Jump to content
    S.L. Lewis
  • Author
  • 2,451 Words
  • 813 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crimson Shadows - 14. Chapter 14

Title: Crimson Shadows
Series: The Shadows Play Ground
Chapter: 14
Word Count: 2,451
AN: Meh, that is all.

The set up was finished, finally, after much fussing, cursing and complaining that happened between them all. They were currently in the main living room, standing around the desk, staring at the monitors where various rooms were displayed. “So, who is going to do what now?” Marana asked, pointing at the screens with curiosity dancing in his eyes.

“You and Markus will go down to the basement and do a basic EVP session before doing one in the kitchen while Kyender and Orian will do some basic testing for electrical fields and to see if there’s a high concentration. After that is done, Orian will take over for me so Kyender and I can go out to the shed, look around and do some readings and an EVP session out there,” Kyle said, tapping a pen on his clip board before looking up at the others with a frown. “But for now, someone needs to make dinner, drinks and the such before we make sure we have extras just in case we lose our flashlights or cameras for what ever reason.”

“I’ll do dinner. Kyle, how about you help me with that? The rest of you, go set up the beds and the such would you while we work on the food and watch the cameras,” Markus said, heading out of the room, his nephew following after, both of the men looking less then pleased with things. Marana and Richard headed up stairs with the duffle bags full of clothes, dropping them off into the rooms as needed, double checking the cameras, Richard ignoring Marana as she complained about things.

Looking to his nephew, Markus pulled out some bread, meat and cheese to make hot grilled sandwiches as the younger male grabbed the little sandwich makers. “So, you wanna talk about what is going on in your head?” he asked finally, grabbing the butter as an after thought. The two started to butter the bread as Kyles face turned thoughtful, eyes dark.

“I’m thinking I’m going to have to replace Marana, Uncle Markus. She keeps trying to get into Kyenders pants and driving him up a wall with how often he has to tell her off,” he finally said, looking to his uncle who was looking a bit surprised at that. “I have applications for every position in the group, but I really don’t want to have to use them to replace someone.”

“When we started this, Marana was more like her mother then her father,” Markus mused, putting slices of bread down on the maker, adding cheese and meat quickly followed by the second slice of bread. Closing the machine, he continued to get the meat and cheese ready for each of the sandwich while Kyle continued to butter the bread for the bases. “She’s gotten worse, so you’ve seen,” he continued, getting a nod from his nephew.

“Yeah, so I’ve seen. It’s starting to make me wonder as to why she’s gone stalker on Kyender there,” Kyle muttered, frowning as he switched out the cooked sandwiches, laying bread, meat and cheese down before once more closing the machine to cook the food. Opening a cabinet, he pulled out potato chips to go along with the food before finding a few bowls to put said chips into, plates and a couple of trays. “So, what can we do about her outside of replacing her happy ass?” he asked, pouring the chips into the bowls as Markus took over the sandwich making.

“We watch her closely, see if it’s not a left over from that one hunt and interview the applicants who would love to replace her,” was the answer from the other man. Grunting, Kyle gathered soda and glasses, putting them on the tray as Markus finished making the pile of warm sandwiches. Carrying the two trays into the living room, they noticed that Marana was sitting in the farthest recliner from the main area while Richard and Orian were sitting on the love seat, able to watch the screens from their area and Kyender was lounging on the couch, leaving enough room for Markus and Kyle.

Looking at each other, they put the food down and handed out plates, letting everyone grab their own food on their own. Sitting down with their own plates, glad that they had gone with nearly the entire loaf of bread for their early dinner, the uncle and nephew looked over their friends, noting that Orian was nearly attacking his sandwiches, tearing them apart, ignoring the fact that the cheese was hot and getting all over his fingers. Marana just ignored everyone while they ignored her in return.

“What happened while we were gone?” Kyle finally asked, raising an eyebrow as Kyender snarled next to him, making him scoot closer to his uncle. “Kyender?” he asked slowly, watching him take a deep breath and force his body to relax.

“I’ll have my list of complaints against her ready for you once we finish this job,” he finally said, looking to Kyle whose eyes hardened as he frowned. “And this time, there’s a witness, which is why Orian really pissed off.”

“Slut,” came the muttered insult, making the three look over and watch Richard try to sooth his twin before sending a glare at Marana who continued to ignore them with ease.

“What happened?” Markus asked finally, having eaten half of his first sandwich. He was rather curious as to what had happened to piss off Orian off so badly. He was usually much more balanced.

“She tried to rub against me when I came in from locking up the vans. I push her away gently and tell her no. As soon as I sat down and suddenly I have a lap full of unwanted female,” Kyender snorted, shaking his head with a sneer on his lips.

“He yelped very loudly. He complained quite a bit. He finally got tired of it and shoved the psycho bitch off his lap and stood up to properly chew her out as is his right as second in command instead of Kyender, the nice guy,” Orian said, turning his sneer towards Marana who cringed backwards. Huffing quietly, the younger twin settled into eating his food, having said his piece as Markus and Kyle blinked at her in surprise. They hadn’t expected her fuck up quite so badly and especially in front of the twins. Especially knowing they wouldn’t hold back in their observations when it came to things that happened around them.

“Marana, what the fuck were you thinking? Or were you even thinking at all?” Markus asked finally, putting his plate down and standing up. “If we didn’t need you, you’d be out the damn door right now. From now on, you’re gonna be working with me, no one else. One more fuck up and I’ll send you on your fucking way, do you understand this?” he asked after the female in question refused to answer, instead playing with her food.

“Yes, Markus, I understand,” she muttered, slinking down into her seat. She knew she had just pushed the two males over the edge but really didn’t really care at that moment, to upset and pissed with how things were going anyways to do much beyond stew in her own anger. “What happens if I’m fired?” she asked suddenly, eyeing the two men who just glared at her in return, Markus grabbing his plate.

“You’ll leave the house and then we’ll change around the teams so that only one person works the screen at a time along with an alarm. After that,” Kyle drawled, a bitter smile dancing on his lips, “we’ll go home, change the locks, pack your shit up and take it to your mothers. From there, we’ll send you your last check, without this hunts cut since you were asked to leave. As it is, we’re docking your pay for this shit.”

“You’ll also be removed from the insurance plans. We’ll pay for your last doctors visit, but anything outside of that will have to come out of your own pocket or other insurance,” Markus continued, waving his sandwich with a smug smile on his lips. “As it is, at the moment, you’ll be able to collect your stuff at the house along with your last check. We’re also telling your mother so she can decide what she wants to do to you and if she’ll let you into her house. Aren’t you glad you kept your day job?” he cooed, before deciding to ignore her for the moment.

Kyle snickered around his mouthful as the others followed his uncles example, shoving a bit of hair back out of his face. Kyender just sat back and vibrated in his anger, not surprising any of them really with how he tended to get very quite when he was angry. Shaking his head, the youngest of the group checked on the cameras, frowning as he noticed that three of them were moved from where they had been, or rather were pointing in different directions.

“The cellar camera, the camera in bedroom four and the kitchen camera all need to be fixed. Marana, go with Markus and fix them. Uncle Markus, I’ll take care of the kitchen camera since I have to go in there to get some ice. Can you not kill her while doing that?” he asked, looking to his uncle who nodded. Standing up, the three headed into the kitchen, hearing Kyender mutter under his breath as he continued to eat. They knew that the man was going to be pissed for the couple of hours before they started the black out and main investigation.

Once they were done with that part, which would take them until about one that morning, four of them would go to bed and the other two would crash out until about eight or nine, letting the other two get a few hours sleep. They would follow that schedule for the next two nights and then head home, get back on their usual schedules and then work on the evidence. It worked for them, had been working for them for the last couple of years.

Although if they ended up having to get rid of Marana they were going to have to move one of the beds into the living room with the monitors, so they could change the full time watch to only part time; with them switching out half way through the night. Sighing, Kyle dug around for some ice in the freezer, shaking his head and beyond pissed at the stupidity that was Marana. They really hadn’t thought that she would push Kyender so hard or so fast. The only real reason as to why they weren’t kicking her out at the moment was because she was still relatively useful at the moment.

But at the rate she was going, they were going to toss her out the door before the next day was over, he just knew it.

Shoving the thoughts out of his head as Markus and Marana came out of the cellar, they headed back into the living room, Kyle separating from the duo and putting the bowl down onto the table. Smiling at the sight of a semi relaxed Kyender, he sat down as the twins dropped ice into their glasses, still chatting with each other.

“I still say that it’s another entity that is doing all of this shit. It doesn’t add up,” Richard huffed, making Kyle raise an eyebrow as he picked up his plate, stealing another sandwich from the pile.

“So what are we talking about?” he asked, crossing his legs and settling back as he nibbled, content with feeling the heat from Kyenders body.

“We were talking about what was going on in this house. Before there weren’t really a whole lot of attacks and if there were, it didn’t escalate so fast,” Richard said, getting an eye roll from Orian.

“Those were reported attacks only,” Orian stated, waving a barbeque chip at his brother before biting into it with a crunch.

“And I’m saying that the attacks still don’t fit the profile, unreported attacks or not,” was the huffed reply from the darker twin.

“I have to agree with Richard actually,” Kyender said, nodding his head with a frown. “This case is odd, almost planned if you will. The attacks and strange laughter at the right time, the way most of the odd things should be explained away by something mundane, like pipes knocking or old wiring. I think it was in your report there, Richard, that the house had wiring that was over 30 years of age, before the newest styles were tested and approved right?” he asked, getting a nod of his head.

“Yeah. Like Richard said, it just doesn’t fit the profile that you get from past reports on the haunting. So I think we’re going to have to stay on our toes, not matter what the house throws at us,” Kyle agreed, getting a frown and a nod from Orian and one from Richard. Kyender simply hummed and ate another bite of his sandwich.

“These are really good by the way, Kyle,” the man hummed, watching a slight blush spread over the others cheeks.

“You’re welcome. Just something simple. I’ll make stew for dinner if that’s alright with everyone. They stocked the kitchen with everything I put on the list,” was the response, getting three enthusiastic ‘yes’s from the others.

*~*~*~*~*~*

He was pissed! The little incest waiting to happen had sent up warning flags for the others! Not that he could do shit about that, making him snarl unhappily as he stalked around his room.

He had to go through with the plan that he had taken so long convincing the Blood into using after all. It would punish him and he wanted nothing more then to not be punished since he knew he would be shoved back into that broken body for who knows how long.

Glaring at the body that he had housed for so long, he snarled and continued to pace.

Maybe it wasn’t all for naught. After all, the stupid bitch was working for him without even knowing it. Trying to get into her ex’s pants wasn’t a very smart move, especially when they were all so very, very mad.

Licking his lips again, he smirked, eyes glowing. Oh yes, maybe that would work in his favor. A few more pushes and she would do what he wanted her to do!

Now, how to push her to the edge that she was already so very, very close to? How to get her to do what he wanted?

Copyright © 2011 Rose Strailo; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..