The Pillars of the Earth

I agree with Tipdin, the book is excellent. I read it about 10 years ago but it's stayed with me ever since. The tale is epic. I hope the transfer to the screen gives it justice.

I don't have Starz, I'm actually shocked that Tigers crappy cable has it for him.....

I also have not read the book, But it comes highly recommended to me, I just have not had the time. I have read other novels by Ken Follett though, And he is a good author.

I also have noticed for the last week at work as I walk by the books section of the grocery store that Ken has written a sequel to Pillars of the Earth finally, It is called World Without End.

I don't have Starz, I'm actually shocked that Tigers crappy cable has it for him.....

Well, Starz! was something I got specifically. That's why I have Starz! and Encore. :P

• Site Administrator

Well I shouldn't have done it, but I did. I went to Hulu and watched the first two episodes. Now I'm hooked and don't know if I will be able to watch anymore :(

Thanks Tim :D

I watched the first episode. It's quite good, though I'd imagine people who read the book (which I didn't) might be disappointed. It's 56 minutes, they could easily have made it one hour and a half, because it's fast paced and quite close to being rushed. As you have many characters and at least two big story-lines being developed at first, you need to focus to get who's who.

But overall a pleasant watching experience. Gave me the occasion to go back checking on English history (to discover the many inaccuracies in the film... Which doesn't matter much.)

• 1 month later...

Wow, that was a whirlwind of a miniseries. There was plenty of twists and turns around every corner. If things were half as bad in those times, it would have truly been a terrible time to be alive. I loved the ending though. All the bad guys got what they deserved, and most of the good guys lived happily ever after.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Finally got to see Episodes 3 through 7 today (look up couch potato today and there will be a picture of me). I really enjoyed the whole series from beginning to end. Like Tiger the end wrapped things up really nicely.

Does anyone know if it is remotely factual, or totally fiction based?

Thanks for recommending it Tim :2thumbs: