Jump to content
    Zenith
  • Author
  • 276 Words
  • 4,996 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Winning the Lottery - 10. Cliffhanger resolved

Hello dear readers. Okay, I get it. You HATE cliffhangers.
So... this is the first few paragraphs of the next chapter published early, just for you!
The rest of the chapter will be published on Thursday. It still needs some editing.
I love all you guys. Thank you so much for your feedback.
Z

I won’t keep you in suspense. Our relationship was stronger than ever. We remained happily betrothed, we just hadn’t got around to setting the date. Derrick and his family kept every promise they’d made. Consistently supportive, never once did I hear a complaint about my long hours of study, my sojourn in LA, my tiredness or any other aspect of my training. In turn, I never complained. Every moment with Cass and Derrick was precious. Time spent in Derrick’s arms was a true refuge—stress melted away, and I felt as safe as I had the first time we’d embraced.

Being back home meant a ‘normal’ life. I had shift work, of course, and Derrick was often away days at a time, and Cass had study commitments, but we were a real family again. At least that’s the way I felt—I was no longer a ‘student’ but a real adult, working and contributing.

The first evening the three of us were together for dinner I dropped to my knee in front of Derrick. Offering up a silly, souvenir plastic airplane I said, “Would you, Captain Deacon, do me the honor of becoming my husband?”

“Dr. Nichol, I would be honored to become your husband.”

“About friggin’ time,” added Cass.

We opened a bottle of Champagne to celebrate and, after consulting our schedules, set the date for a Saturday six weeks hence. That gave us both enough lead time to arrange a week off for our honeymoon.

“Can I come on your honeymoon with you?” said a smiling Cass.

We both gave him withering looks.

“Just kidding...sheesh, no need to freak out.”

Copyright © 2017 Zenith; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 56
  • Love 5
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..