Jump to content
    Xfighter1984
  • Author
  • 2,873 Words
  • 738 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragon's Roar - 2. Chapter 2

“Take me with you, I'm stronger now and with each passing day I understand more and more about my abilities,” Sune exclaimed. Walking through the gardens with his best friend Sune pleaded his case to follow his best friend to the ends of the earth.

“The Kingdom needs you here, Jin needs you here,” Levi held Sune’s hands within his own, smiling at his dear friend. “My mate will never admit it, but having you leave the Kingdom as well would make him feel even more unease than he already does,” Sune frowned, he knew Levi was telling the truth, it just was not what he wanted to hear.

“Losing my father was hard enough to deal with, I can’t sit around and lose my friend as well,” Sune stated as he stared out over the ponds in the courtyard.

“You don’t have to worry about me, I am more than capable of taking care of myself and Merlin is always by my side. Now, no more of this talk let us enjoy the day away from the peering eyes of the elders for once.” The friends embraced each other tightly, expressing how much each of them meant to one another.

Zephyr watched from afar as the blue and cyan dragons roamed. It was clear as day, he was observing the true heir to the throne, yet he allowed the Red of off dragons to rule. Maybe he was simply nothing of a toy for the cyan dragon and he would soon grow bored. Even as the thought passed through his mind Zephyr knew it to be untrue, the way those two looked upon one another and their energies calmed in each other’s presence was clear to all who had the sight.

“Whatever it is you are thinking, you should kill the thought before I kill you,” Zephyr stilled his wings, how was it possible someone could get so close without him noticing. Zephyr could read the wind in his wings, and subtle changes revealed the position of friend or foe but this copper dragon left no trace of disturbance. Zephyr slowly turned to face Vicky her wings enshrouding her like a cloak with only her gleaming eyes visible.

“I’ve done nothing of ill intent, I am simply here bothering no one,” Zephyr boasted, earning a narrowed look from Vicky, and just like that she was gone, as if she was never standing before him, to begin with.

“It’s nice to see you again Vicky,”

Vicky looked at Levi in shock, his tail was wrapped around her neck, even more, surprising was Sune, who had a claw of ice ready to ensnare and crush her head. She could feel the power radiating from his body and knew if he intended to kill, she would not survive.

“Vicky, you of all people should know you can’t trip up Levi and at this point it will be a cold day in hell before you can get the jump on me,” Sune smirked, reverting to a normal clawed hand.

Vickey gathered herself before pulling the two into a hug, it had been ages she had been able to let her guard down, she two felt at ease when she was closer to Levi and his presence now was more calming than she remembered. “I know what is being asked of you, please carry this burden until we can properly secure the kingdom,” Levi whispered to her as she held the embrace.

****   

“You want us to do what?” Bastion exclaimed, rising to his feet facing Jin.

“This is a matter of securing my Kingdom, I cannot let personal feelings weigh in on what is best. The sacrifice of a few will save many in the long run. I must use all assets at my disposal,” Jin responded firmly in his resolve. Bastion turned his gaze on all of those in attendance.

“You realize you have ordered the assassination of a clan elder, here in witness of the council? You have issued an assassination of the highest caliber, the shadow enforcer herself and twin sister to your Captain,” Bastion questioned.

“I am well aware of what I have done and as the duties of the council are absolute, they must remain silent in regards to a Royal Decree, are you questioning my decisions,” Jin raised an eyebrow as he looked down at the knight before him.

Bastion bowed before Jin, accepting the order. “As you command your highness, I have sworn allegiance and shall fulfill my duties with the utmost efficiency. I shall take my leave at once,” Bastion stood swiftly leaving the chambers, briefly locking eyes with Sage.

Murmurs filled the room as Jin sat back down upon his throne leaning back with his eyes closed. Sage eyed the room; his eagle-eyed precision captured the subtle command of the elder who had spoken out before only to be silenced by the tip of Jin’s blade. Their hunch had been correct but without solid evidence of a connection, the elder would simply deny involvement. Sage nodded to Vincent as he too left the chamber, they would have to be swift if they were to avoid true bloodshed within the court.

****   

“You scared me out there,” Jin whispered as he nuzzled his face in the crook of Levi’s neck, having had enough of the elders.

“Oh, the big bad red was scared for little ole me,” Levi teased, squirming in his mate’s arms. Levi’s expression fell when he laid eyes on his mate. “You were truly afraid for me?”

“I am king, but still new to all of this, there are those who are bitter they did not make the connection of your lineage sooner,” Jin stated, leaning against the headboard and pulling Levi’s back to his chest.

“You are king, no one can contest that fact any longer,” Levi reached back, stroking the side of Jin’s face. “Anyone foolish enough to challenge you for the throne will have to deal with us together.”

Jin smiled, his mate had grown stronger and more confident the longer they spent together the more he wished he never had to let go. Gone was the meek and mild manner drake of yesteryear and here was one of the fiercest dragons in the kingdom, strong enough to be by his side and reason enough for him to rise to the challenge of protecting all of their subjects.

“What are you back there musing about, it’s never a good thing when you go quiet for too long,” Levi let out a yelp as he was spun around finding himself pinned beneath his mate who feeling around searching for his prize.

“You will not always be by my side, but knowing you are always in my heart gives me the strength to face those old dragons. Now I am thinking we should soon visit Master Merlin again to see about making an heir to the throne,” Jin growled as he sank into the depths of his mate, his teeth barely scraping the soft flesh between Levi’s scales. Levi’s tail pulled Jin down hard as the two dragons moved in unison and everything around them melted away.

Levi walked into Merlin’s study, his hand gliding along the books remembering his early days in this place. Since accepting Jin as his mate and the coronation he had spent less and less time in the place he considers his home. A frown was etched on his face as he approached the gold dragon who appeared deep in thought surrounded by manuscripts and odd artifacts. “Master, what has you on edge,”

Merlin looked up at his disciple a small smile on his face before returning his attention to his work. “To be honest I expected them to make their move sooner, but to have possible infiltrated the council of elders does not sit well,”

“Could this be another of Morgana’s games? Stir up new distractions?” Levi questioned.

“Young master, remain on guard. Like the late queen, your mother you may be the target if they renew their attempt to bring our home under their rule.”

“Let them try, I am not to be taken lightly. I am the one who will protect our home.”

“Say things like that and the other drakes will start to think I am just a trophy husband,” Levi jumped as the solid red tail of his mate wrapped around his waist and Jin bowed before Merlin.

**** 

Jin held on to his mate as long as he could, there was no telling how long he would be gone, onlookers be damned he was sure to show his affection for his mate publicly. Jin followed his eyes with his mate chuckling to himself when Zephyr bumped into Levi. The old Jin would have made to tear the interloper apart at that very moment, but he knew his love could deal with the small fry easily should the need arise. Jin released a puff of smoke and turned back to deal with the chamber full of elders, ready to put this business of a traitor behind them with heads rolling.

“I don’t think we have the pleasure of meeting; I wish I had more time but I must be setting off soon,” Zephyr was broken from his stupor only to realize he was face to face with Levi and Merlin. He collected himself before addressing the dragons before him.

“The clan of the skies rarely hears of events in real-time due to the nature of our location, it would seem as though a lot has transpired since last; I visited the Capital.”

“Indeed, a great deal has changed, I apologize I do not have more time but I really must be off, Merlin if you would, we should set off,” Zephyr watched in awe as the two dragons vanished in a flash of light, a feat he could only speculate few were capable of.

It was almost inconceivable, if he hadn’t seen it with his own eyes and had the fortune of meeting the royal himself, he would have called anyone’s bluff. Zephyr shook his head, the image of those two dragons pulling the copper out of thin air, his mind could still barely comprehend. The stories he was hearing now sounded more plausible than ever, they had truly met the apparition dragon, Morgana, a name that was only spoken of in legend and they had pushed her back delaying her return.

Zephyr found himself lost in thought as he casually glided through the city streets, taking in just how much had changed. Despite recent events, the dragons who lived here seemed at peace, going about their daily lives with an air about them that hadn’t been felt since before the fall of the last royals. A glimmering blue dragon caught his eye as he flowed through the crowd, stopping occasionally to help someone or offer words of kindness.

Sune was well-loved in the Capital, he always had been with his playful personality, now many were aware that behind that brilliant smile was a dragon not to be trifled with. Zephyr, having lost sight of Sune, landed in the streets to see if he couldn’t spot him once more. He quickly stopped as he noticed the air around him dip in temperature, the streets which had seemed to be packed with others were now empty and silent. His wings outstretched, poised to alert of any movement in his direction.

“Many have underestimated me and paid the price,” Zephyr felt a cold chill along the back of his neck running down to the tip of his tail. He turned in the direction of the voice finding himself unable to move as his lower body was encased in ice. “I do not hold the fiery disposition as our leader.” The next moments found Zephyr disoriented as he now found himself beneath waves of water, unable to comprehend what was happening around him, the silhouette of a large dragon was enough to send Zephyr scrambling to the surface, breaking through the waves he found himself back on the city streets while other dragons eyed him strangely. He focused on the movement from the corner of his eye as he spotted Sune leaning against a wall with a smile on his face.

****   

“This one doesn’t quite feel right, it's different,” Levi addressed his master as they stood atop a volcano the heat was nothing but a cool summer breeze to the two dragons looking down into the boiling lava pools. Merlin placed his hands upon his disciple, Levi looked up at him as things became clear to him in his mind. Of course, the element of fire would be different, after all, there was a deeper bond with the element that was beyond his powers. Levi nodded at his master before descending into the earthly fires before him.

****   

“We finally have a chance to assert control over these pitiful excuses for dragons and the biggest thorn in our side is one of our own. You have real nerve showing your face here after having forgotten where you came from and what it is we stand for,” Jayce hissed as he stared the king of dragons down across the table.

“I’ve forgotten nothing, the needs of all dragonborne are far more important than the ideals of one clan. I cannot show favoritism, even if it involves my clan,” Jin retorted.

“That fairy of a dragon has made you gone soft, perhaps the one who is truly a kept beast is the former shell of a red wyvern I see sitting before me,” Jayce smirked, as the other red wyverns snorted in laughter.

Jin was up in a flash, Jayce pinned to the ground more weight was pressed down on him. “Say what you will about me, but no one dares to insult my mate in my presence and lives to see another day,” Jayce struggled to keep from crying out as Jin began to shift bringing the full weight of his draconian form down on him.

“You will not be able to face us all, you may be the King but we will not tolerate this brazen act of disrespect,” Jayce chocked out, feeling as though his bones would pop at any moment. It took the might of four wyverns to push Jin back allowing Jayce to get free, who immediately shifted to his draconian form. Strength above all else, it was what the clan of red wyverns had devolved to when his mother fell during the war. Violence was not the path Jin had been seeking, but it become the only way forward as he stared down the clan before him.

Even with his enhanced prowess, Jin could not face this many full-grown wyverns at once as he was forced to fight a defensive battle as each opening was covered by another snap of jaws or thrashing tail.

“It would seem you just are not up to the task, a pity that sword and the pretty dragon made the mistake of picking you,” Jayce bellowed with a toothy grin as the circle of wyverns closed in on the King. “Once you have fallen, we will take our rightful place and rule the kingdom with an iron claw,” The wyverns stopped their advance as Jin’s scales flashed a brilliant red and his body began to radiate a heat unlike any they had felt before. Jin took to the sky, a thunderous roar causing the wyverns below to step back. They looked on in awe as Jin appeared to grow in size and sprout another pair of wings along his back. His already formidable horns grew in size grown back before curving down and forward, the wyverns began to back in fear having witnessed nothing like this before.

“I am the king of dragons, a title entrusted to me by my mate, my jewel, and I have had enough,” releasing one final roar, Jin came crashing down into the earth like a giant meteor, sending the wyverns hurling away. Jayce now stood alone with no intention of backing down, might was right and the only way one should live. He charged at the King with all his might seeking to cause as much damage as possible while Jin was off balance. “Inconceivable” Jayce roared; the dust cleared as the reds lay witness to Jin holding Jayce back easily with Caliburn in one hand having reverted to his humanoid self.

“You will serve the Kingdom, or you will die,” Jin’s voice was calm but cut through sharper than any blade ever could, at least while Caliburn lay still. Jayce showed no signs of backing down or shifting back, he jumped back bringing his wing talons down to finish off the King in front of him. Jayce roared in pain as his wing now lay on the ground beside him, the force of the swing of Jin’s blade had left a massive scar on the earth below. “I would rather not kill one of my own,” Jin stated as he looked down at his claws seemingly overflowing with ethereal flames which burned so hot, they would flow into different shades of colors as they danced along his arm.

Copyright © 2021 Xfighter1984; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 9
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The other characters are stepping up to meet the challenges facing them. Jin is facing a serious challenge to his authority. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am intrigued by Zephyr. Why does he think he is the heir to the throne?  If he had any claim, it would seem that Merlin would know and at least acknowledge him.  It almost seemed as if Merlin doesn't even acknowledge his existence.  Sune seems to toy with Zephyr when Zephyr follows Sune.  I wonder if there is some sort of interest on either of them for the other.  Love the chapter.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..