Jump to content
    Xfighter1984
  • Author
  • 2,619 Words
  • 1,290 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragon's Roar - Prologue. Prologue

“I do not like it,” Jin scowled before turning his back to his mate. “Why does it always have to be you? Why do you have to be the one to jump headfirst into danger? I am the king, so I am supposed to be the one who protects the kingdom.”

Levi wrapped his arms around Jin, turning him around to face him and planting soft kisses on his mate. “You are the king. I know that you know that, and the elders and council need to know that as well, but this is something I must do to be ready to stand beside you and fight. I must master the power that dwells within me.”

“I have had it with these elders; you would think that after five years they would stop trying to imply you should be front and center. I have pushed myself to my limits repeatedly to prove myself, but all they see is someone who does not carry true royal blood,” Jin scoffed, attempting to shrug off Levi; however, his mate would not budge.

“You listen to me, we are a united front, and Caliburn accepted you as its owner bonding with you, which proves you are a rightful king. Ignore what they say as you are my King in here and out there.”

Jin embraced his mate, and their tails entwining as the words sunk in lifting him from his doubts. He knew Levi was powerful, bested only by Merlin, but with each passing moment and each new challenge, he continued to grow and adapt. “You are still a runt to me even if you can level half the kingdom with a single sneeze,” Jin joked. “Since you are planning to leave me to deal with these old goats, I order you confined to our bed chambers for the next few days.”

“Your wish is my command, your highness,” Levi teased as Jin swept him off his feet and into their chambers where he intended to spend the remaining time that he had left exploring every inch of his mate.

****   

“Enough!” Jin shouted slamming his fist down shattering the table in front of him. “You old fools talk in circles but say the same thing. My mate has his duty and destiny to fulfill, and I will not stand here and listen to you babble about him sitting on the throne.”

“You arrogant hatchling; the only reason you can sit there is simply...” the dragon stopped mid-sentence as a blade was pressed to his throat.

“Councilor, mind your tongue. Your words can be taken as treason, and I would be within my right to slay you here and now,” Vincent’s voice was calm and cold as he eyed the other members within the hall. Vincent spent the last few years honing his skills knowing that he needed to step up as Captain of the Royal Guard, a position he was tasked with by the late black dragon, Thade, and recommendations from the King.

“Stand down Captain, it was nothing more than a spirited debate,” the dragon croaked with the blade dangerously close.

“I take orders from only two dragons, one is before you, and the other is fulfilling his destiny, you have no right to speak with any authority to me,” Vincent growled.

“Captain, let him free, this meeting is adjourned,” Jin ordered. The dragons muttered as they were made to leave. A red wyvern leading them was not something all councilors agreed; some felt the power of the last of royal blood needed to be kept on a very short and tight leash.

“Nicely done my king,” Levi’s voice echoed in his mind. The one thing that he still was not quite accustomed was the mental connection the two shared and how strong and deep it had become. It was times like this where Jin truly appreciated being able to lean on his mate for the mental fortitude not to roast these dragons to ashes.

****   

Levi stood before a great pool of water. He could feel the magic resonating in the air and could swear that he could almost taste it. “Merlin, are you sure about this?”

“Of course, young master, as skillful as you are, you must have absolute dominance over the fundamental sources you wield. The power about to be unleashed are those no longer mentioned in our ancient text, but you must overcome this trial if you hope to have any chance should a fully restored Morgana returns.”

The water rippled as a brilliant blue dragon appeared from beneath the waves – Sune’s father. “It has been ages your highness, and I am glad to see you in good health. I have but one humble request, watch over my boy; he puts on a brave face, but I knew this day would be hard.”

Levi looked at him in confusion as Merlin stepped up to explain. “After the death of your parents, the previous holders of the seals waned in power as their connection was linked to your mother’s life force. Something very few knew was the source of your father’s power was in fact that of your mother; indeed, she was the jewel of the kingdom.”

“New connections must be formed with those of a new generation my child. One day, Sune will come to know his gift, but for now, you must hold dominance over this source. Goodbye, your grace, it was a privilege.” Sune’s father once again shifted to his great dragon form letting out a wail, as his lifeforce left his body, a large blue jewel floated above them. The jewel let off a brilliant burst of light before darting straight for Levi the energy fusing with his being.

Levi collapsed in pain. His world went black as the last words that he could hear were those of Merlin. “You must overcome and find the power in your blood.”

****   

Jin walked through the courtyard enjoying the precious moments to himself. Walking forward, he spotted Sune sitting on the edge of the lake; the normally energized drake looked terrible and in despair. “Why so blue guppy,” Jin teased approaching his friend.

“Destiny has begun to move forward, with it, the loss of one shall bring forth the birth of another,” Sune said solemnly looking out into the water. Jin sensed the hurt and simply sat beside him; the pain of loss was something he knew all too well.

“So, it has begun,” Jin stated. He looked up into the sky wishing he could be by his mate’s side. “Be strong my jewel, I refuse to let you leave me now,” Jin whispered. “Alright guppy, come with me, we have some old friends visiting the kingdom today, so I need you at your best,” Jin lightly slapped Sune on his back before jumping to his feet.

Sune smirked up at his king before taking the outstretched claw. “Here, I thought putting you in that big chair would level you out, alas, it seems to have made that big red snout even less tolerable.”

****   

“Sage, always a pleasure,” Sune smiled spinning the knight around in the air. “Oh, do not get your panties in a twist, there is plenty of loving for you, too,” Sune teased as he released Sage and proceeded to give Bastion the same treatment.

Sune looked at Jin and stated plainly. “Now that the pleasantries are over, it is as you suspected, the red wyvern clan, your clan, intends to insert themselves within the capital now that one of their own is on the throne. I will be honest with you, if their plans are left unchecked, there will be death and destruction living up to the reputation that your elders and council so greatly despise.”

“Right now! Their timing could not have been any worse. I already have the elders breathing down my neck, and they have been even more restless and insufferable since Levi left the kingdom.” Jin huffed his signature plume of smoke from his flared nostrils while beating his tail along the ground

“Wait a minute, Levi left?” Bastion looked up in surprise.

“Yes, it was something he felt deep within and of course confirmed by Merlin. It was a journey he needed to embark on.”

“Who knew of his departure,” Bastion questioned, a sudden unease taking hold of the group.

“No one except for the elders were made aware that Levi would be absent from the kingdom.” In a moment of clarity, Jin exclaimed, “I should have seen this coming; hell, Levi usually has a gut feeling for this kind of thing.” Jin froze as a chill ran down his spine realizing that the familiar presence of his mate in the back of his mind was no longer there. Jin frantically attempted to restore the connection when he felt his mind rebuffed as a sharp sensation coursed through his body.

“Your highness,” Vincent shouted rushing to his side catching the king as he fell to his knees unresponsive. “We must move. We cannot let anyone see the king in this state, and of utmost importance, the elders cannot get a word of this.

“Leave this to me,” Sage stepped up “I have picked up a few tricks recently,” Sage stated as he began the incantation for a mass movement spell.

“That would have been a neat trick to be aware of sooner,” Bastion said getting his bearings back after being transported outside the King’s chambers. The group carried Jin to his bed unable to rouse the dragon from his sudden slumber.

“Of all the times for something like this to happen,” Sune bemoaned. Suddenly, Jin’s body began to glow, and Caliburn appeared above. A flash of light rained down creating a barrier of protection around its owner.

“I would not touch that if I were you,” the group was startled as Vicky appeared from the shadows.

“Sis, as sneaky as ever these days,” Vincent teased as he sheathed his blade.

“As I was saying, we may not be aware of what caused the King’s sudden incapacitation, but we can rest assure that the royals have quite a few tricks up their sleeve,” she smiled.

“When did you gain so much knowledge?” Sage questioned, still unsure how he was unable to sense her presence at all before she made herself known.

“While my brother takes command from the front, I have mastered the craft of the shadows,” Vicky smiled. “Before you go jumping to the wrong conclusion, I am not referring to the darkness in any capacity, it is more of illusion magic.” Simply mentioning the darkness sent a chill through everyone present.

“Fear not young dragons, the King is safe. He is simply fulfilling his role in destiny.”

“Father,” Sune shouted. He had sensed that his lifeforce had faded, but clearly, his father was before them now.

“Fear not, destiny has begun to move forward. Soon, all will be revealed, be well my son.”

Sune’s father faded as quickly as he had come leaving more questions than answers as the dragons attempted to come to terms with what was happening around them. A knocking at the door brought everyone back to the present and the situation at hand.

“I apologize for the interruption your highness; the elders wish to resume talks and urgent matters regarding the rumored movement of the reds,” the emissary relayed through the door.

The emissary jumped back in surprise when the Captain of the Royal Guard stepped through. “Please advise the elders that the King will let them know when he is ready as they do not demand an audience at their convenience,” Vincent spoke exuding authority and confidence.

****  

“At last, you are awake.”

Jin spun in the direction of the voice; confusion set in as he laid eyes on a green light floating before him. Jin, made to reach out for the light guided by an unknown force, just as he made contact, he was surrounded by a brilliance of light forcing him to shield his eyes. Before the young dragon stood the late King Arthur in all his glory smiling down at him.

“I see my son has chosen well. Hear me, King of Dragons and Leader of the Red Wyvern clan, you must remain strong. You must become a pillar of hope; the sword of the kingdom and most importantly, you must become the shield of your jewel.”

“Shield of my jewel?” Jin asked in confusion. King Arthur let out a hearty laugh, which filled Jin with warmth and comfort that he had all but forgotten.

“I stand with you as the previous holder of Caliburn, trust in yourself, and trust in the court of your creation.”

“I do not understand. I want to be strong for everyone, but I cannot feel the one most important to me. I... My jewel.” Jin exclaimed.

King Arthur smiled as he watched the understanding and revelation come across the dragon’s face. “Let nothing keep you from your jewel for he is the foundation of all we hold dear,” King Arthur placed his hand upon Jin’s chest. “No power should ever make you doubt your true mate’s love; he was always your destiny, and you were always his.”

Jin awakened, startling all of those around him. He was in his chambers surrounded by those he trusted most but missing the one he cherished the most. As if knowing this was the very moment, Jin could feel his connection to Levi, stronger than it had ever been. Everyone rushed out to the balcony as a massive storm surrounded the kingdom. Walls of water higher than the eye could see surrounded the kingdom.

“Are we under attack?” Vincent demanded rushing into the King’s chambers.

“I do not believe so,” Jin struggled as his bond with Levi felt almost too much to bear. He knew that his mate had accomplished something. Sune let out a wail as light emanated from his forehead as a jewel as blue as the oceans formed. At that very moment, Merlin appeared before them placing around the group a barrier and a second one around Sune who let out another wail as his body overflowed with the element at his core.

Merlin’s eye shrouded in pure white as he recited an incantation. The dragons found themselves moved to an unknown location. Just as they landed, Sune let out one final wail shifting to his dragon state appearing much larger than ever before as a final explosive force left him alone inside a crater.

All around them, the storm began to calm as quickly as it has appeared; the pressure of their bond eased as Jin sensed his mate’s energy stabilizing yet overflowing. “Merlin, what in the seven kingdoms just happened?” Jin asked as they all looked down at Sune, who curled himself into a ball still in full dragon form.

****  

“I was too slow,” Mordred roared as the jewels before him shattered into dust. “The birth of the new generation has already begun; these gems mean nothing now.”

“Bring him to me.”

The echoed voice briefly startled Mordred as his son’s body spoke to him for the first time in years. “Ah, Lady Morgana, but who do you mean?” Mordred questioned as Morgana lazily floated towards him with her black ethereal wings shimmering in the light.

“The forgotten blood of a forgotten royal. They tried to hide him from me, but I have found him, and I will drain him of every ounce of power that he is unaware exists inside him.” Morgana let out a frenzied laugh as she overflowed with her reawakening power. “Let the games begin, and this time, victory will be mine.”

Copyright © 2021 Xfighter1984; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 9
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like the start. It immediately got me interested.  Although I have read the series from the beginning, I do find that I have forgotten enough details that I will have to go back and reread the stories again. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, raven1 said:

I like the start. It immediately got me interested.  Although I have read the series from the beginning, I do find that I have forgotten enough details that I will have to go back and reread the stories again. 

Finished catching up! Now to start here again. :2thumbs:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, raven1 said:

Finished catching up! Now to start here again. :2thumbs:

The prologue to Book II looks good!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..