Errors in Judgement

BeaStKid

http://www.twocircles.net/2008jan06/umpire...ts_ponting.html

What do we do about the lapse in judgement regarding umpires in Cricket. Errors so huge that they cost the match. Errors not committed just once, but more than twice in each innings of the test match.

I do not blame the umpires. They are human, after all. But what should be the course of remedial action in such cases?

Sigh!

BeaStKid

What do we do about the lapse in judgement regarding umpires in Cricket. Errors so huge that they cost the match. Errors not committed just once, but more than twice in each innings of the test match.

I do not blame the umpires. They are human, after all. But what should be the course of remedial action in such cases?

Sigh!

BeaStKid

B) .....The NFL has challenges in place, along with instant replay.....Perhaps the Cricket world should demand the same

B) .....The NFL has challenges in place, along with instant replay.....Perhaps the Cricket world should demand the same

Cricket has instant replays and a third umpire sitting in front of a tele as well. But a few of those errors were made by the third umpire himself! And to think he saw the thing from different angles, in slow motion and took his own time!!!

Cricket has instant replays and a third umpire sitting in front of a tele as well. But a few of those errors were made by the third umpire himself! And to think he saw the thing from different angles, in slow motion and took his own time!!!

:( .....Perhaps someone should pay him more

Boohoo, bad decisions were made on both sides, Ponting inside edge onto the pads first innings given LBW for a start. Go burn an effigy :P

(Not in bad taste I hope)

And maybe it's in karma for Singh's comments ;)

And bad decisions happen, always have and always will, the only solution is to use intelligent robots instead of umps I guess.

Edited by Zapp

• Site Administrator

Bad decisions will always occur. The goal is to keep them to a minimum. I'm of the opinion that there were too many in that game (and some really bad ones, not marginal decisions that happen to be wrong), and that India bore the brunt of most of them. The only recourse is after the event -- demoting the umpires involved and promoting some more junior umpires to the senior level.

As for the third umpire, the cardinal rule has always been if there is any doubt, rule in favour of the batsman. I saw some of the slow motion replays and while I thought it was probable that one of the Australia's was stumped (I can't remember which one it was), the camera angle left some doubt in my mind as to whether he grounded his foot before the bails came off. If the third umpire was the same, then "not out" is the correct decision.

I'm disappointed with the standard of umpiring in that match, and I'm hoping that the umpiring board reviews the game carefully. The poor standard has cast a shadow over what was otherwise a good game (and I'm not saying that just because Australia won).

• Site Moderator

Even with the replay, some calls aren't reviewable.

Sigh!

BeaStKid

My umpire side of me will say this (even if for me it's tennis). All umpire are human and we do make some mistakes. I know that, personally when I make a bad call, I realize it and I feel bad for a while after it, you just gotta try and forget about past call and concentrate on the next one, they say.

I have to say that about the course of remedial, like instant replay, it is a good thing, but, at least in tennis, you'll realize that most of the time we make the right call, if not, the chair umpire will get it right. Now for other sports, well I know that for football, (at least in the CFL) most of the original call does stands.

But I gotta admit that in spite of all that, bad call still exist and sometimes it influence the game. Nothing can be perfect

• Site Administrator
My umpire side of me will say this (even if for me it's tennis). All umpire are human and we do make some mistakes. I know that, personally when I make a bad call, I realize it and I feel bad for a while after it, you just gotta try and forget about past call and concentrate on the next one, they say.

I used to be a basketball referee, so I understand what you are saying. I used to tell the players that I freely admit that I make mistakes, but, for professional reasons, I won't tell them which ones they were. :P

The problem is that the standard of umpiring in International level cricket is usually very, very high. I don't know how many times I've heard the commentators remark on what they thought was an umpiring mistake, only to have the slow motion replays and various technological gadgets (like the snickometer) confirm that the umpire was, in fact, correct. That's what made this game stand out so much. Not only was the number of mistakes a lot higher than normal, but some of them were blatantly wrong -- like someone being out caught behind when the replay shows the ball missed the bat by the proverbial mile. It wasn't even close! I can accept a number of very marginal decisions being made incorrectly, but that wasn't the case here.

I used to be a basketball referee, so I understand what you are saying. I used to tell the players that I freely admit that I make mistakes, but, for professional reasons, I won't tell them which ones they were. :P

The problem is that the standard of umpiring in International level cricket is usually very, very high. I don't know how many times I've heard the commentators remark on what they thought was an umpiring mistake, only to have the slow motion replays and various technological gadgets (like the snickometer) confirm that the umpire was, in fact, correct. That's what made this game stand out so much. Not only was the number of mistakes a lot higher than normal, but some of them were blatantly wrong -- like someone being out caught behind when the replay shows the ball missed the bat by the proverbial mile. It wasn't even close! I can accept a number of very marginal decisions being made incorrectly, but that wasn't the case here.

Yeah... some mistakes, very close are fine...but blatantly wrong decisions are not... :)

Not only was the number of mistakes a lot higher than normal, but some of them were blatantly wrong -- like someone being out caught behind when the replay shows the ball missed the bat by the proverbial mile. It wasn't even close! I can accept a number of very marginal decisions being made incorrectly, but that wasn't the case here.

ya, at that point, it's just plain ridiculous. And working at that umpire association, I wouldn't make them work again on high level game anytime soon

ya, at that point, it's just plain ridiculous. And working at that umpire association, I wouldn't make them work again on high level game anytime soon

At least Bucknor got sacked for it...albeit for a few tests only... :)

At least Bucknor got sacked for it...albeit for a few tests only... :)

I remember another example of blatant error. It was at the US open it was a game S.Williams against Capriati. S.Williams had a clear winning point. but the chair umpire called it out (it was on the far-side line on the top, meaning the long line that is the further away from the chair), giving the point to Capriati. The worse is that, it was nowhere to even be a close call, and the line umpire had correctly called it "in". S.Williams ended up loosing the game.

I can say for sure that, that chair umpire never worked ever since on the WTA. I say sometimes sacking is a little far seeing that, at that level, it's their living and errors still are errors, it can happen to every one but, I agree when it's too often, or too obvious, maybe you're not in your right field

I remember another example of blatant error. It was at the US open it was a game S.Williams against Capriati. S.Williams had a clear winning point. but the chair umpire called it out (it was on the far-side line on the top, meaning the long line that is the further away from the chair), giving the point to Capriati. The worse is that, it was nowhere to even be a close call, and the line umpire had correctly called it "in". S.Williams ended up loosing the game.

I can say for sure that, that chair umpire never worked ever since on the WTA. I say sometimes sacking is a little far seeing that, at that level, it's their living and errors still are errors, it can happen to every one but, I agree when it's too often, or too obvious, maybe you're not in your right field

At least Steve wasn't sacked indefinitely...just for this tour...he's a good umpire, though... :)

• 2 weeks later...