Jump to content
    Sasha Distan
  • Author
  • 567 Words
  • 1,318 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Me Hard - 10. Prompt 238 - The Date

Ethan hasn't been on a date in months, and he's let work take over his life. No Gareth, a cute chocolate eyed guy from the art department had asked him on a rather weird date

“Sorry?” I stared at Gareth, “You want me to come a date with you and do… what?”

I hadn’t been on a date in years, not since the six month wrecking ball that had been me and Jeremy, up and down the entire time until we were dizzy and depressed. Jeremy had ended up in rehab on suicide watch and I had ended up drinking my way through two bottles of whiskey and getting my stomach pumped. At least I hadn’t jumped off a bridge.

Since then, work had consumed everything. I had always loved working at the magazine, but after everything that had happened, I allowed myself to be the guy who got called on. Late night – early morning edits of The Book when the editor in chief changed her mind at the last possible moment. I was the man who came in when it was still dark and slept on the sofa in his office when the printers were jammed. By the time I’d been throwing myself into work for three years, I had a bigger office, the run of the layout department, two assistants and an intern. And Gareth.

Gareth was in the art department too. I’d sort of noticed him in between weeks where I hadn’t slept and lived on coffee. He was shorter than me, cute is a sort of bookish manner, with wire framed glasses and short hair. You wouldn’t peg him as an artist. Hell, I hadn’t even pegged him as gay, and I’d seen the man pretty much day in and day out for two years. Now this.

“Model for me,” Gareth repeated. His eyes were smiling behind his glasses, and I’d never noticed before how brown they were, how delightfully chocolate coloured against his mocha skin. “Please. I’ll buy you dinner and everything.”

“Erm…” I hadn’t even thought about having a date with someone. I was basically living like a teenager again, working hard and spending an amount of less than quality time with my right hand and my imagination.

“Please Ethan.”

The way he said my name did me in. no one had said my name like that in years. He spoke the two syallables like he cared about me. Really cared. The interns and other staff said my name as a shout of panic, a rush of frustration, panic, anger. My name was a firm symbol in meetings, something with authority, people always asking what did Ethan think, what decision did Ethan want to make. Now Gareth said my name like he cared about my happiness.

“Sure,” Why not? “Where are we gonna do this? I mean…”

“Oh god!” Gareth threw up his hands, “Not in my apartment! It’s too small. My friend is the curator at the City Gallery, I thought we could go there.”

“OK.”

“I’ll pick you up at eight?”

And there I was, agreeing to go on a date with a guy I barely knew to an empty art gallery to model for him. As Gareth smiled and turned to go, I realised that I didn’t even know where my non-work clothes were, I couldn’t remember the last time I’d shaped and trimmed up down there and I hadn’t even asked him what sort of modelling or what sort of media he was going to be working in.

It was a weird offer, but what could possibly go wrong?

Original Prompt 238 – The Offer.
You haven't been on a date in months and truthfully, you've let work take over your life. Then out of left field your co-worker asks you out. However, it isn't a normal date they want. What is the offer they are making to you?
Copyright © 2013 Sasha Distan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I liked this prompt and I liked what I saw of the characters. It left me curious to know more, like an excerpt from a book might. I can easily see this expanded into something longer someday,

Link to comment
On 09/14/2013 11:26 AM, avidreadr said:
I liked this prompt and I liked what I saw of the characters. It left me curious to know more, like an excerpt from a book might. I can easily see this expanded into something longer someday,
thanks Avid. they sound like a weird and cute sort of couple to me. who knows?
Link to comment

Jeeez - you are as bad as Mann - every prompt sounds like an opening chapter!

Avidreader is right - it should continue!

Should I get one of those nice gel cushions for my desk chair?

Link to comment
On 09/19/2013 10:09 PM, Kitt said:
Jeeez - you are as bad as Mann - every prompt sounds like an opening chapter!

Avidreader is right - it should continue!

Should I get one of those nice gel cushions for my desk chair?

i like gel cushions, makes everything better.
Link to comment
On 09/23/2013 12:02 AM, Geemeedee said:
Wow. I'd like to read that. Particularly interested in the drama that was Ethan's last relationship.
thanks very much
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..