Jump to content
    VVesley
  • Author
  • 3,070 Words
  • 3,521 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alliance - 9. Chapter 9

Carlin sat in Alexandre’s private training courtyard, lonely and bored. It had been three days since he had shared a kiss with his master, and the younger man had not trained with him since. I should never have kissed him. Carlin had spent every day mulling over why he had been so impulsive, and frowning at the complications that came with potential involvement with Alex. Life can be so obnoxious… of course it was the son of Darion Di Coteau that I kissed. He supposed it wouldn’t be his life if it weren’t complicated, though. Pulling strands of grass loose from the black Nabian earth and letting them go in the wind, Carlin leaned back to rest on his elbows and absorb rays of sun. Wearing only a pair of rough spun black pants, Carlin’s body was on magnificent display to the sky and Nabian sun, which highlighted every distinct line along his chiseled torso. It was a nice day, and there was no point to suiting up for a master that likely wouldn’t arrive. Sighing, he wished he had some way of contacting the boy so that he could apologize or explain. Thinking about perhaps risking his life and sneaking into the main house and Alexandre’s quarters, he realized he wouldn’t know what to say upon arrival anyway.

Alexandre was problematic for Carlin in two ways. Firstly, he was Nabian. Though Alex admittedly seemed a bit more tolerable than most Nabians Carlin had met, he still bore their trademark traits. He was dangerous, merciless, and valued power. Carlin knew that the young Di Coteau was nowhere near as greedy or selfish as most in the country, but his upbringing had been so fundamentally different from Carlin’s. In Tomacia, ambition and having the skill to back yourself up in a fight were valuable, but in a different way. Tomacians tended to think of themselves as compassionate, but just. In the three-nation continent, Carlin thought that Tomacia was perfectly balanced. They had the capabilities for war and serving justice like Nabius, but also the kindness and happy society that Ironia boasted. As Carlin had found out through previous conversations with Alex, they also had radically different opinions on how power should be distributed within a society. Both agreed that Ironia’s system of regional kings was foolish, but they also advocated for their own counties’ systems of government. In Nabius, those who were strong enough to take power had power. Alex felt that this was good for the people as a whole, considering that nobody could ever be entirely squashed or held down by the government unless they were obscenely weak or a slave. Even then, slaves had yearly chances to earn their freedom and positions of power in the yearly war games. Carlin, on the other hand, believed in a more streamlined approach. Tomacia had regional leadership as well, but they were all united under the high king and his council of advisors. The provincial rulers reported to this group and carried out their wishes, and Carlin felt that this was effective as well as balanced. Among their other minor disagreements like ale versus wine, the two men had found that this was one of their greatest points of contention.

Secondly, Alex was a male. Though no country frowned upon male-male or female-female relationships or marriages by any means, they were still viewed as less effective. Nabians agreed that male-male couples often made some of the strongest couples – and therefore, the best ones – and were always accepted. Their downfall in the eyes of Nabian society, however, was that they didn’t always result in children. Tomacians held a similar view, and thought that children were especially important considering that bloodlines often determined one’s place in society. Alexandre’s gender also bore personal problems for Carlin. Though he had always noticed which men were attractive and which were not, he had never thought himself even being remotely pulled towards the same sex. Alex was simply different, and he brought out all of Carlin’s emotions. He knew that Alexandre was not cruel at heart, and saw through the mask of cold fury the boy always wore. In reality, Alexandre had had little company for the majority of his life save his family. Darion was by no means fatherly, and Talia… Talia was a bit violent for Carlin’s taste. Carlin knew that she actually was probably just as good a person as her brother deep down, but he still felt she could use a few hobbies that didn’t involve sharp objects. And Madame Ysabel… Carlin knew very little of what she was like, but had heard stories about the Di Coteau Demon that had made his blood freeze in his veins. The woman was supposedly incredibly dangerous and mercurial, and Carlin couldn’t imagine that having her as a mother when he thought of his own gentle one. Carlin was starting to get over the fact that the object of his desires was another male, and couldn’t help feeling even more drawn to the boy when he thought about what his life was like. I want to be there for him, and give him someone that he enjoys besides his sister. I can make him smile, I’ve done it before and he deserves it. Lost in thought, Carlin had pulled a small circular patch of grass completely clean out of the ground.

“I’d appreciate it if you would stop defiling my courtyard, slave.”

Carlin’s heart started, and he looked up to find a staring Alex, whose eyebrows were angled downwards as per usual. He blanched. “Alex…”

“You forget your place. Nicknames and informality are not reflective of our differing classes, and they will cease immediately. Suit up and prepare to fight me.”

Carlin was still a little dazed, but had realized that Alexandre was in no mood to be trifled with. Very well, he thought with narrowed eyes. I suppose that’s how it’s going to be. Carlin tried to suppress his anger at Alexandre’s going cold on him when he spoke, but failed miserably when he squeezed out his words. He tried to harden his heart, but was internally reeling from the sting of rejection.

“Yes, Master.”

***

Luca released the breath he had been holding and was washed over in relief, but still shook and was on the verge of tears from nerves. The first weekly loser in the brothel had just been determined and found, and it hadn’t been Luca or Jack. This was evidenced from the screams down the hall, which weren’t male or youthful. Most of the whores in the house had expected Rosalynn to go first, considering that her business only boomed when the young sons of counts and lords and soldiers were in town for the war games that were now over. The majority opinion had been right, and Meko was now in Rosalynn's room.

Of course, Luca knew that he would be safe for some time. He had done fairly well that week, and was likely the most beautiful boy in the establishment. He was constantly sought out by patrons, and Count Gorget had been paying well for he and Jack together on a consistent basis. Luca was unaware of how Jack had been doing excluding with the count, however, and knew that the boy had high risk because he was knew. It took a while to establish relationships with consistent patrons, and he hadn’t gotten much exposure.

Eyeing the loose floorboard where he had stored his ebony knife, Luca tried to ignore the screams from the older woman who was being violently beaten down the hall. He knew that unless she miraculously started bringing in coin at whichever brothel she would now find herself, Rosalynn would die. She was too old to be of any value, and did not have any skills other than bed warming. Were she to be tossed into the streets, there would be no chance for her.

He was surprised to be drawn out of his thoughts at using the knife and taking his destiny into his own hands by the sound of a sniffle and creaking door. His eyes moved from the floorboard to the door, seeing exactly what they had expected. Jack. The young boy was clearly terrified, and Luca knew it was probably taking all of his willpower not to bust him into sobs. At the command of a soft beckon, Jack walked across the room to join Luca in bed. Luca reached around him and gave a reassuring squeeze, and the two nestled under the covers. Luca could feel the boy violently quaking, and did his best to try to comfort his friend.

“Its okay. Its not you, and it won’t be. Have you been pleasing your men like you’re supposed to?” Jacks voice sounded weak and on the verge of breakdown when he replied, and Luca knew that his friend was in agony.

“Yes. But sometimes, the men hurt me and I start to cry. I can’t help it, but they look at me with disgust and don’t want me to come again…” Jack trailed off, and Luca knew his eyes were welling.

Luca sighed. He could do everything in his power to ensure that Jack had customers, but couldn’t make them like the boy no matter how hard he tried. He wanted to be sympathetic, but that would not help avoid a beating, possible death, or removal from the main brothel. “Jack. You have to hold it in, no matter what. Bite a pillow if you have to, but you must hold their attentions. Do you hear Rosalynn?” Jack nodded. “That could be us, and I don’t want to see you get hurt. I told you that I wouldn’t let anything happen to you, but I need you to help out just a little, okay? Do you think you could do that?” Jack nodded again, but it was weak and Luca doubted his resolve.

Shit, he thought. The two boys held onto each other and quietly slipped into dreams of the Ironian countryside while they listened to the pained screams of Rosalynn just down the hall.

***

Just streets away from Meko’s main brothel in the capitol, Jezebel Di Coteau paced around her room, looking down at the intricate grey and red pattern of an expensive Ironian rug. It was one large woven image of a battle scene, and Jezebel paused when she noticed that one warrior on a horse looked a bit like Alexandre. She bit her lip, and made her decision.

Jezebel walked out of her room, and turned down a hall to arrive at the door of her father’s makeshift office. It was the last week she and her general father would be spending in the capitol, now that whatever business the general had needed to take care of was complete. She put a look of strength on her face, and walked through the doors to see the huge figure of General Damien hunched over a rather tiny desk. She noticed that the small desk made him look bigger by comparison, and that probably intimidated his visitors that much more.

“Jezebel, dear. What is it?” The general’s words were always spoken slowly and surely, and his tone was absolutely devoid of any emotion.

“I have been thinking father. After seeing Alexandre a few weeks ago in the games, I thought it might be time for a visit. After all, he is still the talk of the town.“ This was true, and it had annoyed Jezebel to no end. The lady assassin spoke similarly to her father, though she had always laced her words with sultry seduction. “I thought I could perhaps… learn something from him, and it would be good to reinforce our bond with that side of the family.” The general folded his hands on his desk, and gave her an appraising look. Much like his brother and nephew, Damien Di Coteau had tar black hair and eyes, contrasted with a fair complexion. He was the spitting image of his older brother, and was just as large in terms of muscle mass. He probably knew that Jezebel just wanted to keep an eye on her competition while they both trained, but she didn’t care if he did. After a long while, he spoke.

“I think that is an excellent idea, Jezebel.” The girl smiled sweetly at her father. “Talia also will be graduating the academy soon. It would be good for you to go at that time, so you may bring our congratulations with you.” Talia, she thought. More competition. Talia and Jezebel had never gotten along, even as children. Talia was a few years younger than her cousin, but had always seemed to stay right on pace with the older girl’s abilities when they trained. Jealous of her skill and annoyed by the potential rivalry, Jezebel had always pushed Talia away.

“Absolutely, father. I would be happy to congratulate my dear cousin.” I hope she dies on her first mission after graduation. “Should I stop by Madame Ysabel’s and see if she would like to send anything along with me?”

Damien stilled, and seemed to give the notion thought. With a slight frown, he gave in. “I suppose that would be alright. Just… take guards with you when you do. You know how your aunt can get when it comes to hearing about her children.”

But Aunt Ysabel would never do anything to me, father…. she has always liked me. We are more similar than you know. “Of course. I'll keep a look out for any potential recruits from Mullansburg as well. As is custom, there should be a draft post-graduation. Goodnight.” Jezebel walked out of the office, and saw the general return to a paper out of the corner of her eye. With her hips moving in a seductive slide and high black ponytail swaying back and forth, she padded down the hall and began preparations.

***

Well fuck you too, Carlin thought as he continued to fight with Alex. Alexandre had been slashing and cutting away at Carlin in a way that said he was angry with the slave, and Carlin had truthfully been irritated and slightly hurt that the response to his kiss had been this. How could you be so cold? We had just gotten to be friends, Alex. Fighting back with renewed frustration, Carlin reflected on the truth of that statement. Carlin had recently convinced his master to go out drinking with him and Mikhail, and the general’s son had actually done it. He had looked happy, and Carlin had no doubt that the semblance of friendship was working wonders on the teen’s temperament. He had even taken to stopping by and talking to the blacksmith’s son and training slave when they were at the shop, and he wasn’t in need of training. That was more than he had done in years, and Carlin didn’t understand how the man of his affections had shifted back to his old self so rapidly after the event. While steel clashed and the two practiced a variety of stances, Carlin decided that he would not give Alex the satisfaction of a win. Knowing that there were few things on the battlefield that could startle his opponent, Carlin thought of a near-evil plan that would give him both revenge and a win.

When Alexandre sidestepped a downward slash, Carlin got him into the perfect position. Alex had backed up against the fountain, and was slightly off balance in his footing. Carlin knew that Alex would correct it while moving and swinging one of his swords, and prepared with a well-timed outreach. Dropping one hand from his broadsword, Carlin reached out and grabbed Alexandre’s wrist that had begun to swing. The two stopped, struggling, and Carlin pushed his head forward into Alex’s in a sloppy imitation of a kiss. Alex was obviously surprised, and his lips opened in a small gesture of shock. He was frozen, and hardly moved while the battle and this kiss waged war in his mind. This was the moment Carlin had been waiting for, and he took his revenge in full force.

Using the flat side of his huge blade, Carlin swung at Alexandre’s chest with impressive strength. The blade made contact, and Alex let out a soft oomph when it hit him dead on. The force of the blow had been so hard that both of Alexandre’s feet had left the ground, and it sent him sprawling over the edge of the fountain to land on his butt in a shallow pool of water. Time stilled, and the two men became statues locked in an eternal battle of wills. Eye contact did not break, until Alex stood and gave a look of pure fury. Oh shit. Why did I do that? He’s going to kill me, literally. Oh gods, why did I have to do that?! Carlin’s grip on his weapon tightened, and he mentally prepared to have to fight for his life.

“You win,” a quiet voice said. Carlin refocused on Alexandre’s face, and saw that the anger had passed. He now looked into a pair of curious black eyes, which showed Alex was having some kind of internal battle. Unsure of what to do or say, Carlin remained still. “It was a good victory,” Alex continued.

Carlin wasn’t sure what was about to come next, but he certainly did not expect the soft peck of a kiss that Alex gave him after he had gotten out of the fountain. What just happened? Carlin’s hand had loosened to where he dropped his blade, and looked deeply into Alexandre’s eyes. He hoped that whatever Alex was doing, it wasn’t a trick. Luckily for him it wasn’t, and Alex gave a small, unsure smile before turning to walk away. The two had disarmed each other better than they could with any weapon, and the effects were numbing. Carlin sat down in the grass, now even more confused as to how Alex had so quickly shifted back to good terms. He would have grumbled about how complex his master really was, but he knew that affection was conflicting for him as well. Absentmindedly, Carlin began to tear chunks of grass out of the ground while he thought.

Above on an observation balcony, a silent Talia Di Coteau walked away from what she had just watched, smiling wickedly.

So I just got my reputation score to 50! Yay grindance.gif!!! Thanks so much to all who helped!!! Unfortunately though I will probably start posting a little slower than I have been, so this is just a heads up! (My semester is starting and I may or may not have just met a cute guy who wants to spend some time with me ;D) I hope you enjoy the chapter and I'll try to keep the story up as fast as I can!!
Copyright © 2016 VVesley; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Congrats! Soon you'll be out of the mod queue :D I doubt anyone will mind the slower chapters, one a day was crazy (in a good way), and it's impressive that you kept it up for so long :). Absolutely amazing chapter, and good luck with the cute guy ;):lol:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Congrats on the rating...and the cute guy! Who are we get in the way of that!? I do hope you remember us though, those of us vicariously living through your story ;)

But, really, the story is really great. You're doing a good job of developing their relationship...and just as good a job with luca and poor Jack. I was so upset by your saying they had children as young as 6 in he whore houses and yet the people in important positions must know this and allow it to happen? SICK!! and the beating he's giving the 'loser' at the end of the weak. God I hope Luca goes for it at some point. I hope he can save Jack, though if jack ends up losing, it might just bring an end to Meko. I only hope Luca can escape if that happens. It is a horrible situation.

I am a bit scared of that horrible cousin of theirs visiting. I'd not be surprised though if their mom gives jezebel an assassination order of her own family. Actually, as crazy as she is, I very much hope she sees the risk involved in that little power hungry bitch visiting. She is very much like her afterall, and would be best suited to noticing the risk. I feel like Alex has the right people around him, but she is still dangerous. I'd not want drink anywhere near her during a meal!

I am thoroughly confused by alex's change in behavior. I didn't expect him to just smile after he was kissed again and defeated. What's going on in his mind? I really would love his POV. I'm glad he's still cool with him. I'd have liked to see them acting as friends, doing something like going out to hang out for a drink. I think that would give us a better view of the relationship than just getting a passing sentence about them having some other facet to the relationship than the practice yard. so, maybe let us see that side of it?

You gave me a good laugh with the comment about Talia, "but he still felt she could use a few hobbies that didn’t involve sharp objects." I'd be a bit worried about her 'wickedly' looking down after what she'd seen. I know she loves her brother though and I don't think she'd wish him harm if he was happy for once.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks for the good chapter! You probably pamper us way to much with the frequency of the chapters anyway so I don't see any complains coming. Go take your time for the cute guy, I hope it's going to work out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/24/2015 04:47 AM, faxity said:
Congrats! Soon you'll be out of the mod queue :D I doubt anyone will mind the slower chapters, one a day was crazy (in a good way), and it's impressive that you kept it up for so long :). Absolutely amazing chapter, and good luck with the cute guy ;):lol:
Hehe thank ya ;) We'll see! I still hope to get a little done each night though!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/24/2015 09:02 AM, Cannd said:
Congrats on the rating...and the cute guy! Who are we get in the way of that!? I do hope you remember us though, those of us vicariously living through your story ;)

But, really, the story is really great. You're doing a good job of developing their relationship...and just as good a job with luca and poor Jack. I was so upset by your saying they had children as young as 6 in he whore houses and yet the people in important positions must know this and allow it to happen? SICK!! and the beating he's giving the 'loser' at the end of the weak. God I hope Luca goes for it at some point. I hope he can save Jack, though if jack ends up losing, it might just bring an end to Meko. I only hope Luca can escape if that happens. It is a horrible situation.

I am a bit scared of that horrible cousin of theirs visiting. I'd not be surprised though if their mom gives jezebel an assassination order of her own family. Actually, as crazy as she is, I very much hope she sees the risk involved in that little power hungry bitch visiting. She is very much like her afterall, and would be best suited to noticing the risk. I feel like Alex has the right people around him, but she is still dangerous. I'd not want drink anywhere near her during a meal!

I am thoroughly confused by alex's change in behavior. I didn't expect him to just smile after he was kissed again and defeated. What's going on in his mind? I really would love his POV. I'm glad he's still cool with him. I'd have liked to see them acting as friends, doing something like going out to hang out for a drink. I think that would give us a better view of the relationship than just getting a passing sentence about them having some other facet to the relationship than the practice yard. so, maybe let us see that side of it?

You gave me a good laugh with the comment about Talia, "but he still felt she could use a few hobbies that didn’t involve sharp objects." I'd be a bit worried about her 'wickedly' looking down after what she'd seen. I know she loves her brother though and I don't think she'd wish him harm if he was happy for once.

Wow, thank you for such detailed and lengthy reviews! It really means a lot to me that people are getting into the story. In my mind, Ysabel seems to have psychotic outbursts revolving around the fact that she is forced to live away from her family. That being said, I don't think she would order any of them harm unless they were a danger to Nabius/had really gone out of their way to be destructive. I hope you like the story lines with Jezebel and Ysabel, because they have a lot coming for them in the future!
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/24/2015 01:14 PM, Scary said:
Thanks for the good chapter! You probably pamper us way to much with the frequency of the chapters anyway so I don't see any complains coming. Go take your time for the cute guy, I hope it's going to work out.
Yay thank you! Hopefully I still get to spoil you a little bit and I appreciate that you think you're being spoiled at all!!
  • Like 2
Link to comment

A great story continues. Your meeting a cute guy could make a better story. I know it's a few years now but I'm hoping everything worked well for you. I can imagine Alex being really confused and uncertain of how to deal with what's going on. I'm guessing that any kind of relationship between him and a slave would be frowned upon. His father would be none to happy and the mother is likely to kill both of them. As much as we all want Alex to follow his heart, in this particular society that could be very dangerous. 

Similarly Luca and Jack are also living in very dangerous times. The constant dread of waiting for the hammer to fall leaves us in suspense and hungry for more. Continuing to enjoy this story, well done.

Link to comment
On 4/16/2020 at 1:53 AM, Goodie said:

A great story continues. Your meeting a cute guy could make a better story. I know it's a few years now but I'm hoping everything worked well for you. I can imagine Alex being really confused and uncertain of how to deal with what's going on. I'm guessing that any kind of relationship between him and a slave would be frowned upon. His father would be none to happy and the mother is likely to kill both of them. As much as we all want Alex to follow his heart, in this particular society that could be very dangerous. 

Similarly Luca and Jack are also living in very dangerous times. The constant dread of waiting for the hammer to fall leaves us in suspense and hungry for more. Continuing to enjoy this story, well done.

Thanks so much. I'm happy to report that the cute guy I referenced in this chapter note at the end of the story is now my fiance!  Thanks so much for reading and reviewing.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..