Skyline

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you text while driving?

• Yes frequently
    • Yes occasionally
    • I have, but don't frequently
    • I have, but basically never
    • No I never text while driving
  2. 2. Do you feel that texting while driving is dangerous?

• Yes, extremely so
    • Yes, moderately so
    • Neutral
    • No, not particularly
    • No, not at all

How'd they test that on mythbusters?

They drove in a circular course with cones ... regular ... drunk ... on cell ... the cell - looked terrible

- - - -

As for personal experience ... imagine being on a high way driving on the center lane ... suddenly someone answers the cell in the center lane ... they slow down to 35mph from 80mph

suddenly many cars dive left and right ... creating a potential danger for all ... speeding cars in the left and right lanes going 80 and cars ducking left or right trying to accelerate back to 80.

It be really scary if someone does texting ... what if they don't stray from their lane ... imagine them impact from 80 to 35... it would close the highway down.

Totally illegal in Australia... but people still do it. Biggest offenders? Soccer mums in their SUVs who try to kill me on my way to work.

my favourite way of getting back at them?

slowing down as much as i can without seriously disrupting the traffic and then ignoring them when they flash / beep / harrass me.

Of course, this only works if they're behind me.

It's kind of fun. I get a massive adrenaline rush from it. Of course, someone is totally going to roadrage and kill me one day.... If they don't kill themslves first.

you really kinda tapped into my pet hate here :D

HAHAHA I think everyone hates soccer mums that do that :P

The amount of times I've almost been in an accident by someone texting/talking on their mobile is well never.

I'm still not legal to get my L plates yet, but since my mobile is one with a full keypad and I need 2 hands to text on it, I can either learn to drive with my knees or not text.

It has also been made illegal here to use any kind of handheld device while driving. If you are seen using your device (besides a bluetooth) you can receive a fine upwards of $200 among other punishments. Overall I can't say I'm disappointed to see this legislation implemented. Its also good to see most people on GA seem to feel the same way! xD

Okay, I'm not that great of a driver to begin with. Give me a phone to deal with and I'm helpless. I actually remember being in the car with my best friend as we were pulling out of the Waffle House. I was driving and I got a text. I reached for my phone and she grabbed it out of my hands. Her words to me were "HJ, you didn't see a big yellow freaking school bus coming down the road the other day. There is no way in heck you are getting this phone back till we get to Wal-Mart!" Therefore, I don't text and drive. After watching that vid any thought of ever doing so will quickly be expelled from my mind.

In fact, I believe that phones should have GPS systems in them that will shut the phone off if the GPS detects significant movement.

Yeeeeaaaa so passengers shouldn't be able to text or talk either.....or in cases of emergency...

Seriously?

No one should text while driving. It should be a hard misdemeanor or a lower felony. Why? It's about as dangerous as drinking and driving. It's not just the person doing it that's affected. Wrecks often involve more than one vehicle.

This is one of those things, I think, that really just lets you see what is important to people. Obviously, some people prefer intelligence. Some prefer using their fingers to get them in trouble. Some just prefer to collect the data after the auto pileups on the highways.

Why can't we all just get along? :P

It's illegal in Quebec and I know why. Just don't do it. I try to do it when I'm at a stop light but stop once I have to go. The person can wait.

Otherwise, pull over. Some drivers have a bat in the trunk, so you don't want to provoke them. Yeah, that's Montreal driving.