Jump to content
    VVesley
  • Author
  • 3,016 Words
  • 3,360 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alliance - 20. Chapter 20

I can’t do this, Luca thought. The huge black desk before him made him seem even smaller, a pale blond dot presiding over an ocean of ebony and silver. Luca remembered the intimidation that he felt while sitting on the other side of the desk, looking up at the late Darion Di Coteau. Somehow, he didn’t feel that he would look nearly as intimidating when seated behind the large piece of furniture himself. I am short, thin, and untrained. Who would find me intimidating? I can’t even use a basic sword.

‘Ah, but no one knows that. Everyone knows you as the assassin that brought Yonin Meko down,’ he remembered Alexandre telling him.

Luca had been deeply honored, of course, and quite frankly shocked when Alexandre had asked him to fill in and manage the Di Coteau estate. He knew that this meant he had been given a great deal of trust, but also a great deal of responsibility. This might have been fine for someone like Mikhail, or Carlin, but Luca hadn’t even had the freedom to have responsibilities for most of his life.

Why… how… Luca didn’t even know what questions he could pose himself. But as with everything, he decided he’d learn to deal with it. Everyone else was needed on the mission, and for good reasons. Mikhail was valuable as a traveller because of his expertise in dealing with commoners, wares, trading, money, and craftsmanship. Talia was taken because she probably could outfight any one of the males in the entire household, and Carlin was the entire object of Alexandre’s mission. Of those who knew about this task, that left Barclay, Roark, and Eamon. Barclay was a short-ranged fighter, and Roark could have distance covered. With all grounds covered for a small combat group, which meant that Eamon would be left behind, with Luca. They were the only two left to uphold Alexandre’s hold over this Nabian region, and that meant that they faced quite a bit of pressure.

Why did it have to be him? Luca could tell that the older teen’s good looks and charms had gotten him everything he had wanted in life – likely even into Mullansburg’s academy – and Luca was tired of men who always got what they wanted. The not-so-subtle glances from Eamon were unwanted as well, and Luca often found them confusing. He knew that Eamon and Talia had history, but the looks he slipped Luca were definitely ones of desire. Perhaps he likes both men and women. Either way, the thought of another man using him for bodily gains sickened Luca. Since watching Jack get abused and murdered after his inability to cope with becoming property, Luca had sworn that he would never allow himself to become objectified ever again. And that most certainly included the older teen he knew was posted outside the door of his temporary office.

I have never had an office before. Luca had done some accounting work before, mostly because Meko forced any prostitutes that left his brothels to visit wealthy patrons to learn. Thus, he could read and write, and perform regarding finance. What he did not expect, however, was using these skills to interact with others across the continent and globe. Letters had arrived in bundles in the few days that Alexandre and his company had been gone, and Luca responded to all with diligence. Some were simply wastes of time, filled with praises and attempts at being polite and expressing congratulations for the rise of such a young general.

Others contained information like import and export expenses. Of these records, Luca had altered nothing excluding a deal with Illjard. He had opted for less ice blocks to be imported, and more of the hard, potato-like vegetables that the Illjard produced to come in. He figured that the nobility of Mullansburg could do without the luxury of ice if more of the city would be properly nourished for it. Day to day business was tedious, but he much preferred that to having to talk face to face with others. This was especially true given that he had to explain why it was he, and not the true general in the office. That was always a difficult subject.

After replying to the menial concerns of a captain under Alexandre’s control currently occupying an Ironian territory, Luca heard a squabble outside of his door. It sounded like Eamon was trying to restrain someone from entering unannounced, but the doors to the office flew open anyway.

The large man walked into the room, his heavy metal boots stomping on the marble floors towards the desk. He was mumbling something about being able to enter any part of this manse he pleased, but was silenced when he glanced upwards to see Luca, not Alex, in the great desk.

“Who are you to dare to sit in the seat of my nephew?”

Luca looked the man up and down, and saw the ghost of Darion Di Coteau. Black slicked back hair and bulging muscles painted a picture of the dead reanimated, and Luca felt sharp panic for a brief moment. No. That’s not him. The man was slightly smaller, though still gargantuan. Luca felt pangs of familiarity, and rapidly pieced together who this man was. After a glance at his high cheekbones and narrowed eyes, Luca could tell immediately that this was Jezebel’s father, General of the Thirteen and Alexandre’s uncle, Damien Di Coteau. The look of anger on his face demanded an explanation, so Luca sat up a bit straighter in his chair. The steward’s pin on his breast became a little bit more evident that way, he hoped.

“My name is Luca, and I am currently acting in the stead of General Alexandre. It is an unexpected honor to receive you, General Di Coteau.” Luca had tried his best to sound like Alex, and hoped that it had worked. He relaxed a little bit when he saw the tension leave General Damien’s shoulders.

“Where is he? They left you in charge? Where is Talia? I’d like to see at least one of my damn nephews since I took the trouble of coming here.”

Apparently he’s not really one for formalities. Luca quickly tried to piece together where the general had come from and what his purpose might be. I know he was in the capitol at the time of the war games, but that was a long time ago… Damien controls one of the northernmost territories, meaning he’s simply east of here when at home. If he came here, he’s either leaving home and heading towards the capitol, or just came from the capitol and is coming home. Jezebel is still in the area, so he’s likely planning on traveling with her. She has no business to attend to in the south, so he likely just came from there. Hoping he was right, Luca did his best at making it seem like he was well informed and suited for the job in his reply.

“I am a trusted confidant of your nephews, who both are currently on an important mission. How is the capitol lately? It must be nice to be returning home.” The general gave pause at that, and seemed to consider that perhaps the boy sitting at this desk was actually someone of importance that he simply didn’t know.

“Yes… I look forward to it. I would have liked to see some more of my family in this… upsetting time for us, but I understand the call of mission. I will be staying the night before leaving tomorrow. Have a servant prepare a bird to Lady Ysabel for a message.”

Ysabel… the woman truly was a nightmare, but it had been said that she controlled more regions of Nabius than anyone else; one through her husband, and one through her incompetent brother-in-law. She also had influence in her brother Yago’s region. But she has a region of her own now, and is no longer a Di Coteau… she is General Ysabel Clarion now. Perhaps I should write her too, a congratulatory note or something. After all, I represent her son… in any case I was right about where Damien is going at least. Hopefully he buys that I’m an acceptable steward for now… who knows how long this mission could take.

“I’ll have a messenger readied for the Clarion estate immediately. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.” Without even acknowledging Luca’s response, Damien Di Coteau swiveled on his feet and walked from his position halfway across the room past a nervous Eamon and out the door.

After dismissing Eamon and collapsing back into the huge chair, Luca breathed a sigh of relief. He had met with his highest dignitary to date, and not been mocked, threatened, or taken for weak. That was a relative success, and General Damien was probably one of the more trying men that I’ll meet… maybe I can do this.

***

 

The next morning, Jezebel slinked through the halls of the Di Coteau manse in maroon sheer silks that covered everything and nothing at the same time. Her most delicate areas were covered with more opaque material, but she still looked ever the part of the seductress, and this was her interpretation of armor. When Jezebel battled, she did not wear the mail or plate that her cousins donned. Arriving at the heavy doors to the general’s office, Jezebel ignored the protests of the guard that was telling her she needed an appointment. She pushed open the doors and saw the tiny pale creature that she had once tortured seated at the huge black desk of this estate. I should be there, not him.

“Hello Luca,” she purred. The boy glanced up from a letter he was writing, and crossed his hands. His face went blank, and he betrayed no emotion at seeing her.

At least he can compose himself… I wonder where he was trained. Jezebel looked for tiny tells in his musculature, small facial twitches or anything that would give away the fear that she hoped to inspire. After almost thirty seconds of staring, she came up with nothing. Eventually, Luca broke the silence.

“Travel safely.”

Jezebel’s nostrils flared and she grew annoyed. How dare this little fuck speak out of turn?! He’s… he’s the steward. In that moment, Jezebel realized two things. The first was that Luca was sitting with his chest puffed out slightly, the pin on it shining with a dignity that proclaimed him steward for one of the generals of the thirteen. Secondly, Luca had been studying her just as well as she had been studying him. There had been a silent war for power going on, and it was over before Jezebel had even known it had begun.

My nostrils flared… I caved to feeling first. Jezebel flew to instant rage, and struggled to maintain herself. When she looked closer, she noticed one corner of Luca’s lips upturned, the faintest hint of a smirk dancing about his face. He knew that she noticed, and it turned up just a fraction more. At that, she screamed aloud.

She turned, walked out of the room, and slammed the door.

We’ll see how long my cousin’s name can protect you. In the office, Jezebel knew that Luca was smiling with the satisfaction of having not been intimidated by her presence. Frankly, she had been caught off guard at the fact that he knew how to play her game. But Jezebel remembered that she had once poured a poisonous acid on his chest, and watched it eat through layers of tissue and muscle.

I look forward to doing that again.

***

Alexandre knew that he was just two territories over from Tomacia, but still couldn’t help feeling the anxiety that grew with every step of his journey. His company had traveled southwest for a while, passing down past Mullansburg, through his Uncle Damien’s territory, and now approached the lands of Devan Di Coteau. Of his family, Devan was the one he knew the least. Though they had met when he was younger, he couldn’t recall much about the man. What he knew came from informants, word of mouth, and popular stories.

Devan Di Coteau was an extremely paranoid man, and was always dressed for combat. He had taken three wives and two husbands, all politically motivated and never meant to last. In the end, each one of them had been accused of cheating, challenged to a death match, and killed. One wife was supposedly just beaten to death in her own home, but the incident had later been declared a sanctioned death match. He once had a daughter, but she had perished in mysterious circumstances as well. In his efforts to preserve himself and only himself, Devan Di Coteau employed a strict guard service at all times, and borders to his lands were the most heavily patrolled of any in Nabius. Alexandre had often wondered how the slaving business had gotten through and around his Uncle’s borders, and was interested to see how. In fact, he felt now was the time to ask.

Of course, all of the routes that he and his company had taken thus far were incredibly interesting. Alex had no idea that so many passageways and unmapped trails existed throughout Nabius, and his captors, now captives, had shown many to him on their travels. This hadn’t been by choice.

“You.” Alexandre pointed to one of the three guides that they had spared, and beckoned. The group was stopped in a small woodland clearing, taking a break for food. The days were growing shorter, and colder, and Alexandre wanted to know exactly what the plan was before it started getting dark. That meant just a few hours were left.

“How do we get across Devan Di Coteau’s borders undetected?” Alexandre felt that the question was simple, but knew that it would take pressing to get answers. Even though he held the slave transporters captive, it took a lot to get them to reveal their trading secrets. Luckily, Alexandre had a secret weapon.

“I… I – sorry sir, I just can’t tell you that kind of thing, it’s a tough business to keep going and the general is – “

“I know exactly how he is.” Alexandre had interrupted the slaver, and was on the verge of rolling his eyes. No matter how much these guides resisted, Alexandre didn’t understand why they didn’t realize that they weren’t going to make it out of this situation alive. It’s not like their trade secrets would help others in the business after their death, or like the pathways Alexandre had been shown would stay open anyway. “Talia,” he called.

Alexandre’s sister walked over to her brother, all smiles and pointedly fixated on the man that Alexandre had been questioning. “Yes?” she asked sweetly.

“I’d like to know how the slavers plan to get us across Uncle Devan’s territory, but as usual…”

“He won’t tell. Right.” Talia approached the man slowly, and gave a devilish grin.

For some reason, the three slavers that Alexandre’s company had kept alive as guides all seemed terrified of Talia. When the group had first started out, Alexandre took them to a familiar tree that indicated where slavers would lie in ambush for unsuspecting travellers. Talia had been sent down the path where she would gather their attention, inconspicuously armed to the teeth. As expected, she was taken to an operations tent where she would likely have been logged as a slave meant to go to the sex industry. The plan had been to follow her, storm the operations location, and leave just a few alive to act as guides. When Alexandre, Carlisle, Barclay, Roark, and Mikhail stormed in after, they found the tent full of dead bodies and three bound slavers. In a flurry of steel and flying knives, Talia had taken them all out except for their current guides. He wasn’t sure what they had witnessed, but ever since, all three looked at Talia with a great depth of fear in their eyes.

“Answer the question,” she said softly. She rubbed a gentle fingertip across the man’s cheek, and he quivered.

“I – I – alright. Well, w-what we usually do is have the slaves dressed as prisoners. We have a contact…”

“And what does this contact do?”

“Well, there are internment zones dotted all along the border… we take the prisoners, get them into there, and he releases them at night. Then we regroup and reclaim them for travel through the actual countryside.”

Alexandre paused for a minute. “I see… but in order for that to work, you have to tell your man who to release, and when. That also would require us to hand over all of our arms… that’s not happening.”

“We could always break out, Alex. Getting in is the harder part, and we’ll still be with the slavers for that bit. Mikhail can get through the border the regular way with all of our stuff as a salesman, to keep an eye on the slavers.” Talia cut eyes at the man, and then looked back at her brother.

“Is that the only route?” Alex looked at the slaver, who nodded. He was too scared to be lying. Just then, Carlin had joined the conversation. He put a hand around Alexandre’s shoulders, and it rested happily there.

“So we go completely unarmed, unarmored, get thrown into a prison owned by one of the most paranoid men in the country, and are expected to break out with almost a guarantee that this man’s contact won’t help us?”

Alexandre sighed, and looked at the people before him. “I’m not sure we have much of a choice.”

Carl laughed, and shook his head. Talia absentmindedly said something about it being fun. Alex knew that it would have to be done in order to move covertly, but sickening flashbacks of his last experience with the underground slave trade haunted him.

I’m getting captured again. We all are.

Copyright © 2016 VVesley; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Luca seems to be living up to Alex's expectations very well despite the contrast between his diminutive stature and that huge desk. He skillfully managed Damien and outmaneuvered Jezebel. but she is a snake to be watched. Now Alex and his group are about to revisit his greatest trial and fear unarmed. I'm looking forward to how you guide them through it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It seems somewhat unbelievable that Luca could be equipped to deal with the likes of the Generals of the 13 or many of the other characters we have met. with the turn of events which has the demon/ysabel in charge of one of the 13 now, I have to question what he'd do if she and her brother came to take over the estate? This just seems really risky for Alex to not at least leave Talia in charge. His position was still a bit precarious in that I am sure someone could challenge him at this time, so it seems crazy to do this in this moment. Now, they are depending on some scheme by the slavers to get through? What about the underground routes? Well, this should prove interesting. I don't see how doing it unarmed is possible, but if anybody can, this group probably can. I had to laugh at the image of what they found when they entered the slavers headquarters and found Talia waiting with it all done. She's a piece of work.

I would have liked to see Alex and Carlin touch base after he surprised him with the plan. What did Carlin think of it? Did Alex and he have a heart to heart? Things had been so strained between them that I was hoping to see them interact a bit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Trying to survive in the brothel has made Luca a master of self control and a quick-thinker. Seems those skills are coming in handy here. He has to watch his back though. Too bad Eamon is kind of icky and not a friend.

 

Alex's plan seems very dangerous, but if anyone can do it it's this group. I just hope Alex and Carisle can get some time together. I want them to reconnect.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I agree with Puppilull, Luca has had to wear many masks to satisfy the various clients of the brothel, Many were nobles or high ranked officials, some were dangerous and abusive. Learning to read people and conform to their expectations would have taught him some valuable skills he is able to apply now in his current position. Successfully dealing with Damien then Jezebel proof of his abilities, he will only get better as he gains in confidence and believes in himself. A real test would be having to face a visit from Ysabel.

I've seen Alex despatch three men whilst tied to a chair, the plan may sound a bit hokey, but I think they can handle anything that might come up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..