Jump to content
    S.L. Lewis
  • Author
  • 642 Words
  • 743 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Various One Shots - 8. A Difference of Worlds

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of characters to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. The Author holds exclusive rights to this work. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited.

She wasn’t really pretty or very popular. She had a few friends, true, but she never really got very close to them, had no real urge to do so anyways.

She wasn’t really good at school, or so people were wont to believe. In fact she was really good at it. But no one saw that. No one wanted to and that suited her just fine. She didn’t want their attention, didn’t need it either.

After all, if they paid attention, they would figure out her secret and she couldn’t have that after all. She had to continue to hide away from those who would judge and whisper about her.

Like her boss said, the world wasn’t ready to know about their kind. The humans were still so closed minded about them, they who stayed hidden amongst the shadows; the vampires and demons; the youkai and the fae; the fairies and other beings of magic. All those who walked among the humans, living as the humans did and those who hunted the humans in an attempt to exterminate them.

She hunted those who used the humans as prey. But that wasn’t here or there.

For it was Halloween, the one time of year where she was able to let loose and relax, to drop the glamour and walk among the humans as herself. To show her true colors as one of the elite guardians, watcher of the third prince of the fae throne and their top enforcer of the laws that governed their people and their movements.

She would watch avidly, as if it never happened before, as long brown hair became a rich bloody red. She would stare as plain blue eyes would become molten silver, shifting and swirling and tanned skin would ripple just the tiniest bit as it became cream colored.

Smiling, she dressed simply; leather pants and open back shirt, wards tucked away in a small pouch, along side various colored sands. A small knife tucked into a holster and she was ready to face the world, leaving the mousy girl behind and becoming the huntress she was.

But this time, there was no hunt, not this night, but rather a Halloween party. A place where she could dance and play; where she didn’t have to hide herself from their gazes.

Stepping onto the street, plum colored lips pulled upwards into a smile as a princess, her strong prince and a little Dracula ran past, a woman following close behind. Their laughter floated behind them, filling the air with other shrieks of joy.

‘Trick or Treat’ floated by her as she wondered down the street, taking in the sight of children having fun. Vampires, fairies, ghosts and princesses mingled with the Supermen, Spidermen, Batmen and villains as they moved from house to house. She spotted a group that had dressed up as a bunch of zombies, the guardian standing behind them with a mini zombie in his arms, the childes head lying on his shoulders.

Various decorations gazed back from porches and yards. Grinning skeletons and Jack-o-lanterns leered at her from amongst real and fake spider webs. Lights flashed as cackling erupted from a witch hanging in a tree, making several children jump and then laugh with delight.

Arriving where she had been headed, she paused and took in the outside of the house. Bats and cobwebs stretched over the front railing as witches, skeletons, zombies, a Frankenstein monster and ghosts littered the yard and trees. The Jack-o-lanterns lit the path before her as black lights cast creepy shadows over everything.

It was the perfect cheesy Halloween party house and just what she wanted.

After all, during the other 364 days she had to be the mousy Kyla.

But now, on All Hallows Eve, she could be the beautiful and untouchable fae warrior Mikisha.

She could be herself.

Copyright © 2010 Rose Strailo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..