Texting and Driving

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you text while driving?

• Yes frequently
    • Yes occasionally
    • I have, but don't frequently
    • I have, but basically never
    • No I never text while driving
  2. 2. Do you feel that texting while driving is dangerous?

• Yes, extremely so
    • Yes, moderately so
    • Neutral
    • No, not particularly
    • No, not at all

So I saw this video today, and it got me wondering about how the GA community feels about this (I think) all too common occurrence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebhWD6ljZs

Feel free to share your opinions why and why not in either direction. I don't think that this should get really heated, but in the event it does, obviously I request that a moderator move it to the soapbox.

Personally I feel the texting while driving is extremely dangerous, and I frequently tell people I drive with not to if I see them doing it. I can barely walk while texting, nevermind drive S: It doesnt help that my phone has a touch screen so I actually have to look at it which would only make it more difficult. As a result, I never text when I drive. How about everyone else?

I absolutely hate people who do it!

It is extremely dangerous!!

In my family, my dad is the only one who frequently does it.

If i see him, i immediately offer to reply back whatever the text is myself.

• Site Moderator

I don't text myself. And if I do receive one while driving, I wait to read it.

All the service plaza's along the PA Turnpike have signs up that say, The PA Turnpike is a Text Free Zone.

My phone is turned off from the moment I get behind the wheel to the moment I shut the engine off at my destination. I don't talk or text when I'm driving because it takes more than the average concentration to avoid all the idiots out there who ARE chatting and messaging with their buddies. I've had several people come across the yellow line on me and quite a few have just about hit me head on because they were yapping their mouths on the phone and not paying attention to what the rest of their body is doing.

Texting and driving is banned where I live and I'm hoping they will push further and ban talking on the phone, too.

So I saw this video today, and it got me wondering about how the GA community feels about this (I think) all too common occurrence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebhWD6ljZs

Feel free to share your opinions why and why not in either direction. I don't think that this should get really heated, but in the event it does, obviously I request that a moderator move it to the soapbox.

Personally I feel the texting while driving is extremely dangerous, and I frequently tell people I drive with not to if I see them doing it. I can barely walk while texting, nevermind drive S: It doesnt help that my phone has a touch screen so I actually have to look at it which would only make it more difficult. As a result, I never text when I drive. How about everyone else?

I agree that texting and even talking on the phone is stupid but I can't say I don't talk while driving. Although I use an ear piece, it is only marginally better. Yes I know it is dumb, and honestly, I am not as important as I like to think when I answer the call because it is someone from work. I think I will make a concerted effort not to do it anymore.

As for texting, while I don't text while driving, I am guilty of reading them - which is probably not a lot better. Another note to self - don't even read them.

One other thought. Texting/Talking isn't the only thing we should ban, it is just the most visible. Yesterday on the expressway we saw someone reading a sheet of paper she had up against the steering wheel - most likely directions. That is no better than reading a text. I suppose i need to avoid that too. If this were a test, I just got an F-. :/

Thanks for the PSA Sky - i think I am going to spread it around work tomorrow.

Andy

The freedom to own guns, buy as much booze as you want to, smoke crack, talk on your cell phone while driving all have one thing in common:

they are the drain at the bottom of the gene pool.

Goodness knows we've got plenty of people from the shallow end. We should encourage them to own guns, drink, smoke crack, talk on their cell phones and text while driving.

The freedom to own guns, buy as much booze as you want to, smoke crack, talk on your cell phone while driving all have one thing in common:

they are the drain at the bottom of the gene pool.

Goodness knows we've got plenty of people from the shallow end. We should encourage them to own guns, drink, smoke crack, talk on their cell phones and text while driving.

Lol, that's a little frightening considering tub drains pull water from the top when the whirlpool effect starts ... 0:)

Texting or talking on a hand-held phone while driving is just plain stupid. It should be illegal and carry VERY heavy fines, maybe even jail time. In fact, I believe that phones should have GPS systems in them that will shut the phone off if the GPS detects significant movement.

There is NOBODY that needs to answer phone calls and text messages while driving. NOBODY.

• Like 1

I usually won't even pick up on a call while I'm driving and I ignore texts completely until I stop. And when I'm in the car with someone that texts while driving, I tell them to stop and I get out and walk. Yes, it's rude of me, but I'd rather be rude and alive than polite and dead.

• Like 1

Ummm ... I don't know ... maybe because the idiots end up taking out those of us who have more sense? Personally, I don't want to be killed in a head on crash just because Suzie Cheerleader can't wait to tell her BFF that she has a date with this awesomely hot dude from the football team.

The gene pool will be restricted to just idiots if those of us who have the ability to see the consequences of actions don't tell them they are stupid ...

• Like 1

I think there's a distinct difference in safety between talking on the phone (with your eyes on the road) and texting (with your eyes on the phone).

I live in Missouri, which is embarrassing enough in and of itself, but recently our idiotic legislature passed a ban on texting. The ban only applied to those UNDER 25. How stupid is that? At least the younger people are good at it. I almost got sideswiped by some 60ish guy texting away just yesterday. You can certainly tell that people under the age of 25 don't vote in big numbers.

• Like 1

I usually won't even pick up on a call while I'm driving and I ignore texts completely until I stop. And when I'm in the car with someone that texts while driving, I tell them to stop and I get out and walk. Yes, it's rude of me, but I'd rather be rude and alive than polite and dead.

Rude? NOT! YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT!

I think there's a distinct difference in safety between talking on the phone (with your eyes on the road) and texting (with your eyes on the phone).

I live in Missouri, which is embarrassing enough in and of itself, but recently our idiotic legislature passed a ban on texting. The ban only applied to those UNDER 25. How stupid is that? At least the younger people are good at it. I almost got sideswiped by some 60ish guy texting away just yesterday. You can certainly tell that people under the age of 25 don't vote in big numbers.

That is indeed stupid!

I could never text while driving . . . I don't have a phone w/ a keyboard and I have a strange allergy to text-talk . . . I'd get in an accident for sure trying to type "What's up?" with the apostrophe and everything. It's taken me 15 years of internet usage to be able to use lol :-P

I've been guilty of reading/texting messages while driving before, and I kicked that habit a while back. It is dangerous, and people shouldn't do it, and for a long time I had to put my phone in the back seat of the car to prevent myself from doing it. :)

My boyfriend (who drives like there's no one else on the road), fortunately, knows that texting and driving is bad so when I'm with him, the only thing that frightens me is his driving only. :lol:

Edited by Arpeggio

I could never text while driving . . . I don't have a phone w/ a keyboard and I have a strange allergy to text-talk . . . I'd get in an accident for sure trying to type "What's up?" with the apostrophe and everything. It's taken me 15 years of internet usage to be able to use lol :-P

I have that problem too. I just can't bring myself to type "what r u doing?" instead of "what are you doing?" I think it's because Sharon is my editor. I see her there with her whips and chains, and it scares me.biggrin.gif

I've been guilty of reading/texting messages while driving before, and I kicked that habit a while back. It is dangerous, and people shouldn't do it, and for a long time I had to put my phone in the back seat of the car to prevent myself from doing it. :)

My boyfriend (who drives like there's no one else on the road), fortunately, knows that texting and driving is bad so when I'm with him, the only thing that frightens me is his driving only. :lol:

If I was in the car with your boyfriend, I'd be too busy staring at him.laugh.gif

• Like 1

It's illegal where we are, and I get really scared when someone drives the car I'm in and texts, but Mr. Daisy has to do it, because if his ex-wife calls or texts and he doesn't text *immediately*, she will withhold his kids from him for weeks (and she's scary enough when she gets her yelling fits). :wacko:

Totally illegal in Australia... but people still do it. Biggest offenders? Soccer mums in their SUVs who try to kill me on my way to work.

my favourite way of getting back at them?

slowing down as much as i can without seriously disrupting the traffic and then ignoring them when they flash / beep / harrass me.

Of course, this only works if they're behind me.

It's kind of fun. I get a massive adrenaline rush from it. Of course, someone is totally going to roadrage and kill me one day.... If they don't kill themslves first.

you really kinda tapped into my pet hate here :D

Texting is much worse than making a phone call while you're driving, not that I endorse that. If you really must have a phone call while driving, use those Bluetooth things or use the speakerphone.

If you're making a call, at least your eyes are still on the road.

If you're texting, it's as bad as drinking & driving, shaving, applying make-up (for those women out there), giving yourself a haircut, watching a movie, typing an e-mail, surfing the web etc while driving. It's crazy what some people do behind the wheel.

Edited by thephoenix