New bill would protect Apollo landing sites, would it?

hh5

The Apollo Lunar Landing Legacy Act would establish a National Historical Park on the moon, and protect areas where Apollo missions left footprints, or equipment.

“As commercial enterprises and foreign nations acquire the ability to land on the moon it is necessary to protect the Apollo landing sites for posterity; and establishing the Historical Park under this Act will expand and enhance the protection and preservation of the Apollo lunar landing sites and provide for greater recognition and public understanding of this singular achievement in American history,” the legislation reads.

I'm not sure they have to worry about this for the near future, but who is going to police the site and make certain nothing happens?  It weems to me that it would be more expensive to transport people there to protect the artifacts than they're worth.  If they are that important, then collect them and bring them back to the Smithsonian Museum for greater numbers of people to view. 

The Apollo Lunar Landing Legacy Act would establish a National Historical Park on the moon, and protect areas where Apollo missions left footprints, or equipment.

“As commercial enterprises and foreign nations acquire the ability to land on the moon it is necessary to protect the Apollo landing sites for posterity; and establishing the Historical Park under this Act will expand and enhance the protection and preservation of the Apollo lunar landing sites and provide for greater recognition and public understanding of this singular achievement in American history,” the legislation reads.

Sorry to rain on their parade, but ... no-one owns the Moon!  :lol:

lol, no atmosphere on the moon to rain there :lol:

Sorry to rain on their parade, but ... no-one owns the Moon!  :lol:

Within the next 10 years, the U.S., China, Israel, and a host of private companies plan to set up camp on the moon. So if and when they plant a flag, does that give them property rights?
A NASA working group hosted a discussion this week to ask: who owns the moon? The answer, of course, is no one. The Outer Space Treaty, the international law signed by more than 100 countries, states that the moon and other celestial bodies are the province of all mankind. No doubt that would irk all of the people throughout the ages, like monks from the Middle Ages, who have tried to claim the moon was theirs.
But ownership is different from property rights. People who rent apartments, for example, don't own where they live, but they still hold rights. So with all of the upcoming missions to visit the moon and beyond, space industry thought leaders are seriously asking themselves how to deal with a potential land rush, cowboy-style.

He can try to sell land on the moon that ok , but the stupid people that pay him money for that land are crazy. If man every live of the moon will the Russian or North Korean or whoever agree you own that land . Or do he think we will go to war on the moon so this people can keep there land this is so stupid.

Funny Article

http://www.vice.com/read/ive-owned-the-moon-since-1980

81942e69986e598f9146280cfae7f017.jpg

VICE: How did you end up owning and selling off chunks of the moon?
Dennis M. Hope: I started in 1980 when I was going through a divorce. I was out of money and thought maybe I could make some if I owned some property, then I looked out the window, saw the moon, and thought, Hey, there's a load of property! So I went to the library, looked up the 1968 Outer Space Treaty and, sure enough, Article 2 states: "No nation by appropriation shall have sovereignty or control over any of the satellite bodies." Meaning it was unowned land. 

But how did you acquire it?
I just filed a claim of ownership for the moon, the other eight planets and their moons, and sent it to the United Nations with a note stating that my intent was to subdivide and sell the property to anybody who wanted it. I told them that if they had a legal problem with it they should please let me know.

Did they ever get back to you?
They never responded. Shame on them! I've never had a challenge to my claim of ownership by any government on this planet, period. I’ve had a lot of people telling me I don’t have the right to do this, but that’s just their opinion.

So how much land have you sold so far?
Well, this is the only job I’ve had since 1995, which is when I started doing this full time. We’ve sold 611 million acres of land on the moon, 325 million acres on Mars, and a combined 125 million acres on Venus, Io, and Mercury.

Edited by hh5

• Site Administrator

As per that quote in hh5's post above, a bill to protect the Apollo landing sites (which I think would be a good thing to do) would fall afoul of the 1968 Outer Space Treaty. The USA does not have the legal power to declare part of the moon as a protected area.

So how much land have you sold so far?
Well, this is the only job I’ve had since 1995, which is when I started doing this full time. We’ve sold 611 million acres of land on the moon, 325 million acres on Mars, and a combined 125 million acres on Venus, Io, and Mercury.

"a fool and his money are soon parted"  :D

I heard Spielberg, and others bought some

In their case it will be a joke thing to hang the certificate on the wall ... probably in the lavatory :lol:

no one can own the moon according to our own treaties....

but then how often do we break our treaties....

also I'd like to see the U.S. back said park up... talk about a fool and his money that would be a lot of money...

Btw did the treaty say the entire solar body or any part of it, cuz look what the U.S. and others did to Antartica.... we own part of it as does three or more other nations.... (that's how colonization usually works in piecemeal...)

I don't think Anyone is going to even try to colonize any place within the next 50 years..... rich companies or not...