Message Board Topic 10/8

Comsie

Anybody who has ever read one of these stories, I'm assuming, has always had at least a TINY urge to write one of their own! I mean, there isn't a single one of us who doesn't have a story of some sort to tell about a boy/girl that we were head over heels in love with at one time or another! Somebody who we wanted more than anything! This is our chance to not only relive what happened, but a perfect opportunity to give it the fantasy ending we always wanted! So why NOT? How awesome would that be?

But, it isn't as easy as just 'having a story to tell'. There's a method and a process involved in creating the fantasy and putting it down for

other people to read it. That's not to say that they can't do it. I've had MANY people tell me that they can't write worth a lick, and yet, they tell me about a boy they loved in an email, and don't realize that what they just did was...in fact...write me a story. With a few more

details and different character names, they'd be doing exactly what I do everyday. So if any of you think you can't do it...um...you're LYING! Hehehe!

The question this week is, how does someone get started on their first story, if they decide to write one? Where should they look for inspiration? What steps should they take to get their thoughts in order? Whatever help or advice you guys have, let us know? How does somebody get that lifelong infatuation and romantic memories out of their heart and onto the page? (Or screen, as the case may be.)

• Site Administrator

The detail will vary from person to person, but the following are what I think are a few key points:

1. Have a story in mind. A situation is not a story -- a situation starts a story or helps define a story, but it's not enough by itself. What is the story going to be about? A romance of how two people fell in love? A drama as some situation unfolds? An adventure as the characters are led through a series of events?

2. Have some idea of how the story will end. You don't have to write it up front (though I've seen many recommendations along those lines), but keep it in mind so you have a target to aim for. You can even have several possibilities in mind, and only make up your mind on which to use (I did this with my first story. I had considered having the story ending with David being dragged off to Juvenile Detention after being involved in a bashing... but I found I couldn't write something that dark).

3. When you're writing a chapter, keeping thinking ahead. When I started, I was told to have a good idea of what happens in the NEXT chapter as you are writing the current one. This helps you keep the story direction by making sure you don't close off the story by introducing something that precludes what you want to happen.

4. When you are writing a scene, find a technique that suits you to ensure you add the small detail that lifts a story from mediocre to good. I personally visualise a scene, and then try to include the extra bits -- the background, character movements, etc -- that helps the reader see what I see. I don't try to go overboard because too much description detracts from the scene itself, but include things that show movement or emotion.

5. Practise. I read a recommendation to write something every day. It does NOT have to be part of the story -- even posting at GA helps you practise your writing skills. A blog is another thing that can help. Just like any skill, the more you use it, the better it is.

6. Observe. Look around you. If what you see is a scene in your story, how would you write it? What words would you use? What parts would you describe and what would you leave off? I gave myself an exercise once because I thought I was weak at describing characters. I spent part of a day looking at people and trying to work out how I could describe them. As a result I decided I couldn't do someone justice. I can paint a rough portrait of a person, but I have to leave it to the reader's imagination to fill in the picture as to a person's physical appearance.

Inspiration can come from anywhere. Just be alert for the opportunities when they present themselves :) I can't tell you how to find inspiration because it comes from within yourself. Sticking with a subject you know is a good start, though. Even if you think what you know is boring, it can still be useful. In Stephen King's book On Writing he gave the example of someone who wants to write Science Fiction, but they're a plumber. He suggested a plumber on a spaceship -- and then said that there is a published story with exactly that premise. I can remember a SF story about a dentist....

hmmm...

"I've had MANY people tell me that they can't write worth a lick, and yet, they tell me about a boy they loved in an email, and don't realize that what they just did was...in fact...write me a story."

I resemble that remark! :P:worship:

• Site Administrator
hmmm...

"I've had MANY people tell me that they can't write worth a lick, and yet, they tell me about a boy they loved in an email, and don't realize that what they just did was...in fact...write me a story."

I resemble that remark! :P:worship:

Since when did you ever say you couldn't write! :blink: Your stories are one of the things that helped me accept myself and then start on writing!

Remember I began with the story "Mark"? (reefer to Nifty Military section)

You can thank/blame Comsie for that. Chapter 1 is virtually the same thing I wrote in an e-mail to Comsie back in 1999... or was it '98? :lol:

I actually tried to write my story and discovered that it takes a lot more effort, emotional energy and skill than you might think.

I got clean & sober in late 2004 and as part of my recovery, I wrote Broken in '05-06 which covers my life between rug-rat and spring-break of 7th grade.

The problems of writing something so personal are self evident. It has made me very self conscious in the past. My next two chapters are ready-- my problem is that it is way too embarrassing to post. Rather like going to work in my most ragged boxer shorts.

It was the 70s. The whole decade was a party. I just worry that people won't see me quite the same afterwards. Or- maybe I'm concerned about how I'll see myself.

In anyevent, it can get pretty compcated writing about yourself.