Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stronger Than Lions - 36. Miracle on Long Street

My body was still deciding whether it was going to keep breakfast down as Chris led me to the couch and motioned me to sit. We’d eaten my father’s not-too-terrible effort mostly in silence.

He shuffled up next to me and put his head in his hands.

‘Just spill it already,’ I said. ‘I’ve had enough ups and downs the past few days. Why did you bail on me?'

Chris winced a little. ‘Okay bru. Fair. That day… when Craig called for me, I really wanted to warn you but he went on this rant and told me some bullshit story that we were against nature and shit and that this was, I dunno, gonna ruin my future.’

‘Said that to me too.’

‘Fucker. I didn’t buy it bru, I promise.’

I flooded with relief but stayed silent.

‘Anyway. Tried to convince me that I was going “through a phase” yada yada fish-paste whatever, but then he said he going to have to be cruel to be kind and I sort of panicked.’

‘How do you mean?’

Chris swallowed. ’Said your reputation as a star pupil was like at risk. That if we were together he’d be forced to make “some changes” to your school record. Those were his words. Some changes.’

‘For fuck’s sakes,’ I snapped. ‘Craig threatened me with messing with your career!’

‘Of course the douchebag did. What else did he say to you?’

I tried to bring my rage down to a simmer and told him.

‘We’ve both been fucking had,’ he said when I’d finished, shaking his head. ‘I hate that he convinced me to stay away from you. Dunno if you’ll buy this, but I did it… I told you to stay off because I fuckin’ love you, man. If your life was going to be better without out me, then, I’d leave.’

His eyes were huge now, as if he had morphed into an anime version of himself.

I grimaced. ‘Well I bought the act, you asshole.’

‘Just know I could never stop loving you, you idiot.’

‘I resent being called an idiot.’

‘Ok fair man, but you’re still a dork.’

‘You’re a bigger dork,’ I shot back.

‘I thought I had the bigger dick,’ he said, smirking.

‘I’m the grower and you’re the shower, you fucking fuck.’ I let in a little sharp breath, shocked at my mouth unhinging itself from my brain, then sniggered as he stuck out his tongue, trying very hard to deflect the blush flooding across his face.

‘I’ll measure you myself later if you so wish, but first, did you sleep here last night? I’m confused.’

‘Yeah. In the spare room. Your dad fetched me.’

‘I heard something but it was like 2 am. What happened?’

Chris hammered a leg nervously against the couch. ‘I called him. I was drunk. And I remembered what he’s always saying, that we could call him.’

‘Where were you?’ I said, pissed off. ‘And why were you drinking?’

‘Being an idiot and trying to get rid of my feelings because Rob shat me out.’

‘Rob?!’

‘Yeah, he stormed into my house last night. I think he’d just left from visiting you. Not sure if it was my mom or aunt who let him but your boy just burst into my room and went fuckin’ medieval on me. Made me realise I was being a coward.’

‘Oh my god.’

‘Don’t be angry with him, bru. He’s loyal as fuck to you. After he left I felt so shit I waited till everyone was asleep and I just got into my car and drove and drove. Ended up in some shitty bar in Long Street and started pissing it up. Was only when I was puking in the street that I got a fright and suddenly I was calling your dad.’

‘I…I’m glad he did.’

‘He just came, no questions asked, and brought me here. I tried to tell him the whole sorry story while he helped me sober up. Marched me into a shower and then he put me to bed. My dad… my dad’s never done something like that for me.’

‘My dad loves you, Christopher. He won’t say it, but loves you like you’re his own kid.’

Chris looked ready to cry. ‘I just don’t know why fuckwit Craig would overrreact like this,’ he said eventually. ‘I mean, he’s obviously a douchebag homophobe, but why is he so desperate to break us up?’

‘I think I know why,’ said my father, who had somehow materialised behind the couch.

‘Easy there laddies,' he said, noticing our startled looks. 'Earlier this morning I had a long conversation with the Headmaster’s secretary. I may have been inactive since my Susanna passed… but it dawned on me I was still a member of the school’s governing body, and it was time to flex a bit of that muscle.’ He smiled and thumbed the stubble on his cheeks. ‘I may have insisted on an emergency meeting of the governing body and the PTA, because I heard a rumour that the school’s reputation had been compromised. Old dragon shat herself and then sang like a bloody canary.’

‘Jesus, Dad!’

‘Mm. She said I really shouldn’t spread any anxiety because the school was about to receive a big donation fand the last thing we needed now was some scandal. I mean, please. A “scandal” about a little kiss between two students. I pressed her but she said she could tell me nothing except that some company had approached Mr Craig directly.’

‘What company?’ Chris and I said in unison.

‘Eagle Corporation or something,’ my father said, shrugging. The image of the double headed eagle on the Major’s desk swam before my eyes.

Chris shook his head, then balled his fists. ‘Shit. Not Eagle Global?'

‘That's right! They’re wooing different schools,’ my dad continued, ‘and I think Craig is hungry for the opportunity.’

'That... that's my father’s company. The bastard. fucking bastard. He’s still pissed about me and Caleb, so he wants to tear us apart!’

‘I’m so sorry, Christopher,’ said my father. ‘But dinnae drag yourself down to his level. It all makes sense now, but it's so fucking petty of him.'

We were both startled: he hardly ever swore. ‘And I won’t do it laddies, but excuse an old man’s temper if I say I want to punch Craig and your dad’s lights out.’

‘You have my blessing,’ said Chris quietly.

‘Forgive me,’ my father said after a pause. ‘I shouldn’t have said that. Men of my age take a while to get things. Maybe he thinks he did something wrong. Which is a load of shite. Don’t hate him, Chris. Don’t take on his negative energy.’

‘What, turn the other cheek, sir?’

‘Yes and no. Don’t spew back the same hate but don’t… apologise for being… oh for Chrissake. Being a normal kid.’

‘I… I don’t know what to say,’ Chris said quietly, unable to meet my father’s kind gaze.

‘Blame my Susanna,’ my dad said with a little smile. ‘Cal’s mom would’ve absolutely loved investigating this whole sorry affair and maybe she’s infected me. Anyway I took the liberty of telling your mom just the essentials and we’ve both decided Christopher is the latest victim of this terrible flu that’s been going around. If I have my way, the only thing Paul Craig will have accomplished is give both of you a mid-term holiday. Although I expect you two to be fully up to date by the end of the weekend. I called Bella this morning and she’s coming this afternoon with all your homework.’

‘Thanks, Dad,’ I said, and got up and hugged him. ‘I’m sorry I lied to you.’

‘I’m sorry you felt you had to lie to keep yourself safe. But nobody gets to mess with my cub… my….’ He paused, and reached out to put a hand on Chris’s shoulders. ‘My cubs,’ he murmured in a deep voice.

And as quickly as his proud growl had appeared, it retreated, and the familiar shyness came back. ‘I’ve said enough. Christopher had better sleep off the rest of your hangover and get a shave. You look like hell and you need to be shipshape for your mother tomorrow. Because yes, I think you should spend the night here.’

Concluding his speech from the throne, my father shuffled back towards his study.

I stared ahead, still feeling queasy.

’Are you still mad at me?’ said Chris.

I punched him on the shoulder and started tickling him. ‘How could I stay mad at you, dickwad.’ He retaliated by grabbing me in a chokehold. We ended up wrestling about on the floor for a minute or two, until we upset the vase of flowers on the coffee table.

‘Boys!’ called my dad from down the passage, ‘keep it down! I’m on a phone call.’

‘Fuck,’ I said, still catching my breath, ‘let’s clean this up and then upstairs.’

Chris’s eyes brightened. ‘I guess this means I can sleep my hangover off… with you?’

I sniffed him and made a pouty face. ‘Only if you get your sorry ass into another shower. You still smell of whatever the fuck you were pissing it up with.’

Chris blushed. ‘Don't ever chase Guinness with sambuca. Promise me. Perhaps, um, you could help clean me up?

‘I think I might need to do that urgently.’

2013, 2023 Sean J Halford
  • Like 8
  • Love 15
  • Wow 1
Thank you for reading! I would love to hear your thoughts and comments and greatly appreciate honest feedback from readers.
If you are enjoying this story, feel free to recommend it and/or post a review. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. The Lounge

    A general discussion forum
    No politics, solicitation, or commercial postings will be allowed.

    152.3k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So this was all as a result of Chris’s dad trying to exert some kind of control over him…. That’s so messed up.

Link to comment

"Guinness with Sambuca"?  To paraphrase the good DDS, 'that combination is a Shite show waiting to explode', the only thing worse would be Jaeger shots. 🤮 

The task at hand now is (1) how to get back at Ass't Head Monster Craig, and (2) how to get back at Chris' sperm donor. Chris' Mom will be instrumental in dealing with that, and in doing so can quash any 'donation' from Eagle Corp to the school (and sleazing its way into the Major's and Craig's pockets). And Cal's Dad, as a member of the school's Board of Directors, can initiate an investigation into any 'mishandling' of school finances. 

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..