Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 3,215 Words
  • 168 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Of Pride and Power - 20. Chapter 20: “So much depends on reputation, guard it with your life.”

Mary had gained power with overwhelming force, but her position was not secure. She also had many enemies near and far, the Protestant nobles across the country were unhappy with her religion. Her choice of husband in Reginald Pole had also alienated nobles from various parts of Mary’s realm, especially Wales. Mary and Pole introduced a radical reform to return church lands, held by country nobles created by Henry VIII, and reverse the Wales Acts of 1542 and 1543, which brought Welsh equal legal standing to English, including in religious areas tied the Anglican church. As Wales was the original Lancastrian stronghold of Henry VII during the War of the Roses, along with his son Henry VIII's protestant reforms, it was considered a reward to be fully integrated on equal footing with England. These were far more severe actions than Mary I of my history undertook, creating disturbances and local instability.

In my era, issues from the American Civil War lingered two centuries after its official end, so it wasn’t a hard sell for the Welsh to believe the reversal of their equal rights came from a Yorkist-Catholic conspiracy, despite the land reversals on former church lands and religious heresy laws being implemented across all of Mary’s lands. Lack of transparency and human individualist focus allows for conspiracy theories to fester. In addition, the villainous actions of the last Yorkist king Richard III were already widespread at this time from his usurpation to the murder of his nephews, the famed Princes in the Tower. As Henry VII and Henry VIII had already done the handy work of creating a villain through official histories that would have become the basis for plays later, propaganda and message control was simply a matter of using current perception. Like 21st-century information warfare, a few well-placed stories can do more than an army of millions.

In terms of the Protestants, an interesting encounter occurred in the Tower of London, where I was nominally under house arrest. Thomas Crammer, after being captured, tortured, and sentenced expediently by Papal authorities in London for disobedience, treason, and heresy had tried his recanting trick to absolve his penalty of execution as he would have attempted in 1556. However, knowing what would happen in history, canon law had been revised earlier to deny heretics' absolutions through recantation, allowing Mary to execute him with no chance of appeal. He was going to be executed at Tower Hill by the traditional penalty for high treason: hanging, drawn, and quartered rather than burning for heretics. The night before Thomas Crammer’s execution, his tongue was to be removed, so he could not make his famous declaration during the public execution. Mary wanted to leave no room for martyrdom, but I had other plans.

Robert and I made our way to the cells of the Tower, which were used for condemned prisoners. These were similar to the prison cells that you would imagine in Medieval fantasy stories with stone walls, iron doors, and small fist-sized windows to prevent escape. There were only two guards at the cells, who were not expecting any resistance. Before their meal break, we added some chloral hydrate, known as slipping a mickey in the 20th century, to their wine, so we could easily enter the cell. Thomas Crammer was barely conscious of the painful tongue extraction he underwent with blood dripping from his mouth. Robert pointed to the piece of blackening meat that used to be Thomas Crammer’s tongue on the floor.

For the next five hours, Robert and I performed a tongue revascularization. I felt sort of like Pharma Medici from the manga Parallel World Pharmacy, using medical knowledge and a diagnostic eye to guide my magically imbued partner in advanced surgery. Using the formulas to create topical anesthesia for Thomas Crammer, the pain in his mouth lessened as we re-attached his tongue. While neither of us had surgical experience, I did possess surgical knowledge and Robert’s ability was better than a laser scalpel. I guided him to create Vicryl sutures along the points of attachment while telling him which areas had necrotic tissue that needed his ability to repair on a molecular level. He was the driver, and I was his GPS-assisted navigation system with alerts and notifications. We were exhausted when the surgery was completed, the manga made this seem so much easier, but then again, Pharma was a clinical pharmacologist before he reincarnated in the manga with a medical education.

Thomas Crammer began to speak after the topical anesthesia began to wear off, “You…you gave me my tongue back, Duke Eli and Lord Robert. What reason do you have to help me in such an extraordinary way? I am a condemned man both in this life and the hereafter. The Church, the Pope, and your sister have shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that they possess the might of God on their side.”

Despite being exhausted, I began my mind-link with Thomas Crammer. I showed him everything I showed John Knox and also showed him images of the advanced weapons of war that existed in one possible future of humanity. I revealed to him the source of the divine strength was not in some imaginary lord in heaven, but the accumulation of knowledge from humanity over centuries. I also showed him the advances in medicine that allowed us to reattach his tongue, the reduction of pain, and the amelioration of suffering of millions, brought about by similar accumulation of knowledge.

Thomas Crammer questioned me, “If all these visions are true, and Heaven is out of reach, what then do mortals strive for? Why continue to fight or persevere when there is no hope for salvation?”

I was fading into unconsciousness at this time as my energy was exhausted from the use of my abilities, but I replied to his query, “For each other, we strive for humanity.”

As usual, I fell into a deep sleep upon using my mind-link ability, so Robert carried me back to our apartment in the Tower. I missed the execution of Thomas Crammer, but Robert told me it was a major spectacle. Stephen Gardiner did not know we had reattached Thomas Crammer’s tongue, so he was expecting him to remain mute when he asked Thomas Crammer if he had any last words.

Instead, Thomas Crammer delivered words that shall resonate in many minds for centuries to come, "People of England, I stand here condemned for a great crime against Queen Mary and the Catholic Church, yet I declare that my loyalty lies not with temporal rulers but with the ultimate sovereign—the truth. Mary, by what right do you claim to rule? Is it by divine ordination, or by the blood that stains your hands? A ruler who wields power through fear and persecution cannot truly claim the divine right to govern. To the Catholic Church, the bastion of earthly authority, I declare that the Pope, who claims to be the representative of Christ, is, in truth, the harbinger of deceit. The papal throne shelters the Antichrist, and the Church, once pure, has become corrupted by the pursuit of worldly power. Let the truth be known, even if it costs me my life. Humanity is not bound by the chains of religious dogma. We are free beings with the right to live, love, and exist without fear of persecution. Let individuals choose their faith, their love, and their path without interference. Those who fall last now shall rise to be first!”

Though he was executed, his last words did as I had hoped and much more to strike at the heart of Mary’s legitimacy to rule, the church’s authority in England, and advance the concepts of a new theological and philosophical shift. Thomas Crammer was considered one of the chief martyrs during the Marian persecutions in my original history due to John Foxe’s Book of Martyrs, so it was a worthwhile effort despite how little time he had left.

While Mary’s reputation was getting worse, my reputation began to climb in comparison, especially when I openly challenged Queen Mary and King Consort Reginald Pole on the issue of their legal and land reforms. As a member of the royal family, I had to attend the marriage ceremony of Queen Mary, so I and Robert were released from the Tower under guard to be part of the marriage procession. Thousands of people from all over England, Wales, and Ireland, and even foreign dignitaries from Spain, France, and Scotland came. After Mary and Reginald's marriage ceremony, members of the processions all gave well wishes to the new King consort and Queen. However, when it was my turn to deliver well wishes, I broke with decorum and brought up subjects that no one would dare address.

“My Dearest sister, Queen Mary, and my honorable brother-in-law, King Reginald,

I approach you with the utmost respect and affection. It is with a humble heart that I wish to express my thoughts on matters of great import to our shared realm.

Your unwavering commitment to matters of faith is both admirable and resolute. The religious landscape of our kingdom has indeed undergone profound changes under your wise guidance. The paths we choose in matters of religion are deeply personal, and I trust that your intentions are guided by a sincere desire for the spiritual well-being of our subjects.

As I reflect upon the recent policies regarding land grants and the equal standing of all our subjects, I am reminded of the delicate balance we must maintain between tradition and progress. The strength of our realm lies in the unity and prosperity of all its regions, and the thoughtful consideration of these matters is crucial for the harmony we seek.

May your wisdom and grace continue for the welfare of this beloved realm.

Humbly, I, Elias Tudor Duke of Somerset, Gloucestershire, Devonshire, and Cornwall submit these thoughts along with well-wishes for your blessed union.”

Mary's disposition became livid with my words, her soldiers positioned on both sides of me were readying for her command to remove me from her presence. I had committed a major breach of royal and marital protocol by introducing counsel counter to Mary’s policies in front of her court and most of the nobles in her realms. Elizabeth never made such a provocative move in history; I was risking a lot to establish this distinction from Mary.

Before Mary could send me away, Stephen Gardiner, newly appointed Archbishop of Canterbury and Chancellor to Queen Mary spoke, “We shall take good counsel and well-wishes into consideration, your Grace. However, heretics have only one fate, no matter what words they speak.”

Considering his demeanor and words, I posited, “Archbishop Gardiner, might I propose that excessive severity could inadvertently drive those who question our doctrines further away? The teachings of our faith emphasize the transformative power of good works and charitable deeds. Perhaps a demonstration of Christian kindness could be a more effective means of guiding the lost back to the path of righteousness.”

Stephen Gardiner countered sternly, “While good works have their place, we cannot allow ourselves to be swayed by notions that compromise the purity of our faith. We must uphold orthodoxy and defend the Church against the insidious threat of heresy. The Great Chain of Being is a cosmic order established by God Himself. It outlines the hierarchy of all creation, from the lowest forms of existence to the divine. At the pinnacle of this order is God, followed by the celestial beings, monarchs, nobility, commoners, and so forth. Each link in this chain is interconnected, and obedience to one's rightful place is paramount for the preservation of divine harmony. Our duty to the Church is integral to maintaining this order. Obedience to the Church is not just a matter of religious duty; it is a crucial aspect of upholding the divine order, maintaining man’s link to God through obedience.”

Stephen Gardiner is the archetypical religious conservative, emphasizing concepts of purity, obedience, and order without questions on purpose or limits, because, in his worldview, it is how reality is maintained. The Great Chain of Being was a medieval concept that very few Christian denominations believe in anymore, but at one time, it was the basis for every authority and hierarchy in society. It was the western version of Indian Karmic castes, essentially people are where they are due to God’s command, and no one should seek to break from their lanes or else they may disrupt harmony. In truth, what disruption did was threaten the top of social orders like nobles and kings. During the age of revolutions in the 18th and 19th centuries, then again during the communist revolutions during the 20th century, disruptions of the order meant kings and elites were removed. Men like Stephen Gardiner used God to hide their insecurities about their positions.

However, saying all that he did, in front of Protestant and non-English nobles offered few favorable opinions for himself or Mary. Even among Catholic nobles, the strict counter-reformation positions he was taking would alienate many of them, who enjoyed their indulgences, or free passes for sinful acts, after taking more crops than they were owed or raping their tenant farmer’s daughters or sons. While I had no love for the English nobility, who committed those misdeeds, I do understand some of these nobles had sensitive positions.

Before I could speak more, Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk and father to my ward Frances Howard, spoke up, “My friends and esteemed colleagues at court, It is clear that we are passionate about matters that weigh heavily on our hearts and minds, but let us not forget the importance of reasoned discourse and unity in the service of our Queen.”

King consort Reginald Pole took the opportunity at moderation, “Yes, let’s return to lighter matters such as my beloved wife and our new union,” glancing at Stephen Gardiner, “We can discuss weighty matters later, my dear Archbishop.”

Stephen Gardiner bowed and retreated to stand beside Queen Mary, while Robert and I returned to our place in the wedding procession. Everyone attempted to offer best wishes and congratulations as normal, but there was almost no formality or flowery language in the later deliveries. While Mary’s most trusted advisors and dependent nobles glared at me with scorn, including Duchess Jane Dudley, I was greeted warmly by many others. After the marriage ceremony was completed, I was not escorted back to the Tower as I expected, but instead, the guards guided me into a private chamber, where Thomas Howard awaited.

Thomas Howard is a very complex figure in English history, being a Catholic and loyalist to Henry VIII, including being one of the primary architects in the divorce of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon thus forming the church of England as a result. In theory, Mary I should despise Thomas Howard just as she did Henry Grey and others, who deprived Mary and her mother of their positions. However, even in history, Thomas Howard was a political operative with a hand in each pocket, he was in constant contact with Catholic leaders and Mary throughout the years, attempting in vain to marry her off, while stemming the Protestant tide against men like Thomas Cromwell and Thomas Crammer. Additionally, his family’s wealth and military prowess granted him special consideration after years of service. In more recent events, he also led the military forces of Mary in the last year after she secured London and freed him from the Tower. He assisted her in the arrest of several Protestant nobles, including Thomas Crammer, John Foxe, and Thomas Wyatt. If history had continued as it would have, he would have died the next month due to an unspecified chronic illness.

Robert was directed to wait outside the room along with the soldiers, while Thomas Howard and I would meet alone. After we were alone, a fit of coughing began to take hold of Thomas Howard that persisted for around ten minutes. Then, the room was engulfed in an awkward silence, while heavy breathing could be heard.

Thomas Howard broke the awkwardness, “If only you were born a true male heir, then none of this would have happened. So many wives, so many lives wasted for nothing except men’s foolish ambitions. Your father and I share that same stain on our honor.”

Picking up on his unspoken words relating to Frances, I asked him, “Frances is my ward, would you like to see her?”

He laughed and coughed, “Oh, my dear daughter, I cannot see her. For all the pain and pleasure her mother brought me, I should not. Did you know I killed her mother, too? Yes, it was my fault for wanting a son that killed Bess. Henry, my first son, and Thomas, my so-called namesake, were born from the bastard blood of Ralph Neville. Lady Stafford betrayed me while I was on campaign. That was why I needed to avenge myself on her. Sadly, I could not expunge the bastards without revealing my shame.”

Francis had told me as much about his second wife’s background, but I did not expect him to confess his crimes to me. I am not sure how this stuff should work in English law at this time, since adultery was a major offense, especially against women as Anne Boleyn’s example of being beheaded can attest. The background of Thomas Howard’s crimes was complicated with wrongs committed by various parties and a terminally ill murderer. In my prior life, he should be brought to justice for murder and adultery would not be a mitigating defense, or it shouldn’t be, but one of many ugly truths was that men believed themselves the owners of women and their progeny, so a legal system made under the notion to protect “men’s rights to property” was biased to such arguments. I wouldn’t grant him absolution, but I could offer one thing.

“After you die, I will tell Frances what you told me, it will spare her some tears for you,” I coldly addressed Thomas Howard.

He smirked, “Perceptive and understanding as your father, I can see why they fear you will take the throne someday away from Queen Mary. The old girl doesn’t have the temperament to rule. This marriage to a York descendant was a bad idea from the start as I know firsthand from my first wife Anne. I do not foresee any progeny from that union, like my own. After my oncoming death, Gardiner, Pole, and the Queen will no longer have moderation in their actions. Their reign will be bloody and your judgment against them will be swifter than the wars of your grandfather. When you strike them down, do not show any mercy, let their blood satisfy the mob. For my house, leave none of the rotten core to corrupt your reign intact. None of those carrying my name are of my blood, except Frances. Treat her well and be better for her as I release you to return to your lands. That is all I wish to say to you, my Grace and the future Sovereign of this realm.”

We left London on the day of Mary’s marriage ceremony and made our return to Hatch Beauchamp Manor.

For additional thoughts, take a look at chapter Blog:
 
Copyright © 2023 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Just a place for readers to ask questions, ponder alt-history in this universe, and have fun. Not sure if I have a lot of readers in this alt-history 16th-century English setting novel or not, but I thought I'd open it up for discussions. Eli is not Elizabeth I, nor a true male heir, but it plays out with interesting what-ifs based on history. An intersex/non-binary standpoint is something new for me to write, so I appreciate it if any NBs want to point out things to me for improvement. I'v
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 2/13/2024 at 9:48 PM, drsawzall said:

Thomas Howard seems to realize the error of his ways...as he nears the end of his life...

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.

I always loved the ending of the Tudors, when Henry VIII had to face his internal demons for everything he did throughout his life for his vanity, his ambition, and his power. To me, a contemporary who was just as guilty of everything that happened during that time frame like Thomas Howard represents a kind of reflection on that era in English history. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..