Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 3,157 Words
  • 1,385 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Distant Calls - 6. Chapter 6- A Worthwhile Connection

Warning: Frotting?

Words aren't the only way we talk to one another.

The memory of my grandfather's words resonated in my mind as Mrs. Kenari's car pulled up into a distantly familiar driveway.

But fear gets in the way of everything

Nervousness rose like a kaleidoscope of butterflies inside me.

I had no idea what kind of connections my adoptive mother had, but she had been granted permission to foster me for the two remaining months before I turned eighteen. After that, I was legally allowed to live where I wanted, and I chose to stay with the Kenaris.

During that entire time, our detective friends had searched high and low for my grandfather. As soon as she found out the details, Paulina bought plane tickets for all three of us. The next thing I knew, we landed on another continent.

I glanced up at Leo's warm amber eyes as he opened my door. When I took hold of the hand he offered, I felt calmer. Why was I so anxious and worried? Detectives Gyro and Kane had assured us that Grandpa Genbu was safe and sound.

Before my adoptive mom could so much as ring the doorbell, the front door was flung open. Though he was slimmer than I remembered and had a lot more white hair, I recognized him right away.

"Momo!"

"Ji-chan!"

Decorum was cast aside as we held each other in a tight hug and wept.

You have to push past that fear before you can make a worthwhile connection.

"You have a lot of your mother in you," Grandpa Genbu commented a while later as the four of us sat and drank tea together. "She was as strong as she was kind."

I felt my throat close up, but I forced myself to tell him. "Grandpa, dad, he…" I began, but he held a hand up to gently stop me in my tracks.

"My son is serving time due to his own actions," Grandpa Genbu responded. "He cast aside your mother's wishes and hid you from me...from your family." The elderly man did not raise his voice. But, the cup in his aged hands shook. That was the only hint of how he felt. "A part of me still feels I have failed as a father, to have raised such a selfish son."

"But, it wasn't your fault," I countered. "He was unwell. And on top of that, he got wrapped up in drugs. In the end, his decisions were his alone to make, not yours and not mine."

"Momoiro's a resilient and respectful young man despite how your son raised him," Mrs. Kenari pointed out. "So, don't think like that anymore. You did what you thought was right."

"I never stopped looking for you," Grandpa Genbu confessed.

"Goodness, grandpa, no wonder we couldn't find each other. We were on a whole other continent," I declared. "You'd have had to become a detective yourself to have found me, and even then, I imagine it was difficult for the detectives to have gotten this far."

"I was quite surprised with the smaller detective...I could look him right in the eye, he was so petite," the aged man teased.

"Seriously!" Leo piped in. "He's gotta be the smallest detective ever. Hey, Mr. Genbu, would you like to measure him with me next time?"

When the elderly man broke out into laughter, I felt my heart fill with joy. I felt a bit guilty, since it was all at the expense of the detective I admired so much. But, I couldn't remember the last time I heard my grandpa laugh. This was a new memory I wanted to cherish.

Mrs. Kenari had us stay in the living room as she spoke to my grandfather privately in the kitchen. I imagined that she was explaining my current living situation and my desire to live with her and her son. On the subject of Leo, my hand reached out to thread into his as if it were as normal as breathing.

"I have to admit that this is one of the best days I've ever had," I told him softly. "It made all the anxious waiting, the travel plans, and the long lines at the airport worth it."

"It was definitely worth meeting Grandpa Genbu in person," Leo agreed. "I really like him."

"I think he likes you, too."

Leo's face fell a bit. "You think mom's telling him about our soulmate bond?"

"If she doesn't, we can let him know bit by bit if you're frightened," I teased.

"What if he doesn't approve?"

"I'm finally eighteen," I responded as I tried not to feel so amused and superior over not worrying about anyone's approval. "Even here, I'm legally an adult. Why are you so worried? Shouldn't I be the one concerned about all that?"

"He's an important person in your life," Leo explained. "I just don't want him to view us in a bad light."

"Over something we ourselves never had any control over?" I shook my head and stood up, gently tugging on Leo's arm urging him to do the same. "Come on, let's get those worries of yours settled. Right now."

When we walked into the kitchen hand-in-hand, the conversation stopped. A proud smile formed on my adoptive mom's face and she motioned for us to go ahead. Had she truly already told my grandfather about it?

"Grandpa Genbu," I began. "I know this might feel sudden and strange...but, Leonard James Kenari and I are soulmates. Our paths crossed in the past and we've reunited again. I just want you to know how important it is for him to be in my life, and I in his."

Genbu the elder shared a glance with Mrs. Kenari before regarding us. "Momoiro Takiwa," he chided. "Having moved to a foreign land for love and allowed my son to do the same, do you think I am so close-minded that I wouldn't allow my grandson the same decency?"

To my surprise, it was Leo who rushed forward to hug the aged man first. Whispers were exchanged between them. Though I was curious, I didn't want to pry. The rest of our visit was equally as pleasant.

When it was time for us to head out, Grandpa Genbu took me aside.

"I promise I'll come see you every summer and as many holidays as I can," I affirmed, having assumed that it was what he wanted to talk about, but he shook his head.

"Momo, are you truly happy?" Grandpa Genbu questioned softly as he shot a glance towards Mrs. Kenari and Leo. "With your new family?"

"Yes, ji-chan," I whispered back. "I'm very happy."

"Then, this old man is satisfied," my grandfather replied. "Be sure to text or email me as often as you can."

"I will," I promised. We then gave each other one last tight hug.

:::

Nearly Two Years Later

::::

"Boys, I'm so proud of you!" Mom exclaimed as she squeezed us both into a tight hug. "Heavens, I should stop referring to you as boys. You're both young college men now." Despite her words, she fussed over our hairstyles and fixed our collars. "I'll miss you both so much…"

"We'll be home for every holiday, mom," Leo appeased.

He was right. I would make sure of it. All three of us had regularly gone to counseling together as a family. For one whole year, Leo and I saw our respective therapists at least once a month, twice if either of us ever felt overwhelmed. These days, we saw them once every few months. But, it was only because we had learned and put into practice what we needed to do in order to keep our minds as healthy as our bodies.

"We'll definitely come to see you for at least a weekend's worth or more each time," I affirmed as I handed her a tissue. There wasn't a single day I took for granted with my adoptive mother. Her supportive nature played a big part in Leo and I having received scholarships and being accepted to the college of our choice.

Seeing her so emotional had me getting all teary-eyed, too. Mom ruffled the top of my head and stood on the tips of her toes to press a kiss to my forehead. Both Leo and I had grown a few inches taller during our senior year; our final growth spurt. But, it was enough for our mother to have to reach upward. After giving the same affection to Leo, Paulina Kenari stepped out into the hallway of our dorm room.

"Don't forget to thank Kane and Gyro for their help," she concluded as she walked away. "And call me at least once every two weeks!"

"I will, mom!" I responded as I gave her a parting wave. Leo was terrible when it came to calling home. But, I wouldn't forget.

"Last several boxes!"

Leo and I moved out of the way as Kane rolled in a tower of boxes that he could barely even see past due to his small stature. I elbowed my partner on the side when he snickered at the sight, and mouthed 'behave.' The two of us had become close friends with the detectives. But, Leo and Kane were quick to banter. I had once asked Gyro if their arguments ever bothered him, but the older man said he couldn't be happier that Leo and Kane regressed to the maturity of elementary school children whenever we hung out together.

"Though we were raised as adopted siblings, we never treated each other that way," Gyro admitted, as if he read my thoughts. "Those two act as if they were blood brothers, with the way they try to annoy one another. It's really refreshing to see."

I shrugged in response. Bickering wasn't my cup of tea. Gyro and I were there to break things up if their fights became too intense, but if the teal-eyed man felt it was the root of camaraderie…

The peals of laughter drew our attention to our beloved ravenets.

"Remind me to never play baseball with you," Leo concluded in between gasps of breath.

"H-hey, I've actually improved since then," Kane objected. "Besides, I'd never do that to a friend."

"Only to a love rival!" Leo pointed out. "Thank goodness Gyro's never been my type."

"You take that back! Gyro is everyone's type," Kane huffed.

The wheat-blond in question shot me a familiar glance. It was time to intercede. I rushed over to take hold of Leo's hand and Gyro draped an arm around Kane's shoulders to draw his attention away. Our tactics worked.

"Seems as if you guys are all set," Gyro declared. "Remember to get as much rest as possible. It's not worth staying up too late, especially in years 3 and 4."

"We'll do our best," I replied. "Thank you both for everything!"

"Yes, thank you," Leo added. "Hopefully we'll see you sometime in the summer?"

"Maybe we can all go to the beach?" Kane suggested as he glanced up at Gyro.

"Agreed," the taller man conceded.

We exchanged a couple of friendly hugs, and then Leo and I were alone. My partner shuffled about the many pillows we brought over and leaned against them on his bed. I plopped down next to him when he motioned for me to sit beside him. A smile formed on my face when I felt the warmth of his arm around my shoulders.

"We don't have to unpack everything today," he suggested.

"No, but we did promise to meet up with Rick and Zoey for lunch," I reminded. Leo let out a groan and moved as if to stand back up, but I stopped him with a soft kiss. The confusion on his face caused me to snicker. "Wait here."

Rushing over to the bathroom, I brought back two damp washcloths, draping them over one of the headrest bars. I then uncapped a small container of astroglide in front of Leo's face. The blush that formed on my partner's face was priceless.

"We have enough time for a little fun, don't you think?" I prompted.

We removed and set our clothes aside with enthusiastic difficulties since we didn't want to stop making out once we began. The two of us had to get creative in the past to make sure we didn't flash our mother, so we had been exceedingly careful to not get too carried away under her roof. When we went out on dates, however, we made use of secluded and dark areas devoid of others.

Our little adventures were always rushed and rarely satisfied both of us. So, we were quite eager to make use of our dorm room and the privacy it provided...at least from prying eyes. We'd have to keep our voices down if we wanted to avoid being heard.

When I straddled a nude Leo, however, our noise levels couldn't be further from our minds. The amber-eyed man was lying on his back, and his hands slicked both of our shafts as I tried not to rock or grind against him. When he set the lubricant aside, I took hold of both our members and gave a few gentle thrusts so that both undersides glided against each other.

"Fuck," Leo hissed, drawing forth a smirk from my lips.

No, love, not quite...but, we'd eventually get there.

Leo's hands slid up my thighs and gripped them as I then stroked us both at a steady pace. Every now and then, I'd see Leo's lower abdomen tense as he thrusted up into my grip, and I felt his pleasure as my own. Our connection only synched up when the two of us were around the same level of desire. Sometimes, we matched up quickly. Other times, it took much longer.

"Ah, yes," I gasped as I thrusted a few more times.

At that moment, the two of us were definitely on the same page. I groaned and spilled myself after a few more strokes. Leo joined me at the peak three seconds afterward. Seeing and feeling him undulating beneath me always filled me with an additional surge of sensual pleasure. The two of us hadn't gotten much further past stroking one another and frotting, but I definitely looked forward to exploring more of one another during our four years of college.

::

We had plenty of time to clean up and change before heading out to meet with our best friends for lunch. Though they attended a different college, their campus was twenty minutes away. We agreed to meet up for lunch once a week at a spot in-between so that it would only take ten minutes each way on the commute.

"So, Leo…" Zoey began after the four of us ordered our meals. "When are you going to pop the question?"

I nearly choked while drinking my lemonade. Rick sent me a concerned glance and I waved a hand to let him know I was alright. He didn't look like he was entirely convinced I wouldn't choke to death.

"I know two years is a bit soon and all," the shameless woman continued. "But, you two are soulmates! If you already know you're not going anywhere, why not make it that official?"

"You...you just want to have an excuse to wear a party dress, don't you?" I questioned.

"Well, that too…" She admitted.

"How do you know I'm not the one waiting for Momo to propose?" Leo countered with a teasing grin.

"Out of the two of you, you're definitely the more romantic one," Zoey deduced.

"Hey!" I complained.

"If it makes you feel better, it's vice versa with us," Rick supplied.

"No, it does not make me feel better, it's like adding more salt to a wound," I responded while Leo broke out into laughter beside me.

"The point is that you both already know that's where you're heading," Zoey insisted. "So, why not plan sooner rather than later?"

"According to Kane and Gyro, we're not going to have enough hours in the day to sleep, let alone plan a wedding," Leo warned.

"Mm-hmm, 'sleep.' If that's what you want to call it…" She replied sarcastically.

That time, I was the one who ended up blushing.

::::

After we parted ways with our besties for the week, Leo suggested taking a walk through the park beside our campus. I couldn't agree more. Walking after a meal always felt great, especially on a sunny day. Being shielded from the heat by the trees was a bonus.

"As much as Zoey has her own agenda," Leo mused aloud as we walked hand in hand. "I really am looking forward to marrying you someday."

"We've already lived together for two years, so it's not like we don't already know what to expect," I taunted. "But, yeah...I'm not against that idea, either."

"Do you think Gyro and Kane will ever wed?"

"With the way they act around each other, you'd think they've been married for at least a decade. I wonder what's stopping them."

"Kane did mention something about his focus being on a complicated case," Leo recounted. "I just hope they're always careful."

"Mmm," I agreed. "The downside to having detective friends is worrying about their safety."

"On the subject of safety," Leo commented. "Do you think Prince Raemka and Nevis would have ever settled down had they been in a safer place?"

"I like to think they'd have eloped and run off to a peaceful little town," I responded. "I never thought I'd say this, but I actually miss seeing them in my dreams."

"Same."

Our chatter quieted down as we took in the colors of the fall leaves. The breeze that occasionally swept over us carried the slightest hints of the upcoming colder weather. I felt a gentle squeeze at our joined hands and I glanced over at my partner. His smile made my heart skip a beat, and I knew what he'd do just before he did it.

I closed my eyes as our lips pressed against each other. The kiss was gentle, but intimate. It brought to mind the first kiss the two of us shared, and the memory felt like it had been much longer than just two years ago.

As the sun filtered through the trees above, our shadows cast on the ground seemed to extend. Leo followed my gaze and gave a slight gasp as he noticed the same image that I did. At that particular angle of sunlight, our shadows looked very much like the silhouette of an Egyptian prince and his beloved tutor.

Raemka and Nevis were never truly gone. We were simply continuing their story...as ourselves. When Leo and I locked gazes once more, it was I who gave him a kiss in return. A memory rose to the front of my mind of something a younger Leo had promised.

We'll figure this out. We'll get past the fear; together.

END

Copyright © 2021 Thirdly, Toma; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I so enjoyed this story.  Their shadows looking like the silhouette of Raemka and Nevis, made for a perfect ending.

Thirdly, thank you for sharing this story with us!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Gregory said:

I so enjoyed this story.  Their shadows looking like the silhouette of Raemka and Nevis, made for a perfect ending.

Thirdly, thank you for sharing this story with us!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We will see them again in a reverse cameo in Kane and Gyro's story.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Mancunian said:

A beautiful end to a beautiful story, thank you.

I'm very glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for giving it a chance.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Just a quick note to let you know how much I truly enjoyed this, an exceptional plot, well conceived and executed. An engaging cast of characters and enough tension to keep you on the edge of your seat!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Just a quick note to let you know how much I truly enjoyed this, an exceptional plot, well conceived and executed. An engaging cast of characters and enough tension to keep you on the edge of your seat!!

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I still have a lot to improve on, but I keep getting closer with each story. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..