Message Board Topic 11/16

Comsie

There you are...you're writing your story, and you're trying to get from the beginning (Point A) to the end (Point B) as smoothly and naturally as humanly possible. You want to have a believable build up, and a natural progression between the major points of your plot. It just makes for a fun ride.

But how does an author successfully go from one 'scene' to another without making it seem jumpy or weird? The characters can't just meet in the park, then you jump to them kissing, then jump to them getting naked in a hotel room three miles away. What happens in BETWEEN those moments? And how can you smooth that transition out in an enjoyable way without 'talking too much' or boring your audience? What techniques do you use, as a writer, to bring your readers from one event to the next without leaving out major details or giving the impression that your 'skipping' stuff to race to the end? Let us know what you think!

I've never really thought about it really. I don't craft my stories I just tell them so they kind of unfold as they will. I 'live' my stories for so long as I write them, talking to my characters and getting to know them, knowing what they would say, what they would do. I set them down and give them a little push and off they go.

Most of my stories are not about events they are about characters going on a journey and I just describe the journey so I suppose that's the link...the journey. They get off at a stop here and there and then get back on again.

I do sometimes get hung up about how to get from A to B so that we arrive at C but I just spend a day 'talking' to the charcters and they usually tell me. If not I change A and B... maybe even C :)

This is something that has always been a problem for me. I know it souds rather dull but in those intervening moments/days/weeks between A and B, I usually either describe them with a few sentences as dull and unimportant, thus telling the reader to just skip it, OR I try and make them a little more exciting by showing the characters' excitement/aprehension/etc at what is going to happen/not happen when we finally arrive at B.

And through all this... I still have to makr sure that I get to C as Nephy put it. Which sometimes doesnt work out... And like Nephy, I either make a few adjustments or just let the story evolve from where I am at currently.

If anyone else has their own ideas or ways to get around this, i would LOVE to hear them.