Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 3,250 Words
  • 3,138 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 - Fall - Scars Entry

Lawyer or Mechanic? - 1. Chapter 1

Elliot jumped when he felt a pair of arms snake around his waist and squeeze him tightly, narrowly missing the open cabinet door.

“Hey, hun.”

Elliot spun around and smacked Max on his chest. “You scared the shit out of me! I have enough scars from whacking my head on the hood of my car when Pete used to sneak up on me. I don’t need to add any more!”

He rubbed the back of his head. Max replaced Elliot’s hand with his own and drew him close, kissing his forehead.

“Sorry, babe. I thought you heard me come in,” Max said, chagrined.

Elliot burrowed deeper into the larger man’s embrace and tilted his head up for a kiss. “Apology accepted,” he murmured into Max’s lips.

Max deepened the kiss and Elliot opened his mouth to allow access to his boyfriend’s tongue. Elliot broke the kiss far too soon for either of their tastes.

“Dinner’s going to burn if you keep kissing me like that.”

Max smacked Elliot on the ass and leered. “That’s not the only thing burning.”

Elliot batted his hand away and turned to the stove. “Horn dog.”

“You know the effect you have on me, babe.”

Elliot smiled as he stirred the vegetables. “I know.”

“How’d the interview go?”

Elliot shook his head. “Not well, I’m afraid. Pete’s dad has pretty much destroyed my reputation. No one wants to hire me.”

“He’s an even bigger asshole than I thought. We’ll be ok, babe. The garage is making enough money to support us. I know it’s not the lifestyle you’re used to, but –“

“Don’t, Max. You know I’m not like that.”

“I know. I just worry sometimes that I can’t provide for you the way you’re used to.”

“First of all, you don’t need to provide for me. I still have some money in savings. Secondly, the mansion and trimmings were all Pete. You know that, Max. I’m a no frills guy, just like you.”

“But you’re not just like me. You’re smart and gorgeous and sometimes I wonder what you’re doing with a guy like me.”

Elliot frowned. “I hate it when you talk like that. You’re smart. Look at how successful the garage is.” He embraced Max, sliding his hands down his back and pulling their hips close. “You’re also sexy as hell. I think I got the better end of the deal here.”

Max laughed and kissed the top of Elliot’s head. “Let’s agree to disagree on that one. How long before dinner’s ready?”

Elliot turned back to the stove. “About a half hour.”

“Ok. I’m going to go get cleaned up.”

Elliot put a lid on the veggies and popped the chicken into the oven. He went into the living room and sat on the couch. He turned the TV to the evening news, but his thoughts were elsewhere. They’d been in the house for about a month and Elliot was eager to start renovations and make the place ‘theirs’. He was hesitant to do so while he was unemployed, though. The last thing he needed was to run out of money in the middle of a big project. His savings had dwindled significantly after purchasing the garage and putting the down payment on the house. He was using the remainder to pay his half of the living expenses and didn’t want to drain it faster than necessary.

He’d been unemployed since walking out of his previous job and the lack of income was starting to weigh on him. He didn’t miss his old job, but he did miss being a lawyer. He’d been an ad hoc employee of Max’s for a while; he helped out with simple repairs and routine maintenance. He realized that there was a difference between having a vocation and an avocation; he wasn’t sure if he wanted his to be the same. It bothered him more than he let on that he couldn’t find work as a lawyer. He truly did love the law, even if there were some unsavory aspects he was happy to put behind him. On the other hand, he also enjoyed spending his days at the garage with Max.

He lay back on the couch, grabbed a pillow and held it close to his chest. The past year and a half felt almost like a fairy tale to Elliot. He hadn’t expected Max to forgive him after he betrayed his friendship by almost costing him his business, and he certainly hadn’t expected to start dating the burly mechanic shortly after. He laughed, remembering the look of horror on Pete’s face when he found out that Elliot was dating Max. God forbid any of his snobby acquaintances found out that his ex was dating a man with tattoos.

The timer on the oven beeped, signaling that the chicken was done. Still snickering, Elliot went into the kitchen to finish preparing dinner for his hunk of a boyfriend.

*****

Elliot burrowed contentedly into Max’s side and played absently with a patch of dark chest hair. Max’s breathing was still a bit ragged, but was starting to even out. Max inhaled deeply and then exhaled with a sigh. He kissed Elliot on the top of his head, squeezing him close. “I love you so much, El.”

Elliot smiled into Max’s chest and kissed his hairy tummy. “I love you too, Max.”

Elliot hated to intrude on their post-coital bliss, but figured this would be the perfect time to broach the subject he was dreading talking about. “Babe?”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t make any plans for next Friday, ok?”

“Ok. Why not? Do you have something special planned?”

Elliot squirmed uncomfortably.

“What’s going on, babe?” Max lifted Elliot’s chin and looked into his eyes. Elliot wouldn’t meet his gaze.

“Well… I had an idea about how to get my name out there again and network for a possible job. I received my invitation to the local lawyers’ guild’s annual gala next Friday night and all the big players will be there…”

Max sat up. “Oh, no! No way! You are NOT dragging me to one of those god-awful things! I thought you hated going to them? Why the hell would you want to subject both of us to that hell?”

“I need to get my name back out there in a positive light. It’s the only way I can think of to get a job.”

“I thought you liked working in the shop.”

Elliot sighed and hugged Max tightly. “I love being there and being with you… I’m just not sure I want it to be my full-time job.”

Max stood up and headed for the bathroom, shaking his head. “I knew this was too good to be true.”

Elliot watched Max walk out of the room, crestfallen. Max returned a minute later and sat on the bed, his back to Elliot. Elliot shakily put his hand on Max’s back and felt the other man stiffen.

“Max?”

“I thought you were happy here.”

“I am very happy here. This doesn’t change anything between us. I’m sorry I suggested it. Forget I asked.”

“Why do you want to go back to that world? You keep saying it was all Pete. Well, there has to be a part of you that enjoyed it, too, or else you wouldn’t have stayed with him for so long.”

“Not everyone is like Pete or his dad. I like being a lawyer, Max. I like being a mechanic, too. I’m really torn, sweetheart.”

Max turned to Elliot and slid under the covers. He pulled the smaller man close to him and kissed him. Elliot returned the kiss, showing Max just how deeply his feelings for him ran.

“Let’s talk about it in the morning.”

Elliot nodded. He was almost asleep when he heard Max mutter, “I’ll go.”

“Are you sure? I’m sorry I asked, Max. I didn’t realize how strongly you felt.”

“I’m sure, babe. I’ll go. Now let’s get some sleep.”

*****

Elliot looked in the mirror and twirled around. He was glad that his tux still fit and he hadn’t had to rent one. His physique had changed since he’d been working in the garage. He was still lean, but had toned up considerably. Renting the tux for Max had been quite an ordeal. The rough and ready mechanic owned one suit that he bought for a friend’s wedding almost ten years ago and was hardly appropriate for a black-tie gala. Elliot grimaced as he remembered the fight they had when Max tried to pay for the rental. He thought for sure they were going to get kicked out of the store, but there was no way he was going to let Max fork over any money for indulging Elliot.

Max walked into the bedroom with an exasperated sigh. He held up the bowtie in defeat. “I have no idea how to tie this stupid thing.” He paused. “El?”

Elliot stood staring at Max, mouth open. “Wow… sweetheart… you look amazing!” He took the bowtie from Max’s hands and put it around his neck. He smiled sensually as he tied it with ease, then ran his hands along Max’s cheeks. He pulled him close and kissed him. “Thank you.”

Max grunted. “You can thank me after.”

*****

The parking attendant looked at Max disdainfully when he handed over the keys to Elliot’s BMW. Max sighed. He was expecting such looks from the guests, not the staff. This was going to be worse than he thought. Elliot slipped his arm through Max’s. “Ready?”

“As I’ll ever be,” Max muttered.

“I’ll make it up to you, I swear.”

Max let out a low whistle when they entered the hotel lobby. “This ain’t no Best Western, that’s for sure!”

Elliot laughed. “No, it definitely isn’t.”

He handed their invitation to the concierge as they entered the ballroom. The man looked at Max dubiously, then cleared his throat and said in a loud, clear voice, “Mr. Elliot Conners and Mr. Maximillian Simmons.”

The room went silent and the guests stared as Elliot and Max descended the stairs to join the throng of exquisitely dressed attendees.

“Maximillian?” Max raised an eyebrow at Elliot.

Elliot turned red. “Sorry…It’s just so formal here I thought—“

“That my name wasn’t good enough?”

“I’m sorry, Max. I didn’t mean it that way.”

A waiter with a tray of champagne flutes stopped before them. Elliot took one and sipped it delicately.

“What do you have on tap?”

“Sir?”

“I’m not much of a champagne guy. What do you guys have on tap?”

“If sir would like a beer, might I suggest that the biker bar off Route 17 might be more to sir’s taste?”

Elliot scowled at the waiter and snatched another flute from the tray before turning his back to the rude man. He handed it to Max. “They don’t serve beer here.”

Max look mortified. “I’m sorry, El. I’m just not used to such fancy things.”

Elliot kissed him on the cheek. “Don’t apologize. Let’s mingle and try to get through this.”

Max nodded and downed his champagne in one giant gulp. Elliot walked over to an older couple.

“Mr. and Mrs. Crawford, it’s so nice to see you again. I’d like you to meet my partner, Max.”

Mr. Crawford looked past Elliot. “There’s Mr. Ashford. I have important business I need to discuss with him. Excuse me, Conners.” He brushed past Elliot with a derisive look at Max, Mrs. Crawford in tow.

Elliot looked at Max apologetically. Max shrugged and grabbed another champagne flute off a passing waiter’s tray.

Elliot and Max received the same cool reception every time they tried to mingle. Elliot knew that the night was not going to be easy, but he was starting to regret ever having the idea in the first place.

“I never thought you’d have the nerve to show up at one of these functions again. You’ve sown quite the reputation since you screwed my dad over.”

“Nice to see you, too, Pete. Oh wait… no it isn’t.”

“Isn’t ten grand a plate a bit much on a grease monkey’s salary?”

Max sprayed the sip of champagne he just took all over a passerby. “Ten grand a plate?!”

Elliot glowered at Pete.

Pete laughed derisively. “Oh! You didn’t know? That doesn’t even count the additional donations that are expected. Jackson and I are donating an additional fifty grand. It’s for a good cause, you know.”

“Jackson?”

“My new boyfriend. He appreciates the finer things in life.” He looked over Max. “Unlike some people.”

Max raised his arm. “I’ll show you what I appreciate…”

Elliot put his hand on Max’s arm. “He’s not worth it, babe.”

Pete laughed. “Tame your gorilla, Elliot. I have people to see.” He walked away from the seething couple.

Elliot took Max’s hand and led him outside to the veranda. It was a cool night, so they were the only ones out there. Elliot wrapped his arms around Max and pulled him close. He slipped his hand behind Max’s neck and pulled him down for a kiss.

“I’m so sorry, Max. This was a horrible idea. I don’t belong here. We don’t belong here. Let’s go home. We can pick up a 12-pack on the way.”

“That’s the best idea I’ve heard all night.” He paused. “Did you really pay twenty grand for us to be here?”

Elliot looked at the ground and scuffed his feet. “I cashed in a CD that was maturing. I really thought that I’d be able to repair some of the damage that Pete’s dad did. I guess I was wrong.”

Max held Elliot tightly. “They’re fools. What’s the charity this shindig is supposed to benefit?”

“AIDS research.”

“Well, at least it’s all going to a good cause. C’mon. It looks like they’re seating everyone for dinner. I’d like to know what ten thousand dollar food tastes like.”

“Are you sure? We can just go home. I know you didn’t want to be here in the first place.”

“We’ll leave right after dinner.”

“I love you, Max.”

“Don’t you ever forget it. You owe me big time, babe.”

They walked over to their assigned table. The lady that Max sat next to scooted her chair closer to her husband, who looked at him in contempt.

Elliot held his hand out to the man he sat next to. “I’m Elliot Conners and this is my partner, Max Simmons.”

The man smiled and held out his hand. “Ed Flaherty and my wife Gloria. I heard what you did to the Sellers firm.” He took a sip of wine.

Elliot grimaced. Ed laughed. “Now don’t look so mortified. It’s about time someone stuck it to that pompous ass.”

Elliot breathed a sigh of relief and grinned.

“I hear you’re still looking for work.”

Elliot nodded.

“I’m sorry to say that we just hired a new partner, or else I’d be more than happy to have you join our firm. You should send me your resume though, so we have it on file.”

“I’ll do that, thanks so much.”

Max squeezed Elliot’s leg under the table. The smile on Elliot’s face almost made up for all the crap that they’d put up with so far that night. The rest of the evening was uneventful. The five-course dinner was good, but not worth ten grand, in Max’s opinion.

*****

The bell to the garage chimed and Elliot slid out from underneath the car he was working on. He wiped his hands on a towel and stood up to greet the customer. “How can I help you?”

“I’m looking for Max Simmons.” The well-dressed man shifted his feet nervously.

“He’s out picking up our lunch. He should be back any minute. Is there anything I can help you with? I’m his partner, Elliot Conners.”

The man frowned. “Elliot Conners…” he muttered. He shuffled through some papers in his hands and his eyes widened. “Sorry…I think I’ve come to the wrong place.” He turned around abruptly and ran right into Max, spilling the drinks Max was carrying all over them both and dropping his papers.

“Shit!” Max swore.

“I…I…I…I’m sorry! I’m leaving right now!” The man tried to scoop up his pop-soaked papers, but Max beat him to it.

Max scowled when he saw the letterhead and his name underneath it. “What the hell is this? Who are you and why are you here?”

The man cowered and paled in the face of the big man’s ire. “Coming here was a mistake. I’m sorry for disturbing you both.” He looked furtively in Elliot’s direction.

“Wait… Elliot, check this shit out. It looks like legal stuff.”

Elliot narrowed his eyes at the man in the suit and took the papers from Max. “These are just copies of the case you won. There’s nothing new. Why do you have these?”

“I’m being sued by the same firm. When I researched their cases, yours was the only one I found where they lost. I just wanted to find out why. Maybe it can help me win, too.”

“The reason I won is standing right here.” Max gestured to Elliot.

“I’m confused… didn’t you say your name was Elliot Conners?”

“Yes.”

“Your name is all over these documents as part of the plaintiffs, not the defendants. In fact, your name seemed to be fairly prominent in quite a few of the cases that I read.”

Elliot looked down. “I don’t work for them anymore.”

“C’mon. Let’s go into the office and talk about this.” Max gestured to the back of the shop.

They sat around a small table and Max handed Elliot his burger and fries. “I hope you don’t mind,” he said around a mouthful of burger. “I’m starving.”

“Of course not.”

“Why don’t you tell us what’s going on?” Elliot prompted.

“Well… I own a small advertising company and about a month ago I was served court papers citing copyright infringement. If I lose, the fines will put me out of business. This business has been in my family for three generations! I can’t lose it! It’s my whole life and I—“ The man put his head in his hands and cried softly.

Max looked at him sympathetically. He knew exactly how the man felt. He was devastated when he was served papers threatening to take his business away a year and a half ago. It crushed him to find out that unbeknownst to either of them, Elliot was the brains behind the lawsuit. It was an airtight case until Elliot realized that it was Max he was attempting to put out of business. That prompted him to finally quit the job he hated. He stuck it to the firm big time when he bought Max’s Garage out from underneath them and provided Max with the ammunition he needed to win the case.

Elliot shuffled through more of the man’s papers until he found the paperwork outlining the case against him. He snorted derisively. “This is a common tactic they use. It should be fairly easy to get around, as long as you can cite the right cases in rebuttal.”

The man looked at Elliot hopefully. “You said you don’t work for them anymore?”

“Elliot is the reason I won my case.” Max said softly.

“Are you accepting new clients? I’d love to have you on my side.”

Max reached across the table and took Elliot’s hand. “I guess there’s work for you as a lawyer, after all.”

Thanks for reading! I had so many requests for more of these guys I had to write another story about them. I hope you enjoyed it! :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 - Fall - Scars Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great story, Val! :)

 

I loved reading about these guys!

 

I can't believe those people at the gala were such snobs! Luckily there was one person there who wasn't.

 

And Elliot wound up getting a nice client to represent. :)

 

Great story, Val! :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I loved the first story and it's nice to see Max and El again, doing well together. I hope El makes a career out of defeating Pete and his dad, it would be such a wonderful revenge.

Edited by Timothy M.
Link to comment

Oh wow, I'm really chuft you decided to carry this story on.

I remember when I first read about Max and Elliot I wanted to know so much more, and know we do.

OMG

I want the next instalment now. Does Elliot stick it to Pete and his father once more???? Does he, Does he, Does he?

:D

Love it Valkyrie, keep it going. Pretty please. :) xx

Link to comment

I really enjoyed reading about Max and Elliot and was so happy to see them again. Poor guys never seem to get it just the way they want it. Glad Elliot was able to be honest with Max about not fitting in as he hoped to. Max rose to the occasion and the two really are a great couple. Hope to see Elliot use his skills to get even with his boring ex and horrid ex father in law. Wonderful read.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/12/2014 04:56 AM, Lisa said:
Great story, Val! :)

 

I loved reading about these guys!

 

I can't believe those people at the gala were such snobs! Luckily there was one person there who wasn't.

 

And Elliot wound up getting a nice client to represent. :)

 

Great story, Val! :P

Thanks, Lisa! The story was definitely improved with your input. :) I'm glad you liked it.:)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/12/2014 05:12 AM, Timothy M. said:
I loved the first story and it's nice to see Max and El again, doing well together. I hope El makes a career out of defeating Pete nad his dad, it would be such a wonderful revenge.
That would be wonderful revenge, wouldn't it? :P We'll see what the future holds... I'm glad you liked both stories. Thanks for reading and reviewing! :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/12/2014 10:38 AM, Yettie One said:
Oh wow, I'm really chuft you decided to carry this story on.

I remember when I first read about Max and Elliot I wanted to know so much more, and know we do.

OMG

I want the next instalment now. Does Elliot stick it to Pete and his father once more???? Does he, Does he, Does he?

:D

Love it Valkyrie, keep it going. Pretty please. :) xx

Thanks, Yettie.:) I'm so glad I decided to continue the story. I kind of snuck it in last minute! :P You never know what the future holds... I'm sure Elliot would like nothing more than to make a career out of sticking to Pete and his dad! Thanks so much for reading and reviewing. Reviews like this make my day. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/12/2014 02:51 PM, comicfan said:
I really enjoyed reading about Max and Elliot and was so happy to see them again. Poor guys never seem to get it just the way they want it. Glad Elliot was able to be honest with Max about not fitting in as he hoped to. Max rose to the occasion and the two really are a great couple. Hope to see Elliot use his skills to get even with his boring ex and horrid ex father in law. Wonderful read.
Thanks so much, Wayne. :) I'm so glad you like these guys and I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/13/2014 01:05 AM, joann414 said:
REvenge is so sweet :evil:
Indeed... mwahahahahahahahaha!!!! :devil:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

El to the rescue!!!! I love this next episode in Max and Elliott's life. Stick it to the movers and shakers I say! Hahaha!!! Great job and the surprise at the end was awesome. Great job Val. Thanks for sharing this. :)

Link to comment

Loved It ! Great story...I have to go back and reread the first one now lol. Revenge is best served cold and these two as a couple are perfect.Thanks and cheers,,,Gary

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/14/2014 05:58 AM, Cole Matthews said:
El to the rescue!!!! I love this next episode in Max and Elliott's life. Stick it to the movers and shakers I say! Hahaha!!! Great job and the surprise at the end was awesome. Great job Val. Thanks for sharing this. :)
Thanks for reading, Cole. :) I'm glad you liked the next chapter in Elliot and Max's lives. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/14/2014 08:19 AM, Headstall said:
Loved It ! Great story...I have to go back and reread the first one now lol. Revenge is best served cold and these two as a couple are perfect.Thanks and cheers,,,Gary
Thanks, Gary. :) I'm so glad I revisited these guys! Thanks for the review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/21/2014 12:19 AM, Suvitar said:
Lovely story! I hope there´ll be more stories about Max and Elliot :read:
You never know... you just may see more of these guys...;) I'm glad you liked it. :) Thanks for leaving a review!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/06/2016 05:34 AM, Geron Kees said:

More good stuff! Four of them? I'm off...!

:D Thanks for reading!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..