Jump to content
    Sasha Distan
  • Author
  • 3,533 Words
  • 4,636 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Summer Camp - 20. Good Boys Get Presents

“Morning babe.”

“Hrrmmm.” Paddy yawned, found the quilt and tried to pull it over his head.

“Happy birthday Patrick.”

Paddy was going to say it was too early to get up on his birthday, but his train of through was interrupted by Troy’s hot mouth wrapping around his morning erection. Paddy relaxed back into the pillows with a sigh. It was good to be the birthday boy.

Things had been tense on Monday. They had cleared the site, opened up the tents and the children had arrived completely high on ozone and sugar. It was July, and the students were excited by the prospect of the school holidays, the teachers were exhausted by the long term, and it was easy to forget all of the drama of the weekend as they hustled the students into groups and towards their activities. Paddy had spent the whole afternoon with two different groups on the assault course, thinking very hard of everything other than the first time Troy had given him a blowjob.

The evening had not gone well, Sean had been overheard trying to reason with their boss, who had been icy since the incident at the fire, and after dinner Noah had gotten a call from Benny and Sandra, and the boys had taken themselves off to the Lake View site for the evening. It had been easier than staying put. Afterwards they had gone for a run in the woods, played around in their fur, rubbing against each other and the new needles of the growing pines until the air had been full of scent and love.

“Oh babe…” Paddy panted as Troy pillowed himself on his abdomen, arms crossed, looking like a cat that had literally just got the cream. “I love you.”

“Good birthday wake up?” Troy beamed. “We are actually going to have to get up now.”

“Really?” Paddy ran his fingers through Troy’s hair. It had gotten longer over the summer, brushing his shoulders. Paddy was terribly tempted to try and plait it. “Can wi nae stay in bed all day pet?”

“I’m not sure it works like that babe. It might be your birthday but the kids are still here.”

“Damn.” Paddy sighed and curled his stomach up to plant a quick kiss on Troy’ forehead. “Ach, a’rite then. Up we go.”

Dressed and roughly brushed, they nipped out to the toilet block and back again, and Paddy arrived in the big marquee in plenty of time to help Sean and Noah set up for breakfast. It was Nic’s turn to help, but he was suspiciously absent. It was the second day, so the kids were still hyped up and crazy despite sleeping on whatever they and their parents had deemed suitable mattresses for camping. These mostly involved the thin foam roll up sheets sold by more upscale sporting goods stores. Paddy had always believed they were secretly designed by someone who loved the wilderness in an attempt to make the less dedicated hate the outdoors. The kids were achy, but excited to see them, and more excited by the prospect of a hot breakfast than anything else. Sean ended up sorting the groups, and Paddy took a rag tag group of ten kids up towards the lake for a messy kayaking session.

“Eww!” One of the girls squealed as she stood in the knee high water. She had not been prepared for the fact that camp was not in fact fully upholstered and vacuumed daily. “There’s fish in here!”

“Well o’ course thar’s fish in there lassie.” Paddy shook his head and steadied the kayak with one hand. “Good eating on a trout pet.”

“You can eat the fish in here?” A boy with freshly buzz cut hair looked shocked as he rocked his weight experimentally in the canoe. “Can we do that?”

“Ach laddie, I aten’t sure it’d be wise. But if ye’s liek, I’ll show ye how tae catch them wi’ yer hands.”

Even the girl who had looked squeamish greeted this news with whooping joy. Paddy got them all in the boats and taught them how to paddle, and then, for a blissful glorious hour, he taught the teenagers how to catch fish in the clear waters from their boats. He let the trout go again afterwards, thanking it for its few seconds of cooperation. Together they tried to catch fish, fell out of kayaks and generally mucked about in the water. It was like being with cubs, and Paddy wondered what it would be like to do a job like this all the time. To teach like this, outside in nature, but in an environment where there would be no hate from Alexia and no small-mindedness from Nic; to teach human cubs to love nature like he did, and to do it in the nature that he loved, to be near his family at the same time.

Gregg would love it. Paddy smiled, wishing the little hare was there with them still. Oh Great Spirits, let him know we care about him. Someone out here cares about him.

They had exhausted everyone by lunch, which was no mean feat. The only sign Nic was even around was that things in the mess hall had movement while they were all out. The tell-tale marks of a breakfast made of lukewarm Foster’s and the empty shape Nic had left in his favourite wing chair. Sean took over the role as camp leader without a fuss, and even Ava’s attempts at inquiry as to where Nic was were met with stony silence. Paddy couldn’t bring himself to care. It was his birthday, the sun was shining, and Troy loved him.

“Got something for you babe.” Troy sat on the long bench next to his lover and slipped something into his hand. “Arrived while you were out on the lake.”

Paddy didn’t question why his mate had his phone, just took it. The signal had been so patchy all summer he had barely used it, but now it was switched on, and displayed on screen was a cartoon drawing of a rabbit holding a paper banner with the words ‘Happy Birthday’ in gaudy script.

“Eh?” Paddy scrolled down past the image.

Happy birthday Paddy! I hope I got the right day, I forgot to write it down after Troy told me. I hope you have an awesome day and that the campfire goes well. Lots of love xxx

There was a second message

It’s Gregg btw. Sorry. Xxx

Paddy laughed, clutching the phone to his chest.

“Aww pet. Ye told ‘im it were me birthday?”

“Yes.” Troy laid his head on his mate’s shoulder with a sigh. “You miss him, don’t you?” Paddy nodded softly. “Me too.” The lynx took the phone back and secreted it into one of the many pockets of his combat shorts. “He’s a good kid.”

Nic still hadn’t made an appearance after lunch, so Sean re shuffled the groups and sent everyone out into the forest for afternoon activities. By the time dinner rolled around, everyone was tired, the teaching staff was so exhausted they were next to useless and the students hunger was about the only thing propping them up. Nic showed up for hot cocoa and didn’t say a word to anyone about where he’d been, but he looked drawn and tired, very much as though he hadn’t slept. They sent the kids to bed that night in the sure and certain knowledge none of them would be up and awake before they had to be.

Paddy wanted nothing more than to sit and read, and then curl up in bed with his lover and cuddle, or do other deeply nefarious things, most of which involved Troy causing him some severe amount of pleasure. But he was interrupted in his plan by Nic, standing outside the door of cabin four with his arms crossed over his chest and a dark look on his face. Paddy sighed.

“You moved your beds.”

Realising Nic had been in their cabin, Paddy growled and tugged quickly on the heart string connecting him to Troy.

“Looks cosy.”

“Wha’ d’ye want Nic?” Paddy’s anger dissipated at his boss’s words. But it was still his birthday, and he wanted to be left in peace with the man he loved. “I’m tired a’ yer issues.”

“I came to apologise. I shouldn’t have asked you and Troy to keep your relationship quiet.”

“Aye.” Paddy folded his arms.

“You aren’t going to make this easy on me are you?”

“Nae lad.” Paddy smirked. “I told ye tae save it before when I thought ye was jus’ a scared fool who didnae ken better. Now I ken ye can be a right mean b’stard, ye goin’ tae hae tae grovel tae git back in me good graces.”

“Are you and Troy really going to leave?”

“Aye, we might if ye’s do nae turn up fer work again. Ye do realise we hae a group on site right now?”

“I’m fucking sorry Paddy.”

The big Scot simply raised an eyebrow at him.

“I should never have let my relationship with another member of staff dictate my interactions with you. I should have defended you when others cast aspersions. I should never have doubted that you were anything other than a good instructor. I’m sorry.” He looked miserable and tired.

Paddy sighed and ruffled the older man’s hair quickly. Nic looked shocked.

“Ach now daen’t ye be gittin’ all stand offish again. Ye forgiven.” Paddy smelt his mate, felt the echo in his heart beat as he approached. “Ye might need tae say somethin’ tae Troy too. We d’nae hae the same brain.”

“Babe?” Troy bounced on the balls of his feet a little as his jog slowed to a halt, one hand on Paddy’s waist. “Everything OK?”

“Aye pet. Nic jus’ had somethin’ he wanted tae say te ye.” Paddy stroked Troy’s spine and felt the actions reflected along the path to his heart. He shuddered with happiness. “Night Nic.”

It was nice to be back in the safe space of the cabin, nicer still to realise it would not be long now until they were home and safe, free of everything, and then less wonderful to sniff the air as he sat on the bed and snarl in shock as a hand touched his ankle.

“Has he gone now?” Noah blinked up at him from under the bed, the fall of the quilt making a curtain across the space. “I thought he was going to stand there in shock until you walked in.”

“Noah, do nae get me wrong laddie, but why the fuck are ye under me bed?” Paddy got up and helped his Canadian friend clamber to his feet. He brought with him a clunky black laptop.

“Nic sorta startled me, so I hid. I got a birthday surprise for you.” He opened the hibernating computer and placed it on the bed. “I mean, what do you give the bear who has everything?”

A car? Paddy thought. His parents were fully expecting to have to come and get him, and Paddy couldn’t stomach the idea of sharing Troy and their first few hours fully alone together with his parents, regardless of how much he loved them. A house by the lake, a job for when I get there?

The laptop took that opportunity to jingle at them, and Paddy stared at the screen. On screen was a woman who could have only been Noah’s mother, because she had the same easy smile and waved when she saw Paddy and her son through the camera lens.

“Hey mom!” Noah adjusted the angle of the screen. “Is he there?”

“Yes, he’s here. This must be Paddy.” She waved again. “It’s nice to meet you finally. Happy birthday.”

“Ta ver’ much.” Paddy smiled. “Who is’t we’re waitin’ fer lad?” He asked Noah.

“Gosh you do have a strong accent.” Mrs. Avery smiled. “I’m afraid Noah’s impressions aren’t very good. I suppose it won’t make a difference to Darryl.”

Paddy raised an eyebrow at his Canadian friend, and then Noah’s mum vanished as she turned the web camera around. Sitting in the centre of what looked like someone’s living room, all log walls and rich area rugs, was an enormous black bear.

“Wrruum?”

Paddy blinked.

“Hey Darryl!” Noah waved to the bear, whose ears swivelled forwards when he spoke. “Paddy, this is my cousin Darryl. He wanted to meet you.”

Never, not the in the presence of Troy had Paddy been so desperate to get naked. Luckily the tilt of the screen and Noah’s quick deft finger over the lens covered his modesty, because he was much too excited to bother. So it was that Troy walked into his cabin to find his friend and his lover, who was wearing fur, holding a conversation over the wonders of the internet, with another bear.

Paddy sat in front of the laptop, completely enthralled enough not to immediately notice the appearance of his mate.

“I see what Noah meant about your markings. Very cool man. You sure you don’t dye them in?” Darryl chuckled.

“Wha’ else did he tell ye?” Paddy flicked an ear at his friend.

“Only good things Paddy.” Darryl glanced across the screen. “Is that him?”

Paddy turned and burrowed his muzzle into Troy’s navel, inhaling the scent of his mate.

“Oh, that must be him alright. Look at you all in love.”

“Hey!” Paddy snarled as he turned back to the computer. But Darryl had his ears forwards still, and he was grinning.

“Calm down Scottish.” Darryl rubbed his ruff and cheek against the monitor in a soothing gesture that Paddy somehow felt all the way across the Atlantic. “I know what it’s like. I only found my mate last year.”

“Wha’ was it liek?” Paddy was intrigued. As far as he knew no one had experienced such a strange mating as he and Troy had.

“Like being hit with a freight train.” Darryl thrummed with pleasure. “I just knew after ten seconds she was totally perfect. All I had to do was convince her of the same thing. Noah tells me you guys didn’t get off to the best start?”

Paddy turned to look at his mate, sitting on their one and only chair with his legs crossed underneath him. He was already holding his sketchbook and a stick of charcoal from a more recent fire, his brow furrowed in concentration. It was almost hard to remember the time they had fought, the weeks they had spent with the bond ripping through their hearts until they were in pain all of the time. He could not now imagine snapping at Troy over something as trivial as a rabbit. Paddy still didn’t want to eat meat, but if Troy could learn to eat, and even enjoy vegetables, Paddy could accept his carnivorous habits. The lynx he loved had ripped open his arm to the bone when he’d found out that Noah knew about them, but now he sat calmly while Paddy spoke bear across the ocean to Noah’s cousin while their friend sat on their bed, swinging his legs and grinning happily. He focused back on the black bear on screen.

“But he’s perfect.”

“I know that look.” Darryl shook his great head, making all the hairs of his ruff stand on end suddenly. “You’re all the way in love bud.”

“I ken.”

“Tell him.” Darryl urged. The big black bear was grinning from ear to ear. “Tell him you love him all the time.”

Paddy chuckled.

“He does nae speak bear.”

“So teach him.” Darryl poked the screen with his nose. “Good for you Paddy. Never forget how lucky you are. Tell your mate you love him all the time OK?”

“Aye.”

“Go enjoy your birthday Paddy. And maybe we’ll have the two of you back over here sometimes once we get Noah to come on home.”

“Is he bugging me to come back again?” Noah shook his head and craned over the laptop. “Anyone would think you missed me Darryl.”

Paddy barked his goodbyes and Troy waved from his chair without much looking up from his sketch book. Noah took the laptop and patted Paddy on the head as he left.

“Wrraom wrou.”

“You’re welcome Paddy. Night Troy.”

“Night.” Troy looked up from his sketch book. “Happy birthday babe.”

“Rooaw woorl wrou.” Paddy rubbed his face into Troy’s lap, forcing the young man to gather up his art materials quickly. The spectacled bear breathed in the scent of his mate until it was all consuming, the icy pine and rich salted sap that made up the aroma of the man he loved.

“I’m sorry Patrick, I don’t speak bear.”

“Rooaw woorl wrou.” Paddy repeated, stressing the syllable he couldn’t actually pronounce. Troy mouthed the sounds a she turned it over in his head.

“You love me?”

“Wruuf.” Paddy nodded vigorously. All progress, no matter how small, was good.

“Oh babe,” Troy wrapped his arms around his head, fingers in his thick ruff. “I love you too.”

Paddy glanced down at the fallen sketch book.

“Wrooal?”

“Here.” Troy showed the page to him.

There were two sketches. In one a rather stylised bear with a jagged spectacled mask sat staring at a laptop at head height. On the other side of the laptop was an old fashioned computer monitor with a web cam, and another equally lovely and stylized bear sitting across from the picture of Paddy. In itself it was a beautiful drawing, but it paled in comparison to the other picture. There was no way Troy could have done it all during their conversation, and he must have worked from memory a lot as well as from life. It was a cosy little grove of new ferns, shrouded by big leafed birch trees, and in the centre were a bear, a lynx and a hare. The three were woven together as though sharing the same fur. And written in a cursive script underneath was a single word: Family.

Paddy found himself on his knees, naked and wearing his skin, his arms wrapped around Troy’s thighs as he sat with the picture.

“You like it?”

“Oh Troy… It’s beautiful. Perfect.”

“I dunno, it’s not quite done…” Troy frowned, little lines forming across his freckled nose.

“Nae, it’s perfect, d’nae change it.”

“Alright.”

“Is it my birthday present?”

“No actually.” Troy folded the cover of the sketch book back over the page with a smile. “I made you something else. Something useful.” Paddy was curious, and also, his knees were protesting at being on the rather uneven floor. He stood up, pulling Troy with him.

“Oh I’m sure ye can always be o’ use babe.”

“Put your kilt on.”

“Huh?”

“Put something on, I am not having sex with a naked man in socks.”

Paddy stared at his feet, confused, but did as he was bid.

“Here.”

The package was tied with spare bits of thread from when Troy had made the bow strings and Paddy unfolded his present carefully. Troy had sewn him booties, giant fluffy slippers for his love of thick socks and warm toes. But they were sewn from rabbit fur. Paddy stroked the pelts carefully. The fur was soft, surprisingly warm under his hands, the stitching tiny and neat. The furs did not smell of death, of the rabbit he had forced the lynx to dump several months before. They smelt of Troy, of hard work and the promise of warmth. He pulled them on, and wiggled his toes experimentally.

“Do you like them?” Troy looked slightly afraid of the answer.

“Ye made them fer me?”

“Yes. But I only killed buck rabbits, and only six for the whole thing. I used all of the meat, I buried the bones and the guts for nature to have them back. None of them suffered. I promise.”

Paddy knew from the quick fire way Troy spoke that if he kicked up a fuss he could make the young man feel guilty. But he also realised he didn’t care who won the game, because he loved Troy, and Troy had done a nice thing for him. The boots were soft, nature had been appeased, and Troy had been respectful. There was nothing to fight about.

“I love them babe. They wi’ be damn useful when it snows.”

“Really?” Troy’s eyes glowed, a dancing flash of blue like the Great Spirits across the night sky in the spring.

“Yes babe.” Paddy took off the booties, then his kilt, and smiled as Troy lit a thick white church candle with a match.

“I like looking at you by candlelight.” The Norwegian smiled. “I can be organised too y’know.”

Paddy wrapped the lynx up in his arms, kissing him until they were both dizzy. Troy managed to lay him flat back over the bed with a growl of pleasure and desire.

“You just lie there and look beautiful Patrick.” The lynx shed his clothes before climbing into bed, his head pillowed tantalisingly on Paddy’s navel. “You do it so well.”

The bear grinned and relaxed into the pillows. Birthday’s rocked.

Copyright © 2013 Sasha Distan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/06/2013 05:55 PM, SanguineAffair said:
I really want them to adopt-a-hare and take him home so they can all be a happy family together.
i think Troy and Paddy are a bit young to be full time parents to a thirteen year old. doesn't mean it wouldn't be cute though
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nice to see you found a way to sneak in an appearance by Darryl! Good to see Nic has come around, although that thread was wrapped up quicker than I would have expected. In fact, there doesn't really seem to be any major issues left to resolve which makes me think you are just about done with the story? Or is there a new complication about to rear it's ugly head?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/06/2013 08:06 PM, Qanon said:
Nice to see you found a way to sneak in an appearance by Darryl! Good to see Nic has come around, although that thread was wrapped up quicker than I would have expected. In fact, there doesn't really seem to be any major issues left to resolve which makes me think you are just about done with the story? Or is there a new complication about to rear it's ugly head?
two bears on skype was too funny a vision not to share!

ending soon....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/06/2013 11:15 PM, Rndmrunner said:
Aww shucks, that was just so darn sweet. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy like Paddy's slippers
i can do saccharine so well *smug* thank you oh faithful reader for all the praise.
Link to comment

I found it quite telling that Troy showed his yearning for new family ties to replace the ones he left in Norway by drawing them together with Gregg.

And interesting that bear talk seems to transcend language barriers - would that work with non-English speakers as well (so Russian, German or Hungarian bears) ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/10/2013 04:34 AM, Timothy M. said:
I found it quite telling that Troy showed his yearning for new family ties to replace the ones he left in Norway by drawing them together with Gregg.

And interesting that bear talk seems to transcend language barriers - would that work with non-English speakers as well (so Russian, German or Hungarian bears) ?

Kitt asked this too, to which i decided that all bears speak "Bear", regardless of their native human language. animals speak in a language made up of subtlety, scent, noises, gestures and body position, so it wouldn't be so much a case of translating things word for word.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I forgot to say I loved the Skype bear talk and the bunny slippers. You always need predators to regulate the rabbit population, because they get terrible sickness when overcrowded.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I forgot to say I loved the Skype bear talk and the bunny slippers. You always need predators to regulate the rabbit population, because they get terrible sickness when overcrowded.

 

Absolutely!

Link to comment

Loved the sketch of the three of them. Thought how lovely it would be as a children's book cover. Maybe that's what they need. Collaborate on a children's book. Paddy supplies the stories and Troy does the art. Children all over the world could be entertained and secretly shifter children would learn their history. Didn't Paddy even regret how many shifters didn't know at the story time campfire ! Loved the skyping bear conversation. Makes sense in this day and age. Thanks again 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..