Jump to content
    VVesley
  • Author
  • 3,727 Words
  • 5,710 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alliance - 16. Chapter 16

Talia awaited her brother, eager to share what she had discovered. She had been off and on missions for days, and had ended up in a pattern of being on the job, then returning and debriefing her father and brother, and then resting before heading out on the next mission. Today, however, things were different.

Talia had been working on a long list of names, and she had originally thought that she was assigned this task because her father wanted to show her as achieving a prodigal number of kills. It made sense, given that she had chosen St. Augusto as her favorite Assassin Saint. He was the first Nabian to have achieved over one thousand kills, and Talia had certainly been doing her best to emulate him. She had actually passed the one hundred mark before graduation from the academy, and would hit a second hundred upon finishing the list.

She sat on a black velvet chaise lounge in one of the halls that was under a large portrait. It had been the customary spot for she and Alexandre to meet for the past few weeks, and she came to enjoy sprawling out on the luxurious piece of furniture where she could simply talk. On hearing a few heavy footsteps, she knew her brother was coming.

“Talia. It’s good to see you.”

“And you,” Talia replied with a smile.

“How were your most recent missions?”

“Fine, fine. Easy kills, and I got blood samples and signet rings to confirm them shortly after. Nothing unordinary. How’s your friend?” She was eager to get to the more important details, and brushed off the initial question with brusque casualness. Her second question was only formal politeness.

“He’s good. He woke up the last time you were here, and has been recovering well ever since. Carlin has been helping him out, and he is eager to help around the house. Luca certainly has a strong will to survive.”

I don’t think anyone could doubt that.

“But I don’t think you’re here to talk about a recovering house worker, so … is there a reason you sent for me so urgently?”

Finally, the good part. “Yes, Alex. “ How to put this? “I’ve been looking over the kill list that father has given me in conjunction with the previous list I received directly after graduation. At first, I thought I was just supposed to show off how many people I could kill in short time spans. But now… I think our father has had hidden motivations.”

“What do you mean?”

“All of the officials that I’ve been targeting are known advocates of strict adherence to Nabian law.”

“Aren’t we all, officially?”

Talia rolled her eyes. “I suppose, but these people are really big on upholding Nabian values. They wouldn’t like someone rising to power at too young an age… especially not someone small. As a matter of fact, the list that I have contains everyone who lobbied before the last meeting of the thirteen in favor of removing our nepotism rules. They all seem to be strongly against consolidation of power in the hands of one group, person, or family. Well, apart from themselves of course.”

Alexandre’s eyes slowly grew wider, as the meaning of his sister’s words sunk in. “You… you believe that father is preparing for one of us to rise to power?”

“I believe he wants you to rise into power, and he’s taking out any potential opposition.”

Alex pushed a hand through his hair, and sat down next to Talia. This was big news, and she could tell that her brother was just as hesitant to process it as she had been.

“I mean… I’ve had my suspicions that something like this would happen, it makes sense. With so much power in the hands of our family… we would have a lot of control. And uncle Yago…” Alex shuddered. The man had always terrified him, and once made him kill his favorite dog from the stables. Alexandre had been nine, and was forced to do whatever his uncle said in an exercise of ‘not showing weakness or sentimentality.’ Alex had cried during the exercise, and that earned Yago Clarion’s disgust for what had seemed to be forever. Ever since that event, Alexandre’s heart was hardened towards the man.

“With General Yago considered as part of the family, we’d have access to quite a few of the regions. And say Jezebel and I are put in to power as well soon after…?”

“Then Nabius would essentially be under our control,” Alex said.

***

Shit, Luca thought, hearing the platter clatter to the floor. He had just dropped a tray of hors d’oeuvres meant to have been brought to the general’s office, and the food now littered the stone floor of a hallway. Luca groaned, and immediately thought of what kind of corporeal punishment he would receive. This was the first time he had messed up in the Di Coteau manse, and had genuinely been trying hard to please everyone in the household. They were his lifelines, and he preferred being in the house rather than out of it.

I guess I’d better clean this and return to the kitchen. Luca wiped the mess up with a towel that he kept handy, and picked up the tray to return through the kitchen doors. He had barely made it out of them, so the cooking staff gave questioning looks when he returned a few minutes later. The head chef approached, and Luca looked into the green eyes of a rotund redheaded man.

“I’m sorry sir… I dropped the tray.” Luca fought the urge to shake or show cowardice in the face of the chef, and apparently it showed.

“Ha ha! No worries boy. We keep a second tray ready at all times if one of the masters in the house doesn’t like what they’re brought originally. Take that instead.”

Luca was shocked that the man had laughed. His entire manner was shocking, given that he didn’t seem to be infected by the violent frenzy of Nabius.

Perhaps chefs are like blacksmiths, and are immune to the mentality of this country. They just focus on their work and that is good enough? Just as he thought this, the default blacksmith of his thoughts walked through the kitchen door that led outside.

“Hey Alfie,” a cheery Mikhail said.

“Hello boy,” replied the fat chef.

“Luca! What are you doing here?” Mikhail looked him up and down, and Luca figured that this must be the route he took when he had cause to enter the house. The backdoor to the kitchen was closer to the forge than any other door into the house, given that it was right next to the smokehouse.

“I’ve been doing odd jobs around the house, trying to make myself useful. Until I can get a more permanent position, that is.”

“Ah. I see. Where are you headed to now?” Alfie shoved another silver platter into Luca’s hands, and replied for him.

“The general’s office. Don’t drop this one though, I’m not making another!” Alfie laughed, and Luca timidly smiled back. He liked this man.

“Excellent. We can walk together.” Mikhail held up a fine wooden box that was painted black, and had little silver inlays all around it. “Package to deliver.”

Luca wondered what was in the box, but nodded and the pair began to walk. Luca was glad that Mikhail was with him, as he genuinely enjoyed his company. He had been spending a fair amount of time around Carlin, and Carlin and Mikhail were good friends. Thus, Luca had been inside the smith’s shop quite a few times.

“So the kitchens? A serving boy then, huh?” Luca was pretty sure that Mikhail meant it in a teasing way, but replied seriously.

“No. I just… I want to do what I can. I’d prefer not to get kicked out of the house for being useless, especially now that I’m officially an assassin. Apparently they tend to have targets on their backs.”

Mikhail laughed. “Ah yes. The fearsome Luca. Maybe I should stay away from you, you seem quite dangerous to me. So deft and precise, throwing food on the ground on purpose and such.” Mikhail smirked, and Luca laughed as they passed a set of guards posted outside Talia’s quarters. That reminded him of a question he had been meaning to ask either Carlin or Mikhail, and he felt it was important.

“Hey, Mikhail, I’ve been meaning to ask something.”

“Yes?” Mikhail arched an eyebrow quizzically, and turned to look at the tiny boy while they walked.

“What do you know of Alexandre’s man called Eamon?” Mikhail’s brows furrowed as he thought of what to say. After mulling the question over, he gave an answer.

“Not much, I suppose. Just that he’s new, only been here for a couple of weeks. He uses poleaxes and spears, and is pretty good in combat… He came in at the same time as Roark and Barclay. I think he’s officially classified as a soldier, but I bet he could still kick your ‘assassin’ ass.” Mikhail had nudged Luca with a smile and laugh when he said that, and had meant it playfully. His joking ceased when that had only made Luca look more worried, and he inquired into the change in mood. “Is something wrong?”

“No… no, its just that I can tell when a man lusts after me. I’ve had a lot of experience with that.” Mikhail was one of the few who knew that Luca was actually just an escaped whore, and understood.

“Maybe you should talk to him then, huh?” Mikhail was being suggestive, and thought the two might hit it off. When Luca looked back at him, though, his heart dropped.

Luca was almost in tears, and was doing his best not to shake. It was easy to forget that the boy seemed tough, but had faced several years of abuse, rape, and injustice. Mikhail immediately understood what the problem was, and revised his statement.

“Oh, Luca, buddy. I don’t think anyone here would ever hurt you or take you without your consent here. Alexandre and Carlin both have the power to punish him if he tried anything, and they definitely seem fond of you. You're protected.” Luca fought the urge to sniffle, and steeled himself. His eyes went dry very quickly, and his face returned to one of resolve.

“I know. I just… I’ve seen men give me looks like that many times, and I don’t feel entirely safe around him. But I guess as far as he knows, I’m an accomplished assassin. I’ll be fine.” The statement was said with what Luca thought was confidence, but it sounded a lot more like attempted self-reassurance. Mikhail nodded.

“Exactly. You’ll be safe. I don’t think you’re in any danger here.”

Luca thought to Jezebel, and imagined that she still probably wanted to dump poisons on his body and watch the flesh and bone decay. But Alex and Talia seemed to hate their cousin too, so he felt that he was probably safe from her as well.

“Right, right.” Luca exhaled a breath, and realized that they had entered the wing of the estate that the general’s office was in, the doors would be approaching soon, and he needed to look his best in front of the Di Coteau head of house.

“Thanks, Mikhail.” The older man nodded, and they turned to a huge set of arched double doors.

The pair knocked, and entered after a terse command.

“Ah, thank you boys.” The general sat at his humongous desk, and seemed to be glad to have a distraction from the many piles of papers that sat on top of it. He squeezed his fingers on the bridge of his nose, and widened them to rub over his eyes.

“Food, and my order, I presume?” Both young men respectfully nodded, and presented him with what they were carrying.

General Darion indicated for the platter to be placed on one corner of the desk, but took the box out of Mikhail’s hands directly. He opened it, and Luca saw that inside was a set of ten beautiful daggers. They had elegant engravings around the hilt and at the widest part of the blade, and each had what looked like a ruby at the bottom. It was hard not to gasp, and Luca was reminded of a weapon he had once used.

“These are excellent, Mikhail. Did you or your father do the engravings?” Mikhail looked proud, and smiled when he answered.

“I did, sir. I designed them specifically with Talia in mind.” General Di Coteau’s eyebrows slowly rose into arches, but he made no comment about the way Mikhail said Talia’s name with affection.

“You are becoming quite a skilled worker. You are dismissed.”

“Thank you, sir. Of course, sir.” Mikhail turned on his heels, and turned to walk across the room out the doors. Luca was about to do the same, but was stopped first.

“Not you, small one.” Luca stilled, and the hairs on the back of his neck rose.

What could the general possibly want with me?

“You work in the kitchens?”

Luca wasn’t sure where this was going. “Yes, sir.” After a brief second, he added on. “I’ve been trying to be as useful as I can around the estate, and take any job offered.”

Darion Di Coteau looked amused at that, but not displeased.

“My son has told me of your true background, and I must admit that it is not admirable. In fact, I find it repulsive.” Luca gulped. “He has, however, mentioned that he would like to take you on as his own man, perhaps as a councilor or general advisor. I would like to ask you… is an ex-whore and kitchen worker worthy of giving advice to the Di Coteau family?”

Luca could feel himself wanting to sweat, but did everything he could to not let his nerves show. This is where I am decided upon, he thought. Hoping that the general would like confidence, he calmed his knotted stomach and launched into his answer.

“I believe that I can offer an untrained perspective, and perhaps the eye of the common folk, sir. I also have some insight into the workings of the Nabian underground, and am familiar with many counts and officials in the capitol. Though I may not be large in stature, but I am loyal to Master Alexandre and would do his bidding without question if it came down to it. Sir.” The general set his elbows on his desk, and put his hands together. He breathed out slowly, and glanced at the plate of food Luca had brought.

“I see. Truthfully, it is not up to me to decide who Alex chooses for companions. But be aware that you are technically residing in my home, and I do have some say in your fate. I will not hesitate to eliminate you if you are in any way a failure.” Luca’s knees were weak, and he realized that there probably was no person in Nabius more intimidating than this general save maybe his wife.

“However, I respect your tenacity and will permit you to stay, as one of Alexandre’s councilmen. The kitchen may require some of your additional help in the next few days given that the feast of the eclipse is coming up, but it should be no problem for you to balance both jobs. You are dismissed.” Luca wanted to pass out in relief at that moment, but simply imitated Mikhail in leaving.

“Thank you, sir. Of course, sir.” Luca gave a small deferential bow, and walked out of the room.

***

Carlin paced back and forth, debating over whether or not now was the right time to do this. He had been losing honor every day he was at the Di Coteau household, but felt that it was more than made up for by the love he was gaining.

Yes, he knew. I love Alex more than anyone or anything. He couldn’t see himself being with anyone else or by anyone else’s side for the rest of his life, but that simply wasn’t possible.

Perhaps I could stay, and continue to live this lie. Being Alexandre’s assistant wasn’t so bad, and getting to hold the man he loved every night… that was worth more than anything anyone could offer in the world. And the fun they had in bed… that was worth the world. But Tomacians did not live lies, and Carlin was an honorable man. The thought of giving up ever seeing his parents again was also saddening, and Carl didn't feel right exchanging one life for another. Perhaps I'm greedy, to want it all. But I do.

I will likely die for this. Carlin didn’t want to cause Alexandre pain, but he could no longer stand lying to his lover’s face every single day and night. He knew that Alex trusted him more than anyone else, and loved him back just as deeply. He had said so much many times, and that was big coming from him.

My poor boy has hidden his emotions his entire life, except for with me. Carlin knew that a betrayal of trust would crush his lover, and he would be the source of it fully.

It will only get worse with time. Carlin gritted his teeth, and walked into Alexandre’s room through the private door that linked their quarters. He found the black-haired beauty sitting at his desk, pouring over what looked like expense reports.

Probably for the feast.

“Ah, hello Carlin,” Alex said with one of his half smiles.

Fuck, I love those smiles, Carlin thought. Alexandre was almost never caught displaying signs of happiness or affection in front of others, and he still was reserved even around those he trusted. Of all the people in Alexandre’s life, Carlin had only ever seen the boy smile at him, Talia, and Luca. Carlin felt special each time he received the look of joy. And his full on smiles… those are the best.

Carlin had only seen Alexandre absolutely beam a few times, and thought it was the most breathtaking site in the world. Each time, they had been in bed together and finishing simultaneously, in an expression of absolute love and devotion. Carlin craved seeing that expression on his boy’s face, but knew it would likely never happen again.

“Hello, beautiful.” He took ahold of Alexandre’s hips in his hands, and pulled the smaller teen close for a sweet and passionate kiss. A small voice in his head told him to relish it, because it was probably the last he would ever receive. He pulled back, and spoke before Alexandre could say anything further. When he felt himself hardening against his lovers stomach, he was annoyed at his body's inappropriateness. Now is not the time.

“Alex,” he said softly. “I need to talk to you, and I need you to listen. Everything that I am going to say is true, and I hope you believe me with all of my heart. There is no one that I’d rather be with than you, and I sincerely hope that you understand what I mean and intend.” Alex frowned and look worried, but nodded. He guided Carlin to the bed, and the lovers sat across from one another on it.

“I really, really love you. I have never felt for anyone like I have felt for you in my life. I want to grow old with you and see you and hear your voice and laugh every day.” Alex gave a shy smile at that, and Carlin just became more somber.

“However,” he said, with a wavering voice that cracked. “I have not been honest with you.” Alexandre’s face returned to confusion, and Carlin felt more pain in this moment than he had ever felt on any battlefield.

“What I need you to hear is that my intentions have changed, and my outlook has been radically altered. I do not intend to go through with original plans, and I promise to leave everyone be. Whether you kill me or not… I just want you to know that I feel I have to be honest. Telling you the truth in hopes that we can work out some kind of life is worth dying for. You are worth dying for. You absolutely are… and I will do so gladly if that is what you choose.” Alex looked extremely worried now, and he opened his mouth to speak, but Carlin held his finger up to indicate that he wasn’t done.

“My name is not Carlin.” Alexandre drew back, obviously now on his guard.

“My name,” Carlin said with an inhale, “is Carlisle Andrew Cathcart, son of Richard and Carmine Cathcart.”

***

Alex reeled back, and stood up from the bed in silence, shocked at what he had just heard. That is not possible.

He backed away from the man he loved, head spinning as he digested the news. He felt nauseated, and his entire world was crushed in an instant. He wanted to drop to his knees, and wither until death there on the floor. He looked once more at the beautiful Tomacian, and shook his head in disbelief.

I loved you. Tears began to roll down his cheeks, and all the anger from every injustice in his life boiled to the surface.

“I LOVED YOU!” Alex screamed, and punched a hard fist into Carlin’s – Carlisle’s, he supposed – face. The blow sent the bigger man reeling off the bed and onto the floor where he stayed. How could this happen to me?

Alex turned on his heels abruptly and strode through the door. Black clothes billowing about his frame, Alex slammed the door and ran through the halls outside into his personal courtyard. He collapsed at the fountain, and gazed into the depths of the waters.

I have to do something, Alex thought. But he knew he could not, he would not. The man of his affections had been everything.

But now, what is he?

Grimacing, Alex realized that he knew exactly what he was.

He is Carlisle Andrew Cathcart. He is the high prince of Tomacia, and the only reason he is here is to assassinate my family.

The big reveal! 😮
Copyright © 2016 VVesley; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So Carlin (I don't care what his name is, I like Carlin better :gikkle:) is high enough up to help form an alliance! :D Considering he also has ties to the most powerful family in Nabius - probably in the world, too - he can do far more good than just curbing the Di Coteau family's power :D. I'm glad he came clean with Alex, too; I don't think Alex will do anything too rash, and now there's (hopefully) no more lies between them.

Absolutely amazing chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Oh, this was good, really good! At least Alex didn't stab him on the spot. Must mean something. I curious how they will handle this. It kind of makes you wonder about Luca's background...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Now we know the true meaning of the story's title. If the two of them were together, they would rival everyone else power wise. Now Alexandre needs to think things past his first instincts. Regardless of why 'Carlin' was there to begin with, he now loves Alex and has told him his deepest secret.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

cool.....I thought he was sent there with another purpose from the beginning but I didn't think he was prince of tomacia...why would they send their prince? he is their future isn't he? doesn't the fact he was honest with alex tell him he is in love with him? he could die for this at alex's hand. he's in enemy walls admitting this. can't wait to see where you go with this. what would aligning himself do for them even if he's given one of the bordering regions as one of the 13. The only good I see is he is definitely on par with Alex and a 'good match' under the right circumstances. there is no way his father would see any reason to let him live.

what will poor alex do? I think he'll go back in and tell Carlin he doesn't care and that he loves him. can't wait to see!!

And go Luca...many lesser men have probably fallen under the pressure of talking to the General. He did a great job. That kid has a lot of balls. I hope he can heal enough to trust someone someday.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The big reveal and the tie in to the title of our story. I hope that Carlin and Alex will be able to work out an alliance with themselves. It's going to be an interesting next couple of chapters.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I have to say that was no surprise at all for me. With all the hints you left before I was practically convinced already that Carlin is a very high Tomacian noble (like eg a prince) that is there to sabotage something. But noe I am curious how Alex will react, I suppose he will try to make the best out if it and not denounce Carlin.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/05/2015 08:42 AM, faxity said:
So Carlin (I don't care what his name is, I like Carlin better :gikkle:) is high enough up to help form an alliance! :D Considering he also has ties to the most powerful family in Nabius - probably in the world, too - he can do far more good than just curbing the Di Coteau family's power :D. I'm glad he came clean with Alex, too; I don't think Alex will do anything too rash, and now there's (hopefully) no more lies between them.

Absolutely amazing chapter!

Thank you! :D There's still a lot about to happen before this issue can be resolved, so hold tight :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/05/2015 08:47 AM, Puppilull said:
Oh, this was good, really good! At least Alex didn't stab him on the spot. Must mean something. I curious how they will handle this. It kind of makes you wonder about Luca's background...
Haha I had considered having Alex hurt him a little bit more ;D but we'll see!
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/05/2015 08:47 AM, Puppilull said:
Oh, this was good, really good! At least Alex didn't stab him on the spot. Must mean something. I curious how they will handle this. It kind of makes you wonder about Luca's background...
Haha I had considered having Alex hurt him a little bit more ;D but we'll see!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/05/2015 09:07 AM, drpaladin said:
Now we know the true meaning of the story's title. If the two of them were together, they would rival everyone else power wise. Now Alexandre needs to think things past his first instincts. Regardless of why 'Carlin' was there to begin with, he now loves Alex and has told him his deepest secret.
Yup! It's always rough when emotion comes to play, and there will be a lot to work out between the two of them.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/05/2015 11:36 AM, Cannd said:
cool.....I thought he was sent there with another purpose from the beginning but I didn't think he was prince of tomacia...why would they send their prince? he is their future isn't he? doesn't the fact he was honest with alex tell him he is in love with him? he could die for this at alex's hand. he's in enemy walls admitting this. can't wait to see where you go with this. what would aligning himself do for them even if he's given one of the bordering regions as one of the 13. The only good I see is he is definitely on par with Alex and a 'good match' under the right circumstances. there is no way his father would see any reason to let him live.

what will poor alex do? I think he'll go back in and tell Carlin he doesn't care and that he loves him. can't wait to see!!

And go Luca...many lesser men have probably fallen under the pressure of talking to the General. He did a great job. That kid has a lot of balls. I hope he can heal enough to trust someone someday.

Just like Alexandre or Talia would go on the big flashy missions, so did Carlisle. It just hasn't turned out the way he's expected I suppose :) And Luca's emotional state will get a little bit more of a focus way later down the line (maybe even in the next book :P)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/05/2015 03:00 PM, Rebelghost85 said:
The big reveal and the tie in to the title of our story. I hope that Carlin and Alex will be able to work out an alliance with themselves. It's going to be an interesting next couple of chapters.
Oh, lots is going to happen in the next few chapters!
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/06/2015 05:18 AM, Scary said:
I have to say that was no surprise at all for me. With all the hints you left before I was practically convinced already that Carlin is a very high Tomacian noble (like eg a prince) that is there to sabotage something. But noe I am curious how Alex will react, I suppose he will try to make the best out if it and not denounce Carlin.
Will he? Alex is a complex young man… I hope you like where it goes in the future! Thanks for the review :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I hate to say this but making an allaince with Nabius? They are a horrid people. The other two should be making an alliance to take Nabius down. Even allied to them they could never be trusted, they plot, scheme and murder each other so not good. Carlin, the high prince has effectively betrayed his family and his people. I mentioned previously how much I loathe assassins, I hate traitors even more, unfortunately Carlin is both. Still love the story but not too fond of Carlin right now and frankly don't care what happens to him. 

Link to comment
On 4/16/2020 at 6:14 AM, Goodie said:

I hate to say this but making an allaince with Nabius? They are a horrid people. The other two should be making an alliance to take Nabius down. Even allied to them they could never be trusted, they plot, scheme and murder each other so not good. Carlin, the high prince has effectively betrayed his family and his people. I mentioned previously how much I loathe assassins, I hate traitors even more, unfortunately Carlin is both. Still love the story but not too fond of Carlin right now and frankly don't care what happens to him. 

Interesting reaction! Excited to see how your thoughts develop as I read the next comments!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..