MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #46

Writing is a truly relaxing art for a lot of people, myself included. Just letting those emotions and hard to explain feelings pour out of you and manifest themseves into words...it's SUCH an incredible feeling sometimes! But it wasn't always like that though. It had to build up to that, and the hardest part of writing anything is being able to put out that very FIRST story. It's frustrating, it's emotionally draining, it's downright TERRIFYING! Why? What makes that leap from having the perfect story in our minds, to actually giving the 'writing' part of it a shot? The question this week is simply....

= What makes that first story so scary for a would-be author to write? And how can someone overcome that fear? =

There are a LOT of talented authors out there on Nifty and all, and a ton of them post on the Shack Library as well! I've read some of those stories myself, and they're phenominal! So what keeps everyone from telling the story THEY want to hear? What holds you back? Anyone who has ever had to write one of these stories has had to deal with it at one time, so what let you know that you finally wanted to do this? How did you finally decide, "Ok...I should just write this story and see what happens?" And for all of you readers out there...you read these stories all the time, right? So why not write one of your own? I guarantee you there's gotta be a part of you that is ITCHING to try! All you have to do is think about what you want to read, and write it the way you'd love to read it. So why not try? I was scared to DEATH when I sent the first chapter of "New Kid In School" to Nifty! And I was so overjoyed that they even ACCEPTED it, that I saved the email they sent me in response! I have it to this day! :) So what is it? Is it too much work? No time? Don't think you have a unique point of view? Is there a doubt that it will be good? I have those doubts and restrictions ALL the time, and I do it anyway. It doesn't change. But this is what I love to do. It's what I'm passionate about, I might as well give it a chance.

So what's up with folks finally taking that first leap? Readers and writers...give us your input! People are reading! And MOST of the folks that I talked to in the beginning, that DID take that leap, all have websites of their own now! Very popular ones!

The board is open! :)

Oh yes, and by the way....may I just take this opportunity to say that Gay Authors is definitely on the lookout for that next 'big talent' for a hot author with enough heart to share with the rest of us! If you've got just a SPARK of an idea that you think might make a good story, get yourself a small notebook for your pocket (It'll cost ya like ONE dollar, tops!) and start taking notes! Write it up, take a chance, and send it in! Every author that you consider your favorite started out the same way! So don't wait! Write it up, and send it to Gay Authors! We'll take good care of ya! :)

-This is 'Comicality' endorsed! 100%! Hehehe!

For me, beginning writing was something I tried a while ago, and like most other things I've made, I hated it and changed it relentlessly over and over, deleted it, made new ones. The more I went through this process, the more I knew what writing a good story was. It was more than just a place to create a fantasy for myself, it was creating a whole other world, with its own heroes and problems. A place where I could still escape to, but at the same time had a substantial plot with which to sustain itself. This was before I became an avid reader of gay stories and learned even more. I got a feel for what was out there, and identified what I wanted to read. I figured there must be others who wanted to read something similar, so I should put one out there as a favor to anynone else who did. I know that's a weird way to start, but it's how I started Underworld. I actually started Underworld several times, sometimes getting pretty far. I loved one of the beginnings I had, back when it was "Dakest Love" and the concept was different, I was thinking of posting it as an aside. Whatever, I like the one I have now. Anyway, what was scariest for me was knowing that my work, my feelings, my best attempt at writing, soemthing I cared about, would be viewable by anyone. Not just anyone, but everyone, people who'd been reading these types of stories for a while and had set a standard for them that I had to live up to. Posting also keeps me progressing with a story, instead of going back and changing the same few pages over and over. Once it's out there, I know "Okay, I can't change that anymore, I can just add on to it" so I go on writing. Underworld was the kind of thing I wanted to see on Nifty and such, and it was sort of, but not exactly. Finally, I got over my laziness and just figured I should quit complaining and write it myself if I want it out there. I mean, that's how the rest started, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I can't even remember what prompted me to write my first story. I've always been writing in one form or another - I have a few dozen notebooks filled with scribbled poetry that I can barely read - but I do remember my first story was a 'flip-side POV' for one of Com's stories. I didn't post it anywhere and I don't think anyone actually ever read it. I wrote it for myself because I loved the story so much (it was 'Sibling Rivalry' in case you're wondering:P).

I don't even remember the first story that I posted for others to read but I do remember getting a few criticisms. That - coupled with the fact I genuinely do not remember a single thing about it - leads me to believe it wasn't very good.

The stories that I'm writing at the moment seem to be getting a better reaction. I sort of count 'Jesse's Story' as my first proper story and I know that it must be semi-decent at least because people complained when I decided to leave it open-ended. Lol. I don't know what an audience outside of Com's Library would think of them though. Haven't got round to posting them on Nifty or anything.

I think a lot of people do attempt to write. I think it's the posting that most people don't do. I know that I used to read over what I had written and then read, for example, Com's stuff and it just didn't compare for me. I would just delete entire stories from my hard drive because they didn't seem too good. It took me a while to realise that, hey!, Com's been at this a lot longer than me and also gets more feedback and has an editor - I'd presume anyway - so ofcourse his stuff is going to be more professional than mine.

Anyway, that's my two thrupenny bits on the subject :P

-----

"Pack up / I'm straight / I'm not / Oh say say say / Wait / They don't love you like I love you / Maps / Made off / Don't stray / Well my kinds your kind / I'll stay the same / Pack up / Don't stray / Oh say say say / Wait / They don't love you like I love you / Maps / Wait / They don't love you like I love you"

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, 'Maps'

-----

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..