Accents

Favorite Accent  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which Accent do you find the most attractive?

• English
    • French
    • Scottish/Irish
    • Australian
    • Spanish/South/Central American
    • Caribbean
    • US - West Coast (think surfer)
    • US - Southern
    • US - Midwest (think farm boys)
    • US - Northeast (except New York)
    • US - New York
    • Eastern European/Russian
    • Asian
    • Italian
    • Arabic

Wikipedia has an interesting article on Southern US English pronunciation

That was rather well done. Thanks for the link.

It gives the best explanation of "all y'all" I've seen, though I think it may be a bit too narrow, but close enough.

The article could stand a discourse on "might could," too. That's a construction that seems to be lost on most of the English speaking world outside the South.

• Site Administrator

I have to say that I have an interesting take on the southern accent. I was raised by a southern dad but in the Pacific NW. I am incredibly picky about proper speech and using correct words instead of contractions but I often do so in a drawl, especially if I am really tired or drunk. I think that a lot of people equate the accent with the speech pattern and that is not always so. I have never said junto (some of my sibs. from back east say this for you want to?)or them there and I absolutely hate it when people say Worshington as I grew up in Washington...no o or r in that word, thanks!

For my preference I would go Irish and Scottish accents. It's not the colliquilisms but the sound of the r's rolling that I love. A scots man saying things like murder would have me sighing in a dreamy state, lol.

I absolutely hate it when people say Worshington

I remember hearing people say "worsh" for "wash" when I was little, but I can't recall hearing it in years. I think my father may have said it that way at one time, but as I grew up, either he got away from it, or maybe I just noticed it less. I think some people said something more between "worsh" and "wawsh" anyway. Maybe it is one of those things Southerners got from the Irish. I recall President Kennedy talking about "Coober," though he left out the r's that were really there.

The slowest drawl I've ever heard anyone speak was spoken by a guy from Washington state who didn't move to the South until he retired. He had a bit of Mid-West twang, or something like that, that kept him from sounding Southern. I've not spent time in that state other than a few days in Seattle, so I have no idea what part he came from.

I was reading an artical on wikipedia, that stated that the northern midwestern american accent was the standerd accent.

Of course, the area i live in has a unque, have you seen the movie North Country? That is my accent.

But I personally like the English accent, and Irish too.

I was reading an artical on wikipedia, that stated that the northern midwestern american accent was the standerd accent.

Of course, the area i live in has a unque, have you seen the movie North Country? That is my accent.

I haven't seen North Country, but I did see Fargo. Does that count?

Edited by MikeL
  • 2 weeks later...

Having grown up in Europe, I'm intrigued by all English accents (British, American, Aussie...). I'm not very good at detecting American accents yet - they have to really stand out. The easiest to recognize is Southern, though I wouldn't have a clue what state it's from... and if you really drop your r's and say "Paak y'caa" I will guess you're from Boston....lol. If you don't have either of those, I will be clueless...