Michael Phelps

Tiger

Michael Phelps (an Olympic swimmer from the United States) won his 7th Olympic gold medal. He has 4 more individual events in swimming this year. Thus, he could end up surpassing the record of Larissa Latynina, a former female Russian gymnast. However, it should be noted that she would still of the overall record of 18 (9 gold, 5 silver, and 4 bronze). Will he pull it off? Edited by Tiger

Yes he could. He's an amazing swimmer and he's technique has improved drastically since the last Olympics. From what I heard, he's also been training since the Olympics were over in 2004 at Greece.

He gonna kick some butt and take some names

You Go Boy!

Eric (Phelpsaholic)

Actually, I think Michael Phelps has a better chance of winning 8 or more gold medals. This would break the record held by Mark Spitz.

Edited by MikeL

I think Michael have a good chance to take a shot at Spitz's record, I never seen this swimmer do good since Ian "Torpedo" Thorpe of Australia back in 2000 and 2004 (he retired after Athens 2004, right?)

I think Michael have a good chance to take a shot at Spitz's record, I never seen this swimmer do good since Ian "Torpedo" Thorpe of Australia back in 2000 and 2004 (he retired after Athens 2004, right?)

No, he's at The Olympics now. He is going to be competing for some more medals. He has already won one. He has 7 so far in his career. 3 more will mean a record.

Edited by Tiger

Even if he doesn't make history this year it will probably happen the next Olympics, he's still a youngin' and I've enjoyed watching so far. :P:wub:

Gold medals? No, I just watched him get the bronze. Total medals? Yes. I think he has it in him to get 10 total medals this years, but 10 golds might have to wait.

I don't think Michael has competed yet tonight...?

Gold medals? No, I just watched him get the bronze. Total medals? Yes. I think he has it in him to get 10 total medals this years, but 10 golds might have to wait.

:huh: I didnt see that yet... it was the preliminaries...

He did compete in team competition. The French thought they would win, but they totally got spanked by Team USA! :D

Should Michael Phelps win 8 gold medals (both individual and team) he will win the record for that. Thus, is hunting two records. :great:

Edited by Tiger

He did compete in team competition. The French thought they would win, but they totally got spanked by Team USA! :D

The French got spanked! lol

But honestly I thought the French would win but within the last .02 seconds, the Americans came out and whomped them!

I have never been more proud of my USA swimmers :)

I just saw the US mens team win gold with a world record in the 4x100 freestyle...Phelp's second gold medal in the '08 Olympics.

That was an exciting medal competition. :)

Tomorrow, he has another event. I can't remember which one it is. If he wins, it will be his 8th gold medal in single's competition and his 3rd medal in Beijing. :)

• Site Administrator

Winning eight golds is, I think, a tough ask. Possible, but not likely. The number of swims he has to do to reach eight golds is a lot more than Mark Spitz had to do to get his seven.

As for reaching a total of ten golds by the end of these games -- very doable. He's a remarkable swimmer. One of the best in the world, and probably the best overall swimmer today. I would, reluctantly, rate him as a superior swimmer to Ian Thorpe, mainly because of his versatility in swimming strokes, and Ian Thorpe was a phenomenon. :)

One of the best? I would say he's hands down the best swimmer ever. Look how many world and Olympic records he has broken. He's also still young enough that he could easily continue in London in 2012 if he so desires. He's simply amazing. Baltimore seems to have a swimming dynasty forming, and he is definitely the face of it. Speaking of his face, he's also cute. :wub:

What does Fred think of having a son showing so much skin to the world? Or is he related to Jim and have electronic devices explode after 5 seconds?

Wrong Phelps... He is of no relation to the Fred Phelps in Wichita. Ironically, his father's name is also Fred. If I were him, I'd want an immediate name change. :blink:

I just saw the US mens team win gold with a world record in the 4x100 freestyle...Phelp's second gold medal in the '08 Olympics.

That was, by far, the best race! Our guys were freaking AMAZING, but I have to give credit where it's due... Jason Lezak kicked some ass, he's the hero!

That was, by far, the best race! Our guys were freaking AMAZING, but I have to give credit where it's due... Jason Lezak kicked some ass, he's the hero!

Exactly. I love the Anchor Jason he rocked. :) And they're all sexy.. lol.