Jump to content
    S.L. Lewis
  • Author
  • 4,700 Words
  • 831 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Various One Shots - 10. Dreaming Fae

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of characters to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. The Author holds exclusive rights to this work. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited.

It was fluttering in the wind, eyes drawn to the beads and crystals tapped together as feathers brushed over them. The hoops leather was almost black with age and grime while its spider web was dirty but still strong after so many years of exposure.

The house that it protected had long ago been abandoned by the owners. The tales of the land calling it haunted, cursed by dark spells. No one knew the real legend, the real tale of the house.

Lin preferred it that way, liked it just fine. It meant that his company could keep a better eye on it without interference.

But at the moment, there were two idiots who were trying to screw everything up by convincing him to go for the thrice damned dream catcher.

Lin sighed and looked up to the house, feeling as if something had taken up residence in the house but couldn’t quite figure out what. It was a good thing he was still in his car since it looked as if he had to call Alexander and Ri-Sou about the history, since he never looked it up. He needed it before he went in.

Pulling the skirt to his rather twisted witches out fit up, he grabbed his phone from the garter belt holder. Flipping his phone open, he dialed his friends number as he put his car into park before the house and waited for the two humans who were following him.

“Lin? What has you calling my office instead of my cell?” came a sweet, if slightly frazzled, voice.

“I need you to look something up for me. I know that Ri-Sou is there to help with your Geisha outfit.” Hearing Alexander sigh and the sound of keys being tapped, he knew he had been put onto the speaker phone.

“Alright, what do you need?” Alexander finally asked as Ri-Sou cursed in the background followed by a furious tapping of keys.

“I need some information on 236 W. Catcher Lane. More specifically, the land around it, about 2 acres total around the house itself,” Lin said, listening to the two men type before the soft clicks of mouse buttons followed.

“Alright, let the program run. While it does that, let me slid into my costume. By the time I’m done, the search should be done,” Alexander told his friend, sounds of ruffling coming over the phone. Sitting back, Lin started to really examine the house before him.

The windows were boarded over, or had their shutters tightly closed, to keep out the elements. Only the one window near the top that the dream catcher hung was left open. The walls and shingles were looking as if they had seen better days, some falling off even as he watched, while others were barely hanging on. The porch looked as if it was sagging near the middle from rot, the steps seemingly just as bad.

He was not looking forward to entering the house and the mere thought of it made him sigh as a beep sounded in his hear, the rustling of fabrics following soon after.

“The search is done and with very specific information instead of 300 things. Your system sucks, Lin,” Alexander teased, getting a small growl from said male. “Alright, alright, I know already. You’re working on it. Now, the history for that piece of land is that it was given to one of the first settlers of New York and his family. It’s not clear on who that was since the moment the house was officially built, it seemed to be cursed,” said he continued, the creak of leather filling the silence after.

“What kind of curse?” Lin asked, curiosity tingeing his voice as he tugged on a piece of loose hair. It was Ri-Sou who answered his question.

“No real curse actually. It’s more that it was considered holy ground by the natives and was also considered a not so nice place,” the fae told him, his voice growing louder, as if he was moving closer to the phone.

“A lot of blood was spilt on the land apparently; first between warring Native tribes and then between the settlers and the Native Americans. After that, it was the various wars that swept through the United States and mini fights over land and what not,” Alexander continued.

“The land has changed hands quite a few times, mostly because people don’t want to stay there for very long. The house itself was torn down and rebuilt about 3 times since the first house went up. The one that is standing now was the last one that was built just after the Civil War,” Ri-Sou butted in, the sounds of clicking keys creating a background to his words.

“So it was cursed by blood pretty much. Demons took the chance at using the lands for their own use?” Lin asked, twisting a bit of hair around his finger.

“Sort of,” Alexander started, sounding a bit hesitant. “It’s been said that beyond the blood, very nasty rites happened on the land and in the house,” he continued, starting to sound worried instead.

“What type?” Lin asked, watching as headlights passed by him and the house.

“The darker ones actually. Mostly it was a small family wanting to raise a demon but they ended up eaten instead, leaving a portal open. Someone did close it, your great, great grandmother by the looks of it, Lin,” Ri-Sou told him.

“The reports say that the dream catcher was found about 3 weeks before the portal was opened. They removed it but it appeared back in the house during the closing. Any attempts to remove it ended up in a rather sticky situation,” Alexander continued for them.

“Mostly a not so pretty death. One guy ended up having a heart attack in the middle of walking the Grand Canyon. He fell over the side and ended up in a few dozen pieces held together by a skin suit,” Ri-Sou moaned, sounding like he was about to get sick.

“I did not need know that,” Lin moaned, shaking his head, his hair sticks clinking together with the movement. “What else is there?”

“There’s a small note about the dream catcher,” Alexander replied, sounding as if he was fussing with something. “It says that your grandmother said that the connection needs to be snapped before the catcher can be removed from the house. After that, the portal can be closed completely and the home cleansed.”

“I see,” Lin mused, watching as a car containing the two males he was due to meet drove up, pulling in beside him. “The fools are here. Who owns the house?”

“You do. Or I should say the company does. What are you going to do?” Alexander asked.

“I’m gonna break the connection. Ri-Sou, can you, Ki and Brishi come to close the portal when I’m done? I’ll have Miki cleanse the house for me to,” the small male replied, watching a dirty blond vampire and a green haired mage step out of the car. “I also think I might have a couple of guests at the company.”

“I’ll set things up,” Ri-Sou replied.

“And I have a festival to get to. Liam is waiting for me,” Alexander chirped, the sound of ruffling filling Lins ear as he opened the door of his jeep.

“Fine. I’ll call you two when things are done,” Lin told the two before closing his phone. Slipping out of his car and smoothing down his slightly loose black skirt, high heels clicking in the gravel, Lin closed the door behind him and checked that his phone and keys were still in his hip pouch. Walking over to the other two, he stood in front of the house and looked upwards at it with a raised eyebrow. “So, you wanna tell me what I’m doing here, Mark?” Lin drawled, sliding dark eyes to the other. The dark mage smirked at him with black lips.

“You’re here to grab the dream catcher. You need to get to it in one piece and bring it down,” he said, spreading his hands in a simple-as-that gesture.

“You’re not telling me something,” Lin purred, looking over the house, eyes tracing over barely there lines of power.

“Well,” Mark started, looking at the vampire, “how about Jason tells you the story?” Turning to the other male, Lin raised an eyebrow and waited for the story, shifting on his feet, one hip cocked to the side as he waited.

“The land itself was used by Natives for various reasons, most lost to history,” Jason started, his voice low and melodious. “They say that they used it to hold their mad, their dying, their infected, but it’s not really known. As the various wars happened the house was rebuilt three different times, before finally a family moved into its last and latest reincarnation. They were far from good, far from what you would expect of a middle class family on the fast track to being a higher class family.

“During the years they were there, they waited for their sons to turn 16, otherwise known as coming of age. When they finally did, the two sons were sent out to find the small groove of white birch trees that grows on the land and gather fresh twigs to make dream catchers. They were also to hunt three rabbits and or a deer for the skin.

“After they did that, they were to head home. But they were also carrying a dream catcher. Apparently it had been carried by the deer that they had caught. As soon as the dream catchers were created, they started to a rather pathetic rite to pull a demon to our world,” Jason told Lin, making Lin raise an eyebrow.

“So they tried to enslave the demon how?” Lin drawled; his voice was laced with disdain for those who were trying to raise a demon.

“With the dream catchers. The rite called for them to hold it tight and stop it from escaping,” the mage said, blinking at the other male. He had never heard Lin sound like that in all of the years he had known him.

“Let me guess, the demon got free right?” the small fae drawled.

“Yeah. It killed the family and others that were there, but it is unknown where the sons are or even what happened to them,” Jason said, nodding his head.

“Their bodies were never found. And the dream catcher has been there since and refuses to be removed,” Mark continued, throwing an arm around Lins waist, causing the smaller male to glare at him. Side stepping to the left and smoothing his skirt down before tweaking his belt, Lin glared at the other lightly.

“So, why did you bring me here?” Lin asked. Mark smirked and pulled out a digital camera and three memory cards.

“Well, we’ve heard that you can go into a brand new house and photograph a ghost,” Jason replied, waving a hand at the camera. “We want to see what would happen if you took pictures in a real haunted house. This includes one of the dream catcher.”

“So, all you two want,” Lin starts, taking the camera and sticks between his fingers, “are pictures of the house just because I can take ghost pictures?” Mark and Jason looked at one another as they smirked and nodded before looking at Lin again.

“Yeah, pretty much,” they said together, making Lin huff and start up the steps, his walking light and nearly soundless. Hearing the two behind him walk back to the cars, he reached out and gently caressed the front door with the tips of his fingers. He could feel the hum of magic and the taint of darker magicks that had been performed on the land. They were both literally soaked into the wood, metal, and brick of the home.

It sent a rather delicious shiver down his back. Magic was always so nice to feel; dark, light or gray, it hardly mattered to him. It was all natural and spoke to that part of him.

Opening the door and stepping in, Lin allowed his senses to open up to the feel of the home. Closing the door, he stepped gently on the floor, listening to the creaks to see if any of the wood was weak.

Outside, Mark and Jason idly played with two small dream catcher charms that rested around their necks.

“Do you think he’ll come out?” Mark asked softly, watching a flash go off in the front windows. Jason shrugged with a frown in reply.

“We’ll never know until he comes out or not. It’s a matter of waiting,” Jason mused, tucking his necklace back into his shirt. Moving to open the back door of their car, he looked to his brother and said, “Let’s do our homework. Demon bound or not, we have to keep our grades up.”

“Yes, brother,” Mark hummed, sliding into the front passenger seat, ignoring Lin who was looking out the window. They would learn if they were free or not later.

Dropping the curtains down, Lin moved around the rather dust free living room, taking a few more pictures of it. Sighing, he pulled his phone out of his hip purse and dialed Alexanders office number, knowing that Ri-Sou would be there. Getting an answer quickly, he paused in the middle of the room, snapping a few pictures.

“Ri-Sou, I need you to look something up for me. Can you get me the layout of the house and send it to my phone? Also, any information that you can get would be nice,” Lin requested, getting a quiet affirmative from his friend. Getting off of the cell, he didn’t have to wait very long for the information to be sent. At least having enough time to move around the staircase, taking a few pictures without looking, and straight into the dining room and kitchen.

Putting the phone onto the counter and opening the small file, he pointed it to the wall, looking over the lay out. It looked like there were a few bedrooms upstairs, with some bedrooms, the last room with the access to the attic. It was set up so that it was just one long hall way all around.

Making mental notes on the layout, he picked up the phone and slid it back into his purse before padding to the stairs finally, only stopping to take a picture of the hall and the rather large library near the living room that he had ignored originally. Walking up the stairs, he took the time to test each step, not wanting to fall through them.

Shoving a piece of his hair back behind one ear, he stopped on the landing and brought the camera up, taking a few pictures of the hallway. Looking around him, he finally settled on the first door to his right to open first, and stepped into the room. He blinked at the sight of a rather nice bathroom, if a bit old fashioned.

“I really wish Ri-Sou had remembered to add pictures of the house.” Lin pouted too himself as he took a few pictures of the room, getting enough to make a 3-D model of them later on. Stepping back out, he closed the door and noticed that the door across from the bathroom was slightly open.

Stepping over to it, a shiver went down his back as he eyed the wood before him. Finally shoving it open, he tilted his head to the side at the chill that escaped. Stepping in and flashing a few pictures from his spot, he looked down and noted the dark spots on the floor. Taking some pictures of said spots, he stepped fully inside, stroking a hand over the dresser that sat by the door. A vanity with a covered mirror sat by a large bay window and a bed sat in the middle of a dark rug that looked as if it sat over a few more dark spots.

Taking a closer look, Lin gagged, noticing how there were some spots that were a bright yellow on the rug.

“Shit, murder city? Or was it homicide?” he asked himself as he snapped pictures of the rug and bed before taking more of the room itself. Quickly leaving the room, he closed the door and shivered. “I could never get those two straight. Note to self, need to find out what is up with that room.”

Shaking his head and quickly visiting the next three rooms, he noticed that the door he wanted the most, the one with the attic entrance, sat to his right instead of at the very end of the hallway like most doors would be. Stepping through one last door, he worked his way through the nearly bare room, a bed and vanity the only furniture, then through the connecting bathroom and bedroom, before moving out into the hallway once more.

Stopping in front of the bedroom he wanted, knowing the stairs to the attic was behind that door somewhere, Lin dug around his pouch once more and pulled out his phone, this time calling Ri-Sou directly.

“Yes?” came the slightly perky voice, making Lin groan softly.

”Don’t be perky please,” the cross dresser growled. “Listen, did you find any more information about the house?” he asked. The sounds of clacking keys and snickers answered him. “What did you find out, oh great and wondrous researcher?”

“Not as much information as you would think actually. The longest lasting family was the one who did the rite to bring the demon forth,” Ri-Sou replied. “They actually built the house but had to flee when that one war got a bit to close, but they moved in again just before the war stopped. There was the mother, the father and two sons officially but there were rumors of a third son that no one knew about,” Ri-Sou replied, a few more clacks of keys following. “It looked like the boys were just turning 1 and 2 at the time they had to leave.”

“Why wasn’t that in the main report? All rumors are to be talked about,” Lin hissed, getting a growl in return.

“Apparently someone decided that it was just that: a rumor started by someone who hated the family. I’ll find out who wrote the newest reports and beat them upside the head if you want,” Ri-Sou retorted, making Lin sigh and rub the bridge of his nose.

“Fine, do it. Now, tell me about the rumors will you?” he asked, pressing a hand to the door. Feeling the darkness, sadness, and hatred that resonated, it sent shivers down his arms and spine.

“Alright. Well, we have in depth journals from the wife, the husband, and the two boys apparently. They all talk about him quite a bit actually,” Ri-Sou hummed, sounding as if he was scanning them quickly. “Why it was considered a rumor when the report was made, I will never understand, especially when we have their journals. Ah, I see why. They were under a different listing then the reports on the house.

“Now, they say he was a surprise child, unplanned and that they hadn’t thought that she could have any more. The first two children were 4 and 5 respectively. So about two years after they moved in,” Ri-Sou said, a few clicks sounding over the line. Lin could only guess that the fae was marking the journals correctly.

“So we have any notes on why they thought that?” Lin asked, removing his hand from the door. Turning around, he leant against the wall next to the room, rolling the information around his head.

“The doctor that they saw after their second child,” Ri-Sou said, nearly snorting. “He was later sued 8 ways to Sunday for lying to his patients, giving out unneeded medication and promising them more then possible, which was surprising during that time.”

“Great. So the child?” Lin asked, steering the subject back to what he wanted to know.

“Okay, the child. He was a surprise and unwanted, as said before. What the wife wrote was that she promised ‘the child to the demon if it was pretty enough to please it’. Her words,” the other fae said. Sighing, Lin smacked his head against the wall. He had a feeling he knew where this was going. “The child was born and was perfectly fine except that his hair was an odd color. A, quote, ‘rich, soft white, like that of the birch that sits outside my window’, unquote. Beyond that he was fine. Would turn into a beautiful boy, which he did, but the family didn’t want the attention he would draw. So they tried everything to hide his hair. It never once worked so they kept him pretty much locked away from the world.”

“How was he growing up?” Lin asked as he tried not to sigh, closing his eyes as the feelings from the room seeped into him. He could feel the under lying of betrayal.

“Angry, hurt, sad. At least according to the second eldest,” Ri-Sou told him. “He would lash out at the parents, but was insanely protective of his older brothers. The parents didn’t know why but it does state that they were in an incestuous relationship with one another in the older boys’ journal. Apparently they spent so much time with one another, they became more than brothers.”

“Did the parents know? And were they involved in a sexual relationship at that time?”

“No, on both those parts, but they did kiss. Ah, something to note, the youngest was amazing at creating things. The items were sent to other big cities and sold but there were hundreds of things created and hidden. No mention on what happened to the boy after the two oldest came of age.”

“Alright. Thanks, Ri-Sou,” Lin said, pushing off the wall and closing the phone. “Poor child. I hope that I can find out what happened to him. But first, I need to snap that connection.” Steeling his nerves, he opened the door, stepped inside, and blinked in surprise at finding a fully functioning room that looked well lived in. Taking a few pictures from the door way, he stepped in and closed the door behind him. Moving around the bed that took up the middle of the room, he snapped more pictures, finishing off another stick, having started using it in the second bathroom. Finding two doors on one wall, he opened the door to his left and found a set of narrow stairs.

“Bingo,” he muttered to himself before he closed the door. “But first, I want to see this mini bathroom,” he mused, opening the other door, finding a semi modern bathroom. Stepping inside, his eyes trailed over the moon lit claw foot tub, the rather modern faucets, sinks and the toilet. He took in the bathroom bag and put the puzzle pieces that he had been gathering together with a smile.

Leaving it after he was done with his picture taking, he tucked the camera away, intent on doing what he needed to do. Reaching into another smaller pouch, he pulled out a small bottle of ink and a thin paint brush from it. Opening the bottle, he dipped the bristles into the ink before placing a rune on the bottom stair.

“To contain,” he breathed, his eyes flashing. Standing up, he started up the stairs, occasionally drawing a run on the walls. Finally making it all the way up the stairs, he stopped and drew one last rune. “To cleanse. Now, I can feel you there. Where is the fool demon whom holds a fae touched as a pet?” he asked, closing the ink bottle, keeping it in his hands just in case. The sound of soft footsteps greeted his ears as silver and cream flashed in the moon light.

“Mark and Jason don’t know what you are, do they?” came a sweet voice from behind him. Turning around, Lin smiled gently at the sweet looking male before him. The other wore simple breeches and an equally simple shirt and was bare foot, while his hair was indeed a beautiful white, pulled back into a tight braid.

“No, they don’t. My name is Lin and I own a specialized business,” he introduced himself, using his free hand to pull out a card, handing it over to the slim male. “Yes, I’m a male, but I prefer to dress as a female. Do you have access to the outside world? Internet? Your brothers?”

“My brothers, some internet. Mostly news sites and research items,” the white haired male replied, fingering the card. “How did you know that I would have some access?”

“You really didn’t seem surprised at the fact that I’m a cross dresser, much less that I’m not human,” Lin told the other, looking around the room in a sweeping gaze. “There’s no record of your name. Can I have it?” Lin asked, watching shadows merge to the side.

“I was named Tea. Yes, like the drink,” Tea smiled sweetly, eyes sparkling. “My mother and father did not care what I was called so Mark named me. Considering he was 6, I was lucky to have such a name,” he teased, starting to play with his braid in a nervous gesture.

“Why are you bound here?” Lin asked, kneeling down and using the last of his ink to create a small rune circle on the floor near Tea.

“The demon linked me and tied what magic I had to the dream catcher,” Tea replied, pointing to the object. “I had made it but it had been taken by a brownie. My brothers found it and I’m sure you’ve heard about it already.”

“Yes, I’ve heard,” the cross dresser said, standing up again and stepping on the circle. “I will be asking you to create a report for me. You and your brothers both please. It won’t be accessible by any one but those who are high enough in my business.”

“I can do that. But what can you do about getting me free?” was asked.

“That’s easy. Your biological donors called up a tiny demon. Actually, a minion, a really, really small minion,” Lin explained, nearly purring at the sudden screech and the sound of a rubber band snapping as he added power to the rune circle. Tea dropped to the floor suddenly, looking dazed and slightly confused from his place on the floor, lying on his back.

“What?” Tea breathed as Lin walked over to the dream catcher and removed it from its nail.

“Well, when I first came in, I didn’t know what demon it was,” Lin started, walking back over to his companion. “Once I walked into the attic, I could feel it and you. It was using your power to make itself seem fearsome and big. These types of demons need to bind the powers of others to something the person created or loves immensely,” Lin explained in simple terms.

“I see,” Tea hummed in return, slowly standing up as his once dull silver eyes turned into a rich, vibrant blue. “I feel…”

“Free? As if you can fly and never touch down?” Lin suggested, raising an eyebrow and taking the other mans hand. “You probably can. Your mother was more then likely the lover of a fae, which is where your hair color comes from. You need to train, both you and your brothers. You’ll continue to live until you are killed or want to leave, but free.”

“Free…” Tea sighed, his eyes happy. “I like that.” Nodding, Lin drew the new part Fae down the stairs and out the door. Soon enough, the three were cleansed of the darkness, debriefed and sent off for training with some of Lins own teachers.

Closing his laptop, shoes dangling from his fingers, Lin looked up at the window that once more had the dream catcher hanging there. Tea had said that it didn’t look right without the ratty item hanging there.

Lin had to agree with that.

Title: Dreaming Fae
Fandom or Original: Original
World if Original: Finding Salvation in the Dark
Characters: Lin, Ri-Sou, Alexander, Jason, Mark, Tea, Random minion demon
Other information: Commission for Tay
AN: This…took so long to write and even longer to edit! My god! It was out to get me! I’m done with it. It’s over. If you see something you’re not happy with, tell me and I’ll deal with it…eventually.
Copyright © 2010 Rose Strailo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..