I can't see - Redux

The following is a bit rant-y, and I realize that it is mostly my own damn fault. But that doesn't change my mood.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a contact lens wearer. I love my contacts. Love them, love them, love them. They are so wonderful for sports (especially hockey) and the whole peripheral vision thing.

I am not only a contact lens user, I'm also an abuser. I'm the person who wears disposable lenses and when you ask me when the last time I switched was, I can't really remember precisely. I sleep in my lenses more often than not.

I hate wearing glasses. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Fortunately, I don't do it very often. I can count the number of times that I've spent a day in glasses in the past two years without even needing to take off my shoes. My current pair of glasses is about a year and a half old (the last time I had gotten my eyes checked by an optometrist, gotten new lens prescription too). This pair never seemed right to me, but I never spent enough time wearing them to figure out if they were incorrect (in prescription or fitting) or if I just am not remotely used to glasses.

Now, the story jumps to about two weeks ago, when I went to get my eyes checked. I hadn't seen an opthamologist in several years, and I knew my vision had gotten worse from my last prescription. [side note: the whole 'your eyes stabilize as you get older?' - not true when you spend your days in front of a computer screen or reading other written materials.]

The doctor was very nice. Gave me a clean bill of health and issued me my new glasses prescription, which is a decent amount off from the last one. I'm getting even more near-sighted (which I tend to forget how bad it can be when I have my lenses in), but slightly less astigmatic. Then I went to see the contact lens guy (an optometrist) who wanted me to test out two different left lenses before issuing me my new prescription. Lens #1 never felt quite right. I took it out a few time to see if maybe I had it wrong. But lens #2 felt just fine. It more closely matched the type of lens I had been using before (it's a question whether I still need a toric in that eye).

I went back this morning, planning to report that lens #2 was better and to be given my new prescription so I could go on my merry way. When the optometrist looked in my eyes, he discovered a minor problem. It looked like an early infection in my left eye - could be nothing, but he needed me to see the doctor.

The opthamologist confirmed what was suspected. Corneal ulcer (which is a bacterial infection) that needs antibiotic treatment pronto. She told me to chuck the lens, and that I could plan on being in glasses for 10-14 days minimum. I pointed out that since I felt fine, had gotten a clean bill of health 2 weeks prior, and had just planned to get a prescription, I hadn't even brought my glasses with me and I couldn't drive home without my lenses in. And of course, I hadn't gotten the new glasses precription taken care of yet, because I was waiting on the one for the lenses, and I almost never wear glasses.

So...on my way home, I went to order a new pair of glasses (it'll take 7-10 days), dropped off the prescription for the antibiotics to get that started as soon as possible, and took out the lenses. When I ordered the new glasses, the lady commented that they were a nice bit stronger than the last pair. (Gee, thanks!) With the old glasses, things aren't the best. I can drive, though I won't be reading any signs anytime soon, and I'll be more comfortable handing the responsibility off to my weekend visitor. The letters on my monitor are a bit fuzzy/blurry.

The rational part of me knows that this is my own damn fault for not heeding my mother's advice about taking care of my eyes (you only get one pair!). It also knows that I'm lucky about the timing here (when I chose to see the doctor and how that played out) and I'm lucky that the professionals treating me took things seriously and didn't just send me off with a prescription and the potential for unknown damage.

But there is also a part of me that is just annoyed at the thought of having to work out - and even worse, play hockey - in glasses (they fog up terribly). I'm annoyed that I won't be able to see clearly for a good week or so, and I'm annoyed that I don't know exactly when I'll be cleared for contact lenses again.

Sounds like karmic response for you considered opposition for my destined rise to power. I guess I'm lucky, I was told at a young age that I have 'disgustinly perfect' eyes :D Too bad about my teeth though

(future) :king: Snow Dog the Lukaholic Danderthal

• 2 weeks later...

An Update (not that anyone really cares) - I can see clearly now...

The infection is all gone, and I'm back in contact lenses - Hurrah! I'm also making a point not to sleep in them and to switch to back and forth with my NEW glasses more often. We'll see how long that lasts.

Plans to continue my oppositional campaign for emperor will resume shortly.

An Update (not that anyone really cares) - I can see clearly now...

The infection is all gone, and I'm back in contact lenses - Hurrah! I'm also making a point not to sleep in them and to switch to back and forth with my NEW glasses more often. We'll see how long that lasts.

Plans to continue my oppositional campaign for emperor will resume shortly.

If you think something silly like you now having vision will deter my destined rise to power then you truly are blind.

:king: Snow Dog the Domaholic Danderthal

Hmm, I think this lack of vision thing is being passed around. I don't wear glasses or contacts or anything, but my vision in my right eye has been really weird since about 8.30 this evening (3hours ago), it feels like I've looked at a really bright light and then looked away, I have the same weird blotches in my vision...not really sure what that's all about, but its really rather distracting.