Internet 8, firefox and google chrome.

zland666

Help... All three of these programs I have and all of them love to crash. Even on gay authors I had to retype this thread several times before I finally wrote it on open office and pasted this here because it kept crashing. I tried uninstalling them all and putting them back on, doing the same with java, making sure all the updates on my computer were installed and it still does it. Could it be because my computer keeps shutting down with a blue screen with a bunch of codes and then beeps three times like a freaking alarm, before I can turn it back on? Is it a virus? Anybody good with computers, or can someone help me pweaseee?

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Is that bluescreen really your computer, or just an example? If you are getting bluescreens, there is a problem with driver software or with a hardware component in the computer. The important line in that bluescreen you linked is the STOP: line - the error code here is showing that there is either a video or BIOS problem. Have you updated your video drivers lately, or any other updates?

If you are getting blue screens consistently, you need to have the machine looked at by someone that can diagnose hardware problems. For now, let's concentrate on trying to fix some things without diving into the hardware.

If your browsers are all crashing, that indicates something with your Internet settings, probably something like misbehaving toolbars and/or browser add-ons, are the problem.

In your start menu, look for "Internet Explorer (No Addons)" and try to run it. Do the sites you visit crash with that version of the browser? If so, it's a problem with addons, and there may be some spyware or a trojan causing you grief.

Here's what to try:

- Download this and run it - it's called Malwarebytes AntiMalware. It will install, then it will want to update a definition database, and then it will want you to start a trial version of the software. Do all those things EXCEPT accepting the trial, you want to decline the trial, and you will be left with a free version of the software.

After it is installed, it will recommend you run a "Quick Scan". Do so. At the end, click the Show Results button, and then "remove selected". Reboot. See if the problem persists.

Then:

What antivirus software are you running? Is it up to date, or is your subscription expired? If it is expired, use Add/Remove programs and remove it. Then go download this, which is Microsoft Security Essentials and is very good, and free. After it installs, it will also want to download some updates, and then run a scan. Run a full scan on the PC. Clean or remove anything you find, and then reboot.

If you have good antivirus, start it up and run a full system scan. Remove anything it finds, and then reboot.

After the reboot, click the start menu, and in the Run box, type CMD and then press enter. in the black box that appears, type this

netsh winsock reset

..and then press enter. It will reset a catalog, and then tell you to reboot. Ignore that for the moment.

Now, find a Windows XP disk. It doesn't have to be YOUR windows XP disk, anyone will work. Put it in the drive, and then inthe black CMD box, type this

sfc /scannow

...and press enter, then go get a coffee, this will take a little while. This scans for files that have been removed or damaged by spyware or viruses, and copies them back from the XP disk onto the system. When its done, reboot.

Run Windows update. Download the most current updates for the machine and the browser. Reboot.

If all THAT doesn't work, boot the system, go to Help and Support, and look for System Restore. Use System Restore (just follow the prompts) to return your computer to a time when you weren't having all these problems, but not more than about 5 days if you can help it. You won't lose any documents by using system restore, but you will have to reinstall any software or printers that were installed in the timeframe you restored back from.

PM me if you have trouble! You have enough to do here to last a day or so...

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD

Is that bluescreen really your computer, or just an example? If you are getting bluescreens, there is a problem with driver software or with a hardware component in the computer...

This is excellent advice, Nephylim. It might sound complicated, but if you think about it being a recipe I think you'll find it easier to follow. Or, get a more geeky friend to sit in and follow these steps.

Colin Posted Image

This is some thing you also have to keep in mind when it comes to Chrome or Firefox the updates are ongoing and ever changing if you just updated it would be best if you just deleted looked for a old sevice pack and download it :) ....... also with you running xp it might be best if you did not update them at all every thing has gone to windows 7 it seems and that might be glithich out your computer.. do you have antivires on your computer??? maybe corupted data or kernal?? blue screan of death is system and not web browser :)