Jump to content
    VVesley
  • Author
  • 2,997 Words
  • 3,136 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alliance - 15. Chapter 15

Horizontal slashes of light enhanced the numbing throbbing in Luca’s head, and eventually the whore turned killer began to see shapes as the world came into focus. Ache pulsed through every joint and bone in the small boy’s body, and even the simple act of moving his head slightly to the left made Luca want to scream in agony. He felt himself slipping, and noticed the tall Tomacian boy who had been with Alexandre the day he was whipped. The man was alert and leaning over him, but Luca couldn’t hear what he was saying, and only saw lips moving in slow motion as blackness overtook him again.

The second time he woke up, he had stayed conscious for a bit longer. Alexandre was with the tall Tomacian, and he looked down at Luca with concern. When Luca stirred and winced at a searing pain somewhere in his ribs, Alex smiled, looking relieved. He had managed to hear a hello, but fell asleep once again.

Finally, Luca awoke to see the first light of a new day streak across the room, and he used all the strength that he had to prop himself up. He was on a sort of medical bed in a room with stone walls and black furnishings, and Luca realized that it was a bedroom. The Di Coteau mansion?

When he tried to move further and let out a timid “Ah!” of pain, the doors cracked open and a young man with sandy hair and pale grey eyes peered in. He looked Luca up and down and nudged someone who wasn’t visible. Shortly after, an absolutely massive man with short, black hair looked in and his eyes widened as well. The two exchanged a look, and hurried off.

Luca laid back against the headboard, and suddenly was aware that every part of his body hurt. His back stung and his shirt felt sticky all over it, and he could feel that he hadn’t been washed in the past day and a half or so. Running his hand over his head, he discovered a terrible case of bedhead.

Good Gods. No one would ever desire me like this. But then Luca thought of the first man he ever killed, and sobered. It doesn’t matter, because no man will ever touch me again.

Just then, the double archway doors to the room burst open, and a slightly flushed and sweaty Alexandre walked in with the Tomacian Luca had recalled seeing. Both were armored, and seem to move just a little too closely together. Here goes.

Alex strode over, and sat on a chair next to the edge of the bed. Luca opened his mouth to speak, but Alex held a single finger over it.

“How are you feeling, Luca?”

The tiny blonde boy looked down at his mostly covered body, and took into account every ache and pain that he felt along his limbs. “Like shit.”

Alex smirked and Luca realized that maybe he ought not to have used profanity in the presence of this noble. He wasn’t accustomed to all the rules of Nabius.

“I figured as much, but the pain means you’re alive.” Alex moved to clap a hand on the boy’s shoulder, but stopped before he did it. That would probably have hurt Luca. “You did very well.” Alexandre’s face was serious, and Luca knew the older teen meant business. “My father was impressed with your attempt at an escape during what could have been the final moments of your life, and thinks that you might not be worthless after all. I’ve told him that you helped me arrange the death of Evangelo Mortisse when we were in the capitol, and he seemed to buy it. Additionally… did you really kill Yonin Meko?”

Luca blanched, but eventually registered everything Alex had said and replied. As he opened his mouth, he heard the small voice in the back of his head tell him to move carefully, and survive. “Yes,” he replied quietly.

Alex paused, but looked satisfied. “His guards and old allegiances will likely view you as an enemy now, so be careful. Here, however, I don’t think you need to worry. Meko’s most powerful ally was Mortisse, and we both know what happened to him.”

All too well, Luca thought. “You said ‘while I’m here…’ you’re not banishing me?”

Alex frowned, then quickly turned his face around and gave a small inquisitive smile. “No, Luca. I have vouched for you to my father, and he has agreed to let you stay. Now that we know for sure it was you who killed Meko, we’ll get that kill officially registered along with the two guards. You’ll also be said to have been involved in the death of Evangelo Mortisse, which should give you enough credit in society to warrant being allowed here.” Alex looked Luca over, and then added on.

“Mortisse and Meko were two high class kills… everyone will wonder about you, and your official label will be as an assassin, my guest. But my father will make you of some use here, and if you’re caught freeloading I’m afraid you’ll find yourself alone in Nabius with a target on your back. I’ll find something for you to do.”

Luca was dazed, and could not believe what he was hearing. An assassin? At least I’m not abandoned… But Madame Di Coteau probably still wants me dead as well.

“This is my personal assistant, Carlin. You are my charge, so he’s been taking care of you all this time. I would stay, but my sister has just returned from one of her many missions, and I’m sure she would like to fill me in on the details.”

Luca gave a weak nod and smile to show that he understood, and Alex walked out of the room, scale-plate armor and boots clinking with delicate clicks of authority. He seems much happier. Not the angry gladiator I met in the capitol.

Luca then turned to face the tall Tomacian, and was surprised when he was met with the widest, whitest grin he had ever seen.

“Hi.”

“Hi.”

“I’m Carlin. Alex already told you I’ve been taking care of you, but I think now it’s probably best if you ignore his advice and get moving. Stretching your muscles will help them out. I’ll walk you down to the kitchens, seeing as you haven’t eaten solid food in a while.”

Luca realized that his stomach was indeed cramping from neglect, and nodded his head. “How long have I been out?”

“Thirteen days… very Nabian of you to pick that number.” Carlin grinned, but frowned when he saw that Luca wasn’t feeling very jocular. He straightened up, and removed the pile of furs that covered Luca’s legs. "We've been broth-feeding you since, and you woke up a couple of times but were delerious."

“Come on,” he said, and practically lifted the boy up with just his hands. Luca cried out in pain, and Carlin adjusted so that he had a gentler grip of support.

***

After a long and painful walk to the kitchen, Luca managed to eat a few mixed vegetables and nibbled on a steak. He was obviously in pain, and Carlin looked him over in a new light.

He is even smaller now that he’s upright… this kid killed Yonin Meko? Carlin knew little and less about the various counts and magistrates and officials that ran both aboveground and underground society, but Alex had explained the man’s influence. He could not fathom how Luca had gotten all the way here on his own. Carlin himself had passed through the capitol as a slave on the way to Mullansburg and Darion Di Coteau’s region, and he knew that it was at least a two days ride.

“How many stripes do I have?” a timid voice asked. Carlin looked up and winced, realizing that the boy was pointing to his back and had been inquiring about his scars.

“Eleven. Twelve if you count your mark from Jezebel.” Luca remembered a painful tingling a few inches below his left nipple, and winced.

“They’re really not too bad, and you have some of the best medicine at your disposal here. And you have a will to survive. I can tell. You almost passed from a fever, but it broke while you mumbled in your sleep.”

Luca looked crestfallen, but Carlin understood. Alex had let him know that Luca had been surviving off of his beauty for the past few years, and now his body was marred like a warrior’s.

“Your face is still very beautiful. We’d thought your eye socket had been cracked, but its fine.” Carlin had meant the words as encouragement, but instantly felt guilty when Luca flinched under his appraisal.

“Look Luca, I’m not going to hurt you or molest you or anything, I know that you’re used to – “

“I know.” Luca had interrupted, and looked up at Carlin with an expression of trust. “I know how men look when they lust, and can see who you have eyes for.”

Carlin felt himself go red, and panicked internally.

Shit. We’ve been too obvious. “Uhh, look, could you not mention that to anyone? I’m basically just a promoted slave, and Alex, Alex is…”

“Alexandre Meridius Di Coteau. I know.” Luca smiled with solemn understanding, and Carlin felt relief.

I’ll have to worry about appearances later, but I think this guy can be trusted. Maybe he’s just better at knowing what to look for. He started again.

“I’m sorry, Luca. Alex and I would have come sooner if we had known it was you. All we were told was that an assassin was on his way.” Luca stared, and it all made sense.

“Madame Ysabel sent a letter, I assume.” Carlin looked surprised, and nodded with his mouth open.

“How did you know that?”

“She told me how to get here.” At that, Carlin’s look of surprise turned into an expression of shock, and his mouth dropped fully ajar.

“You met Ysabel Di Coteau?”


Luca understood the question. “Yeah… she just let me go.”

Carlin looked him over, and smiled while rufflling the younger boy’s hair. “If twelve scars and a few broken bones are all you got out of an encounter with the Demon, consider yourself lucky.”

Luca realized that the friendly man was right, and smiled. Luca was still alive with a roof over his head for the moment. He would survive.

***

Bathing was an even tougher task, considering Luca retracted any part of his body with welts and cuts and scars as soon as it made contact with the water. The water stung, and Luca shook violently each time Carlin sponged him.

At first, Luca had been unsure about removing his clothes in front of the other man, but realized that plenty had seen him naked before and Carlin had been cleaning him for thirteen days already. The help was also greatly appreciated.

While a huge blob of bubbles slid down his head, neck and back, Luca decided that he should get to know his caretaker, even if he was only temporary.

“Where are you from?”

Carlin’s face fell, and Luca sensed guilt and nerves. “Tomacia” was the tight lipped reply that Luca got.

Okay, not a good subject. “What do you do here for Alex in the mansion? Besides in bed, I mean.”

Carlin’s face went red and turned to a look of alarm, and he looked around the bathroom. Realizing that no one could have possibly heard and that Luca was actually japing with him, Carlin smiled. “I attend to all of his documents, keep them organized, help train his men, provide some advice, keep his schedule… basically anything that he asks. I’m also his training partner.”

Luca’s eyes widened, realizing that this man could fight with Alex. He had seen the general’s son in the arena, and thought that Carlin must be skilled.

Though judging by the muscles he boasts… he probably is.

“Do you know what I might do here?” Carlin scrunched his face in thought, and then leaned in conspiratorially to speak with a smile.

“You can’t tell anyone this, but Alex has suggested to me the idea of you being a councilor of his. He says that you bring an untrained eye to things, and that could be useful.” Luca smiled, thinking that that wouldn’t be too bad.

“Of course, you could also get drafted into the service of any other noble here… that includes the general, Jezebel, and Talia.”

Luca frowned at that, but didn’t think the general would want him near his hulking self. And Jezebel and Talia… Luca struggled to decide which to ask about first.

“How is Lady Talia? Is she… like her mother?” Carlin cocked his head to the side, and laughed.

“No,” he said firmly. “Don’t get me wrong, Talia is scary as hell and it took me a long time to get used to her. But she seems to thrive off of adrenaline, rather than actually killing or hurting people. She’s rude to anyone she dislikes, and her brashness… well, if she wasn’t so noble, her teeth would have been knocked out at a young age for her disrespectful mouth.” Grinning even wider and almost laughing at some memory, he went on. “Her interactions with Jezebel are particularly funny. They’re old rivals.”

Luca looked down at the chemical burn on his torso, and shuddered. He already hated Jezebel as well. He looked around and realized that the bathwater had gone lukewarm, and asked to be let out.

Carlin hoisted the teen’s small frame out of the tub, and began gingerly patting him down with a towel.

He’s not so bad.

***

Jezebel stalked through the halls of her Uncle’s manse, glaring at old portraits and awards given to the general that decorated the walls.

He is not nearly as dangerous as me. She was sulking, annoyed that her poison hadn’t killed the little blonde boy. It was a slow-working acid that was designed to produce maximum pain, until it finally ate through critical organs and the victim passed. Jezebel knew that the poison had barely gotten halfway through the top layer of muscle and refused to apply an antidote until Alexandre had gripped a mailed fist around her neck. Rubbing it, her mood darkened further.

How dare he lay his hands on me… perhaps I’ll finish the boy off later to spite him. But no, that wouldn’t do. Everyone would know it had been her. Kills are best when they’re unexpected.

Disapproving of another portrait of the general who had lived in the house half a century earlier, Jezebel moved on.

My aunt even sent the order! It was perfectly justified that he should die. She muttered on, and distractedly found herself in front of the doors to General Darion’s office. She had an idea, and knocked loudly on the black arched double door.

Is he there?

She opened it a bit, and peered down the long marble room with pillars along two sides. At the other end was the general’s monstrous black desk, and no one was there.

Even better.

Jezebel slinked through the door quietly, and closed it with a soft click. As she strode across the room, she was pleased to hear that her black silk slippers made no sound on the marble floor. When she had reached the desk, she looked over its contents.

There was a stack of parchment and a quill and ink set, and various papers littered the surface. All of the stacks were at perfect, ninety-degree angles to one another at equally spaced distances. Only one stack was messy, and it had a large black orb of a paperweight on top.

That’s probably a trap. Sure enough, Jezebel looked and observed that the large black paperweight was connected to a rod that went through the papers into the desk. If some unwanted person had tried to move it, the desk would have probably released some configuration of weapons or poisonous gas. Not that it would have mattered, considering Jezebel had made herself immune to most poisons that were common.

What is this? Jezebel noticed a stack of papers that looked like they had been more recently touched.

Some expense reports, a charter, a map… this is interesting.

Jezebel had found a kill list, with forty-one names inked in black on it. Thirty were crossed off in using red ink, which probably contained blood. Pouring over the list, Jezebel noticed that most of the names were Mullansburg officials and counts, with the exception of three. All three were already crossed out, and Jezebel noticed that two of them were Yonin Meko and Evangelo Mortisse.

Someone is on a mission, she thought, but didn’t see the connection between the names.

This is probably Talia’s hit list, she thought, and neatly put it back in its place. Underneath it, she found something that sparked her interests more.

It was a letter, received from a Saint’s Town official. Saint’s Town was Randal Pyconne’s region’s major city, like Mullansburg was to here. Her eyes widened, and the plot of a coup to kill General Pyconne and instate Alexandre as commanding general of his territory was revealed to her.

No. NO. NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jezebel wanted to scream, but she remembered that she was in a forbidden place.

How could Alex be general before me?! One showy stunt, and he gets the honor?! This is outrageous!

She read further, and realized that the plans for overthrow had already started, and could no longer be stopped.

If Alexandre is gone… I will be the next best fit for general. She grinned, and put the letter back into it’s obsessively neat stack. She trotted out of the room, a new bounce in her step. Ponytail swinging back and forth, she hummed and padded along back to her room.

I am going to kill you, cousin.

Copyright © 2016 VVesley; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I'm glad Luca has come through again. He is a true survivor and I can see lots of opportunities to be useful in the future now that his days as a rent boy are over. Now we can only hope that Jezebel is undone by her own arrogance and ambition. The story is really going great.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I can't wait until someone destroys her in a violent way and little Luca is the perfect person to do it!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 02/03/2015 11:19 AM, Scary said:
The ending! How can you do that to me? Now I need more!
Haha more will come soon, I promise!!
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 02/03/2015 11:19 AM, Scary said:
The ending! How can you do that to me? Now I need more!
Haha more will come soon, I promise!!
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/03/2015 01:19 PM, Cannd said:
I can't wait until someone destroys her in a violent way and little Luca is the perfect person to do it!!!
Hehe I'm not sure your wish will be granted, but I'll keep it in mind… maybe :)
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 02/03/2015 10:47 AM, drpaladin said:
I'm glad Luca has come through again. He is a true survivor and I can see lots of opportunities to be useful in the future now that his days as a rent boy are over. Now we can only hope that Jezebel is undone by her own arrogance and ambition. The story is really going great.
Thank you! I'm excited for where both of those characters are going in the plot!
  • Like 3
Link to comment

damn, I'm almost glad I haven't been able to read 'till now :lol:. At least this way I don't have to deal with that cliffhanger for long! Awesome chapter, I really like Jezebel as a plot element... as a person, I hope terrible things happen to her 0:)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Such a waste. This family acting together instead of against each other could be a truly powerful force in the land. Why is it some people can't see the wood for the trees? Talia is right to hate Jez and I hope she slaps the bitch out of her. 

Glad Luca is recovering from his ordeal. Something tells me he has a part to play and may prove himself very useful.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..