Are we prone to craving certain things?

AFriendlyFace

I'm insulted and I'm craving doing this to you: whack.gif.

I dare you to call that a twig!

roflmao It looked like a twig!! But on seeing the second smiley and comparing, I'm sure its a twig! The second smiley has a hand... ;)

Err...wasn't there a topic for this thread?

*checks*

Oh yeah...cravings.... :*)

Hmmm...i don't know about y'all, but I'm craving a pizza right now...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:off: It's actually a twig... :P

I was referring to the one that has a stabbing tool in its left hand and a cutting tool in its right... :P Not the one with the twig. The one with the twig is also nice. :lol:

I don't think I can post what I'm craving. But I'm definitely craving something! :devil:

A twig? 0:) I'm sure they're full of vitamins... And this thread is about food, I'm sure you can't have meant anything else...

I often find myself craving mint chocalate chip ice cream.

Also, I often crave orange, apple, or grape juice.

Often, if I've gone a while without something sweet, I'll develop a craving for cake, or cookies.

Thats one of my favorite flavors too...

Though i also like pudding with some carmel flavoring...

Caramel pudding is definitely good. Chocolate is good too. It's absolutely scrumptious. :wub:

A twig? 0:) I'm sure they're full of vitamins... And this thread is about food, I'm sure you can't have meant anything else...

Are you calling me a detritivore? shrug.gif

Hmm... you crave a cuddly kitty cat?

Hmm. He is delicious. But I'm sure you stand a better chance with him than I do. In his eyes I'm an old man. Kids... Experience counts for nothing these days. :(

... Pudding?

Doesn't this belong in the annoying euphemisms thread? poke-poke.gif

I crave Orange Juice, or a type of apples,

Every once in awhile I get a craving for orange juice. I really should know better than to give in because it always gives me heartburn. What kind of apple are you referring to? I happen to love Fuji apples. Oddly enough this Japanese apple is the result of having crossbred two American apples. :great:

Doesn't this belong in the annoying euphemisms thread? poke-poke.gif

I have no idea what you are talking about. I find most kinds of pudding to be absolutely delicious. If you do not like pudding, then that is a personal problem :P

I have no idea what you are talking about. I find most kinds of pudding to be absolutely delicious. If you do not like pudding, then that is a personal problem :P

You are correct about that. Perhaps Gary's mind is in the gutter. I have no idea how pudding could ever be a euphemism. 0:)

Wow, I can't recall the last time I've seen so much defensiveness. :P

Pudding is thick, creamy and tasty. Enough said!

I'm not being defensive. I just like pudding. :D

I'm craving a hamburger. B)

I'm not being defensive. I just like pudding. :D

I'm craving a hamburger. B)

In an attempt to get back on-topic, is this really a craving or merely a desire?

I wanted a cheeseburger for lunch today so I had one. That was a desire.

On the other hand I have a craving for chocolate today.

I don't care what kind of chocolate. I'm just craving chocolate.

In my mind, and in keeping with the theme of this thread, that suggests to me there must be something in chocolate my body needs.

You can call it a need or a craving. To me they're the same thing and completely different from a desire.

In an attempt to get back on-topic, is this really a craving or merely a desire?

I wanted a cheeseburger for lunch today so I had one. That was a desire.

I'm craving something with beef in it. That's all I really know. It could be a regular burger or something else. :P

I'm craving something with beef in it. That's all I really know. It could be a regular burger or something else. :P

OK, that's fair enough. Your body needs something found in beef. Therefore any beef will do. It doesn't have to be a burger. IMO that's a legitimate craving.

We don't crave sour and bitter tasting foods because our bodies apply those to potentially dangerous substances.

That's not necessarily true. When my mother was pregnant with my older sister, she craved sour. To this day, my sister just peels and eats lemons as if they were oranges.

During my first pregnancy, I didn't crave a particular food, but I did crave cold. I lived on salads, grapes and applesauce.

Sharon

There are different sorts of cravings but the most basic kind tells our mind what our bodies really need to eat.

Granted, you don't need carrot cake, but there is a pleasure payoff when you satisfy a craving which is positive reinforcement for getting what your body needs.

Other sorts of cravings, like for carrot cake and choclate, may be based in a need and a want- the need: low blood sugar and want: choclate.

Yes, I was going to say something to that effect. Like maybe your body needs something sweet, and whether you reach for an apple or an apple pie all depends on your habits and choices.

Odd cravings during pregnancy can be based on dietary needs as well, though the body can get confused sometimes -- for example, if you need calcium, you may crave chalk, which isn't a great thing to eat. (This happened to a friend of mine.) Lucky for me I only craved chicken and doughnuts (no, not at the same time :P )

It was interesting, too, how so many foods and smells made me sick during pregnancy. Like, close-to-vomiting sick. Almost everything, in fact, apart from chicken and doughnuts. That might be some kind of mechanism designed to protect pregnant women from unknown foods... I think?

Or maybe it's an ingenious mechanism to make KFC and Dunkn' Donuts rich? :ph34r:

Or maybe it's an ingenious mechanism to make KFC and Dunkn' Donuts rich? :ph34r:

*gasp* You think my gene switches had been tampered with?! I wouldn't put it past them... Though, of course, we don't have KFC and Dunkin' Donuts here.