Good News Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I'm not sure if it's real either. I've found it at a few places, with some expanded details:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/grandfather-viral-letter-daughter-disowning-kicking-gay-grandson-article-1.1476437

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/03/heartless-b-word-of-a-daughter-grandpa-pens-viral-letter-disowning-his-daughter-for-kicking-her-gay-son-out-of-the-house/

It originally appeared at a clothing store facebook page, apparently sent in by the grandson in question. If it's real, his grandfather showed it to him and he took a picture of it, and then sent it in. Plausible, and I'd like to think it's a true story. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope that this story is true and if it is, it is definitely good news! I confess I cried a bit reading it (a good cry).

Story-of-Kyle-nothing-beats-a-friend.jpg

That's not good news :o that makes me want to cry :( the whole thing makes me want to cry :(

• Like 1

Okay, the Australian posts a story from America and the American posts a story from Australia.... I can live with that :DGood news stories are international :great:

OK, well here's one from the UK to give some global balance... bought a dozen free-range eggs on Saturday for £1.20... paid into an Honesty Box :D

• Like 1

OK, well here's one from the UK to give some global balance... bought a dozen free-range eggs on Saturday for £1.20... paid into an Honesty Box :D

At the farmers' market here, they'd cost $5.00.

At the farmers' market here, they'd cost $5.00.

2 €

Good news: My best friend has finally a job again.

Edited by aditus
  • Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Oh, wow...

This is one of those times I wish I could 'like' something more than once. In this case, 26 times, one for each of the stories in that link :boy:

• Like 1

I liked seeing those stories, and I wish there would be more interest in the idea.  I get so tired of always hearing the bad things.  I try to leave it but it's hard to do because it's everywhere.  The world gives more to the bad than the good, and it's ruining everything.  Maybe some time people will understand how important it is, and then maybe they never will.  I don't know.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I finished my paper and project for my solid state electronics class!

I'm riding an A into finals.

Tomorrow I present my gadget and how it works.

My project is a smart geiger counter that can connect to computers for data logging.

It's smart enough to network the devices together and connect to a central hub so they can monitor radiation levels over a large area- like say around the Chernobyl exclusion zone, the ruins if the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, any number of open air or underground test sites that need to be monitored on a long term basis.

Each node will cost ~$300, the hub $1200. They run on a Linux core with programming in static RAM with a geiger-muller tube, wi-fi, solar power and a GPS Chip.

Depending on the detector tube, prices may vary. :P

I'm excited about more than my anthology entry.

Wow! Some people talk about what they're going to do, and some people go ahead and do it. - you sure are in the latter group.

Congratulations for the highly impressive (and very practical) achievement of your project. - it seems to me that a certain amount of pride is warranted as well as excitement. :worship:

Between 1945 and 1980, 502 nuclear weapons have been detonated on or near the earth’s surface and another 8 were detonated underwater for a total yield of 440 megatons (189 Mega-tons from fission bombs, 251 Mega-tons from H-bombs (fusion). That is the equivalent of a medium scale nuclear war and the fallout is still around to prove it. The Cold War has left the world with many tons of high level nuclear waste, fallout and a deadly legacy that will last and be dangerous for many thousands of years.

Plutonium-240, Plutonium-241, Carbon-14, Cesium-137, Iodine-131, and Strontium-90 from these tests are still very much with us and add significantly to the natural background radiation.

Worse still, the plant and animal kingdoms don’t know a radioactive isotope from any other and fix radioisotopes into the food chain.

Radioactive Calcium-41, Potassium-40, and Carbon-14 enter the food chain naturally and have always been there. Now Cesium-137 and Strontium-90 are finding their way into the food chain. They have the identical quantum electron configuration to their cousins Potassium and Calcium just above them in the periodic table. Biological systems treat them as if they were just the same fixing these radioactive elements into the very blood and bones of plants animals and US.

Uranium based reactors are probably on their way out. No new ones have been built since 1974. Despite that, there are 100 operational nuclear plants in the United States providing nearly one fifth of the nation’s total power grid.

There are no easy answers here. We simply can’t flip a switch turn them off and forget about them. Each plant has tons of active and spent nuclear material and associated wastes.

There are new reactor designs based on the Thorium fuel cycle. Thorium is an attractive fuel. It cannot be used to weapons proliferation, there are much less in the way of waste products and the designs promise much safer operations. Many technical questions remain but research and tests are being carried out in the US, China and India.

Research into hydrogen fusion based reactors is ongoing but the best indications are that is decades away.

In the meantime it looks like we’re stuck with our Cold War legacy of Uranium based weapons and power plants and they must be handled with great care.

Edited by jamessavik