I almost threw my laptop out the window

flashpoint2008

So, my desktop hard-drives are approaching their respective end of lives, and as a result require quite a bit of TLC, no problem, I'm dangerous enough with tech stuff to fix most things.

What does one do when you are in a can't boot situation, well, you get on your laptop and create a few CDs to help you out, problem was, I had updated a few things on my laptop I shouldn't have and my CD-burner was out of wack. No problem, did the google thing, solution, update the driver, DOH.

Here is where it all went sideways for a bit. Said driver for my DVD / CD-burner, which is needed to get the damn thing to work, WAS AN ISO WHICH NEEDS TO BE BURNED ONTO A CD TO BE USED. How frackin stupid is that?!?!?!?!

Like I said, I know enough tech stuff so I worked around the issue, but COME ON, I can just imagine the frustration this would cause most average users.

FYI: Just because I know I will be asked, a very old IBM laptop which is just barely good enough for browsing.

My mom's worked for IBM for almost 40 years now and I can safely say that if I've learned anything in my life from her it's that you do NOT buy IBM laptops. They ALWAYS break. For some reason we've never had much of a problem with the desktops though.

if your computer has an USB port and an option to select which drive to boot from (or if you know how to change that)

you can burn the iso to a USB thumbdrive, and boot from there instead.

YB: that's why you don't need CD/DVD drives anymore :P