The seed has been sown...

rknapp

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But as the thread says, I believe the seed has already been sown!

At least somebody corrected the spelling of the thread title. Even without seed somehow being sewn, there's still the question of how a sown seed makes a splash.

Again, they're two different things referencing the same thing. "The seed has been sown" refers to me telling her that I need to confess/admit something (being gay), and that seed has grown into a small plant now that I have come out. It will reach full height to the next set of people I come out to (either parents or all of my friends on Facebook), then bear fruit when I come out to everyone else (either parents or Facebook, whoever I didn't come out to already). "Time to make a splash" is something else entirely which refers to my coming out as splashing my otherwise quiet and unimportant existence.

Ah yes, whatever did people do before Facebook? All those pesky phone calls or emails just to tell a bunch of people that you're married or gay or living in Kalamazoo or whatever. Pain in the ass, I tell ya! Now, all it takes is one FB status update, and everyone you haven't seen since the third grade gets to know all about your life. Gotta love it!

(By the way, this is off topic, but what's with all these people posting pictures of their babies as their profile pics, anyway? I mean, we get that there's a baby boom on, but isn't that just a little over the top?)

Ah yes, whatever did people do before Facebook? All those pesky phone calls or emails just to tell a bunch of people that you're married or gay or living in Kalamazoo or whatever. Pain in the ass, I tell ya! Now, all it takes is one FB status update, and everyone you haven't seen since the third grade gets to know all about your life. Gotta love it!

Robbie, think about something. Not everyone in the world needs, or deserves, to know. No need to get carried away.

Robbie, think about something. Not everyone in the world needs, or deserves, to know. No need to get carried away.

On Facebook, you can choose who does and who doesn't know. Besides, only the people are still in my life will know/care and I get the feeling that none of my friends at my old school will react badly or be disappointed. Besides, its the best way to come out all at once and finally have all of that weight off of my shoulders. I would just rather my parents knew before select family members or friends in town knew.

On Facebook, you can choose who does and who doesn't know. Besides, only the people are still in my life will know/care and I get the feeling that none of my friends at my old school will react badly or be disappointed. Besides, its the best way to come out all at once and finally have all of that weight off of my shoulders. I would just rather my parents knew before select family members or friends in town knew.

I bow to your superior knowledge of Facebook. I suppose just about everyone knows more about Facebook than I. I would still urge discretion; communicate only with those who are important enough to you.

Well, personally I'm in favour of Robbie's big coming out.

I don't have facebook or myspace, but whatever floats your boat (yeah, we needed another metaphor in this thread...)

Some of my friends just don't put a sex they prefer on facebook they leave it blank, but they're still out to everyone that matters or in fact most people they meet. then the few that have changed it from that to something specific as they have come out en-mass, it was still quiet. if you disable the news feed, then only the people who get to know are those that check your page and notice that its different. i think it just depends on how safe where you live is. if its what you want go for it.

congrats on what you've done so far,

celia

Some of my friends just don't put a sex they prefer on facebook they leave it blank, but they're still out to everyone that matters or in fact most people they meet. then the few that have changed it from that to something specific as they have come out en-mass, it was still quiet. if you disable the news feed, then only the people who get to know are those that check your page and notice that its different. i think it just depends on how safe where you live is. if its what you want go for it.

congrats on what you've done so far,

celia

I have no preference set right now. The way I would do a "Facebook coming out" would be changing my relationship status from "single" to "In a relationship with so-and-so". That will done after coming out to my parents.

I have no preference set right now. The way I would do a "Facebook coming out" would be changing my relationship status from "single" to "In a relationship with so-and-so". That will done after coming out to my parents.

<_< ............RU Sure? I would rather yu be safe than sorry. G_d I hope it bodes well for you! Take care, I mean it. :unsure:

ooo yeah your right, thats how the others had done it, Id forgotten about that! yeah, at least 3 people, most likely more aquaintances, I know still have no preference but have a name. or even just 'in a relationship' if they don't want to reveal further. i think thats the best way of doing any preference, leave it blank then put in a person when the time comes.

before they changed the privacy settings on a uni network you could search for everyone who had their settings on one or the other, but suppose now you can't really do that which is a good thing.

goodluck with it,

celia

well id like to say congrats on coming out. when i told my brother and his wife they pretty much said "ok" so that wastn a big deal same with my friends, im pretty much out to all with myspace and facebook, thats actually how my friends here at school found out. i havent told my mom yet, though id imagin she knows, since ive never had a girlfriend and im 26 very liberal and am goin to school for makeup fx, more so for sculptin and mold making but just the idea behind it. i didnt get a chance to tell my father before he passed ,but he asked once and i told him no but he said he didnt care if i was, that he loved me anyway, and he too would make jokes bout it. anyway congrats again. and hope it all goes well with your parents.

well id like to say congrats on coming out. when i told my brother and his wife they pretty much said "ok" so that wastn a big deal same with my friends, im pretty much out to all with myspace and facebook, thats actually how my friends here at school found out. i havent told my mom yet, though id imagin she knows, since ive never had a girlfriend and im 26 very liberal and am goin to school for makeup fx, more so for sculptin and mold making but just the idea behind it. i didnt get a chance to tell my father before he passed ,but he asked once and i told him no but he said he didnt care if i was, that he loved me anyway, and he too would make jokes bout it. anyway congrats again. and hope it all goes well with your parents.

That's awesome, man! :)

I'm glad you had such a positive experience! :2thumbs:

Hahaha, suspenseful?

Here's the rundown:

We ate dinner, and dad left the room to watch TV in the family room.

Mom: "Have you seen Trish lately?"

Me: "Nope, I'm working and she has class."

Mom: "Oh, do you like her (like that)?"

Me: "No."

Mom: "Is there someone else you like?"

Me: "Yes."

Mom: "Who is she? When can I meet her?"

Me: "I don't know if I can tell you."

Then we went into a short debate about not being able to tell my parents something because I don't know how they would react. I can't even say "her" name because it would reveal something else entirely, blah blah blah. Then finally,

Mom: "Do you want me to ask the question?"

Me: "Maybe."

Mom: "Are you gay?"

Me: "Yes."

She accepts me, she loves me no matter what, and wants me to be happy. Her only concern was AIDS. She asked if I'm a virgin, and of course I am. I told her that I'm not a slut, and that I'm not stupid.

She went on to say that my dad would accept me as well, but we should probably keep it from him for a while... until he's senile (her joke).

She said she's kinda suspected. She's asked twice already, and she really knew something was up when Trish told her last summer that I've never kissed her, or held her. Of course, Eric now thinks he was right. SUSPECTING is NOT the same KNOWING!

She said later, "By the way, I love your car thing!" Not sure if that had to do with the stereotype that gays are not greasemonkeys. Sure, gay people are a very clean people... and have been since they came over from France... but some of us are gearheads!

Well I hadn't planned on coming out to either of my parents this soon, but it works for me.

Congratulations, Robbie. I knew everything would work out for you. Just one more big hurdle to jump. Good luck with that!

Thanks for sharing with us the conversation you had with your mom.

Edited by MikeL

*Hums I told you so*

Mothers always know or suspect lol... and I told you that :P

Anyway I'm really glad it worked out for ya... who knows maybe she'll turn in to the PFLAG mom of the year lol (kinda like the mom from Queer as Folk which im not gonna spell cus i'll butcher her name, but Mikey's mom lol)

Sorry... i'm still at work and about to pass out lol

*Hums I told you so*

*giggles*

I rather recall telling you so as well 0:)

:hug:

I'm really happy for you, Robbie! :D:2thumbs::great::music:

Anyway I'm really glad it worked out for ya... who knows maybe she'll turn in to the PFLAG mom of the year lol (kinda like the mom from Queer as Folk which im not gonna spell cus i'll butcher her name, but Mikey's mom lol)

Debbie