Jump to content

Stronger Than Lions

There are currently no reviews.
stronger than lions cover.jpg

Sometimes love comes from the unlikeliest of places.

Devastated by the loss of his mother, Cal enters his final year of high school in Cape Town facing an uncertain future, plagued by bullies and struggling to keep his grieving family together. When a handsome troublemaker with a mysterious past arrives at the school, an unlikely friendship develops. And as Cal grapples with feelings he never expected, he is plunged headlong into an adventure that will turn his entire existence upside-down.

This 10th anniversary edition differs from the Kindle version, and contains new and old material cut from the Kindle version.

This is my first novel, which I am now returning to GA where it grew into the work many of you here cheered on and in so doing helped me find my feet as a writer.  My writing is in a very different place now. Consider this revised version a thank you to the community who helped it grow—hopefully some new readers will enjoy my firstborn too!
Contains scenes of consenting sexual activity between individuals over the age of 17. 
Contains mentions and scenes of bullying, bereavement, mental health challenges and  domestic violence. 
Cover image designed by Althea Keaton
2013, 2023 Sean J Halford

Story Recommendations (4 members)

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 4
  • Characters 4
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 2
  • Compelling 3
  • Feel-Good 1
  • Humor 4
  • Smoldering 2
  • Tearjerker 2
  • Unique 3
  • World Building 0

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

I cannot wait to see what changes have been made here!! I absolutely LOVED this story when I first read it, and I'm super excited to see it here again! 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 6/14/2023 at 2:35 AM, Jkeeletupelo said:

I cannot wait to see what changes have been made here!! I absolutely LOVED this story when I first read it, and I'm super excited to see it here again! 

Thank you so much! I've tightened up a few things, tied up some loose ends and delved a bit deeper where readers wanted more, so I'm hoping you'll enjoy this "directors cut" version :)

Link to comment

Well, I’m about halfway through this most beautifully written piece of prose.  The initial premise is well- known. New guy in school meets outsider etc.  but is the language and depth of characterisation that makes this seem utterly new and refreshing.  
I strongly recommend it to be read.  You will thank me!!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I feel privileged to read this first book by @Sean J Halford, even as it is the 10th Anniversary 'rewrite' of the original Kindle version (which I missed). An author of some reknown said a century ago "The only kind of writing, is rewriting", which he later explained as "improving on the original".  That author, then a rookie reporter covering WW-I, was Ernest Hemingway.

When reading a first book by any author, my 'editor's eye' has a virtual Blue Pencil (the colour traditionally used by Editors for 'corrections') at hand to 'mark up' anything that needs addressing. Thankfully it did not get used here.

Stronger Than Lions is a remarkable story of recovery from devastating personal loss, overcoming adversity, personal discovery and growth. The title also reflects on the remarkable setting that is South Africa. I recommend this for anyone's reading list. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..