So, Windows 8...

Gene Splicer PHD

After converting to Apple, I've realized how much Microsoft and PCs in general suck. I'll stick to Apple OS, thanks.

Ha! Have you seen Lion yet? Lion's release was the very first time I heard people being more negative about an Apple OS than a Microsoft one. I can't run it on my Mac, but I've installed it a couple of times. I don't think it was the leap forward they were looking for.

Windows 8 is about HTML5. And HTML5 is microsofts handle on Smartphone apps - which is where the money trail leads.

No question, and the sooner the better, in my opinion. More HTML5 = less Flash, which demise cannot come soon enough for me..

Well we should not forget LINUX gave its users two User Interfaces ...

All ... I hear is that the users chose what suited them ... and then now there is so many available ...

I wonder when will we have Linux on tablets ??

Well in come the WePADs or EPADS .... 100 dollars ... now that's a price many can afford ... its seem more powerful than kindle

http://techietonic.com/list-of-linux-running-tablet-pc-os-edition-comparison-2011/

No question, and the sooner the better, in my opinion. More HTML5 = less Flash, which demise cannot come soon enough for me..

Couldn't agree more Gene! And .flv is a pain too. At least YouTube converts all it's videos now to H.264 codec movs so they play on mobile platforms. Flash has had its day - I mean have you ever tried to create a flash animation? It was a nightmare!

• 3 months later...

Microsofts shows off their tablet

http://news.cnet.com...4.html?tag=yhoo

[media=]

[/media]

http://games.yahoo.c...-002554005.html

Microsoft isn't actually manufacturing these new tablets itself -- just as it doesn't actually "make" the Xbox or the now defunct Zune media player. But it will be putting the Microsoft name on these devices. And this, many have speculated, will set up Microsoft as a head-to-head competitor with its own PC maker partners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8klHxUoFds

Edited by hh5

The news says the ms tablet keyboard wasn't working ... Ballmer never showed the it working

I wonder how Apple handled things when ipad1 was being developed

Stupid Microsoft is trying to steal a unique feature of my Asus Transformer Prime, where's the lawyers in the room :P

Although, I hear that a Microsoft 8 version of my Transformer Prime will be out soon (NO!!!!!!!!!!).

I wonder when will we have Linux on tablets ??

Linux is embedded in a lot of stuff.

Android is the big one but you find it in other places too. Kind of under-the-hood you might say.

In the cash registers that I install, they run Linux and load Java programs to communicate with the Point of Sale systems.

Ha! Have you seen Lion yet? Lion's release was the very first time I heard people being more negative about an Apple OS than a Microsoft one. I can't run it on my Mac, but I've installed it a couple of times. I don't think it was the leap forward they were looking for.

I think one of the major selling points of Lion was that it was only $29

Performance wise, I remember being pretty impressed by it when I first updated from Snow Leopard. Since it was so long ago, I've completely forgotten what all were new that i was so "ooooo....ahhhhh" about...I think it was the "mission control" or whatever it's called and all the improvements to the multi touch pad....5 fingers work magic on a mac, but all you mac users already know that. I have Windows 7 on bootcamp but I never use it...it's not user friendly to me. Even though we already have MS Office for windows at home, I rebought the mac version just so I don't have to keep switching over to the Windows boot every time I needed to use it....Parallel Desktop use to do a great job running both but I realized that the more you use it, the more it kinda permanently suck up your memories...not sure if this has happened to other users...but I had to get rid of it when it started eating up my rams even though I upgraded to the max allowed.

Edited by Y_B

• 1 month later...

LOL LOL Lame Branding Name ... I knew about this long before ... METRO the word that is use so much in europe!!

gosh who got that PHD or Masters to come up with METRO ... lol someone who doesn't travel very much outside the USA

chalk this up with NOVA ... in mexico means "NO GO!!"

Microsoft confirmed today that it will indeed be ditching the Metro branding for Windows 8, and said it plans to introduce a new brand sometime later this week. We had a feeling that something like this was going to happen, thanks to this week’s leak of internal Microsoft memos which signaled such a change. Apparently, Microsoft’s decision to dump the branding comes from talks with “an important European partner” that left the company without much choice in the matter. To put it simply, Microsoft probably picked the term “Metro” without realizing that one its partners already held the trademark.

Edited by hh5