Tech Stuff: Beware Nerds in thread :P

W_L

This was an interesting article and surprised me, I didn't realize that Linux had been incorporated in so many electronics. I keep thinking of Linux like the open source operating system or the open source program using their code, not ATMs, TV's, and especially not Android phones.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/25/linux.20/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I remember my first experience with the penguin, I had converted my old Windows 98 to run Linux back in high school and thought it was kind of like a downgraded version of Windows. The Penguin never quite grew on me and I eventually threw out the old computer and went for a Window XP dual core desktop.

Anyone else want to talk Linux and its capabilities?

Linux is the stuff of dreams. It's used almost exclusively in any kind of hard science. We've got about 11 computers in my lab, not including a cluster, all of which have at least one distro. My favorite is Mint with KDElite. In all reality, though, it's all about power and flexibility. It's so easy to SSH and work from home. So easy to pull a signal through fiber or firewire. So easy to customize and compile your own software.