Jump to content
    Sasha Distan
  • Author
  • 3,955 Words
  • 4,823 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Summer Camp - 19. Fireside Confrontation

“You want to get up early to go fishing?” Troy looked at his mate in bemusement with one eyebrow arched. It was Sunday morning and they had spent most of the previous day in bed. The lynx purred and stretched in Paddy’s arms, pushing the quilt down around their hips. “You don’t want to stay in bed with me?”

“Aww pet.” Paddy wrapped his arms around the boy lying on his chest and nuzzled his hair. “Of course I want tae stay in bed wi’ ye.” He broke his sentence by kissing Troy for a little bit, stroking his cheek. “But I asked Noah tae invite Jeanine an’ Benny and Sandra over fer a camp fire later and I thought we shiud get some food in ye ken?”

“We’re having a party?” Troy frowned. “I thought you wanted to go out clubbing or something.”

“Nae pet. I think it’d be nice tae stay here. Relax a bit. It is me birthday in two days.” Paddy looked around at the interior of the cabin and the little pools of melted wax dotted about the flat surfaces. “An’ maybe we shiud git outta bed.”

Troy snuggled into him, but he relented and sat up.

“I never thought I’d see the day you were trying to get up before me.” He ran fingers through his hair and Paddy coughed gently. Troy handed him the brush Paddy’s father had made from the guard hairs of his family. “Can you do it?”

Paddy sat with the slender young man in his lap and brushed his hair until it shone. A lot of things he never thought would happen had indeed happened, and now Paddy couldn’t see a single thing in his life which was wrong in any way. He was with the man he loved who loved him, the bond was strong and elastic between them, and everything was perfect. As his grandmam would have said, his stars were all lined up.

They had spent the only part of the previous day out of bed finishing off the bows. Burnished and tillered, Paddy had spent a few hours taking the last of the wood from his bow with files and sand paper until it curved smoothly on both limbs. Troy had fitted a taught string to the bow and they had bent the bows gently and consistently, taking off shavings here and there until Paddy’s once upon a time oak stick had a full seventeen inch draw. Troy had carved out a little arrow rest and Paddy had sat and oiled the bow handle until it shone. It had been a wonderfully relaxing way to spend the afternoon in between having long, slow, romantic sex.

“You want to take the bows out fishing?” Troy asked as he shimmed into his shorts. “Dad taught me to shoot Arctic char and sea trout in the lakes back home.”

Paddy set his short kilt on his hips and looked over at the two finished bows which stood, unstrung, in the corner of the cabin. His was taller, darker, the wood sort of tan and yellowish. Troy’s was smaller and a paler wood, but just as strong.

“Sounds fun.” Paddy grinned. Somehow now, everything was easy. And even though there were another three weeks of work left, another three camping groups to come through, it felt as though the summer was really only beginning. “Reckon if we git thar early enough wi’ might hae time fer a swim aye?”

“You want to swim in your fur?” Paddy nodded as he pulled on his shirt. “Sure. I’ll keep a look out for you.”

“Ta babe.” Paddy draped his arm over his mate’s shoulders and Troy instantly cuddled into his side. “Let’s go.”

Troy had sorted out a fat quiver of arrows the previous day, and the two young men waved to Noah as they headed away from the fields of River Road towards the lake. It was the perfect sort of summer Sunday. There was no wind, and even the very tips of the trees were still and silent. The birds on the other hand were in full swing, diving and swooping and calling across the sky in search of food and company. The two men-who-weren’t, headed for the lake, its water’s still and glassy reflecting the blue sky above.

“Go for your swim.” Troy took Paddy’s bow in his free hand. “I’ll bet you stir up the waters something rotten.”

Paddy kissed him as he dropped his kilt, half wanting to get silly and screw on the bank in broad daylight. Not that changing into a bear in the middle of the day was a brilliant plan either. But it was still early for a Sunday morning, there was no in in sight or scent range and Paddy threw his shirt at his lover and waded out into the water. Other people thought the lake was cold, but then, most of them didn’t spend their time in lakes and rivers hunting fish in winter in Scotland. Noah had regaled him with the tales of going ice fishing with his cousin, and Paddy wondered what it would be like come winter to roll in the snow with his mate. Troy had said the red in his coat was a ‘summer thing’ and Paddy dreamt as he went under the water, of how different the lynx would look when the seasons changed.

I bet he sheds all over the house. Paddy chuckled to himself as he finally dropped under the water. His mother would be haranguing them with the vacuum cleaner every five minutes. Like you’re going to be able to screw like wild animals in your parent’s house… Paddy was surprised he’d never thought of it before. I’m gonna have to move out. He didn’t own any furniture of his own. Ah shit. Under the water, Paddy let the last of his breath leave his lungs and then swum for the surface as the change pushed through him. The spectacled bear broke the glossy waters of the lake and shook himself, sending shiny droplets flying everywhere. He snorted.

“I’m here.” Troy didn’t shout, because there was no need too. Paddy could see him and smelt him, and knew where he was by the gentle tug of his heart, like a balloon on a string, neither taught nor painful, just there. “You look funny with your fur all wet.”

“Huuurnt.” Paddy snorted. He swivelled his little dish-like ears around. It was so nice to be back in the water, feeling weightless and free. He took a deep breath and went back under, swimming towards the middle of the lake, making sure not to catch his claws on the shallow bottom. Back home, it would have been not two minutes before either his father, grandfather or both would have joined him. Now Paddy swum by himself in the cool water of the lake, but he didn’t mind. Ever since the moment Troy had announced to everyone they were indeed very much attached, Paddy had felt less and less homesick. It would be strange to spend his birthday completely away from his parents for the first time, but now he had Troy.

Having sex had not made Troy any more ‘his’ than he had been before, but somehow instinct and trust had clumped together. Paddy knew, believed in the same way he had always believed he would indeed find his mate, that there would be no more fights, no more earth shattering arguments. It wasn’t as though they had ever had any other choice but to learn to live with each other, but now the Scot was certain and sure he and the man he loved would simply foster their bond until it was as strong as steel. When he felt Troy tap softly on his heart string, he knew his time was up.

Paddy walked up onto the bank of the lake next to his lover with a big grin. Troy was smiling and Paddy made sure he was standing right in front of his mate when he shook himself from muzzle to tail.

“Patrick!” Troy pushed at him with a grin. “OK, now you look silly. You’re like a puff ball.”

“Hoorrummm.” Paddy huffed, and sat down. “Hharrn wroaa.”

“Babe, I still don’t speak bear. Come on, people have woken up and we need to shoot some fish.” Troy stroked his pale muzzle. “Soon we’ll be able to spend all day in our fur if we want eh?”

Paddy licked his hand and rubbed his huge head against his lover. Troy hugged him around the neck automatically. The bear inhaled, taking in the scent of his mate and held the salty, icy breath in his lungs until he glowed and melted back into his skin. He shivered in the sudden coolness of the air. Troy kissed him and stood, rolling his shoulders.

“Time to fish.”

Paddy re tied his kilt as he watched his mate walk away along the water’s edge, heading for the shallower places near the stream where the fish would be easier to see and catch. Soon they would be home by the lake, able to hang around all day and please themselves.

Except if you’re gonna have to get a place of your own. His inner voice said. At least one of you is going to have to get a job.

Paddy shrugged into his shirt and hefted his new bow in one hand. As he ran his fingers across the grip which he had so lovingly smoothed and polished, he felt something rough under his thumb. Examining the bow he saw, next to the arrow rest, was now a little carving. A bear in profile, sort of rounded and slightly cartoonish, but perfect in its shape and detail. The white mask was carved out in tiny strokes that followed the pattern of Paddy’s fur, and he couldn’t help but run his fingers over the precise grooves. He found the bond around his heart and tugged.

Thank you.

Troy was notching an arrow in his string when Paddy caught him up. He was staring at the water, his eyes roaming over the softly rippling surface, looking for his prey. He raised the bow and drew back the string as far as his cheek, fingers curled over the tension. For a long moment he was still, barely breathing as Paddy approached and then there was a hiss as he loosed the arrow into the water. Grinning, Troy filched the aluminium shaft from the water, a big trout speared on the other end. He took his quick little gutting knife and slit the animal open, dropping its innards back into the water. Paddy watched as his lover laid a hand over the fish and, with the utmost respect, took it from the arrow and laid it on the ground

“Thank you. We will honour your body.” He turned to Paddy with a smile. “C’mon hot stuff; let’s see you fire that bow of yours.”

“Ye put me on it.” Paddy rubbed his thumb over the carving again.

“You’re welcome.” Troy was scanning the water again, his bow string next to his face. Paddy got the distinct feeling Troy could see inside his head suddenly. “They’re your guests Paddy, you need to feed them.”

Paddy broke his internal reverie and raised his bow. He’d though it would be near impossible to see through the water to find the fish, but much like fishing on the rapids during salmon season; it was just a case of breathing slowly and taking his time. When a big trout swum into his firing line, Paddy exhaled and loosed the arrow.

“Nice aim.” Troy handed him the little gutting knife. “We’ll eat well tonight!”

*

Noah started the campfire for them, and the two shifters found their Canadian friend splitting logs with his shirt off while Jeanine watched from the other side of the fire pit, a sly smile on her face.

“Yer early.” Paddy said with a grin, placing down his veritable sack of fish. Jeanine was peeling the bark off a number of long green sticks, a bag of marshmallows by her feet.

“Well, the view is rather good.” She grinned, and then turned to him. “Happy birthday Paddy.”

“It’s nae until Tuesday lass, but ta.”

Troy got busy setting up the fish. Sean had brought down the metal grill from the barbeque and now everyone watched, fascinated as Troy took what to anyone else was five long sticks and some string and turned it into a suspended rack over the flames. He laid out the whole fishes on the grill tray with quick efficient movements.

“We’re having them all plain?” Sean asked with a raised eyebrow.

Paddy rolled his eyes and Troy stepped back from the grill to let Sean take over. His innate love of food took over and soon he was sprinkling the fishes with seasonings and salt, lemon juice hissing and spitting over the flames, turning them with deft skill. Ava showed up with Benny and Sandra in tow, the big guy carrying a cooler full of beer and soda on his shoulder while the girls nattered over bowls of potato salad and bread rolls. When everything was laid out, Sean announced the fish was done.

“Pass me the plates would you Paddy.”

Paddy looked about at the assembled party and supplies.

“I daen’t think we brung any.”

Troy laughed, and snatched a fish off the grill, holding it in a bread roll.

“Fish in a bun?”

“Aye pet, I ken that’ll do jus’ fine.”

Laughing, Troy handed around fish while Jeanine found forks for them to eat the potato salad straight out of the big bowl. Noah called it ‘communal dining’ and laughed. There was beer and cider, soda and giggling. Ava picked her fish apart like it some kind of scientific experiment and regaled them of one Easter lunch when she’d gotten a mackerel bone stuck in her throat.

“A whole hour with the damn thing making me want to throw up and claw my insides out.” She gestured dramatically with her fork. “And thank fuck the duty roster was changing and the nurse who was coming on was one of those stoic old matrons. She just got some funny looking tweezer things and hoiked it out. Job done.”

“How scarring.” Noah grinned. “Back home, my cousins and his mates take fish apart with their fingers, they called it ‘rustic sushi’.”

“You’re kidding?” Jeanine looked shocked. “Don’t get me wrong, but I do love a fancy restaurant as much as the next girl.”

“Doesnae tha’ sorta depend on who tha ‘next girl’ is?” Paddy grinned and passed her another coke. “I do nae much see tha point it getting’ dressed up jus’ tae go an eat somewhere.”

“Does that mean you’re not taking me on a fancy restaurant date?” Troy’s expression was so heartbroken and petulant, for a moment Paddy panicked. Troy punched him in the shoulder before cuddling into his chest. “Don’t look so fucking scared. I’m joking.”

“The look on your face…” Benny was shaking with mirth. “Nice to know I’m not the only guy who fears for his life sometimes.”

“You forgot my birthday.” Sandra stole her boyfriend’s beer and drained it. “You damn well should have feared for your life.”

“So what are you getting Paddy for his birthday Troy?” Sean asked.

“Surprise.” Troy grinned. “Paddy likes surprises, don’t you babe?”

Paddy wrapped both arms around his mate felt the young man relax against his chest. He bent to whisper in Troy’s ear when the others were otherwise distracted.

“But ye already gave me somethin’.”

“Babe, I was gonna do that anyway.” Troy’s eyes glowed. “It was all just a matter of timing.”

“Ye bastard.”

“You love me.”

“Aye pet, tha’ I do.” Paddy inhaled the scent of his mate, staring at the bright, dancing flames. His nose was so full of the happy smells of campfire and joy, Troy, fish, toasting sugar, and potatoes in chives and mayonnaise, it wasn’t until he heard a twig break that he realised they weren’t alone. Before the big Scot had even had time to sit up, there were people standing at the end of the path where the woods opened up onto the fire site, watching them.

“Heya Nic.” Sean raised a hand to his friend. Paddy saw who was holding Nic’s hand the moment he did, because he couldn’t stifle the low growl as Sean added, “Hi Alexia.”

“Oh, hi guys.” Nic scanned the assembled party, but he very prominently did not look directly as either Troy or Paddy curled up together. He swallowed. “Jeanine.”

“Hi Nic. I heard you were back again this year.” She glanced between Paddy and Troy and Nic, then to Noah. “He’s you’re site leader?”

“Aye.” Paddy sighed. He wanted to like Nic, he really did. It wasn’t in his nature to hate anyone, but the stocky young man made it so hard with his discriminatory attitude. One look at Alexia though, and Paddy was pretty sure who the anonymous staff member who’d made a complaint about them was. “We’re jus’ haing a little birthday bonfire. Ye want tae join us?”

“I don’t think so.” Alexia looked at Paddy as though he wasn’t fit to be breathing the same air as she was. No doubt she could probably brand and bottle the fresh oxygen coming off the trees. “As if it wasn’t enough that you’re filling the atmosphere with unnecessary and harmful greenhouse gases, you’re still being inappropriate in public.”

Silence descended across the fire site after Alexia spoke. Paddy felt his mate tense in his lap a moment before he started growling, and then everyone erupted all at once.

“You insufferable cow!”

“Nic!”

“How dare you tell me what I am allowed to say?”

“What the fuck?”

“ENOUGH!” Paddy’s roar silenced everyone. His heart beating frantically in his chest, Paddy was grateful for the cool calmness and love Troy sent him down their bond. Snapping and going feral was not the ideal way to end the evening. “Me mam ha’ always said tha’ if ye’ve naught gid tae say about a person, then keep ye gob shut.” He inhaled and exhaled slowly. “I think we’d all best stick tae tha’ aye?”

Alexia’s expression was black.

“Oh, that’s all very easy for you to say pervert.” She still hadn’t let go of Nic’s hand. “Your relationship is a bad influence on other people. You,” she pointed at Paddy, “have managed to make three other people homosexuals with your behaviour.”

Jeanine coughed politely into her hand.

“Nic, one assumes you are about to reprimand your member of staff who is discriminating and bullying another because of his sexuality?”

“Um…”

“So much for sisterhood.” Alexia was really getting into the swing of her conversation. “It is such a shame such babyish attitudes of acceptance would put you on their side. They have chosen to deny every woman on the planet her rights. Men have sexually exploited us for years, and now that we are in a position of power enough to do the same, their only method of denying us has been to force their desires upon each other.”

“I’m sorry?” Troy stared at Alexia across the fire. Somehow, she took his acidic tone as one of genuine regret.

“And you should be. I mean really, it is disgusting this sort of dangerous behaviour hasn’t been condemned by society as a whole. The fact you have continued to behave like this after being reprimanded just proves I was right to worry. You are clearly trying to convert others to your obscene lifestyle.”

In the silence, there was nothing but the crackling of wood in the fire.

“Dude…” Sean looked shocked at his friend. “Are you actually going to let that slide?”

Nic looked like a rabbit in headlights, blinded by the strength of Alexia’s venom. But he was still holding her hand.

“Nic?” Jeanine looked equal parts furious and full to the brim with despair. “You were always easily influenced, but this is too much. When Paddy told me what his site leader had said to him, I thought ‘what a cock’ but I never figured you could be pushed this far.”

Sean seemed to suddenly realise what he was seeing.

“You two have been carrying on all summer?” He glanced between Alexia and Nic. “Fuck… dude.”

“Don’t you speak about her that way.” Nic had suddenly leapt into the persona of the protective boyfriend.

“Well then don’t you let her speak to our friends and your employees like that either!” Noah snapped. “Nic, this is your job!”

“It’s the weekend.” Nic started to wrap his arm around Alexia but she slapped his hand away. “It is not my job at the moment.”

“Exactly.” Alexia glowed. “He’s not my boss.”

“Than he aten’t mine neither.” Paddy stood up. His heart was glowing with anger, Troy was full of rage, and the connection between them thrummed with energy. “Ye hae nae power o’er wha’ we choose tae do wi’ our weekends.” He growled. “Neither o’ ye may tell me how I shiud live my life. Git out.”

“How dare you speak to us like that?”

It was the final straw, and Paddy roared. It was wordless, a true bear’s roar, deafening. Every small animal for miles fled, became small and silent, hidden, hoping they would not be the next to die. Nic was visibly shaken, Alexia was pale. Troy sat on a tree stump, examining his nails. In the very quiet silence that followed Paddy’s anger, he patted the rough wood next to him, and Paddy sat down, automatically wrapping himself around his mate. Troy did not look up when he spoke.

“You will learn to be more tolerant Nic, or you will be explaining to the next group why you need to send twenty kids home, what with you being understaffed.”

“You’d never get another job here again if you quit.” Nic said quickly. The moment the words left his mouth, he looked like he regretted them.

Troy’s glacier blue eyes met his. Nic had no more power in that gaze than a fish did at the end of an arrow.

“I can take a rabbit apart in ninety seconds. I doubt I need your recommendation to find work.” Troy looked like he was about to add something else, but the moment passed. “Go away, you silly little man.”

For a second, Alexia looked like she was going to say something, but Nic pulled her away wordlessly. As the fire crackled, the tension in the circle slackened, adrenaline levels dropped. Benny let out a short bark of laughter, Sandra giggled softly. Paddy turned to his mate and saw the light dancing in his eyes, and then found himself and everyone else laughing, even though his heart still hammered with anger. When they came down from their silly high, Paddy took Troy’s face in his hands and kissed him until he was so out of breath he thought he might just pass out.

“You wouldn’t really leave us high and dry would you?” Ava asked eventually.

Paddy didn’t answer. Part of him desperately wanted to simply vanish from this place, to be alone and free and with family who loved them.

“But he doesn’t know that.” Troy said with a soft smile. “And he’s bright enough to live in fear. I doubt he’ll ever say anything to either of us again.”

“Well then.” Noah unscrewed the top off a bottle of whiskey with one hand. He always seemed to have a bottle of the amber liquid stashed somewhere. “I guess we should drink to victory.”

Copyright © 2013 Sasha Distan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

wow! Alexia is a FRUITCAKE! :lmao: Her ridiculous rant made her sound pretty nutty and like a total bigoted bitch! Nic is horrible. How can anyone respect him after his reaction? How did he manage to sound like he felt badly that someone had reported them when he seems to agree with her now. She must be great in bed for him to defend her behavior. :stupid: She sure has some spell over him! :wizard: Well, the rest of the summer should be pretty entertaining.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

So much for Paddy's resolve not to overfish the lake! Lots of interesting info in this chapter. I wasn't too surprised that Alexia was the complainer, although the fact she is dating Nic was a bit of a shocker. Also seems like there's some interesting history between Nic and Jeanine. I take it she is the cute kayak instructor Sean mentioned a few chapters ago that Nic was shacked up with last summer? Seems like she'll be much better off with Noah. Although it seems everyone is pairing off! Surely someone will remain single over the summer. Well, I guess there's always Levi...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 12/04/2013 09:46 PM, Cannd said:
wow! Alexia is a FRUITCAKE! :lmao: Her ridiculous rant made her sound pretty nutty and like a total bigoted bitch! Nic is horrible. How can anyone respect him after his reaction? How did he manage to sound like he felt badly that someone had reported them when he seems to agree with her now. She must be great in bed for him to defend her behavior. :stupid: She sure has some spell over him! :wizard: Well, the rest of the summer should be pretty entertaining.
all i can say is: Agreed!
Link to comment
On 12/04/2013 11:57 PM, Qanon said:
So much for Paddy's resolve not to overfish the lake! Lots of interesting info in this chapter. I wasn't too surprised that Alexia was the complainer, although the fact she is dating Nic was a bit of a shocker. Also seems like there's some interesting history between Nic and Jeanine. I take it she is the cute kayak instructor Sean mentioned a few chapters ago that Nic was shacked up with last summer? Seems like she'll be much better off with Noah. Although it seems everyone is pairing off! Surely someone will remain single over the summer. Well, I guess there's always Levi...
not everyone is as shaking up as you might think. flirting is a whole other level of fun.
Link to comment

Nic is a complete wus to give in to Alexia like he did. Alexia should be reported to the powers that be for her prejudicial attitudes. I can't wait until she gets her comeuppance, which I hope is coming.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/05/2013 01:49 AM, avidreadr said:
Nic is a complete wus to give in to Alexia like he did. Alexia should be reported to the powers that be for her prejudicial attitudes. I can't wait until she gets her comeuppance, which I hope is coming.
various things are coming... and yes, Nic is a wus
Link to comment

A favorite chapter, showing a relationship maturing and enriching (instinct and trust clumped :*) ). Paddy had for weeks showered Troy with gentleness and calm. Now calm floods back to Paddy. I feel for Nic, Peter Principle personified, wheels turning oh so slowly. Alexia's fulmination could have turned Betty Friedan in her grave, had she bothered to listen.

Link to comment
On 12/05/2013 05:55 AM, knotme said:

A favorite chapter, showing a relationship maturing and enriching (instinct and trust clumped :*) ). Paddy had for weeks showered Troy with gentleness and calm. Now calm floods back to Paddy. I feel for Nic, Peter Principle personified, wheels turning oh so slowly. Alexia's fulmination could have turned Betty Friedan in her grave, had she bothered to listen.

good things come to those who wait right?
Link to comment

I can't believe I never left a rant about the dumb vegan bitch. She thinks gay people are contagious and denying women their right? :blink:  WTF ! As if we don't have enough breeders overpopulating the world, using up precious resources, and destroying nature. :facepalm: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I can't believe I never left a rant about the dumb vegan bitch. She thinks gay people are contagious and denying women their right? :blink:  WTF ! As if we don't have enough breeders overpopulating the world, using up precious resources, and destroying nature. :facepalm: 

 

I don't even know where to start - I met a woman like this once

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Woh! Didn't see that coming. I thought the baddie was Levi. Now I owe him an apology.  Glad the others stood up. Thank you ? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..