Illustrators

I think it is just fine to bring it up here Dom. I don't have any suggestions right now, but I do have some ideas I want to check out. What age range in childrens books does she want to work with, or rather what age of children does she want to reach with her art?

Mike

You are such a good big brother :D

I know there are a lot of places on the web that do fanart, but after a fast search I can say it will probably take you and your sister a while to find what you are looking for unless someone else here knows of anything. I do have a friend who is going to school to do anime and is actually working in a really cool job while doing it. I would be happy to ask him if he had any hints for you, but I think what he will probably say is for your sister to look around her community. Sometimes the public school system in my area will offer a variety of art classes in the evening and also during the summer. We also have community colleges and other art centers that provide classes to the general public. See if you find any programs in your area. Again, I don't know if they would have anything specificly for illustration, but the more she explored different art styles the better.

She could also go to the library (I have library on the brain) and spend some time with the picture books. She can pick out a few books that have illustrations that she really likes and use those as mentors. That way she could experiement with different styles and even see if she can find some information on those illustrators to see how they got started. My personal favorite is Mo Willems who is the author and illustrator of Don't Let the Pideon Drive the Bus,A Pideon Finds a Hot Dog, and Knuffle Bunny among others. Mo rocks!

Here is a link to a site called "The Purple Crayon" http://www.underdown.org/

Its has some information about the market for children's books and illustrations. It might also have some other links your sister might find helpful.

Good luck!