Jump to content
    sat8997
  • Author
  • 318 Words
  • 1,602 Views
  • 8 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

So You Want To Be an Author? - 1. Learn it and Use it

So You Want To Be an Author

Good for you! But take it from a veteran editor and reader, it takes more than the desire to put pen to paper. Or keys to screen. Trust me…it took me two days to write this article. And it’s not very long.

If I could give just one piece of advice to a new author, it would be to brush up on the basic rules of grammar. We’re not talking about anything fancy here, just good old spelling and dialog punctuation. If these are not your strong suit, find a good book or website to use for reference. There are plenty of them out there that present information in a fun and entertaining way. Find one, or like me, ten that works for you. Also, check the options on whatever word-processing program you use and set the spellchecker, grammar, and style functions to the highest level. Don’t take the suggested corrections at face value, though. Most spellcheckers won’t catch everything. But at least things that may need a second look are highlighted. Spend the time to understand what these tools are telling you. Correcting mistakes in spelling, grammar, and style will make your writing more enjoyable to read.

As a reader, these basic errors act as speed bumps for the eyes. They break a story’s ebb and flow. You may think your plot is wonderfully entertaining, your characters extremely well developed. And they very well may be. You could have the next Pulitzer winner for fiction all ready to flow off your fingertips. But if a reader has to stumble over the incorrect use of ‘there’, ‘their’, and ‘they’re’ too many times, you’ll lose them in the first chapter.

So you want to be an author? Then do it. Write. Write with passion, heart, and flair. But learn your craft first and give your future readers your best effort.

Copyright © 2011 sat8997; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Having worked with you before, you are a stickler for grammar :)Your editing skill is excellent and you taught me quite a few things. In particular read my own stuff and then go over my grammar with a fine tooth comb :)Thanks for the excellent advice :)

Link to comment

Those are some very good tips, Sharon. Another thing you might suggest is for perspective authors to use a thesaurus to learn new words and expand their vocabularies.

Link to comment

Oh yes, good advice. I liked the style and flow of this text. I would like to see more writing/editing tips if you have got them to share. Your writing is nicely accessible. :)

Link to comment

Great advice from an expert! Working with you has not only helped my writing at GA, but the writing I do for my career. wub.png

Link to comment

Excellent advice that is so easily forgotten when one is dancing in the bliss of character and story creation. Thanks for the great reminder!

Link to comment

Just because this article of advice was written several years ago does not mean the suggestions it contains are outdated. I have only in the last 5-6 months discovered GA and have been reading several stories. I have discovered that even stories submitted in recent days have many of the same 'speed bumps' that are described herein. I place the blame for these oversights, however, on a different person -- okay, the author of a story, caught up in the throes of creativity, is supposed to be inspired and may, therefore, slip up in grammar or punctuation from time to time, but the EDITOR is selected to find and correct these slips. So when I am reading a story and encounter an error in grammar or punctuation, I blame it on the editor. Though the author may have some residual guilt for having selected a bum editor. Two of the most common errors I have discovered are too many or too few commas, but that is a small error and may be forgiven, and HOMOPHONES! (Editors, look it up!).

Misterwill

  • Like 2
Link to comment

H.W. Fowler, in his masterwork, Modern English Usage, repeatedly makes the point that it is bad strategy to make the reader have to stop and puzzle out what you are trying to say.  You want your reader to be focusing on your ideas and your story; to put the focus on careless punctuation and shoddy proofreading is counter-productive.  Writers who think, "But my mening is kleer why to I have to get the speling write?" ignore this advice at their peril.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..