ASMR- Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

Ieshwar

ASMR- Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

ASMR is "is a neologism for a recently described perceptual phenomenon characterized as a distinct, pleasurable tingling sensation in the head, scalp, back, or peripheral regions of the body in response to visual, auditory, olfactory, and/or cognitive stimuli." This article- ASMR- Free, Intensely Pleasurable Relaxation for a Lucky Few- seems to be more useful and understandable. 

It should be noted that it isn't backed by any scientific research.

One of the stimuli is haircuts. But doesn't everyone experience this? I thought it was a universal thing.  Having someone "handling" you so closely is so intimate, not in the sexual sense of course. There's always this weird (yet pleasant) tingle. 

Once one of my friends took my pencil and using it or playing with it. I don't remember exactly but I sure remember the feeling. I was transfixed by the sight of his fingers on my pencil- something which was mine, which I use everyday. It felt so intimate (that's the closest word I can think of right now). It was a trance-like feeling, I'm sure of it. It was so strong (much stronger than the haircuts). This happened only twice. 

So, does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone here ever experienced it?

Ieshwar

Yeah, haircuts definitely. Touch is an incredibly powerful sense. I think we're programmed to need it right from birth - babies respond to being touched and if they don't get it then it can badly affect their development. As we get older we tend to get less touch and in many cultures touch has become taboo - this is wrong and very damaging to us emotionally. So when someone is touched and, say, they've been deprived of touch it can almost overload the senses. We need to touch more, hug more. We are tactile creatures :)

Touching works for me only together with scent. If someone smells good I like their touch and sometimes even get the tingling sensation, otherwise it makes me jump out of my skin. Haircut is bad, it always stinks of weird hairproducts and uh...scissors are bad too.

I love being touched. I like having my hair touched, my shoulders rubbed, my hand held, anything. It makes me feel closer to people and it makes me feel closer to myself. If I'm alone for a long time, what I miss isn't the conversation or anything like that, it's the touch.

Hm, read the article now, and I know the feeling they're describing... The head-tingling thing? I know I feel that, but I don't think I get it from auditory or visual stimuli... I think I get it from reading. Does that make sense?

and uh...scissors are bad too.

Yeah, stabby scissors SNIP! SNIP! SNIP! Always a bit of a worry near the ears and eyes - might be a trainee on work experience :o

Reminds me I had weird phobia as a small kid - hated the tips of my ears being touched. Bit of a problem at a barber's as I wriggled and squirmed in the seat. Amazed I got to adulthood :lol:

Edited by Zombie

I am an ASMR kid. my triggers are whispering, soft tapping, mouth sounds, binaural whispering and breathing is awesome. sometimes crinkles are good too.

the best place to explore ASMR is on youtube, where there are any number of ASMR artists who makes videos for the tinglyness and relaxation of others. My favourite of these is a lovely russian lady called Maria: GentleWhispering and the oh-so-talented ASMRequests, who does a favulous selection of videos including off world Sci-fi roleplays. cool eh?

as far as i know, not everyone 'has' ASMR and some people have different triggers than others. i think most people like having their hair washed/touched etc, but that will depend on how tactile you are and how much empathy you have. IRL, i know very few other people who experience the tingles associated with ASMR.

no idea if i have experienced this Phenomon,

I can safely say it wasn't getting a haircut... with my mother it's kind of violent... pulling tugging pushing your head side to side... I guess i never got over that, cuz no beautican or barber was like that... other than my mom...