MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #43

It's more than a kiss on the cheek. It's more than a tiny folded note shoved mysteriously in your back pocket. And it's gotta be more than a quick blowjob in the backseat of a car, right? It's 'romance'! The 7 letter word that allows these stories to give you that 'gooey' feeling inside while you're reading them. You'd think it would be a pretty standard practice to see a bit of that feeling added into every story you read online. But it isn't. Not always.

The question this week is...

=What is 'romance'? And how can you find it in the stories you read?=

What is it that creates a romantic feeling in the story structure that you read through? What's the difference between a romantic setting and just saying, "They kissed. And it was romantic."? What is it that gives you that feeling? Is it the characters? The setting and situations that they're involved in? The words used to describe a certain kiss, or a certain emotion?

What makes you weak when you read a story? Let us know! The board is open!

A good unit of measurement for romance in a story is how long it takes an author to describe/build up to the first kiss. If they suddenly begin going at it, they lose me. But when you're right there with them, feeling that same anticipation in some agonizing crescendo, then I'm hooked.

What really gets to me in terms of romance is when they refer to that feeling of warmth you get from being close to another person. that sort of connection just gives me chills.

I find it best when I put the romance later in the story. I have seen writers try and put it in to soon and people loose intrest. You have to know the character and understand what they have been through together and what they mean to each other. Some will try and cake it on to much when they actually use it.

It's true that you don't usually see it anymore in stories. It's just now what the majority of the public wants. Let's face it they don't want something like that they want something that is going to "get them off" to say the truth. Some people think that the characters just having sex might be considered romance but it's not that's a mask. There is a big difference between having sex and making love when a person makes love they share themselves with the other when a person has sex it's usually (when dealing with writing) just for one reason to pull them in. I must admit I have used this diversonary tactic before in my writing. I would like to see more romance in some of the stories and less of the random prancing through someones back yard. Let's bring back the romance or just bring it let's write something that will make you touch your heart and not make you touch yourself. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

• 2 weeks later...

Very well spoken, you guys. You know, now more than ever, I see a lot of authors attempting to have more of an impact in romance than just a random release of sexual tension. I have my horny moments too, believe me, and I sometimes feel like I NEED that sexual 'icing on the cake' to make my stories a bit more rewarding. Both for me and for anyone reading. But I try hard not to force it or make the story sexy while losing the romantic aspect of it.

hen I started writing online, it was all sex and a big burst of tension that I was finally able to express after holding it in for so long. But when the fires cooled a bit, the story became a lot more important, so things changed after the first year or so.

What is romance? A reason. That's how I like to see it. When the story has been building steadily, when a connection has been made, when some doubts or fears have been conquered, and love has been made the first and only priority...THEN you get the romance. That's when you have a reason to fall for this character. I think it's created when readers ask themselves, "Why do I want to jump in bed and sleep with this boy...other than the obvious reason that I think he's cute?" I kinda start every story asking myself that question, and write the story with the purpose of providing some kind of proof that would 'answer' that question. I think, when you accomplish that in the minds of people reading, then the sex and the rolling around and the 'I love yous' become more potent. And you really have something special to offer in terms of giving someone else that warm feeling inside. That's the best. :)

It occurs to me that I've never actually written a full blown sex scene..ever. Oh my God. As opposed to you, I just went right into something with depth, but there has to be one eventually. Great, now I have writer-virgin-anxiety.. I guess. It's back to Nifty for more 'research' ;)

Hehehe, VIRGIN! :P

Nah, there doesn't have to be sex in anything you write. Besides, the 'erotic' part comes in the build up TO the sex. All that huffing and sweating is just the icing on the cake. Hehehehe! My, myself? I've got those urges, so it just kinda flows onto the page and it's like "Uh oh, here we go." But it's fun. You don't ever have to force it.

Although, I'm curious as to how you'd write one, never having done so before. Hmmm....

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..