Roommate do's and do nots

Linxe Termoil

Hello everyone, and welcome to this evening's discussion of roommates: Do's and Do Not's.

My name is Jon and I'll be your host.

Sorry for the sarcasm. I'm just curious, at what point in time do you draw the battle line between you and your roommate. My roommate has been living here for a couple of months now and and he seems to think he can sit here and party with whomever whenever he wants until 5 or 6 in the morning. Because of this, I've ended up adjusting my sleeping hours to reflect this, and find it to be a pain in the butt. He feels because he pays 5% of the rent and 5% of the bills that that entitles him to do whatever he wants, even though his name is not on the lease. The last time he had a party here an xbox 360 that didn't belong to him or myself was stolen, and it was at that point in time that I told him he could no longer have a party here, and the Landlady said he couldn't either or she'd come pack his stuff up herself. Tonight he ended up throwing a party anyways, even though after I tried warning him that I would call the police myself, due to the fact that he is a minor and most of his friends are minor's as well. Needless to say I ended up calling the police myself and I'm trying to figure out if I'm in the right or wrong. Just curious what everyone else's opinions are.

Jon

Its obvious that there is incompatibility.

But do try to stear things to a win-win situation.

i.e. Offer Assisting him finding him an alternative housing

But you don't owe him a cent due to the disrespect to you and the land lady

If he doesn't accept - don't feel bad.

Having parties that violates your safe haven puts you at risk as well as him.

Issues of Drugs, Alcohol, Robbery, etc - all because he allows people you don't know in.

Just guarantee that he parts peacefully.

Its important to have both yours and his best interest in mind.

Essentially, if he can be a danger to you or other people

work towards a best interest

• Site Moderator

Unfortunately, he's already put at the risk of being evicted. Even though he's not on the lease, he has taken up residence with you and the landlady could kick both of you out, with notice of course. The only legal way you can kick him out is to get an eviction notice yourself for him to move out.

Several years ago, an ex of mine moved over from Indiana to where I'm at now to try the job market here. After a few months, I was served notice by the landlord that we had to move. The reason, the other tenants were uncomfortable with him around. And he wasn't the type to cause trouble.

Unfortunately, he's already put at the risk of being evicted. Even though he's not on the lease, he has taken up residence with you and the landlady could kick both of you out, with notice of course. The only legal way you can kick him out is to get an eviction notice yourself for him to move out.

Several years ago, an ex of mine moved over from Indiana to where I'm at now to try the job market here. After a few months, I was served notice by the landlord that we had to move. The reason, the other tenants were uncomfortable with him around. And he wasn't the type to cause trouble.

Ouch, sorry you got evicted cause other people were uncomfortable with him around. I guess I should explain something here, the landlady is my mom. This used to be my dad's house and I'm paying to buy it from my mom. The roommate is also my cousin, and after I wrote this he got bailed out from jail and came back to try pushing me around a bit, but we ended up talking a bit like human beings, so I think we'll be okay, unfortunately the minute he put his hands on me was the minute I made the decision that he's gone one way or the other. Touching someone in an offensive manner is a definite no no in my book, especially after he started breaking stuff in the house itself. One of his friends though was polite enough and respected me enough to keep him away from me after he shoved me around.

Soo..so far we have:

Don't shove your roommate around

Don't have parties against a roommate's wishes

Don't call the police on your roommate without fair warning

Don't allow family to move in with you, they'll try to walk all over you and get pissed when you let them know they can't do that anymore.

Do have respect towards one another

Do establish ground rules before anyone moves in.

Do make sure you're compatible with one another.

Am I missing anything?

Jon

Eh, I have one very simple rule for myself that serves me extremely well:

Do NOT have a roommate under any circumstances

:boy::P

Seriously, I tried the roommate thing when I first moved out and it wasn't a total disaster, but there's no contest at all between that and living alone, at least for me.

I don't intend to live with anyone else again - especially friends or family - until I find a guy I intend to keep around for good and maybe raise a couple kids...and even then he and the kids better be good or I'm getting my own place 0:)

Best of luck with your situation!

-Kevin

I agree with Kevin. I'd rather live alone. People are highly overrated, especially when they live in the same house as you do. :P

LoL. I think I agree with you guys on this, I just find it ridiculous that I have a three bedroom house all to myself, and am able to cover all the bills and payments on my own. Mayhaps I won't have anymore roommates after all, just figured I'd try and make some money off the deal, alas, I think it's gonna cost me more money than what I was getting out of the deal.

Hrm...so Kevin :wub: lives alone huh....Want a new pet? (I mean me) I'm quiet and clean up after myself, I even cook and clean, do back massages, etc. I also get along with other pets (I mean the furry/swimmy/slithering kind). Children are optional.

LoL,

Jon

I agree with Kevin. I'd rather live alone. People are highly overrated, especially when they live in the same house as you do. :P

LoL. I think I agree with you guys on this, I just find it ridiculous that I have a three bedroom house all to myself, and am able to cover all the bills and payments on my own. Mayhaps I won't have anymore roommates after all, just figured I'd try and make some money off the deal, alas, I think it's gonna cost me more money than what I was getting out of the deal.

Hrm...so Kevin :wub: lives alone huh....Want a new pet? (I mean me) I'm quiet and clean up after myself, I even cook and clean, do back massages, etc. I also get along with other pets (I mean the furry/swimmy/slithering kind). Children are optional.

LoL,

Jon

Jon...you and Kevin both prefer to live alone but you suggest a merger? Consider the house an investment.

Personally, I disagree with all who prefer living alone. Perhaps that's just me. It's not always easy living with someone else, but if you learn from your mistakes and master the art of togetherness, the benefits can be awesome.

Eh, I have one very simple rule for myself that serves me extremely well:

Do NOT have a roommate under any circumstances

:boy::P

Seriously, I tried the roommate thing when I first moved out and it wasn't a total disaster, but there's no contest at all between that and living alone, at least for me.

I don't intend to live with anyone else again - especially friends or family - until I find a guy I intend to keep around for good and maybe raise a couple kids...and even then he and the kids better be good or I'm getting my own place 0:)

Best of luck with your situation!

-Kevin

You know I have been following that advice.

The only time I didn't follow it was having girl#0.

After she was being disrespectful in a few ways - out she went - back to the girlfriend she missed who got married.

LOL, Jon, well I'm certainly always looking for something friendly and cuddly :boy:

I agree- the best room mates are NO room mates.

If you must have one to make rent, that's another issue but I believe in being self-sufficent.

I don't put myself in the position of needing to depend on anyone else because people suck and you will be disappointed.

If you depend on someone else to make rent, a ride to work or anything else, make it your business to become self-sufficent ASAP because it is only a matter of time until you get burned and you can be burned badly.

Heh... so the last Latin party I went to... well, basically there's a house near campus for certain foreign exchange students who happen to be of Latin descent. Now, they have parties a lot. It was cold outside this particular night, so nearly everyone was inside.

Nearly all of the at least 100 people at that party were inside... inside a really old house... in the living room... on a rickety old wooden floor... with salsa music playing and everyone drunk and dancing...

The floor caved in.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc...0052603_616.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc...052607_1669.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc...052599_9591.jpg

So.... basically.... kick that guy's ass out because if you don't, your floor might cave in. :)

• 1 month later...