Jump to content
    SteveTrevor
  • Author
  • 2,070 Words
  • 2,374 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Colonel's Liberty - 2. No Brakes

The open top jeep sped along the rutted back road. From above, the sunlight flitted through the high evergreen canopies. For all his initial dismay at being assigned as a dog robber, the good weather, open country and handsome man sitting beside him had changed Cameron’s mood significantly.

The Colonel turned out to be pleasant company, treating his subordinate as a person rather than just an underling he could order about. When Haverson asked questions about Cameron’s past, he seemed genuinely interested in the Corporal’s replies. The Colonel also had the good manners to not mention the accident, an almost unique feat in itself. Most people couldn’t help but prod when they found out who Cameron was.

It was obvious that Haverson was in his element; clearly enjoying being out of the office and in the field, even if it was just for maneuvers. His deeply tanned face and arms spoke to a lifetime spent under a sun rather than sitting behind a desk. When they stopped to talk to a group of soldiers or a fellow observer, Cameron could see how the Colonel possessed the easy confidence of a man comfortable in a position of power; his voice was clear and although it had been nothing but warm to him, he had no doubt it could easily take on a more commanding tone. Even in the privacy of the jeep he held his broad shoulders high and kept his posture straight.

When Haverson’s questions toward him lulled, Cameron decided to turn the tables, keen to know more about the man. “What about you, Sir. Where are you from?”

“Out West, originally,” Haverson answered, thinking nothing of engaging in casual conversation with an enlisted man. He was charming company, even with the restrictions between officer and NCO. “Bounced around for a few years before I decided to plant some roots here with Rachel.”

“Your wife, Sir?”

“Daughter,” the Colonel replied with a proud smile. “Her mom and I divorced, must be close to ten years ago. Just me and Rachel now.”

With a sigh, Cameron let his fantasy die. A fantasy was all it could have been; there were clear regulations governing fraternization between ranks and even then, there would have little chance that the Colonel would have been interested in a much younger man. The reveal of his daughter was the final reality nail in the coffin. Still, it would have been nice to hold onto the idea for a little while longer.

“What’s your goal with the army?” The Colonel’s question snapped him from his reverie.
Cameron considered the question before admitting he didn’t know. He had served his first period of enlistment and with nothing better to do had signed on for another four. John nodded slowly as Cameron answered. “You should have a plan,” he said, glancing across at him. “Did Lieutenant Stein tell you my role?”

Stein had told Cameron very little and was happy to offload him on to Haverson as quick as he could and get back to his chain smoking. “No Sir,” Cameron replied.

“I’m on secondment with the IASC,” he said, using the abbreviation for the Inter Agency Security Council. The Colonel paused, letting Cameron take in what he had just said. The IASC was affiliated with the United States Department of Defense, coordinating the efforts of other US intelligence agencies. In essence, the IASC served as a co-equal partner to the other intelligence bodies without being part of any of them.

“It means my coat buttons over a few more activities than most Army Colonel’s.”

Cameron kept his eyes on the road, keenly aware of the Colonel’s dark, intelligent eyes watching for his reaction. “Yes Sir,” he replied, keeping his voice neutral.

“I asked them to send me a reliable man and I got you. So far, I like what I see.” In spite of himself, Cameron allowed himself a sideways glance at the Colonel. “You seem capable and discrete. We’ll be working closely together and we need to trust each other.”

“Yes sir,” Cameron replied again. “I like the sound of that.” From the corner of his eye, he sensed Haverson relax ever so slightly, seemingly satisfied with his response.

The road took them up a steep hill, the path winding its way slowly around the face and toward the peak. Toward the top the road ahead was blocked by a checkpoint.. A Major, with a group of Lieutenants watching, waved their jeep to a stop. The Major saluted Haverson with a smile as he approached.The Colonel returned the salute, followed by a warm handshake and a backslap.

Exiting the vehicle to stretch his legs, Cameron was close enough to hear the conversation between the two officer’s. Obviously Haverson and the Major, Boothe, according by his name tag were old buddies. “Drink tonight?” Boothe asked.

“Could be tempted,” Haverson replied. “Assuming you don’t keep me here too late,” he said, tapping the face of his gold watch.

“Wouldn’t dream of it, old friend. Speaking of which, fancy lending a hand? Might speed things up.”

“Of course,” the Colonel said.

Boothe slapped him on the back once more. “There’s a convoy coming through this way heading for the base. They’re carrying heavy duty munitions. Thought it’d be a good opportunity for the young officer’s to get some real life practise for vehicle checkpoints.” Haverson nodded his understanding as the Major gave him one final friendly slap on the shoulder and handed his clipboard over.

As the Colonel turned to the waiting group of officers, Cameron watched Boothe hurriedly walk to his own idling jeep and take off in the opposite direction. A sudden sense of unease began to gnaw in Cameron’s gut but he had no idea why. Since he had taken on the identity of Liberty he had become a much more cynical sort, waiting to see the worst in everyone. Boothe’s quick exit and caught his attention.

"The scenario is a basic one," Haverson said, his voice clear and confident as he addressed the group. The Colonel did not seem remotely phased by Boothe’s sudden departure and if a man with his record wasn’t worried, then there was really no reason why Cameron should be either. “We’re dealing with a simple road checkpoint exercise. Three trucks will soon be passing by our location. One, identified in your briefing, is our target vehicle. You are to stop that vehicle and conduct your check, keeping track of anything suspicious either in the truck or from the driver. Understood?" The affirmations came with a chorus of nods and Yes Sir's. "Good," John nodded. "Get in position."

Cameron dutifully followed the Colonel to a copse of young trees where they stood in silence, watching the Lieutenant’s arrange the checkpoint. “Seems a bit strange, Sir,” Cameron ventured cautiously after a few minutes. “The Major taking off so suddenly.”

Haverson turned to his driver, some of the warmth from before gone from his eyes. “How do you mean, Corporal.”

“I…” Cameron realised he was in dangerous territory. Not only was he dealing with a far superior officer, he was also about to call into question the integrity of what seemed to be a close friend. “It’s nothing Sir.”

Haverson’s expression softened slightly. “Major Boothe is running the entire exercise, Corporal. You don’t need to worry, I know I’m getting old, but I can still manage a group of ten junior officers.” He managed a rueful smile for Cameron’s benefit. While his concerns weren’t assuaged, the discussion was most definitely closed.

“Yes Sir,” Cameron replied , knowing better than to question a superior officer.

John looked up as a low rumble sounded in the distance. "Right on time," he noted with satisfaction as he checked his watch. A minute later, the first two trucks moved through the location without incident. The Colonel waved the men forward as the third approached but they were stopped in their tracks by the incessant blaring of the vehicle's horn.

Even from a distance, Cameron could see the truck was coming into the position too fast. Men dived for cover as the vehicle screeched against the stone face of the hill before careening across the narrow dirt road and into the flimsy crash barrier.

Cameron looked away, waiting for the sickening sound of the vehicle rolling over the edge but it never came. He turned back slowly to see the truck teetering on the lip of the drop. The hill and the barrier had slowed the truck enough to stop it plunging over the side. The grateful driver, clearly shaken, leaped from the cab as John and Cameron ran up to the checkpoint.

The truck still sat precariously perched on the edge of the cliff. Lieutenant," John called out to the nearest officer. "Shore up the front of the vehicle. I'll get in the cab and try to back it up."

It took Cameron a second to process what the Colonel had just said. “Sir..” he began to protest.

"Hey! Hey, what's going on?" Cameron turned to find a young man and woman standing a few feet from the crash. The pair were dressed in summer hiking gear and the man pointed his phone from Cameron to the teetering truck and back to Cameron.

"Holden!" John called, his brow furrowing. "Get those people back." Cameron did as he was ordered, ushering the couple away as the man protested loudly about his civil rights. It was public ground but the military had closed off the area for the day for the purpose of the exercise. Somehow the pair had managed to inadvertently slip the cordon.

Cameron watched from over his shoulder as the men worked on getting the jeep ready. The hikers had given him the perfect distraction to disappear and change into Liberty but he resisted the urge. The small matter of explaining what Liberty was doing so far out in the sticks and where Corporal Holden had disappeared to, would have been too difficult.

With the civilians at a safe distance, Cameron quickly returned to the scene. "The front secure?" John asked one of the Lieutenant's as he walked to the truck.

"As secure as we can make it," the man replied.

"Sir,” Cameron interrupted. “Are you sure about this?"

"I don't intend to lose a truck full of military equipment if I can help it," Haverson said. He paused, noticing his driver's obvious unease. "Don’t fret Corporal, it's not worth my life. As soon as I get any hint the truck is in danger, I'll get out." He clasped Cameron on the shoulder as he moved past him. No one else had volunteered but Cameron doubted John was the type of man who would allow anyone to do the job in his place. “Tall, dark, handsome and brave,” Cameron thought to himself. “It’s a wonder I haven’t fallen into a swoon just by being around him.”

John stepped slowly onto the foot-well. The truck didn't move and carefully he eased the rest of his weight onto it before sliding into the cabin. He took care to leave the door wide open in case he needed a quick exit.

Cameron held his breath as the Colonel revved the engine hard. At first nothing happened but after a few seconds the back wheels had finally found some traction. The front of the truck began to rise from over the edge and a few of the men started hollering approval.

With clenched teeth, Cameron waited for the engine to fail and for the truck to plunge forward. If that happened, he’d stop it, secret identity be damned. He’d never lifted anything as near as heavy as a truck but he wasn’t about to let the Colonel put his life on the line without stepping in. The shouts of the men and the rev of the engine grew louder as the seconds ticked by. To Cameron’s relief, the engine held and within seconds the vehicle was back on solid ground.

The Colonel was surrounded by the group of officers as he stepped down from the cab. Cameron waited patiently for John to join him. The Colonel’s smile was almost embarrassed as he extracted himself from the praise chorus. “I promise, Corporal,” he said, holding up his hands, “I didn’t engineer that just to impress my new driver.”

Cameron’s own smile faltered slightly. “No,” he thought. “But someone did.”

Copyright © 2017 SteveTrevor; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Excellent second chapter. I’m liking the colonel more and more.  I like a guy who wouldn’t order someone to do something he’s not willing to do himself.  Now the question is, who was being the accident? 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well, you certainly got my heart beating faster first thing in the morning. Great follow up chapter: you gave us some more insight into the characters while raising even more questions that we now want answered--soon!  :2thumbs:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
18 hours ago, LitLover said:

Excellent second chapter. I’m liking the colonel more and more.  I like a guy who wouldn’t order someone to do something he’s not willing to do himself.  Now the question is, who was being the accident? 

Thanks so much :) Good to see the Colonel is appealing to you even if he isn't the primary character.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Dr. John NYC said:

Well, you certainly got my heart beating faster first thing in the morning. Great follow up chapter: you gave us some more insight into the characters while raising even more questions that we now want answered--soon!  :2thumbs:

Good to see it's having the desired effect ;)

 

Anything you like in particular?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Excellent second chapter, Steve. You drew me further in while you set up a reasonable scenario. I like these characters, and your writing style is clean and easy to read. Well done, sir... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Headstall said:

Excellent second chapter, Steve. You drew me further in while you set up a reasonable scenario. I like these characters, and your writing style is clean and easy to read. Well done, sir... cheers... Gary....

Thanks Gary, glad you're enjoying it so far.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 30/09/2017 at 8:09 PM, mogwhy said:

oh my. heart in my hands. nicely done! 

Thanks Mog, glad to see you're enjoying in it ;)

Edited by SteveTrevor
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Really good, I'm glad I have the next chapter to go straight to. Means I don't have to wait to see what happens next :) 

 

:hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Caz Pedroso said:

Really good, I'm glad I have the next chapter to go straight to. Means I don't have to wait to see what happens next :) 

 

:hug: 

Thanks for the kind words :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/10/2017 at 8:24 PM, Timothy M. said:

I hope the Colonel learns to trust Cameron's instincts.

He's going to have to I think ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Foster said:

 I can see that the two men are going to be a great duo.  Thanks. 

Seems to be shaping up that way. A nice contrast in qualities; physical and personal between the two. Glad you seem to be enjoying it so far :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I can feel the need for a long shower coming on after all that drama. I'm sure the dust and adrenaline need to be washed off!:P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..