if only son's would listen to their fathers!

Subject: What Bush Sr. Wrote

In his published memoirs, "A World Transformed," written five years

ago,

George H. W. Bush Sr. wrote the following to explain why he didn't go

after Saddam Hussein at the end of the Gulf War (1991).

"Trying to eliminate Saddam...would have incurred incalculable human

and

political costs. Apprehending him was probably impossible.... We would

have been forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq....

"There was no viable "exit strategy" we could see, violating another of

our principles. Furthermore, we had been consciously trying to set a

pattern for handling aggression in the post-Cold War world. Going in

and

occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations'

mandate,

would have destroyed the precedent of international response to

aggression that we hoped to establish.

"Had we gone the invasion route, the United States could conceivably

still be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land."

:blink:

Guest jamieanderson

I believe it is known as "Riding a tiger", easy to start, a facinating ride, but a little tricky when you try to get off at the end. It will be interesting to see how it finishes.

Jamie.

• Site Administrator

The events of 9/11/2001 changed perspectives drastically for everyone.

While we shouldn't willy nilly invade everyone, anyone that harbors actionable threats against the USA/Western Society, should be neutralized.

Guest jamieanderson
The events of 9/11/2001 changed perspectives drastically for everyone.

While we shouldn't willy nilly invade everyone, anyone that harbors actionable threats against the USA/Western Society, should be neutralized.

But when USA/Western Society harbour actionable threats against anyone else in the world, er, well, then nothing should happen.

Jamie.

ALL I CAN SAY IS S*** HAPPENS AND WELL HOPE IT GETS BETTER NEXT YEAR OTHER THEN THAT I WILL NOT GET IN TO THIS BECAUSE I MY THOUGHTS COULD GET ME PUT IN JAIL FOR THE WAY I LOOK AT WHAT HAPPEND OVER THE LAST 4 YEARS THE ONLY THING I HOPE IS KERRY WINS THIS NOV.

• Site Administrator

Living in New York state, perhaps my perspective is a bit jaundiced. :huh:

9/11 may have changed the perspective, but common sense would dictate that the actual culprit of 9/11 be dealt with instead of someone who had nothing to do with it.

Bush threw a token offensive in response then with typical politico flare redirected the attention to Saddam just so he'd have an excuse to carry out a personal grudge.

Granted, Saddam deserves every last pain life can throw at him but Osama should have been dealt with first, foremost and completely before we went after Saddam.

• Site Administrator

That's strange. I take it that you were all for taking out the Japanese in WWII before dealing with the Germans?

Are we so weak as to not be able to take on two enemies at once?

Isn't this a War on Terror in all its forms?

Let's take this one step at a time. First, it would be nice if we could capture Osama bin Laden. There would be no problem gving him the death penalty, I believe.

As for taking out Hussein, all I can say is that we know he had weapons of mass destruction and used them on his own people. Whether he had them in 2003, well certainly all the major intelligence services (Russian, British, French, German, and American) believed that he did. And he certainly was very capable of using them if he did have them!

Also, let's look at the aftermath of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Iran has scaled back its weapons program; Libya has given up their weapons programs completely; a Pakistani weapons ring has been exposed and broken up; plus the fear of an all-powerful being has been put into the North Koreans.

While the world is definitely not as safe as is possible, the terrorists are on the run, and the rogue states who have supported them are wary of continueing their support .

I apologize in advance for offending anyone with my comments, but I agree with those who drew a candidate's ire in Milwaukee, WI by saying "Four more years!"

That's strange. I take it that you were all for taking out the Japanese in WWII before dealing with the Germans?

Are we so weak as to not be able to take on two enemies at once?

Isn't this a War on Terror in all its forms?

Hard to be for or against anything that was far before my time. Far before yours too, I might add. Let's stick with events that we have lived through.

Frankly, I'm surprised at your attitude. Bush used 9/11 to further a personal vendetta. How insulting is that?

And yes, Gentim, a lot of good came as a result of the war against Iraq. I'm not disputing that, I'm disputing the way the situation with Osama and his freaks has been managed. It was tabled in favor for Bush to say he got one back for dear old dad.

Guest jamieanderson

Now just let us stop for a moment and think; why did 9/11 happen?

Did the USA do anything to really piss off the islamic world?

Is the USA still doing this?

Jamie.

i do think the war in iraq is to get one back for dad as far as osama how had is it to find a sick man he needs to see a dr. every week or so do to heath reasons so how had is it to find him yes i am glad iraq is out of under saddam but look at the loss of life on both sides we are loseing 4 or more kids not men kids a day yeah sure some are older but still some one loseing there dad or someone loseing there son does it matter no do they wants us there not really some do but not all and not only that but this war has cost so much money that the people that need it to 1 keep there bis. open has been spent on war i am from the midwest and boeing has lost so much from 9/11 that they want to sale the plant here this thown sadley needs that plant we need to look at the long term of this war it will cost a lot of lifes and money we are not really wanted there so bring the boys home why lose any more i have a friend over there and every time i hear about a death i hope it's not him and then i see him on yahoo but i hate the feeling of wondering if i will lose a friend to this madness we should just back out and let them go at it they dont want us but they dont want law and order then let them fight for it.

Edited by ethan thorn
  • Site Administrator

It's probably best to close this.

There is no way we are going to change each other's minds.

No sense in wasting our time telling each other how stupid are points of view are.