our soldiers called out, “There, in the pass, the army of the Deep Valley approaches.”

We all turned to see that in the distance a vast army was cresting the first of several hills heading toward us.

I turned to the leader from the City of Cliffs, “Well, how do you stand?”

I could tell he did not like his options as he grudgingly offered his support of us.

Radley came to stand by me. “I wouldn’t trust him. Let’s put his group off to one flank where we can keep an eye on them if they switch sides.

On the army of the Deep Valley came at a forced march, disappearing behind each successive hill to appear atop the next. Curiously, as they came closer they seemed to diminish in numbers. I could now see the Lord of the Deep Valley at the head of the army, surrounded by his generals then the troops.

Knowing we could not outrun them, we braced to do battle. We formed up the forces we had into battle array, taking Radley’s suggestion for the group from the City of Cliffs.

The Lord of the Deep Valley and his retinue came to a halt just across the clearing. “Give up those who fled me or face the wrath of my great army.”

Oddly, only the lord and his few generals faced us. I could see the empty road behind them. Where was this army? It seemed to have melted away. I turned to my companions to confirm that what I was seeing was not an illusion. Gar turned toward me with a slight smile, then pushed me forward to confront the lord.

“What army is this you threaten us with?”

The lord laughed. “Why, the mightiest host these lands have ever seen. Behold my power!” gesturing behind him.

It was now our turn to laugh. Like a wave, laughter washed across our forces.

“Do you defy me?” the lord threatened.

“Here, now and forever, yes I defy you,” I replied emboldened.

I could see turmoil among the generals who clearly expected to see their army at their backs, not an empty road. One of them worked up the courage to approach the Lord of the Deep Valley. His words to the lord, whatever they were, enraged the lord who struck him, then spun around. The lord’s incredulity was evident from his frantic gestures.

The attitude of the generals began to change. The moved from being subserviently behind the lord to surrounding him. I heard the lord’s angry shouts, calling for his generals to rally the army. One general confronted the lord, shouting, “You fool, you have destroyed us,” and plunged a dagger into a gap in the lord’s armor. The other generals closed ranks hiding their actions from my view.

One of their number stepped toward us, his hands bloodied. “Excellency, please allow me to treat with you.” The other generals also approached, leaving behind them the bleeding remains of the Lord of the Deep Valley.

“Excellency, I know not how we are defeated, but I am thankful beyond measure to be rid of him. I ask that you forbear judgment on us at this time and allow us to retreat in peace. While we are indeed complicit in the lord’s evil deeds for not opposing him, we, none of us, shared his ambition though we were in his thrall. Until this moment, we saw no means to free ourselves and our people from him. Now it is done. We ask that we be spared to return to our ruined city to save what we can, to begin again and follow your example of peace.” His sincerity was apparent.

“I cannot give you forgiveness, as you ask, though I also cannot judge. I will consult with the leaders of the cities you have acted against and seek their council. In the meantime, go back to the Valley of the Deep and act as you suggest.”

The generals turned and began a solemn procession away from us. I stood, still nonplussed at the disappearance of our foe, though rejoicing in the turn of events. One of Radley’s men was sent out as a scout to see what he could find.

A short while later the scout returned. “Radley, Simon, it is the most amazing thing. All through the woods along the road, there are soldiers tied to trees. None seem to be hurt, but all are cleverly bound. I can see no explanation for it, yet there it is.”

Gar nodded wisely.

Trevor rose from his grief. “It must be the People of the Forest. It is as the ancient texts told. They subdue violence by denying the attackers’ numbers.”

From the nearby woods, and elder of Gar’s people emerged. He approached Gar solemnly, distress on his face. Gar acknowledged him, then sank to his knees in tears.

“Gar, what is it? You and your people have saved us.”

Trevor knelt by Gar’s side, embracing him. “I understand now some fragments of a scroll I found. I cannot believe that this is the intended consequence.” Simon looked up at me. “Gar is a healer, he protects life, he gives his life essence.” I nodded my agreement. “In this battle he has killed. There is no doubt that his actions were in service to the king and to save life, but by taking life, he sacrifices his own. There will be a judgment, but it can have only one outcome. Simon, Gar, how can this be?”

Rather than in celebration of our victory, the stunned members of our party quietly turned each to their own city and walked away in silence. I embraced Radley and sent my gratitude to his father and people. The group from the City of Cliffs discretely skirted us on their way. I joined our greatly diminished party, lending my shoulder to carry Tro’s body. Whatever might come next for Gar, our duty was to bury these our heroic dead.

End of Chapter 13
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..