Jump to content
    Zenith
  • Author
  • 4,107 Words
  • 36,169 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Winning the Lottery - 7. Gabe faces upheavel and change

Would you believe they’d put us in the Royal Hawaiian? Good lord, such luxury! We spent our days either on the beach or at the pool discretely surrounded by security people. I made myself ignore them for Cass and Derrick’s sake. Cass was doing well. A bit clingier than normal, but that was to be expected. He had the occasional middle-of-the-night nightmare, and he’d climb into our bed, but once he was with us he’d settle back down to sleep again. Mostly, the sun and frolicking wore Cass out; he went to bed early, and that gave Derrick and I plenty of time to cuddle and talk in the evenings.

While watching the sunset over the ocean, I initiated our first conversation with an apology. “D, I’m sorry I misunderstood what you were saying that night you told me you came from a wealthy family.”

“How so, hon? And you certainly don’t need to be sorry for anything.”

“It’s just that I interpreted what you said through the filter of my own needs and, dare I say, neuroses. I looked at it from the perspective of not losing my independence and work identity, and I didn’t want to ever be seen as a gold digger. But that wasn’t what you were telling me at all, was it? You were telling me that your life, and my life if we partnered up, would never be ‘normal.’ When you’ve got as much money as the Deacons you need to look at the world through a different lens. I’m explaining this badly, but am I on the right track?”

“Yes, that’s a good way to put it. We can never be normal. Safety is our number one concern. After that, we try to do something that fulfills us: Buddhist teaching for my parents; airplane pilot for me. Gramps and Uncle Darius run the corporation. The Deacons collectively give over a billion dollars a year to various causes: charities, schools, universities, and so forth. There’s a whole department in the head office that deals with that.

“Now, my dear sweet Gabe, what would you like to do with your life?”

“I’d like to help people.”

“Glad to hear it! There are lots of ways to do that. Any ideas on what you’d like to do, specifically?”

“I’m not quite sure yet, but I want to talk to your parents about it. They seem so wise, and I’d value their guidance.”

It was during that week that the Deacons closed on the beachfront property and told the architect to finalize the plans and engage a contractor for the build. We took Cass to see the sight of his future home and he was wild with excitement.

“Oh, man!” he declared, “Lucy will love this beach!”

Time flies when you’re having fun, and before I knew it I was waving goodbye to Derrick and Cass as their jet taxied away.

When I got back to work I had a slew of messages to respond to, financial reports to review, meetings with the rental agents, and an urgent request from the site manager at our new client condo complex. Word was getting around, and I had two more requests for proposals from large condo developments. I was swamped. It wasn’t just in my office, the company was growing in leaps and bounds. All three offices (Vancouver, Calgary and Honolulu) were experiencing high growth. The owner of the company said he’d do something about the workload; it sounded to me like there was going to be a major reorganization of the management ranks and division of responsibilities.

Derrick had a layover that week, and I was grateful to have a few hours in his arms. He had wonderful news: he’d been hired by the Hawaii-based airline and was to start training on the A321 simulator in Orlando in June.

The owner of my company called on Thursday morning and told me that he was hiring a marketing manager to prepare client proposals. I was relieved because that took a lot of strain off me. But my relief turned to panic when he asked me if I’d take the marketing position—meaning I’d have to move to Calgary where the head office was located. Thoroughly horrified at the implications, I stammered and asked if I might get back to him the following week.

Now I was in a bind. All the Deacons were moving to Hawaii, and yours truly was being sent back to Canada! The last thing I, personally, wanted to do was leave Hawaii, a place I loved.

My impulse was to pick up the phone and cry on Derrick’s shoulder, but I didn’t think that would be fair. He was in the middle of a work trip, and probably unreachable in any case. Better yet, I’d been meaning to talk to his dad about my future, so I phoned him instead. In a highly agitated state I laid everything out in one long ramble. I’m surprised Dad understood a word of it.

“Let me get this straight,” he summarized. “Your company wants to send you to Calgary, but you don’t want to go.”

“Yes. I mean, no, I don’t want to go.”

“And you love my son and grandson and want to be with them sooner, rather than later.”

“Yes, we were hoping they’d move here before Cass starts school again in September,” I said.

“But you can’t quit your job because you’re in the US on a work permit and wouldn’t be allowed to stay if you no longer had a job.”

“Yes, that’s my understanding.”

“But you were thinking of another career? Something that involves helping people?”

“Yes.”

“And you’re willing to work hard, whatever you do.”

“Yes.”

“And you’re just coming up to your 25th birthday soon? It’s at the beginning of April?”

“Yes.”

“Dad (he was referring to Gramps) told me you achieved a 4.0 grade point average in college, and you have a double major in science and accounting. Is that correct?

“Yes.”

“What about going back to school? You could use your science background and train in a field, like medicine, where you’d be helping people.”

A moment of sadness overcame me when I thought of my adolescent dream of becoming a doctor. A dream thoroughly dashed by my despotic father. “When I was young I wanted to become a doctor, but it’s a bit late for that now,” I sighed.

“Well, son, anything’s possible. I’ll talk to MacKenzie about your situation, if you don’t mind. She’s the practical one in the family. But don’t you worry, Gabe, we’ll think of a solution.”

“Thanks, Dad, I love you.”

“We love you too, son.”

I was busy at work, but I worried constantly and had several sleepless nights. Time was running out on giving my boss my decision, and the Deacon’s hadn’t gotten back to me.

Mom finally called. “Gabriel, my dear, Douglas told me all about your conundrum, and I think we might have a solution.”

“Yeah, Mom, I’m worried sick. I was so looking forward to all of us being together soon, and now my work situation is putting that in jeopardy. I’m so sorry, you’ve all made plans....”

“Nonsense, Gabriel. In fact, if you’re willing to work hard, everything might just work out beautifully.”

“What do you mean?”

“You told Douglas you were willing to work hard, is that correct?”

“Yes, do you have a job in mind for me?” I asked with some trepidation. I suspected the Deacons were going to offer me some ‘made up’ job. I hated the thought that I’d be beholden to them, but hated the thought of disappointing Derrick, Cass, Dad and Mom even more.

“I hope you don’t mind, but I talked to Derrick about the situation, because it will affect all of us as much as it does you. At first we thought we might create a job for you in Hawaii, (my heart sank when I heard that), but Derrick said you’d hate that. But he came up with a suggestion because of something you’d told him and Douglas.”

“What was that?”

“Well, he said you had dreams of becoming a doctor, but that you weren’t able to. So how would you like to go to medical school in Hawaii? You can start in September.”

Now that was unrealistic and just too much. I knew the Deacons meant well, but they were also playing a cruel game with my emotions. What she was suggesting was impossible. I hadn’t even written the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test). Even if I applied immediately, it would be a year or more before my application was processed, and probably denied. And I knew medical school was demanding. How could Derrick and Cass and I be a family with me studying all the time?

“Awe, Mom,” I said. “It’s kind of you to suggest that, but it really isn’t possible.”

“Of course it is, Gabriel. If you want to, that is.”

“Well, yes, but I’ve got to apply, and write the MCATs and do well on them. It’s not easy to get into medical school. The competition is fierce. Plus, the time commitment is horrendous. I couldn’t do that to Derrick and Cass.”

“One last time, Gabriel, is it something you’d like to do?”

“Well, yes, but.....”

“No buts, dear. Derrick is in agreement on this. He fully understands the commitment you’d be making. And I’ve just got off the phone with the Dean of the medical school. You’ve got a place in September, if you want it.”

“What? How did you do that?”

“Well, the Dean happens to be an old friend from Berkeley; he and I came to an agreement.”

“That’s incredible! But I’d feel bad if I was bumping someone out of school. You know there are only so many slots available. And I won’t do this unless Derrick tells me he agrees with the idea.”

She laughed, “Derrick did warn me you’d analyse the situation to death. Douglas and I agreed to fund an addition two student slots. Not just for you, but in perpetuity. And we’re also making a donation to the school’s research department. This is exactly the type of philanthropy the Deacons like, so don’t feel we are doing this just for you. And you are getting into medical school on your own merits. We’ve just expedited the process.”

“Awe, Mom.... Derrick...you’re sure he’s fine with this?”

“Yes, dear. He was very excited when we cooked up this scheme. Now, I think you should hang up and call him.”

“Mom, thank you. But it’s not a done deal until I talk to Derrick thoroughly about this. As Derrick says, I need to analyse this to death. Really, though, I don’t know how to thank you enough for what you’ve done!”

“You’re welcome, dear, just keep loving my son and grandson; that will be all the thanks we could ever ask for.”

Before she hung up she gave me the direct number of the Dean of the medical school and told me to call him right after I’d talked to Derrick.

Derrick answered on the first ring. “Hello, Dr. Nichol!”

“Not quite yet. I sure wish you were here, ‘cuz I could sure use a hug. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed.”

“Roll with it, babe, remember what Dad told you.”

“You mean that the Deacons could do almost anything with just the flick of a wrist?”

“Yes, that. How do you feel about all this, hon, is it okay?” Trust Derrick to put my feelings first.

“Your mom just served me my dream on a silver platter. But what about us, collectively? Medical school is a lot of work. I’ll be tied up for the next five or six years.”

“True, but until your internship you’ll be home almost every night. You’re not the first married person who’s gone to medical school. If other families can cope, then we can too. And don’t forget my job takes me away for days at a time. We’ll manage; Mom and Dad are going to be right there on the property to help, and Giselle wants to come to Hawaii with us. The burden really is on you. But making you happy, helping you to achieve your dream, is what I want the most.”

“You know what my dream is, hon? I’d like to eventually have a clinic that helps people in need. There are so many people in this country without medical insurance who aren’t getting the basic care they need. I’d love to do that. Then maybe I can help special cases, you know, refer them on for necessary operations and stuff. Like kids with cleft palates or burn scars and things like that....”

“That’s a wonderful dream! I can tell you’re already motivated! And when you get your practice, it will focus part of the Deacon’s philanthropy. It’s a win-win situation, hon. Hey, this calls for a celebration! Can you come over to Seattle this weekend?”

I took a deep breath. I had been planning on catching up on some paperwork this weekend, but what the hell? There was no way I was going to be able to concentrate on work anyway. “Sure, can you put the ball in motion? I’ll assume I’m going. But before we break out the Champagne, I’d better talk to the Dean of the medical school. I still can’t believe your mom and dad pulled this off.”

“Believe it, Gabe. But you know Dad and Mom are always looking for ways to use their power in a positive way. This kind of thing is right up their alley. Now, I’m going to call the office right now and arrange your tickets. Steve will tell you what time he’s picking you up to take you to the airport.”

With not a little trepidation, I called the Dean of the medical school and introduced myself. I was stammering and, quite frankly, groveling, and he assured me everything was set. Gramps’ office had even sent him a copy of my college transcripts, and he said that my grades, combined with my community service, were more than adequate for admission. He also told me that in addition to the two student slots in the medical school, the Deacons were endowing two research chairs. My God, they were pouring millions into the school, just for me! The Dean said it wasn’t necessary to write the MCATs. It was a criterion they used for admission, but not, per se, an admission requirement. He had the say on waiving that requirement. First he told me to complete the School’s application by the end of next week, and have my old college send official transcripts. He then gave me the number of the faculty’s academic advisor and suggested I consult with her about taking some preparation courses in the summer. The Dean ended the conversation with a stern warning: how successful I was at school was entirely up to me. Once I set foot in the door I would be treated and evaluated like any other student; there would be no special treatment.

I phoned the academic advisor immediately after my conversation with the Dean, and she suggested some one-on-one tutoring. We agreed I’d call her once I’d left my current job, and she’d arrange that.

This time going to Seattle they got me on a commercial flight leaving at around 4pm arriving Seattle at 9:30pm. We must have gotten the last couple of seats (Lisa, one of my security people, was traveling with me), the plane was pretty crowded. We sat at the back of the regular cabin, which was just fine with me. As I sat there, my head reeling from everything that had happened in such a short time, I realized that we hadn’t touched on who was going to pay my medical school tuition. I suppose it was going to be Dad and Mom Deacon paying, but I thought I better clarify that when I got to Seattle.

We had a lot to talk about that weekend. Derrick was excited about his upcoming training with the Hawaiian airline in June. His actual start date was at the beginning of July, so he and Cass would move down then. We’d rent a two or three bedroom condo until the house at the beach was finished later in the year. We agreed that I’d quit my job at the end of June and I’d spend July and August reviewing my science material with the tutor. Everything was made easy for me. The Deacons were taking care of whatever visas I needed to stay and study in the US. When I broached the subject of who was paying my tuition Derrick looked thoughtful. “Let me get back to you on that,” he said.

When Derrick asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I laughed at him and said that he and his family had given me everything I could possibly want and more. I forbid him to buy me a gift.

Just as I was to board the plane for my homeward journey Derrick’s security guy walked up with a small wrapped box and handed it to him. He turned and handed it to me. “Happy birthday, Gabe,” he said.

I bit back a remark that he wasn’t supposed to get me a gift. “Open it, quick,” he said, “Before you have to board.”

I ripped the off the wrapping paper and opened the box. Inside was a stethoscope. It was all too much. I was so thrilled and happy that I could barely choke out a ‘thank you.’ With tears in my eyes, I hugged him goodbye and headed into the jetway clutching my new stethoscope.

When I stepped off the plane I had a voice message from Gramps. It was still early enough in San Francisco that I could return his call right away.

“Gabriel, my boy, I understand we’re going to have a doctor in the family!”

“Well, Sir, perhaps it’s not a good idea to count our chickens so fast.”

“I have every confidence that you’ll succeed.” Then Gramps, as was his manner, got right to the point. “You’ll need your own money to cover costs....”

My heart sank. My own money? Where would I ever come up with the $75,000 per year tuition to attend medical school? I knew Gramps was a hard task master, but wasn’t expecting me to pay my own tuition going a bit far? I kicked myself for not asking McKenzie to clarify the situation before I said yes to her scheme.

“....so I’m settling a little money on you. Think of it as an engagement present from Grams and me. Will a million see you through until you marry that grandson of mine?”

One million dollars!

“Gramps, that’s far too much!”

“Granted it’s a little more than you need, but I expect you to use that money responsibly. If you buy a Ferrari and a gold watch Grams and I will be very disappointed.”

So, Gramps was testing me. I only had a moment to mull that over before a response was expected, so I replied, “I won’t disappoint you, Sir.”

I heard Gramps chuckle. “You’re a quick study, young Gabriel. My grandson is very lucky to have found you.”

“And I’m lucky to have him. He’s a pretty special guy.”

The month of May was difficult. Derrick was working a crazy schedule, so I didn’t see him at all. I’d had to give my notice immediately because the owner expected an answer about whether or not I’d take the marketing job. He wasn’t happy and implied that I’d mislead the company about my intentions when I had accepted the transfer to Hawaii. I hadn’t, of course, but I felt terrible nonetheless. Even my old boss, the one who’d been so kind to me, began to treat me like a pariah. Within days they’d sent a surprise replacement down, and I was told to pack my personal belongings and vacate my office. They gave me a month’s pay in lieu of notice. I felt awful. They were blaming me for something that wasn’t my fault.

At least Mr. and Mrs. Chen were supportive. I generally outlined the story to them, and they told me I must do what’s right for me. Mrs. Chen winked and said my Derrick was a very lucky man.

Cass was up on Orcas with his grandparents, and I decided to stay in Honolulu and enjoy my leisure. Each day I’d drive down to the property and check progress. By the end of the month, the old houses had been demolished and the new foundations were going in.

With Derrick’s start date with the airline in July, someone from the Dea-Con security office came to Honolulu to find interim accommodation for him, Cass and me. I didn’t really get much say in the matter, but they paid me token heed, and we soon leased a nice three bedroom, furnished condo that had acceptable security arrangements. Of course I didn’t think any of the security precautions were silly anymore. I just went along with whatever the security people came up with and thanked them.

It was another bittersweet day when, at the first of June, I moved from my little apartment to the condo. Damn, I’d been so proud of that place and its peek-a-boo view. The security people arranged the move and helped me dispose of or store any excess furniture.

Nothing about what was happening seemed ‘normal.’ Everything was arranged and carried out smoothly. I just did what I was told. I was so used to looking out for myself that all this ‘handling’ seemed just plain odd.

I became a little more settled and comfortable once I’d moved into the new digs. It was shortly after that that I began my daily commute to the medical school for special tutoring. The young researcher chosen to tutor me was a genius, but he was a good teacher and worked me through a logical progression of review and new material with the goal of transitioning into a full-time medical student in the fall. For every hour he worked with me I had at least four hours of studying. We reviewed biology and chemistry, then he took me through some basic physiology (how the body works).I didn’t mind the hard work; it’s pretty much what I could expect for the next several years. My tutor assuaged some of my fears about medical school saying that, with my intelligence and work ethic, I shouldn’t have a problem. In fact, he said that, because I was working so hard, we’d complete the review by the end of June. As well, he said that, even now, it wasn’t necessary to work five days a week if I had other obligations. But I kept hard at it wanting to be completely finished by the time Derrick and Cass arrived.

At the end of June, while Cass stayed on with his grandparents for another week, Derrick finished his training on the A320 simulator and came to “officially” live with me in Hawaii. We spent the two days before he started working honeymooning, cocooned in our bedroom, making love, chatting, eating simple meals. In Derrick’s presence I found absolute contentment. The generalized angst I felt about the Deacons and their money, and way too many changes in a short time, evaporated.

Derrick’s work schedule was determined month by month. He’d been given his first month’s (July) schedule, but from there on out he’d “bid” mid-month for the next month’s schedule. Having almost no seniority at his new job he pretty much had to take what was offered. Beginning September, my time would also be tightly scheduled, but hopefully more predictable. We agreed, therefore, that the majority of any “spare” time, come September, would be devoted to Cass.

McKenzie accompanied Cass to Hawaii and stayed for a week to help Cass settle in. For most of July and the balance of August I had Cass on my own on the days Derrick worked. Luckily, he was home more than we expected. Some shifts were “reserve” meaning he got to stay home and only had to be available to get to the airport within two hours of being called in.

Having McKenzie with us for a week turned out to be a godsend for me. An extremely perceptive woman, she sensed my conundrum with the Deacon family. She herself had been a newcomer at one time and was able to give me some perspective on the family.

Copyright © 2017 Zenith; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 65
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Very interesting direction very BIG changes ahead. I am loving the intrigue and twists and turns. Can't wait for the next chapter. Cheers

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Things seemed to be progressing very quickly in this chapter ...  Big changes for Gabe indeed, I feel a bit overwhelmed just reading about the things he was facing; imagine Gabe living through it.  Derrick had his own new set of challenges at work to go through and even Cass had to face a different school environment ... upheaval indeed for the whole family !

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Damn, talk about landing in the clover...  Really enjoying this story, can't wait to see where you are taking it.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thanks for your comments.  I know there was a lot in that chapter.  Thanks for hanging in there.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

The ‘Pink Palace’! (The nickname of the Royal Hawaiian.)  ;-)

 

 

Having money means you don’t have to wait. You can pay extra to have things delivered overnight or in some cases within an hour or two. On some highways, you can pay an extra fee to drive in the carpool lane. If you need to fly somewhere quickly, you can pay a premium for a last minute seat – or if you’re wealthy enough, you can charter your own flight!

 

You can pay others to do the chores you don’t enjoy. Don’t want to waste time in lines? Hire someone to wait for you. Hate cleaning? Hire a service. Don’t like cooking? Hire a chef or go out to eat. Don’t want to clean the pool (something only rich people have anyway)? Hire a pool boy. Don’t want to deal with the yard? Hire a gardener. Hate shopping for clothes? Hire a personal shopper. Hate dealing with traffic and other drivers? Hire a chauffeur or a service. Want someone to furnish your mansion? Hire a decorator. Whatever you hate doing, someone else is almost always willing and able to do if you pay enough (you do have to get your own colonoscopy and prostate exams though).

 

Being poor takes a lot more time because you have to do it all yourself.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..