Marwwidge - It's whut bwings us together.........

Steve3

Hi Folks - Quick question to the knowledgeable here.

Jim and I live in the wonderfully redneck, and backwards state of Texas.  :,(

After 22 years together, we wanna get married. :wizard:

The advantage to us living in Texas is that more progressive Federal Laws will soon supersede backwards/bigoted state law.

From those with the knowledge, of the US gay-marrying states, which is the most friendly, or maybe just the most efficient and legal with the idea of a out-of-state gay couple poppin in for a few days, spending couple thousand, getting married, and high-tailing it back home?

Thanks so much!!

Steve/Jim

• Like 3

Steve, I would be the last person who should give advice in this area.  I couldn't resist offering my congratulations to you and Jim.

I wish you all the best.

Love Princess Bride.

Mike

Edited by MikeL

Yeah, congrats to you both. I believe you have to be a resident in Massachusetts where I live. I would think a quick internet search would cough up the answer for you. Good luck and good fortune.

Ask.com supplied this:

Q: What states can gay couples get married in?

A: Not legal advice: there are 6 places where same-sex marriages can take place: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Washington DC. Read More »

Source: www.kgbanswers.com

Personal opinion - all the new england states would be georgeous this time of year!

And congratulations.  May you have many more happy years together!

Edited by Kitt

Steve,

First, congrats - Mike and I did last weekend after 18 years - so I understand the feeling of 'finally' being allowed to do it and have it be more than just symbolic.

i won't reiterate what Kitt posted, but I will warn you about DC in the near future - right now the court is running on emergency funds - they don't know how long they will keep open all non-essential functions.  Essential functions are criminal/juvenile, Domestic Violence [really part of criminal but they made it a separate court so the problem wouldn't get lost in the mix], child abuse and neglect, civil protection orders and that's about it. Adoptions, marriage licenses, civil case etc, things that aren't vital - although one would say to those affected they are essential - those agencies won't be open.  So you may want to give DC a pass if you're planning to do it right away.

One thing to give a thought to  - there really is a marriage penalty tax wise from Uncle Sam.  Even if you get married on 12-31-13, your going to have to pay the increased tax for the entire of 2013.  We did it this year and not in February as planned because of benefits - Mike is with the Feds and their open season on Benefits is mid-November - mid December and we wanted to be able to convert to his health insurance from mine.  [at least that was the plan until this tea party led foolishness happened ] So unless you need to do it right away - you might want to wait a couple months.  

Good luck and congrats again.

Andy

• Like 4