Jump to content
    S.L. Lewis
  • Author
  • 2,238 Words
  • 1,017 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crimson Shadows - 16. Chapter 16

Title: Crimson Shadows
Series: The Shadows Play Ground
Chapter: 16
Word count: 2,837
AN: And another chapter down. We’re getting into it now!

“Marana seems kinda off somehow. And not just with the stalking of you and trying to pounce you in front of the twins, which was just really freaky odd,” Kyle mused as they walked down the stairs to the cellar, flipping on the lights as they went. Since the room was done with for the moment investigation wise, they didn’t have to really worry about the lights and flooding the basement with it. “It’s almost as if she is trying to get mad before that anger is just…deflated or something.”

“Yeah, I noticed. Do you think we should speak with her tonight instead of just waiting like we planned?” Kyender asked as he put down a recorder down on a table just in case they wanted to do a quick EVP session. “I have kinda noticed that she’s been spiraling downwards since that one case with the little child’s spirit that had been stuck to the property.”

“Wasn’t that the one where his body had been buried in the basement walls after he had been killed?” Kyle asked in return, a haunted look in his eyes at the thought that particular hunt. They had ended up solving a decade old crime, putting the case to rest after so long but it had been a particularly dark hunt, especially with the sounds that they had caught during the EVP sessions.

Kyender sighed and nodded, lips thinning as he said, “Yeah. After all, she had been the one that the little boy had attached himself to and had shown her were his body had been stuck. I can understand being thrown off by finding such a tiny femur, but this is getting ridiculous.” Huffing quietly, he eyed the younger male as he walked over to the area that the female spirit had supposedly disappeared into.

He couldn’t help but rather enjoy the way Kyle moved, loving that there was a twitch to his hips that wasn’t really noticeable unless you knew what to look for. Shifting on his feet, Kyender dragged his eyes away from the curve of the sweet ass that was before him and towards the wall that Kyle was tapping on. Both of them started too frown as they heard an echoing sound bounce back at them, prompting the older of the two to walk over to another wall and tap on it himself. The sound that came back was solid, making the both of them test the rest of the walls of the basement, only finding one other hollow sound. Grabbing his radio, Kyender pressed the button and held it up to his mouth.

“We found two hollow spots in the walls. We’re going to check out the second spot first before checking out the first one,” he said before letting go of the button.

“Sounds good. I’m working on noting the spots down now. Don’t forget your cameras,” Richard teased over the line, making the two in the cellar snort.

“Oh, yeah, you can’t afford to pull what Richard here did on the Dunnybuck case,” Orian teased, Richards sound of indignation clear over the line before it cut off, making Kyender and Kyle laugh and smirk at each other. Grabbing his camera, the older of the two started it up, filming his companion as the other started to press and test the walls. Soon, Kyle was smiling and very slowly pulling open a hidden door, exposing racks for wine bottles and a shelf with a small basket sitting just above them. Reaching up, Kyle pulled the basket down, finding nothing but some cobwebs and dust and maybe a spider that skittered away quickly.

Grabbing his flashlight as he put the basket back, Kyle shined the light into the wine racks, finding nothing abnormal, supernatural or paranormal there beyond the surprisingly sturdy shelving units and lots of dust. Turning to Kyender, he waved a hand towards it with a smile, inviting the other to film it before they moved on to the other wall.

Once they were done with the filming the shelving closet, as Richard had tagged it over the line, it wasn’t long before Kyle had the other door swinging open for them, shocking both of the men at the sight that greeted them.

“You have got to be kidding me,” Kyle breathed as Kyender scrambled quickly to connect the camera into the monitors upstairs. Pulling his radio up to his lips, the younger of the two pressed the button and asked, “Uncle Markus, Marana? Can you two grab a bin or something, along with the digital camera and the 35 millimeter camera? We just found a room that looks as if it has journals or something that no one knew about or so they look like, along with a lot of photos.” Letting go, he slowly stepped into the room and turned to the pictures, stroking over the frame of the first one, finding a brown, black and white photo of a pretty female who looked not older then Marana but seemed to radiate years beyond her looks.

“What’s the what now?” Markus asked as he and Marana came down the basement steps with a bin and cameras in hands. “You found what?”

“Looks like pictures and journals,” Kyle replied as he took the video camera from Kyender and started to go over the room with it, starting with the upper corner. “Someone take a moment to run a quick EVP session for me?” he asked, Marana nodding and handing the cameras over to Markus before picking up the audio recorder.

“Hello, my name is Marana and the three guys with me are Markus, his nephew Kyle and Kyender. Apparently a little girl walked through the door that leads to the room that Kyle is in at the moment, in fort of Richard and Orian, the two guys who were down here earlier this evening,” she said, walking around the room as Markus started to take pictures with the digital camera, Kyender setting up the other camera once the other two men were done. “Is that little girl still here? Are you willing to speak with us today?”

 

Pulling out her thermometer after a few moments, Marana walked around the room, taking down readings on a small writing pad, making sure to keep it away from the recorder. Markus smiled lightly at her and nodded his approval of her method as he finished with his own camera, Kyender taking his place. Kyle shivered as he stepped into a cold spot, waving a hand at her, getting her attention before motioning for her to take a reading of the blind room, not really surprised at how cold the reading turned out despite the amount of body heat that he and Kyender was putting out while they stood in the room.

 

“Do you know what year it is?” Markus asked suddenly, looking around as Kyle shifted to record him and Marana, Kyender starting to gather the journals and photos. Flipping one open, he just found some rather random and jumbled text on the page, making him wonder who had wrote it and how long ago it had been. “Do you know what this room is? Who made it?” Once more, Markus paused, looking to the recorder and watched at how fast the light was flashing and blinking at them. Looking to his companions, he raised an eyebrow at them as they watched it with him, surprised looks on their faces.

 

None of them had seen the recorder light freak out so badly in all of their hunts before that day, especially in a single day. They highly doubted that the best of the ghost hunters had ever seen something like that.

 

“Well, it looks like we’re going to have a lot of listening, watching and reading to do for the next few days,” Kyle mused softly to his uncle who nodded in agreement.

 

“Thank you for talking with us today. We do hope to talk with you some more later,” Marana said near them, waiting patiently for the flashing to stop once more before shutting the audio recorder off again. Kyle also stopped recording with his video camera before nodding to the stairs, leading everyone up them and to the living room. Markus hauled the bin behind them with Kyender quickly following to make sure he didn’t fall back accidentally.

 

“So, I have to ask, just how many blind rooms are running around this place that we don’t know about?” Richard asked in greeting as everyone walked in still looking a bit amazed.

 

“That’s actually a very good question. That’s room number three that wasn’t on the plans or in the public building codes. No, not even the wine rack room was on them, which is really shocking, especially with the laws that are running around,” Orian continued for them, waving a ‘pad at them. “I just e-mailed the Reams to see if they can’t get the blind room plans from the city, so we’ll know if they can’t get them sometime tomorrow afternoon. They didn’t know anything about the blind rooms which tells me that the realtor didn’t know about them.”

“Why would a realtor know about the rooms?” Marana asked, looking curious about that. Orian answered for them, having taken a few classes to understand the laws that ruled what sold and how it sold.

“Just like a houses past, all rooms have to be admitted to before hand so customers know exactly what they’re paying for,” he stated, smiling lightly at his companions. “This includes a list of blind rooms, where they are located for easy finding, if they happen to be sealed or not, and what they were used for when they were built and through the time the house has stood, if that information is available. Like the history of the house, it ranks up there in needing to know just in case something gets into them, or things were hidden in them for some odd reason. They have to be disclosed otherwise the realtor can be sued for not giving all of the information.”

“But that is only if they know about it and that depends on if the people who owned the house knew about them,” Kyle said as he switched out the data chips in the digital and video cameras, labeling them with small printed off labels. “The blind room plans are only accessible by the owners after all and if the owners don’t know about them, then neither does the realtor. That’s why they always suggest to the new owners that they go to City Hall and check out the plans for any blind rooms, especially if a house was built after 2990. Either that or to go around tapping the walls, since some blind rooms weren’t admitted to,” he finished as he stuck new data chips into the cameras.

“Oh,” Marana drawled slowly before shaking her head. “So, we listen to the EVPs, get some sleep and read some journals?” she asked, handing over the audio recorder, getting a nod from the others as Markus gathered the recorder tapes and labeled them with a marker.

“Yeah. For now Richard and Orian can watch the monitors and we’ll start on the rest. We have about an hour before we need to start the free lance recording,” Kyender mused, grabbing his own laptop and sitting down on the couch before dragging the bin with the journals in it over. “I’ll start on the journals if someone wants to start on the EVPs.”

“I will,” Marana offered, getting a smile and nod from Kyender. Sitting down, she took the specialized tape deck and one of the laptops, hooking them up before being handed the tapes. Sticking the first one in, she started transferring the recordings onto the computer and a few data chips as Kyle muttered to himself and dragged off Markus to grab the fruit that had been left sitting on the counter in the kitchen. Richard and Orian turned back to their monitors, occasionally writing something down that they had seen to go over later on with the rest of the group.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Watching them work their way through all of the information, he had to laugh and shook his head with a smirk as he trailed his hands over the wall as he walked around the room, trying hard not to mess with them. The Blood would get mad and punish him for messing with the fools so soon; especially after they had just found the Broken room.

He would get his chance later in the night, as soon as the Blood rested and meditated, speaking with his own master. His master having a master surprised him though, making him wonder just who this so called master was, and how he had tamed a creature made of blood and hate and all the nastier emotions that all humans felt. He wondered also why he hadn’t heard of this being when he had started to work with the Blood.

Shaking his head, he smirked lightly and slid through a wall, leaving them to do what they wanted for the moment. He would get his chance at them soon, he just knew it.

Laughing lowly, he went to set up the rest of the fun for the hunt, hoping that he would get to hear their screams again.

Copyright © 2011 Rose Strailo; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..