Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    W_L
  • Author
  • 3,724 Words
  • 195 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Of Pride and Power - 42. Chapter 36: “Despise the free lunch”

In the winter of 1570, as the issues of the rebellion and Thomas Radclyffe simmered, Henri de Lorraine, the new Duke of Guise, arrived at my royal court in Bristol. In my timeline, he would become one of the main claimants to the throne of France, alongside Henry Valois and Henry Bourbon. This civil war in my timeline was aptly named the War of the Three Henrys for its three combatants, though the name did little to capture the complex sides involved in the struggle. Henri de Lorraine was nominally allied with Henry Valois, known as King Henry III of France, during the internal conflicts between Protestant and Catholic nobility. However, he was secretly gathering military and noble support for a coup, sponsored by the Habsburg family. Henri de Lorraine was also an enemy of the Medici, as his lineage connected him to the House of Borgia, a rival Italian family steeped in power politics within Rome. His opposition to the Valois was later cited by scholars as an example of the corrupt nature of nobility and religious beliefs during this era.

In our timeline, events began differently, but the outcomes were the same. The Medici family, with their wealth and ties to the Holy See, ensured that Henry Valois could always rely on his Italian relatives and his uncle, Pope Peter II, along with a massive Eastern European bloc of allies from his position as King of Poland-Lithuania. As members of the Corporate Consortium—a faction created by Jack in my timeline to counterbalance nation-state-backed factions—the Medici family likely assumed their earlier betrayal could be forgiven. A marriage proposal to Jamie seemed like the perfect solution.

Simultaneously, the Guise family needed a new power base after their defeats against England and the fall of the Scottish monarchy. They hoped to create a schism between the Medici family and Henry Valois, aiming to install a new puppet ruler in France by supporting this marriage proposal. Catherine de' Medici was known to be fiercely opposed to normalizing relations with England. Through spies in the French royal court, the Guise knew of Catherine’s covert efforts to assist Thomas Radclyffe and the Russian Empire in their failed coup attempt. However, they did not realize that the marriage proposal was not initiated by Henry Valois himself but was orchestrated by Pope Peter II and the Medici family. Although this proposal did not weaken Henry’s ties to the Medici Papacy, it strained the Medici family’s relations with Catherine. Francis learned that Pope Peter was angered by her involvement with the Russians in the failed coup against my family, as it directly affected the Habsburg-Roman alliance. Catherine’s involvement in the Russian affair was known not only to Rome and our spies but also to the Habsburg Empire under Uber-Kaiser Philip, who began reaching out to powerful non-aligned families in France, including the Guise.

Philip was never friendly with Henry Valois and unlike his father, Charles, never saw Pope Peter II as someone he could work with long-term. Additionally, the Russian threat on his eastern front was mounting exponentially. In addition to the Russian Baltic fleet and a phantom legion’s assault on London, another Russian attack occurred in 1569 against the city of Constantinople, the gateway city to the Eastern Mediterranean, and the entire Balkan peninsula, including Eastern Orthodox Romania, Macedonia, and Greece. Russian forces defeated the Habsburg Mediterranean fleet and Balkan armies. Using asymmetric bombing from the destructive firepower of Habsburg Sky Fortresses, the Russian forces were stopped in their advance along a front between Belgrade and Sarajevo with heavy losses to their phantom legion. Philip demanded reprisal assaults be launched from Poland-Lithuania to recapture the lost lands in the Balkans, but the Polish-Lithuanian army did not want to leave the Russian frontier due to fears of a similar attack. As king of that nation, Philip held Henry Valois responsible for his losses to the Russians and supposedly called him a sissy who would offer his ass for the Russians if asked. This further worsened their relations.

As a result, unknown to Henry III, the Guise under Henri de Lorraine had acquired German and Spanish support through the Habsburg, offering international resources and a technologically advanced military. Though the Habsburg Empire were nominally allies, Philip was too bombastic in diplomatic affairs for the Medici-backed Papal Rome to navigate, along with an unhealthy bout of homophobia from my era against the titular king of France Henry III.

The accelerated breakdown of the alliance between Rome and Aachen was not an organic process. Francis had spent the past decade sowing discord between these nations, drawing on what he observed in Spain, France, and the Low Countries. This disintegration and the rising factionalism within France would eventually lead to a French Civil War in 1573—twelve years earlier than in the original timeline, when it erupted in 1585.

Amidst the growing tensions between the former allies, a subtle and silent third rival for the French throne emerged. Henry Bourbon, a longshot claimant in both timelines, had only the limited resources of Navarre and what support I could spare from England’s territories. Despite these odds, Henry was not idle. He had been studying statecraft at my royal court ever since Francis returned from Navarre. During this time, Henry acquired many advanced skills that would serve him well against such powerful opponents as the Valois dynasty and the Habsburg military juggernaut.

Henry Bourbon also had secret support. Southwestern France, a stronghold of the infamous Cathars—a faction originating from Merlin—was quietly building forces to rebel under Henry's banner. Unlike the Huguenot Protestant faction, these Cathars would become Henry’s greatest asset in the coming war for succession. Although their forces were inferior to those of either the Valois or Habsburg factions, the grinding nature of attrition proved to be a great equalizer.

With such context, my first interaction with Henri de Lorraine was not simple. My first impression of Henri de Lorraine was that of a pretentious young man. At just twenty years old, Henri dressed in fur and jewels, traditional for nobles, but I could discern that these were no ordinary adornments. While we were advanced in industrial technologies, other nations also had sophisticated manufacturing capabilities. The Habsburg Empire, for instance, had been developing wired communication networks, an air force, and railroads, outpacing England in heavy industry and infrastructure. Without Robert's assistance, my knowledge abilities, and Avalon’s advanced automated facilities from the late 21st century, we would not have been able to maintain a balance of industrial capacity to match theirs.

As for their junior partner, the Papal Roman state, and France under Catherine de Medici, they focused less on infrastructure and heavy industry and more on commercial industries, such as textiles and consumer goods. For example, during the era of Henry VIII, France developed a cape-like coat called a 'Casaque.' However, the design was inefficient in protecting against the elements. Through a series of rapid design evolutions, the Casaque transformed into the Justaucorps, a large overcoat with hand holes and wind fasteners. By 1560, the frock coat had been introduced, featuring an interior padding of cotton imported from Habsburg American plantations.

Most of these products were produced by the Guise family in the Lorraine region, which had commercial rail networks connected to German territories. The Guise family also imported industrial materials from English factories, particularly artificial rubber products essential for various machines. Due to the French internal railroad project, which Francis had reported on during his time in Navarre in 1554, they could easily import goods from French ports like Le Havre. Although Calais would have been a quicker transport route, the French royal court had excluded Calais and Picardy—regions under English control or influence—from railroad access. Consequently, the Guise family managed to establish one of the first international manufacturing networks with diverse foreign supply chains.

Between 1562 and 1563, we competed with France in mass production, using our chemical fabrics and England’s surplus of wool. However, this effort led to one of our first commercial failures. In terms of texture, animal skins and cotton were superior to polyester and wool. We sold only around 10,000 pieces—including coats, pants, gloves, shoes, and hats—out of a total production of 3,000,000. The English government, embarrassed by the failure, purchased the remaining surplus and altered the colors for military use, giving rise to the joke that the Royal Marines' uniform was "one size fits all and looks bad on everyone." As a result of this failure, Henri de Lorraine's luxury products became a stark reminder of English miscalculations and French ingenuity. It’s easy to see why he and Uber Kaiser Philip became friends, as both enjoyed flaunting their triumphs.

I sat upon my upholstered golden throne, with my beloved partner, Archduke Robert, standing by my side—his presence a pillar of unwavering support. Bristol Palace had been expanded over the past decade to serve as a secondary administrative center during wartime, so Robert and I had modified its structure to feature sharper angles and reduced visibility from the air. In addition to the new buildings, the old castle and fortress were preserved, with interconnected sub-basement levels added to function as bunkers during air raids. From the outside, Bristol Palace was designed to be functional rather than aesthetically pleasing, with few gardens or fountains, giving visitors an austere impression.

Henri de Lorraine, envoy of Henry III of France, entered with a demeanor that exuded practiced elegance and concealed intentions. He bowed deeply, his eyes betraying a flicker of calculation that did not escape me. He offered a marriage proposal, but beneath this diplomatic facade, I sensed a deeper, more insidious game.

"Your Majesty," Henri de Lorraine began, his voice smooth as silk, "I bring greetings from His Majesty, Henry III of France. He proposes a marriage between his house and yours, a union that would bring great prosperity and strength to both our realms."

I nodded, feigning interest, though my thoughts raced. Henri de Lorraine was no mere messenger. His allegiances were as complex as a labyrinth, and I knew well his ties to the Habsburg Empire. This proposal was not a simple gesture of goodwill; it was a move on the chessboard of European politics.

"An intriguing proposal," I replied, my voice measured. "Our son, Jamie, is not yet at the age to marry, though such an alliance could be beneficial."

Robert, ever perceptive, stepped forward. "But tell me, Duke Henri de Lorraine," he said, his tone courteous yet probing, "what assurances do we have that this union would serve the interests of both our nations equally?"

Robert and I had planned to play off each other, the classic good cop-bad cop routine.

Henri de Lorraine's smile did not falter. "My lord, the benefits are manifold. Not only would it secure a powerful ally for your house, but it would also create a bond that transcends the volatile politics of our time. As you have seen, there are many rivals, who covet the English throne from within and beyond your shores. France would offer a safe harbor by uniting our houses. As you know, King Henry III of France shares similar familiarities, but we lack your family’s capabilities for offspring. Such a union between us can solve both of our issues."

I could see Robert's eyes narrow slightly at the words of Henri de Lorraine, his mind working through the implications. He knew, as I did, that accepting this proposal could draw us into the web of continental intrigues. Yet, we could not afford to show our suspicions openly. My first thought based on his words, the marriage proposal made by Henri de Lorraine was an insult; it objectified Jamie and all omega males by extension just to our wombs for gay men. I had to remind myself that people during this era would try to equivocate omega males to females, it was just how they valued marriage. Partnerships were rare and love was usually only found in a fairy tale.

"As leaders," I said, leaning forward, "I and King Henry III of France must always consider the future of our people. The strength of such a bond is not merely in its initial promise but in its sustained mutual benefit."

Henri de Lorraine bowed again. "Of course, Your Majesty. We are prepared to discuss terms that would ensure a lasting and fruitful partnership."

As the discussions progressed, I found myself marveling at the layers of subterfuge and strategy that underpinned what seemed to be a straightforward proposal. Henri de Lorraine played his part skillfully, presenting a façade of sincerity while subtly steering us toward decisions that could weaken Henry III's position with Medici. These decisions included additional land grants to England along the traditional Norman coastline and exclusive rights to Channel taxes. Simultaneously, additional treaties were being negotiated by these discussions. Eddie, my ward and Edward Seymore’s youngest son, was brought in to help with these additional negotiations against this fox.

In the end, it was not simply a matter of accepting or rejecting a marriage proposal. It was a test of our resolve and our ability to navigate the treacherous waters of diplomacy. Henri de Lorraine was like a snake, one I had to be very wary of. The marriage between Jamie and Henry III did not progress beyond mere proposals, but a secondary proposal, involving the eleven-year-old François, Duke of Anjou and brother of Henry III, seemed far more promising. Henri de Lorraine's revised plan was to arrange a meeting in England between François and Jamie, allowing them to acclimate to each other. Given that François was the heir presumptive in the likely event of Henry III's death, it could still result in a marriage to a French monarch. However, despite the advantageous terms, we hesitated and suggested scheduling several meetings between the two boys.

I knew from my timeline that François Valois had been considered a potential match for Elizabeth, despite their age difference. Reports of the boy in our timeline were far more favorable than those of Henry III, depicting him as a quiet, studious child with little ambition and a strong curiosity about animals. Based on these descriptions, he reminded me of Harry—just a bit more French.

As a result, two meetings were scheduled between François and Jamie. The first was set for June 19th, 1571, in England, on Jamie's fifth birthday. I didn't expect a five-year-old and a twelve-year-old to find much common ground, but I had higher hopes for Prince François and Will. However, after the first meeting at Beauchamp Manor, Francis was not keen on our son being involved with the "Frog" boy, a nickname François earned from the servants due to a particular incident.

While playing near the river, François taught Jamie, Will, and Francis Bacon how to catch frogs. Will repeatedly jumped into the river in vain attempts to catch frogs with his short seven-year-old arms, while Jamie, more cautious than his older brother, refrained from attempting frog-catching. Francis Bacon had to act as Will’s protector several times, rescuing my son from his overzealous frog-catching. The story of their competition did not endear François to Francis, though it did provide me with several laughs.

The final scheduled meeting between our families would take place in Paris on August 23rd, 1572—a date that would dramatically impact future Anglo-French relations and mark the beginning of internal troubles for Henry III's reign. I was aware of the significance of that date from my timeline, but even foreknowledge did not prepare us for what happened.

During these events, we were preparing Takechiyo for his return to Nippon. Avalon was rapidly producing firearms, artillery, and grenades with the help of drones. Takechiyo would travel from Newfoundland to Nippon via the Arctic Circle aboard an icebreaker core-powered dreadnought HMS Roch, named after St. Roch from my timeline. The original St. Roch circumnavigated the Arctic Circle from Vancouver Island on the west coast to Nova Scotia on the east coast of North America between 1940 and 1942. Most of those two years were spent mapping pathways through the frozen icefields. In 1944, a return trip to Vancouver Island took only 86 days, thanks to thorough mapping. I replicated this knowledge for my sailors.

The Habsburgs and Rome controlled the sea routes to Asia through South America and Africa, while the Russian Empire controlled the eastern Arctic, and Ming China controlled the land routes of Central Asia. The last unclaimed route to Asia lay within English territory, with the acquisition of Greenland, Iceland, and parts of Canada as colonial possessions.

Francis and Takechiyo spent most of 1570 at Avalon, working on various equipment and manufacturing techniques recommended by the Three-Sisters artificial intelligence programs running the Avalon base. I visited Takechiyo as often as I could during those two years, sharing my knowledge of Nippon’s history from my timeline, including upcoming battles and certain individuals to be cautious of. I particularly warned him about Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who was then serving as Oda Nobunaga’s General of the Right. I predicted that Hideyoshi’s ambitions would far exceed those of Nobunaga, who was content to eliminate Russian and Chinese influence in Nippon and Joseon.

I also used my mind-link ability several times to impart as much knowledge and military strategy as possible to Takechiyo. Although he would not have as many resources or a clear path to hegemony as I did, records left at Avalon indicated that hidden allies existed in Iga Province, similar to the fair folk at Cadbury Hill in Somerset. According to the Three Sisters, Merlin had left several clans with specialized knowledge and technology in the Far East for a future Omega ally, accessible only with specific codes and tokens from Avalon. Through my ability to access knowledge from my timeline, I researched potential allies hidden by Merlin, both historical and mythological. I was thrilled to discover that one group resided in Iga province. It was the homeland of the shinobi, a group I had idolized in my previous life. However, upon hearing of my enthusiastic discovery, Robert pleaded with me not to set foot in Nippon.

As preparations for military assistance and supplies continued, Takechiyo’s return to Nippon was further delayed due to his pregnancy. Although it was never officially acknowledged, I knew through my ability that the omega child was Francis’ son. Takechiyo wanted to name the boy Nobuyasu, but I warned him about the tragic fate of his historical counterpart’s son with the same name. Instead, he chose Fukumatsumaru as the child’s childhood name, who would later be remembered as Prince Tokugawa Tadayoshi.

There was debate about whether Fukumatsumaru should remain in England, but he was ultimately sent back to Nippon to be with Takechiyo and to establish a line of succession according to traditional noble etiquette. Although he did not become Shogun, since Takechiyo’s retainers favored his younger omega half-brother Tokugawa Hidetada instead, it was the best decision from a cultural and societal perspective. Nippon was not ready for mixed-race leadership despite our close ties. However, Tadayoshi was made overlord of Kanto, holding the old capital of Edo and Mikawa, Takechiyo’s ancestral homeland. In my era, Japan—Nippon’s future incarnation—was a nation rich in symbolism and allusions, and I had high hopes for the future based on these developments.

Succession issues were not unique to Nippon; they were equally pressing in my domain. After Harry's death, Jamie was elevated to the primary line of succession. The consequences of the 1569 rebellions in the north and Radclyffe’s coup, backed by Russian support, necessitated a purge of various posts and noble lands. As in my timeline, rebellious nobles were removed from their positions, and new nobles from their families—usually younger male secondary heirs or distant relatives—were elevated. Additionally, after the death of James Stuart, the Scottish heir to Queen Mary Stuart, the regency council added Jamie and me to their line of succession as the last remaining indirect descendants of Margaret Tudor, wife of King James IV.

Will should have been included in both the English and Scottish lines of succession. However, to English and Scottish legal scholars, he was considered a bastard, born outside of wedlock, despite the extraordinary precedent set by omega males. I couldn’t remedy this fact because polygamous marriage could not be enacted. Although I disliked the idea of wedlock determining inheritance, pushing my values would have had too many societal ramifications. Too many people had engaged in extramarital affairs over the decades, creating far too many competing claims to titles, property, and lands. One of the flaws in this ideology, which had been adopted throughout Europe and its offshoots, including my nation, the United States, was the inherent inequity faced by those born outside of primary wedded couples. In my timeline, where only men held rights and women bore children, such traditions would be maintained for centuries. It’s an ugly practice that I hope my descendants will one day abolish. In Nippon, polygamous inheritance and lines of succession were clearly defined by familial names and legal obligations through marriage contracts. I think Takechiyo did that upon reflecting on my messy situation.

Takechiyo's actions in Nippon are probably best told by him, though I’ve heard from Hidetada and Tadayoshi that he is documenting them in his own biography, much like I am. Consort William Adams offered to share my friend’s exploits through secondary sources, but I assume any chronicles that are published and translated—much like the scholarly chronicles being exported from Britannia—will be biased and incomplete. In our meetings over the years, Takechiyo never spoke about Nagashino or Sekigahara, just as I never spoke about Dover or the Battle of Nations. We spent our time together enjoying plum wine under the cherry blossoms or savoring a pint of ale while Bristol scored a goal. The reason we remain close friends despite the distance is likely due to our similar outlook if not similar methods. Having a soulmate like Robert over two lifetimes is the rarest thing in the universe, but having a friend who understands your struggles, and whom you understand in return, is also extremely rare. We enjoy the pleasures of hard-won peace but do not dwell on the battles that brought us here. That’s the reward of a good leader.

Copyright © 2023 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

25 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter.

Thanks for being a loyal reader

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I had to look up August 23rd, 1572, as the story stopped at that point in the info on France and the proposed marriage, and switched to Nippon.  Very interesting chapter indeed.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
W_L

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Nothing is ever simple or straightforward...is it????

Nope, diplomacy is the worst as diplomats are prostitutes for your country, but it's a cool part of history.

4 hours ago, VBlew said:

I had to look up August 23rd, 1572, as the story stopped at that point in the info on France and the proposed marriage, and switched to Nippon.  Very interesting chapter indeed.

European history and Asian history is fun during the 16th century,  there's tons of stuff. Glad you picked up on August 23rd 1572 Easter egg. Shh... 🤫

Nippon stuff is setting up a spin-off, if I decide to write it in this universe. Omegaverses don't usually do what I have done.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Al Norris said:

I love the way you tread through the histories.

I love European History, especially during the Early Modern Period. A lot of intrigue, plots, and complicated relationships. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..