Jump to content
    Rosenkrantz
  • Author
  • 1,231 Words
  • 1,787 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2013 - Spring - A Night To Remember Entry

The Strength of Love - 1. Chapter 1

The symptoms started two years ago. I should have been more careful. My father had had it, so I should’ve known not to drink, not to do anything to further damage my brain. But I’d been careless.

First I started getting insomnia. I wouldn’t sleep for days at a time, popping caffeine pills like candy and frustrating the hell out of Adam.

Then I started hearing things. I’d be working at my desk, and someone would whisper into my ear. It wasn’t bad at first.

Then the visions started. It got so that I couldn’t look straight at my boss because I was scared of what I would see in place of his face. When it started happening with Adam as well I stopped functioning. Adam would leave for work, expecting me to leave a few minutes later, like normal, but I would get undressed and lay in bed all day. I was fired within a week.

Adam didn’t understand why I wasn’t communicating with him. He thought it was because of my troubles at work.

After about a year of this, I could tell he was getting tired. I was continually forgetting to shower, brush my teeth; I couldn’t even properly clothe myself.

I still loved him dearly, but I didn’t know how to get it out anymore. Showing affection became a huge task. He kept begging me to let him take me to the doctor, but every time the subject came up, we’d scream at each other for hours.

Finally, one day, I was trying to do something for him. I tried cooking him dinner but got lost halfway through. I wandered away and left the pot on high. When Adam came home the stove was on fire and I was sitting on the couch watching TV.

He called my sister, who we spoke to barely twice a year, and asked her if she knew what was going on. She told him about our father and agreed to come up and help take me to a hospital.

The hospital psychologist confirmed what she thought.

I had disorganized schizophrenia.

They had me committed at the closest mental health facility and Adam came to visit me three times a week. My speech had degraded so much that I couldn’t even say his name.

“Dam.” I called him.

He cried every time he left.

Even though I knew he was hurting, his visits were the highlight of my week. He’d come and read Walt Whitman poems to me, laying on my small bed with me snuggled up against his side. He’d listen to me chatter about what had happened since the last time he had visited, though he probably couldn’t understand anything I was saying. My words came out jumbled, and I couldn’t stay on one topic very long.

Sometimes he would cry into my hair while he was holding me. I would try to comfort him, but every time I spoke he would cry harder.

I had a bad day when he came once, he started crying and I got frustrated because I couldn’t make him feel better like I used to.

I tried to undo his pants but he stopped me and told me that we couldn’t do that. I started screaming and threw a lamp against the wall. He wrapped his arms around me and held me as I screeched and flailed.

He didn’t come back for two weeks.

When he did visit again, I tried to make myself better. I behaved as well as I could and tried to speak as articulately as possible. He seemed happy that I was trying more.

Soon after, the doctors started me on a new drug, and it seemed to work. The voices quieted and the visions that the other drugs had dampened went away. My thoughts eventually straightened out and I started functioning by myself.

The first time I had already showered and dressed myself when Adam came to visit me he wrapped me up impossibly tight in his arms and didn’t let go until he had to leave.

The next time, we talked. He asked me questions and I was able to properly answer him without getting off topic. He started talking about bringing me home.

First we tried weekend trips. He picked me on Friday after he got off work and we went straight home. He cooked me dinner and we watched Airplane!, one of my favorite movies. We kissed a little, but nothing else happened. He brought me back Sunday afternoon.

Five more weekends like this went by. One night I finally scraped up the courage to stiltedly ask him if he didn’t want me anymore. We were lying in bed, and he turned me to face him. He stroked my face and told me he loved me more than ever. He was just worried that I might not be ready.

I told him that if he didn’t make love to me right then, I didn’t want to come home the next weekend.

It was the first time we had had sex in over a year.

It was as amazing as all of our other times smashed together into one. He was so gentle with me, and I tried to give as much back to him as I could. I wanted him to realize that I still needed him, not just because of my disease, but because I loved him.

After a few more months of weekend trips, the doctors said that my schizophrenia was now residual and that if Adam was comfortable, he could take me home.

I still had to meet with a shrink twice a week, but we were happy.

The drugs made me tired and twitchy and I had permanent dry mouth, but I was determined to stay on them for Adam.

Eventually I was able to get a job as a clerk at a grocery store down the street. It wasn’t much, but Adam was so proud of me.

Every day he showered me with love and chased my shadows further into the recesses of my mind.

He was healing me.

***

Adam died last week.

He was hit by a truck on his way home from work. The police found flowers and a card addressed to me on the passenger seat.

It said;

Dear Eli,

I will always love you. No matter how disorganized or scattered you get, I’ll always be there to hold you. The whole time you were hospitalized, I kept reading about the people who were never able to recover. I was so scared. Sometimes I called in sick to work, I missed you so much. I would sit in the living room just holding your picture. But every time I went to see you, I could see the determination in your eyes. I can still see it every day. Your strength told me that we could do it. We would make it through, together. I know it’s hard, I know sometimes you hate taking your pills, but you do it anyway. You’re stronger than I could ever hope to be. Keep being the amazing man you’ve always been. I love you.

Happy Anniversary,

Adam.

I’m still taking my pills. Eventually, when the day comes that I get to be with him again, I want to be able to tell him that I stayed strong.

Copyright © 2013 Rosenkrantz; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2013 - Spring - A Night To Remember Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Why oh why does life be so cruel to the loveliest people? :( R.I.P. Adam **crying** Poor Eli, though!

Very nicely written, my friend :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Good grief!!! You made the hair on my arms stand up and gave me chill bumps with that ending. It was so unexpected and sad. To work so had to be with the one you love and have it taken away in the blink of an eye. Very powerful story and I loved it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You hooked me immediately with : The symptoms started two years ago. I should have been more careful. My father had had it, so I should’ve known not to drink, not to do anything to further damage my brain. But I’d been careless.

And gradually the story sucked me in. The hopelessness of Eli and Adam's situation brought tears to my eyes. I love emotional stories and I love crying when I read a good story. Yours was marvelous.

Sure, it's filled with tragedy and conflict. But those are the ingredients you have stirred to turn this into a good story.

And then the letter. I was blown away because Adam had never stopped loving Eli. He never would. Through Eli's illness they had grown together. And it was well, it was like Adam had been put here on this earthly plane to teach Eli something, strength maybe, maybe that love transcends all hardships, or maybe something else, and when the lesson was well learnt, Adam went home.

Thank you for this lesson. I loved reading it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Very well done. Not every story has a happy ending to be an excellent tale. This is definitely one of those. Even as short as it is, you have crafted a complete, compelling tale. You should be very proud of this work.

 

Excellent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I enjoyed this. The emotion of the narrator was threaded throughout the piece without becoming melodramatic. You hit the right note with the ending too. Well done!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like how you have the courage just to tell the story without trying to drag out the emotions or make it overly dramatic. It hits home directly that way. Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

OMG WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY D::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: DO YOU DO THIS TO ME

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It touched my heart, it really did. I was not expecting this kind of end. They were so much in love and made through the toughest time of their life together and then...Adam was gone. His last note made me very emotional. Very nice story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Life isn't perfect and you don't always get a happy ending. Adam was an incredible man and you handled both Eli's illness and Adam's death very well. Can't wait to read your next work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/15/2013 04:20 AM, SidLove said:
Why oh why does life be so cruel to the loveliest people? :( R.I.P. Adam **crying** Poor Eli, though!

Very nicely written, my friend :hug:

Thank you(:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/15/2013 04:30 AM, joann414 said:
Good grief!!! You made the hair on my arms stand up and gave me chill bumps with that ending. It was so unexpected and sad. To work so had to be with the one you love and have it taken away in the blink of an eye. Very powerful story and I loved it. :)
I'm flattered that my writing can get that kind of reaction, haha. Thank you.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/15/2013 04:54 AM, LJH said:
You hooked me immediately with : The symptoms started two years ago. I should have been more careful. My father had had it, so I should’ve known not to drink, not to do anything to further damage my brain. But I’d been careless.

And gradually the story sucked me in. The hopelessness of Eli and Adam's situation brought tears to my eyes. I love emotional stories and I love crying when I read a good story. Yours was marvelous.

Sure, it's filled with tragedy and conflict. But those are the ingredients you have stirred to turn this into a good story.

And then the letter. I was blown away because Adam had never stopped loving Eli. He never would. Through Eli's illness they had grown together. And it was well, it was like Adam had been put here on this earthly plane to teach Eli something, strength maybe, maybe that love transcends all hardships, or maybe something else, and when the lesson was well learnt, Adam went home.

Thank you for this lesson. I loved reading it.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right. It's nice to think of Adam as an angel or some higher being that came down to be with Eli while he could. Kind of like Wings of Desire.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/15/2013 06:01 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
Very well done. Not every story has a happy ending to be an excellent tale. This is definitely one of those. Even as short as it is, you have crafted a complete, compelling tale. You should be very proud of this work.

 

Excellent.

Thank you, as it's barely more than 1000 words and has garnered more feedback than any of my other stories, I definitely am proud, haha(:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/15/2013 06:26 AM, Dolores Esteban said:
The ending is so sad and tragic. A very touching story. Thank you.
Thank you for reading(:
Link to comment
On 03/15/2013 06:45 AM, Percy said:
I enjoyed this. The emotion of the narrator was threaded throughout the piece without becoming melodramatic. You hit the right note with the ending too. Well done!
Thanks, I actually wrote it with a happy ending first, where they gt a new house and a puppy and extremely HEA, but it didn't feel right. I'm glad i made the right choice.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/16/2013 03:42 AM, sacredlove said:
It touched my heart, it really did. I was not expecting this kind of end. They were so much in love and made through the toughest time of their life together and then...Adam was gone. His last note made me very emotional. Very nice story.
Thank you, I actually cried as I was writing the last scene. I felt silly, but it's so easy to get connected. I'm glad it wasn't just me, haha(:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/16/2013 03:57 AM, comicfan said:
Life isn't perfect and you don't always get a happy ending. Adam was an incredible man and you handled both Eli's illness and Adam's death very well. Can't wait to read your next work.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/15/2013 07:48 AM, carringtonrj said:
I like how you have the courage just to tell the story without trying to drag out the emotions or make it overly dramatic. It hits home directly that way. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much(:
Link to comment

Some people go through so much in life just to appear human to the rest of society. To be able to interact, to share, to love, to live.

We don't take enough time to give thought to the things that folk go through to be the people we know them as, and in reading this I felt humbled to see through the eyes of someone who's walking this path.

Life is never fair. It is a fact that we are constantly learning to deal with, and it is encouraging to see that even in the hardest pain of losing someone so special, Eli remains faithful to his commitment to be all he can for Adam.

Such a beautiful thought to end on.

Hard story to read. You kind of want to know why it always happens that way, but heart warming all the same, and I'm really glad that you took the time to share a story that touches a realm of mental health we never really hear about. It is not something I can say was easy or fun to read, but was great for other reasons. :) x

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow, this hit home. Having lived with a schizophrenic, your story brought back so manymemories. Raw emotions still at the surface. An amazing honest story, well done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Baaaaaaaaa,sniff sniff. This story was fantastic. It started off deep and just went deeper. Enduring love and strength. I think one of the other reviewers had it right that Adam was here to teach Eli a life lesson. Thank you for showing the other side of mental health issues. That 'almost surprise' of finding yourself slipping away from your life and the fight to regain yourself. Awesome Awesome, Brava!! :Vic2:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..