Flash for Zone Alarm Users!

JamesSavik

User of the popular free firewall Zone Alarm may be disconnected from the net today. A Microshaft update disagree with Zone Alarm which completely shuts down all connectivity.

You must disable Zone Alarm by right clicking on the zone alarm icon in the system tray. A menu will come up- pick disable zone alarm. Internet connectivity will return immediately.

Got to www.zonealarm.com- details on how to fix zone alarm problem are on the front page.

If you have friends that use zone alarm, please call them as an email just won't do today. :rolleyes:

I never liked zone alarm, and I don't like what one of the solutions to the problems was....

Uninstalling a update for Windows? All my computer geek in me says nooooo to that. :thumbdown:

Thankfully I use Mandriva for most of my internet needs :)

I never did like Zone Alarm. Personally, I feel safe enough with the encryption from the router and Windows Firewall. If I ever felt as though I needed more protection, I would certainly not choose Zone Alarm.

I thought that was the cause, however you can still run the firewall with the internet zone set to medium security. :) .

Interesting! Having just read the zonealarm information, medium is a workaround they recommend, smug grin :D .

Router (specifically: NAT) is the best line of defense, but I like to control the access of stuff thats already on my system too.

Edited by Xeran

The problem was Microsoft update which happened to be a malware removal tool.

As far as computer security goes, I believe in defense in depth: Hardware firewall at the router, software firewall, Anti-virus and anti-spyware.

It works pretty good. The problems I've had are more related to integration than invasion. I prefer it that way.

I never liked zone alarm, and I don't like what one of the solutions to the problems was....

Uninstalling a update for Windows? All my computer geek in me says nooooo to that. :thumbdown:

Thankfully I use Mandriva for most of my internet needs :)

I never did like Zone Alarm. Personally, I feel safe enough with the encryption from the router and Windows Firewall. If I ever felt as though I needed more protection, I would certainly not choose Zone Alarm.

I never liked Microsoft.

• Site Administrator

Actually, there was a MAJOR DNS flaw and all DNS servers were patched in a massive, worldwide coordinated patch. MS was just one of the vendors.

I suggest you drop Zonealarm. it has turned into a real system hog.

I remember having my zone alarm once, and not only did it never work (I had to manually configure it multiple times), but I had my system slow down about 12%.

I love my systems fast and I hate having to configure things multiple times, so ZoneAlarm, it's a no no... on hand I would recomend McAfee and OneCare Live (never Norton, it failed me once and I winever forgive it).

In other words... Boooo Zone Alarm!!!!!!!!!!

Used to have it on my old computer it really does slow down a system, Microtrend is good and Grisoft AVG is another good anti virus program either free or subscription version.

• Site Administrator
The problem was Microsoft update which happened to be a malware removal tool.

I almost never download their malware removal tools. To be blunt, I don't trust them.

As far as computer security goes, I believe in defense in depth: Hardware firewall at the router, software firewall, Anti-virus and anti-spyware.

I'm the same.

Used to have it on my old computer it really does slow down a system, Microtrend is good and Grisoft AVG is another good anti virus program either free or subscription version.

AVG is my anti-virus (I've just downloaded version 8). Zonealarm is my software firewall. Spybot is my anti-spyware. Out of them, Spybot causes me the most annoyance, but that's because I have young kids who like to click on things when they're browsing. Happily, if anything unusual happens (like a pop-up dialogue box), they come and ask me what to do. :D